Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

What Mallett brings as a (full-time) Starter

We've all seen what Mallett does in fits and starts, and both times it has been to replace someone not getting the job done. And the back-up QB is always the most popular guy on the team, so thought I would take a realistic stab at what we can expect should Mallett seize this opportunity to entrench himself as the full time starter.

Pros:
- Great tempo guy and good pocket presence
- Does the "system" justice by getting the ball out quickly/timely
- Seems to be able to get through progressions quickly
- Canon of an arm that allows him to make every throw
- Believes he can make every throw and will put it into places that others can't (see 2pt conversion)

Cons:
- Believes he can make every throw, even the ones that shouldn't go in those places
- He will throw interceptions. This is the nature of the beast for guys who think they can put it anywhere (see Favre)
- Ugly scrambles. Like watching Yao Ming trying to steal second base. Can't rely on him to consistently pick up those 1sts downs with his feet like Fitzy did.
- Gamer. And cocky. Needs to be able to get his teammates to see him as a leader and that takes more than swagger.

Feel free to add...

What we've seen from Mallett

1. Above avg game
2. Below avg game playing hurt
3. Putting the same amount of points on the board in 6 mins than Hoyer did the whole game.

BOB apparently agrees that it is time to roll the dice on Mallett before the season goes down the drain. After seeing the results of the last 10 games that Hoyer has started you really cant blame BOB for this position. Even though BOB probably respects Hoyer more than he respects Mallett.

Oh yeah? Well back when I was a DJ at a strip club called Lipstick off the Southwest Fwy back in the day. Haywood Jeffires, Ernest Givens and Cris Dishman used to come in and motorboat strippers titties in the back of the club in the dark.
5xu0j5.jpg

That's only suppose to happen in the back and in the dark? Learn something new every day! Note to self...

What we've seen from Mallett

1. Above avg game
2. Below avg game playing hurt
3. Putting the same amount of points on the board in 6 mins than Hoyer did the whole game.

BOB apparently agrees that it is time to roll the dice on Mallett before the season goes down the drain. After seeing the results of the last 10 games that Hoyer has started you really cant blame BOB for this position. Even though BOB probably respects Hoyer more than he respects Mallett.

Me and a buddy were discussing this earlier. Pretty much agree with your post. Seems we brought Hoyer in to be the best practice QB I guess. To me Mallet brings poise and a rocket arm. I don't care what BOB does or doesn't like about Mallet off field, as long as he's not out getting arrested suspended whatever and he is producing on the field thats what matters to me.

Me and a buddy were discussing this earlier. Pretty much agree with your post. Seems we brought Hoyer in to be the best practice QB I guess. To me Mallet brings poise and a rocket arm. I don't care what BOB does or doesn't like about Mallet off field, as long as he's not out getting arrested suspended whatever and he is producing on the field thats what matters to me.

I bought OB's bullshit about Hoyer hook, line, and sinker but it's clear that he doesn't have some magic dust that can turn Hoyer from a frog into a prince. So that begs the question why he is here at all. I'm praying that OB brought him in to motivate Mallett somehow. Maybe force him to push himself harder in practice or film study or something. I don't know. I'm struggling to see why he is here instead of Fitz at this point.

It's what we had too much of in the Kubiak era and not enough of in the OB era.

Isn't it strange that the same TE's put up such drastically different statistics in each coaches offense ? Both with less than average QB play.

Graham in 2013 under Kubiak - 13 games , 49 receptions , 545 yards , 5 TD's , 8 plays of 20+ yards. 26 first downs.

Graham in 2014 under OB - 11 games , 18 receptions , 197 yards , 1TD , 2 plays of 20+ yards. 10 first downs

2015 - 0 Catches , 0 Yards , 0 TD's.

Ryan Griffin in 2013 under Kubiak - 15 games , 19 receptions , 244 yards , 1TD , 1 play over 20+ yards , 14 first downs.

Ryan Griffin in 2014 under OB - 16 games , 10 receptions , 91 yards , 1TD , 1 play over 20+ , 5 first downs.

Ryan Griffin in 2015 - 1 game , 1 catch 18 yards , 1 first down.

I bought OB's bullshit about Hoyer hook, line, and sinker but it's clear that he doesn't have some magic dust that can turn Hoyer from a frog into a prince. So that begs the question why he is here at all. I'm praying that OB brought him in to motivate Mallett somehow. Maybe force him to push himself harder in practice or film study or something. I don't know. I'm struggling to see why he is here instead of Fitz at this point.

He was wrong.

That's only suppose to happen in the back and in the dark? Learn something new every day! Note to self...
They had to keep up their reputations as fine upstanding citizens of the community ya know. Once we moved next door and changed the name to Micheal's International we had a VIP room so no need for dark corners in the back of the club anymore.

Yeah, I actually liked Fitz as a person. He gained my respect for toughness. Every time I see Hoyer's face I want to punch him. He reminds me of someone I used to have to deal with in business and I always wanted to punch that guy too. I would have rather either kept Fitzy, or just rolled with Mallett and Savage with another dude on the PS.

To be honest , at this point I'd prefer Fitzy over Hoyer .... He showed us last year he could limit his mistakes & let the running game & defense do the heavy lifting - they had the second highest turnover margin the entire NFL (Tied for 2nd) with Fitz at the controls for the majority .... At least it gives them a chance to win if the running game & defense can do their part.

Might have to give the Chiefs a bit of credit tho .... they lost the turnover battle against a pretty solid Bronco's team 5-1 and were headed to overtime if not for that last fatal mistake.

Isn't it strange that the same TE's put up such drastically different statistics in each coaches offense ? Both with less than average QB play.

Graham in 2013 under Kubiak - 13 games , 49 receptions , 545 yards , 5 TD's , 8 plays of 20+ yards. 26 first downs.

Graham in 2014 under OB - 11 games , 18 receptions , 197 yards , 1TD , 2 plays of 20+ yards. 10 first downs

2015 - 0 Catches , 0 Yards , 0 TD's.

Ryan Griffin in 2013 under Kubiak - 15 games , 19 receptions , 244 yards , 1TD , 1 play over 20+ yards , 14 first downs.

Ryan Griffin in 2014 under OB - 16 games , 10 receptions , 91 yards , 1TD , 1 play over 20+ , 5 first downs.

Ryan Griffin in 2015 - 1 game , 1 catch 18 yards , 1 first down.

Not really, different coaches use different schemes.

I am probably wrong, but I am thinking maybe Hoyer was brought here because of familiarity with the system maybe? Either way, I've never liked Hoyer, especially after watching him play against us last season and after Cleveland let him walk in favor of Manziel and McCown. And IIRC we are paying Hoyer $5 mil a year? :kubepalm:

I am probably wrong, but I am thinking maybe Hoyer was brought here because of familiarity with the system maybe? Either way, I've never liked Hoyer, especially after watching him play against us last season and after Cleveland let him walk in favor of Manziel and McCown. And IIRC we are paying Hoyer $5 mil a year? :kubepalm:
As things stand, $5 million is an expensive lesson. At least, next year we can avoid another $5 mil lesson.

To be honest , at this point I'd prefer Fitzy over Hoyer .... He showed us last year he could limit his mistakes & let the running game & defense do the heavy lifting - they had the second highest turnover margin the entire NFL (Tied for 2nd) with Fitz at the controls for the majority .... At least it gives them a chance to win if the running game & defense can do their part.

Might have to give the Chiefs a bit of credit tho .... they lost the turnover battle against a pretty solid Bronco's team 5-1 and were headed to overtime if not for that last fatal mistake.

Fitz took so much crap on this board last year but how many times did he scramble for first downs on 3rd down? How many hits did he take for the team? Seemed like it happened at least 1-2 times per game. Dude was limited physically but he had guts and seemed like a true leader. I got none of that from Hoyer. He's limited physically but doesn't have the guts or the attitude to take himself above his perceived ceiling. When things get tough he mopes around instead of nutting up. He's the anti-Fitzpatrick.

I freaking loved Ryan Fitzpatrick. Obviously we want more than just a game manager at QB but if we had to have one, I'd take Fitz any day.

Fitz took so much crap on this board last year but how many times did he scramble for first downs on 3rd down? How many hits did he take for the team? Seemed like it happened at least 1-2 times per game. Dude was limited physically but he had guts and seemed like a true leader. I got none of that from Hoyer. He's limited physically but doesn't have the guts or the attitude to take himself above his perceived ceiling. When things get tough he mopes around instead of nutting up. He's the anti-Fitzpatrick.

I freaking loved Ryan Fitzpatrick. Obviously we want more than just a game manager at QB but if we had to have one, I'd take Fitz any day.

I didn't get any of that from Hoyer. He was the first guy off the sideline to high-five Mallett after scoring a TD against KC.

I don't want to see Hoyer take another snap, but it's not for lack of effort, attitude, or team-ness.

I didn't get any of that from Hoyer. He was the first guy off the sideline to high-five Mallett after scoring a TD against KC.

I don't want to see Hoyer take another snap, but it's not for lack of effort, attitude, or team-ness.

I'm not questioning his ability as a teammate. I'm talking about when he got the hook last week and he just walked around the sideline kicking rocks for 10 minutes. That's why he'll never be a starting talent. That's not the kind of attitude that perseveres through tough times.

I'm not questioning his ability as a teammate. I'm talking about when he got the hook last week and he just walked around the sideline kicking rocks for 10 minutes. That's why he'll never be a starting talent. That's not the kind of attitude that perseveres through tough times.

Never going to understand the need to demonize people. Hoyer wants it. He just doesn't have it.

Desire and ability aren't the same.

Desire can unleash your maximum ability, won't change it. Rudy will never play when it counts.

Never going to understand the need to demonize people. Hoyer wants it. He just doesn't have it.

Desire and ability aren't the same.

Desire can unleash your maximum ability, won't change it. Rudy will never play when it counts.

I'm not trying to demonize him. I'm just saying I didn't like his attitude after he got pulled and I think his mentality is a contributing factor to him falling on his face.

I wanted Mallett as #1 after camp but bought into Hoyer as starter. Now is the game for Mallett to show me something. I'm pumped up for this game and expect an exciting finish.

I'm not trying to demonize him. I'm just saying I didn't like his attitude after he got pulled and I think his mentality is a contributing factor to him falling on his face.
It's interesting that those who LIKED the competitiveness in Mallett for not liking losing the starting job are also the same who fail to see the same competitiveness in Hoyer.

It's interesting that those who LIKED the competitiveness in Mallett for not liking losing the starting job are also the same who fail to see the same competitiveness in Hoyer.

You don't think their disappointment came across differently?

I haven't said one way or the other how I felt about either handling the news, but I know one handled it one way, & the other handled it differently.

I will say this though, I was disappointed BigTex didn't congratulate Hoyer for winning the job right there & then. Should have been the first thing out of his mouth.

I was impressed with Hoyer, that he came out to celebrate with Mallett after the first TD throw.

This was an ugly game. Mallet has been one of the most inaccurate QBs I've ever seen in an NFL game.
He really needs a breakdown of the incompletions today. I saw several drops. Several poor throws and a couple of strategic incompletions. There has rarely been a game with so many different types of incompletions to account for.

He really needs a breakdown of the incompletions today. I saw several drops. Several poor throws and a couple of strategic incompletions. There has rarely been a game with so many different types of incompletions to account for.

Little touch...

1q

0848 grimes completion
0808 mumphrey incomplete

2q

0450 incomplete flag
0154 incomplete
111 incomplete

3q

0936 hopkins completion
0833 touchdown graham

4q

0754 complete
0642 wtf?
0244 incomplete
0151 complete
0013 hopkins incomplete

Not a clean pocket and no running game ---- but he threw at toes a lot today. He did nothing to help himself at least 3-5 times today.
How many of those toe throws were under pressure? If you don't like mallet it's cool but if you wanna beat brady, Rodgers etc you get after them like today. I don't see how you realistically grade mallet today when his oline was a joke and his wrs had how many drops?

How many of those toe throws were under pressure? If you don't like mallet it's cool but if you wanna beat brady, Rodgers etc you get after them like today. I don't see how you realistically grade mallet today when his oline was a joke and his wrs had how many drops?

The oline did suck today but Mallett killed drives plenty. Dont sugar coat a turd. It's still a turd.

The oline did suck today but Mallett killed drives plenty. Dont sugar coat a turd. It's still a turd.
I see what your saying but mallet isn't elite. So he needs protection. DUH. He won't make his oline better. Do you think hoyer would have won today? Elite qbs can get by with average protection. That's why they're elite. What's your solution?

I'm not going to sit here and "defend" Mallett, but he rarely had time to drop back and set, and I saw a lot of drops that hit receivers in the hands. With that being said I still think "bad Mallett" looked better than what we saw from Hoyer in game 1, neither were very good.

Given the O line was trash, I think he did ok. This and the previous game had him going against some strong defenses, hopefully once the offensive line stabilizes he might start playing like he does in the second half of games at the beginning.

Well, he should get some more starts to fill out his film portfolio so a more "realistic" grade can be assigned. However, he has now started three games in his career. If we have to throw out one because of injury and one because "it was someone else's fault", I start to wonder how long it will take before he can be evaluated.

On the flipside, if we just look at the Cleveland game he is still a monster!

I see what your saying but mallet isn't elite. So he needs protection. DUH. He won't make his oline better. Do you think hoyer would have won today? Elite qbs can get by with average protection. That's why they're elite. What's your solution?

I dont recall pimping hoyer or Mallett. Elite qbs are a rare breed and we'd be stupid to expect as much from our qb. The solution? A healthy ol and foster back i'd hope.

Mallett getting a lot of excuses in here for some of the same things Hoyer was crucified for last week.

Mallett should finish out the season as the starter. He can learn from this and improve. He can still get better.

But don't you guys sit here and pretend he didn't make tons of mistakes today. That's not absolving anyone else of their mistakes. OL was sketchy the whole game and the WRs had plenty of drops. But Mallett was a check down machine and he left yards all over the field with missed throws.

I dont recall pimping hoyer or Mallett. Elite qbs are a rare breed and we'd be stupid to expect as much from our qb. The solution? A healthy ol and foster back i'd hope.
A healthy oline and foster would do wonders for hoyer or mallet. But we don't have that. We dont. Hoyer or mallet are screwed with what they have to work with. This season is done. Not because of qb play but because we have no oline or rb depth. And drops by wrs don't help anything

sometimes mallet holds on to the ball too long and there were times he had good protection and he threw the ball in the dirt or overshot his target.

he has an arm but what's the point if you have no touch? it's like a 1000hp muscle car that can't get grip and put the power to the ground.

i'm not blaming it all on him but he should have some accountability to his poor play.

A healthy oline and foster would do wonders for hoyer or mallet. But we don't have that. We dont. Hoyer or mallet are screwed with what they have to work with. This season is done. Not because of qb play but because we have no oline or rb depth. And drops by wrs don't help anything

Ive no clue what we're arguing about as we seem to have the same opinion.

I still think mallet has game. But not behind the crap in front of him. And it is crap in front of him and nothing behind him.

I don't know if Mullet has game because of the crap in front of him and the nothing but crap behind him ..... But I KNOW Hoyer doesn't have game .... need to continue the experiment with Mullet .... for the duration of the season. Either he gets it or he doesn't.

Hoyer was hot garbage in that first game, borderline dumpster fire. Mallett wasn't perfect yesterday, but does anyone honestly believe Hoyer would have been better? I don't think anyone here is making excuses for Mallett, he's just the only option at the moment.

Back