Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

What Mallett brings as a (full-time) Starter

Part of me can't help but wonder if O'Brien is playing Jedi mind games with Mallett to test him. Yanking a starting QB after only 3 quarters of football reveals absolutely no faith or confidence in the guy, like he never really intended to make him the starting QB for long term. Just speculation on my part, but the whole thing this week is straight up weird and something I have never seen with Houston pro football in many decades.

I don't have a theory even - it's just bizarre.

OB knew the great majority of fans wanted Mallett, was defensive all offseason, stayed resolute to what it appears he wanted the whole time and then yanked Hoyer honestly when a slight wind blew, actually for play that looked exactly Hoyer. I was really expecting Fitz 2.0 -> way too many games to play his way out of the job.

Frankly I'm uneasy we're about to see a yank the QB yo-yo.

I don't have a theory even - it's just bizarre.

OB knew the great majority of fans wanted Mallett, was defensive all offseason, stayed resolute to what it appears he wanted the whole time and then yanked Hoyer honestly when a slight wind blew, actually for play that looked exactly Hoyer. I was really expecting Fitz 2.0 -> way too many games to play his way out of the job.

Worried about the same thing.

I suspect that OB intended all along for Mallett to take the starting job at some point this season, that he was hoping it would be in preseason, but that didn't happen, and that Hoyer just fast-forwarded the time-table by laying a rotten egg in game 1. Otherwise, it might have been game 5, 11, who knows?

How can you not hope that a guy with Mallett's potential beats out a guy with Hoyer's potential? The problem is Mallett didn't do it until 2 possessions very late in Game 1 of the regular season (and it's not really done yet either).

Part of me can't help but wonder if O'Brien is playing Jedi mind games with Mallett to test him. Yanking a starting QB after only 3 quarters of football reveals absolutely no faith or confidence in the guy, like he never really intended to make him the starting QB for long term. Just speculation on my part, but the whole thing this week is straight up weird and something I have never seen with Houston pro football in many decades.

I'm thinking some time after our second offensive possession, he started thinking he probably should have watched the last seven Browns' games from 2014.

I suspect that OB intended all along for Mallett to take the starting job at some point this season, that he was hoping it would be in preseason, but that didn't happen, and that Hoyer just fast-forwarded the time-table by laying a rotten egg in game 1. Otherwise, it might have been game 5, 11, who knows?

How can you not hope that a guy with Mallett's potential beats out a guy with Hoyer's potential? The problem is Mallett didn't do it until 2 possessions very late in Game 1 of the regular season (and it's not really done yet either).

Somebody said last year that O'Brien didn't want Mallett. It was Godsey & Rick Smith that wanted him.

I believe OB wanted Hoyer the whole time.

When "everybody" got all giddy over Mallett in Cleveland, OB was probably saying, "Pfft... it's the system. Trust me." & when Mallett didn't look so good in Cincinnati he probably started all his "consistency" mantra.

But when he saw his boy, in his system, in a real game that counted.... reality bit his ass real quick.

Somebody said last year that O'Brien didn't want Mallett. It was Godsey & Rick Smith that wanted him.

I believe OB wanted Hoyer the whole time.

When "everybody" got all giddy over Mallett in Cleveland, OB was probably saying, "Pfft... it's the system. Trust me." & when Mallett didn't look so good in Cincinnati he probably started all his "consistency" mantra.

But when he saw his boy, in his system, in a real game that counted.... reality bit his ass real quick.

I know it; I'm just hoping OB has learned to listen to my long-distance, jedi-mind control; since I'm usually right, like a whole 10% of the time.

ugh....glad I'm not the only one who has thought this same thing. I didn't want to mention it, but yeah, that would suck and probably cause me to go into DVR mode for the rest of the season. Very little to no hope of a winning season, much less playoffs, with a yo-yo policy at the most important position.

I'm reminded of Tom Landry trying a two-QB system and failing at it. If a genius like Landry cannot make it successful, I'm of the firm belief that it is impossible and should be considered a dead end mentality.

I'm thinking some time after our second offensive possession, he started thinking he probably should have watched the last seven Browns' games from 2014.

That's about the time in the game that you started hearing large swaths of fans at NRG chant "Mallet" over and over. Fans recognized bad QB play due to past experiences at witnessing it.

I think it just comes down to what OB might've expected to happen

I think he expected the situation to play out in training camp and preseason to where 1 guy would clearly rise above the other....didn't happen.
I even think he may have expected that Mallet would be that guy and would demonstrate it with his play......& it didn't really happen.
When he named Hoyer the starter, I think he expected Hoyer to play like a veteran & not make rookie mistakes...and as we all saw it didn't happen.

I just think he wanted the kid to understand that you've got to be on all the time, not just in games when the lights come on, but in practice as well b/c your spot can be taken at any time. The greats understand that. hopefully mission accomplished.

We've all seen what Mallett does in fits and starts, and both times it has been to replace someone not getting the job done. And the back-up QB is always the most popular guy on the team, so thought I would take a realistic stab at what we can expect should Mallett seize this opportunity to entrench himself as the full time starter.

Pros:
- Great tempo guy and good pocket presence
- Does the "system" justice by getting the ball out quickly/timely
- Seems to be able to get through progressions quickly
- Canon of an arm that allows him to make every throw
- Believes he can make every throw and will put it into places that others can't (see 2pt conversion)

Cons:
- Believes he can make every throw, even the ones that shouldn't go in those places
- He will throw interceptions. This is the nature of the beast for guys who think they can put it anywhere (see Favre)
- Ugly scrambles. Like watching Yao Ming trying to steal second base. Can't rely on him to consistently pick up those 1sts downs with his feet like Fitzy did.
- Gamer. And cocky. Needs to be able to get his teammates to see him as a leader and that takes more than swagger.

Feel free to add...

Not sure the relevancy of your questions.

I listed several cons in the OP. And not insignificant ones either.

But you go ahead and keep believing that everyone who wanted Mallett over Hoyer is rubbing out a chubby over his upcoming start.

The reason I ask, Sandman and yes, your coy non-disclosure answered my question, is that (with all due respect) you don't know what you're talking about if you list being a 'Gamer' and having 'Cocky Swagger' as cons.
I'd rather have a gamer ie. someone that steps up when it counts than someone like Hoyer for example, who was "more consistent" at camp, and can't get sh!t done when it matters.
I especially want the cock sure swaggity gamer attitude coming from my qb.
Of course, I played ball from Jr. High through college at OU and Texas Tech and have an appreciation for being cocky.

Then again.. maybe I'm crazy. I just seriously doubt it.
Peace

The reason I ask, Sandman and yes, your coy non-disclosure answered my question, is that (with all due respect) you don't know what you're talking about if you list being a 'Gamer' and having 'Cocky Swagger' as cons.
I'd rather have a gamer ie. someone that steps up when it counts than someone like Hoyer for example, who was "more consistent" at camp, and can't get sh!t done when it matters.
I especially want the cock sure swaggity gamer attitude coming from my qb.
Of course, I played ball from Jr. High through college at OU and Texas Tech and have an appreciation for being cocky.

Peace

Wow, sounds like you were just trying to find a way to brag about playing ball in college. Good for you. I'm very impressed.

I never played a down of football in my life. I did letter in three different sports in high school, captain of the basketball team, valedictorian of my graduating class as well. Then went on to play basketball in college and had a decent career even with two knee surgeries.

So now that we have compared our dicks, let me respond to your post:

"Gamer" was mentioned as a con because "stepping up when it counts" is different from being inconsistent and lacking leadership during the week then turning it on for Sunday. That speaks of lack of discipline and over-reliance on natural talent. Of course we all want the guys who wants to win so bad on Sunday that he will do anything in the game to win. We all want the guy who has a bit of swagger, confident in his ability. But that guy also needs to work as hard Monday through Saturday to be the best he can be on Sunday. See JJ Watt. Mallett needs to show he can be a leader both in and out of the game.

Last edited:
Peace

I almost said something about that appearing under both. What my eyes have told me is the team has gotten a lift with Mallett entering the game. Now start to lose the team somehow and I think cocky will make them turn even faster. Gamer not so much (difference between 'little f'k never thinks he makes a mistake' and 'he makes mistakes but little f'ker never gives up.'

[QUOTE="Mr teX, post: 2526916, member: 8329"
I just think he wanted the kid to understand that you've got to be on all the time, not just in games when the lights come on, but in practice as well b/c your spot can be taken at any time. The greats understand that. hopefully mission accomplished.[/QUOTE]

True. I saw somethingng this past off season tom Brady a football life or something. His teaates & old teaates were saying Brady prepares & practices as if he is still trying to make the team.

I'll prefer to ride it out with Mallett. Hoyer is practice field fool's gold and we all know it. Mallet might not be good enough (We'll see) but if he isn't then we're treading water in 2015 and looking for a QB (still) after that. Some Brian Hoyer action in a season already lost would just delay us further.
That's all I'm saying.

Sandy,

I wasn't attempting to throw my cock on the crap table. I mentioned my resume to fain my diatribe.

I do find it it humorous that you'd attempt to berate me for said quip and then toss out your quibbled highlights dead in the face of your hypocrisy. SMH
I'm thrilled you're impressed with what I've accomplished and liken it to lettering in basket weaving, synchronized knitting and wheelchair basketball. Kudos but.. I couldn't care less.

My point remains.. AND IS EVEN FURTHER REAFFIRMED BY THE FACT YOU'VE NEVER LINED UP AND PLAYED A DOWN IN YOUR LIFE.. that a gamer and a cock strong, sure of himself, leader.. because 'I can make sh!t happen' is what we need and moreover is what a quarterback should be for his team.. is what we must have, son.

Get back to me on the class speech later, Mr. Valedictorian.
How many kids were in that class anyway?
Wait.. Home schooled?

With all due respect, of course.
(I'm patiently waiting to owe some)

I reserve the right to apologize for drinking and posting at any given time but.... I like this one.

Last edited:
Wow, sounds like you were just trying to find a way to brag about playing ball in college. Good for you. I'm very impressed.

I never played a down of football in my life. I did letter in three different sports in high school, captain of the basketball team, valedictorian of my graduating class as well. Then went on to play basketball in college and had a decent career even with two knee surgeries.

So now that we have compared our dicks, let me respond to your post:

"Gamer" was mentioned as a con because "stepping up when it counts" is different from being inconsistent and lacking leadership during the week then turning it on for Sunday. That speaks of lack of discipline and over-reliance on natural talent. Of course we all want the guys who wants to win so bad on Sunday that he will do anything in the game to win. We all want the guy who has a bit of swagger, confident in his ability. But that guy also needs to work as hard Monday through Saturday to be the best he can be on Sunday. See JJ Watt. Mallett needs to show he can be a leader both in and out of the game.

Guys since we're all bragging I was a starting LB in high school and I played against Adrian Peterson when he was a senior in high school and had already committed to OU....

Sure he ran me over 10 plus times on his way to like 600 yards and atleast 6 touchdowns, but one time after he ran me over I did reach out my hand and get a shoe string tackle. BAM........

Guys since we're all bragging I was a starting LB in high school and I played against Adrian Peterson when he was a senior in high school and had already committed to OU....

Sure he ran me over 10 plus times on his way to like 600 yards and atleast 6 touchdowns, but one time after he ran me over I did reach out my hand and get a shoe string tackle. BAM........

Haha that's pretty cool.

Well I was childhood friends with Kevin Matthews (arguably the least talented player of their family) which got me access to Warren Moon's house in Missouri City...yeah that's all I got.

Oh and another friend I had in elementary school won Jeopardy.

Oh yeah? Well back when I was a DJ at a strip club called Lipstick off the Southwest Fwy back in the day. Haywood Jeffires, Ernest Givens and Cris Dishman used to come in and motorboat strippers titties in the back of the club in the dark.
5xu0j5.jpg

Sandy,

I wasn't attempting to throw my cock on the crap table. I mentioned my resume to fain my diatribe.

I do find it it humorous that you'd attempt to berate me for said quip and then toss out your quibbled highlights dead in the face of your hypocrisy. SMH
I'm thrilled you're impressed with what I've accomplished and liken it to lettering in basket weaving, synchronized knitting and wheelchair basketball. Kudos but.. I couldn't care less.

My point remains.. AND IS EVEN FURTHER REAFFIRMED BY THE FACT YOU'VE NEVER LINED UP AND PLAYED A DOWN IN YOUR LIFE.. that a gamer and a cock strong, sure of himself, leader.. because 'I can make sh!t happen' is what we need and moreover is what a quarterback should be for his team.. is what we must have, son.

Get back to me on the class speech later, Mr. Valedictorian.
How many kids were in that class anyway?
Wait.. Home schooled?

With all due respect, of course.
(I'm patiently waiting to owe some)

I reserve the right to apologize for drinking and posting at any given time but.... I like this one.

You're a funny drunk. You're reading comprehension is ****. But that was funny stuff.

Some of the brightest minds never played a down. It carries no weight with me one way or the other.

Let the Valedictorian run the stat numbers but the moment he tries to tell anyone what the mentality of a football player should be when they have no idea, having never played the game.. then it should should carry weight with you and that person should shut their face and get back to crunching numbers.

Oh and Sandy.. why don't you tell me which part I didn't comprehend.
You are correct about one thing, sir.. I am funny.

Let the Valedictorian run the stat numbers but the moment he tries to tell anyone what the mentality of a football player should be when they have no idea, having never played the game.. then it should should carry weight with you and that person should shut their face and get back to crunching numbers.

You joined a few weeks ago and 30 posts in you decide that you have a personal issue with me. You indeed are funny.

Incorrect Sandy.. you decided to puff your chest first. I give better than I get.. and what in the gay does it matter how long I've been posting?
I should wait a few a months to point out you don't know what you're talking about.?.
I'm done with you, Sandmannn... you can't admit when you're wrong or at least admit when your out of your element and depth. Then you try to say I'm not comprehending you but you fail to point out where. I not only question your athletic prowess as a competitor but I'm doubting it was difficult to be #1 whereever your brain trust was from.
Amateur hour, son.

All that said.. no hard feelings. I wasn't intending to come off harsh at first. Maybe you're just a little too defensive. I understand.
Later

With Kuechly out, the Panthers will be subbing A.J Klein. Having played in 31 games, he has logged in 0 Pdefs and 2 sacks (both in 2013). He seems to have been an adequate temporary fill in. But he is slow. He is not going to stay up with anyone coming across the middle or catch anyone from behind or seal the back side. He has been notorious to miss tackles that are even coming right at him................I believe he's going to be a great setup for Mallet to use our TEs across the middle.

With Kuechly out, the Panthers will be subbing A.J Klein. Having played in 31 games, he has logged in 0 Pdefs and 2 sacks (both in 2013). He seems to have been an adequate temporary fill in. But he is slow. He is not going to stay up with anyone coming across the middle or catch anyone from behind or seal the back side. He has been notorious to miss tackles that are even coming right at him................I believe he's going to be a great setup for Mallet to use our TEs across the middle.

What's a TE?

:kitten:

I don't think Mallet is cocky, I think he's supremely confident in himself...there is a massive difference between cockiness and confidence.
I would agree with this. He seems humble and is not arrogant at all. Supremely confident in his talent, but not cocky. That said, easily confused terms with most people.

Goodbye Sonny.

Haha that's pretty cool.

Well I was childhood friends with Kevin Matthews (arguably the least talented player of their family) which got me access to Warren Moon's house in Missouri City...yeah that's all I got.

Oh and another friend I had in elementary school won Jeopardy.

I was president of my chess club and lettered in debate.

I also took the ugliest girl to prom. Learned those girls try harder and can suck the chrome off a trailer hitch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I also took the ugliest girl to prom. Learned those girls try harder and can suck the chrome off a trailer hitch.

We should play.

We should play.

Can I play too ?!

I can play blindfold - IE From memory.

My son is president of the debate team , part of the tennis squad & the chess club .... You should see the ultra hot red head he brought home recently ....

We should play.

I am sorry. After prom I got addicted to ugly girls and gave up chess. My debate skills gave me too much power over the ladies and I was addicted. After a few years I ran into the wrong lady that led me to a stint with meth. After the road to recovery I realized one thing. I won the dick measuring contest that was laid down by valedictorian, the college football player, and the guy that tackled Adrian Peterson by the shoelaces in high school.

Try beating meth. (Drops mic.)

Oh yeah? Well back when I was a DJ at a strip club called Lipstick off the Southwest Fwy back in the day. Haywood Jeffires, Ernest Givens and Cris Dishman used to come in and motorboat strippers titties in the back of the club in the dark.
I was a right tackle in high school who doubled as QB and halfback. In college I dated a girl who went on to become Miss Texas.

Can I play too ?!

I can play blindfold - IE From memory.

My son is president of the debate team , part of the tennis squad & the chess club .... You should see the ultra hot red head he brought home recently ....

Your son sounds like an awesome kid. Obviously I was playing off stereotypes.

However in real life it's the kids like yours who end up being our bosses.

Back