Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

What Mallett brings as a (full-time) Starter

I remember some great touch passes.

I think you are confused. I never said Mallett has great touch

Mallett has shown touch many times, he has also showed lack of touch others.

I'm not certain you know what your opinion is. I just know you went ape over the touch comment and since then you've waffled nonstop.

You're wrong and Nitro is not. Mallett can throw a pass with touch and has thrown passes with touch on them.

In the course of a 10 year career and 2758 at bats Adam Everett hit 40 home runs. Did he hit home runs? Yes. Was he capable of doing it a handful of times per season? Yes. But nobody in their right mind would describe him as a power hitter or confuse him with a slugger. Apparently my use of zero was taken as literally as possible to serve your various agendas.

I remember schaub rushing for a td. Would you look back on him and describe him as a threat to rush or profile him as immobile?

Hoyer a destroyer? Doesn't try to win? How many ways has he been villified?
No, he isn't serviceable at quarterbacking a team with weak pass protection and no running game. But surely he did his best.
Let's trade him and wish him well. What else do you all want to do to him, cut his throat and bury him face down?

Who are you talking to?

There has been little if any commentary that he hasn't given his best, been a nice guy, etc. He's just not a starting NFL QB. Nobody wants any harm to befall him other than being on the sideline.

I'm not certain you know what your opinion is. I just know you went ape over the touch comment and since then you've waffled nonstop.

In the course of a 10 year career and 2758 at bats Adam Everett hit 40 home runs. Did he hit home runs? Yes. Was he capable of doing it a handful of times per season? Yes. But nobody in their right mind would describe him as a power hitter or confuse him with a slugger. Apparently my use of zero was taken as literally as possible to serve your various agendas.

I remember schaub rushing for a td. Would you look back on him and describe him as a threat to rush or profile him as immobile?

I don't have an agenda here. You just said what you said and I took at face value.

What does Mallet bring to the table? For starters he's fashionably late and has zero touch...

I didn't "go ape" wtf are you talking about? Look dude, you said the man has zero touch, I disagreed and now you are the one waffling trying to pretend you meant he needs to work on touch. Everyone knows he needs to work on it. But that is in fact what were are talking about here. Stop being a douch nozzle. You even exaggerate about the ONE TIME he was late which goes to show you are just trolling.

The guy has a cannon. We'll see if he has any touch or not. We nicknamed him SMOKEY HAMMER last year during the Cleveland game. He was throwing smoke and a mallet's a hammer. Just hope he doesn't turn into a rubber mallet.

I don't know what the heck mallet brings as a starter...until i see half a season or so...I am not going to claim anything.

Ryan Mallett isn’t an upgrade over Brian Hoyer

The news doesn’t come as too much of a surprise, as Hoyer has done little to secure the job. It was an average performance by Hoyer on Sunday against the Chiefs, as he earned a -0.4 overall grade. He did well on intermediate range throws, completing 10 of 13 for 179 yards, but he struggled under pressure and was directly responsible for two turnovers on Sunday against the Chiefs.

Mallett performed slightly better when he came in midway through the fourth quarter (+0.8), but he still hasn’t proven to be notably better, or even different, than Hoyer. Both ranked in the bottom-third for accuracy percentage in Week 1, with Hoyer just edging out Mallett 68 percent to 62 percent. This comes after lackluster performances from both QBs in the preseason (+0.9 grade for Hoyer, -1.5 grade for Mallett).

Written by someone who didn't watch the game.

You even exaggerate about the ONE TIME he was late

Maybe a clue not to consider my comment as literally and exclusively as you did. There's tape on Mallett. Try watching it rather than cherry picking Adam Everett home run highlights.

We'll have more games to watch soon enough. I have the feeling i'll be the one revisiting this thread and you'll either change your mind or dodge this thread.

Of all the self-doubters and broken psyches that have taken snaps for the Texans, you'd think that we'd have 100% enthusiasm and approval for finally having a cocky ego who believes he will win a Super Bowl.

Maybe a clue not to consider my comment as literally and exclusively as you did. There's tape on Mallett. Try watching it rather than cherry picking Adam Everett home run highlights.

We'll have more games to watch soon enough. I have the feeling i'll be the one revisiting this thread and you'll either change your mind or dodge this thread.

And what's the standard for when you'll concede he has enough touch to be a viable starter?

You going to give any consideration for the passes made because of his arm?

Of all the self-doubters and broken psyches that have taken snaps for the Texans, you'd think that we'd have 100% enthusiasm and approval for finally having a cocky ego who believes he will win a Super Bowl.

I agree, it is refreshing to see a guy confident in himself. I believe Mallett given the chance can lead us to the promise land. Granted it is a ton of crown talking right now and the this funny ass movie train wreck talking, but I haven't been this excited about a game since the last time Mallett started (I was unaware of the pec injury). I say we go on a 10 game win streak and win the division.

You going to give any consideration for the passes made because of his arm?

Actually i am. He made a lot of passes because he has a rocket arm. But that's not really the dispute here is it?

See Playoff's sig - it sounds like it applies to you on this issue

If memory serves, your calling me a fairweather fan rooting for the team to lose so i can be right? I'm not. I'd love to be wrong. I just don't have high expectations and i think Mallett shows "little touch" on his passes.

2 consecutive years of fitz and hoyer going in? Forgive me if I dont believe we're superbowl bound. Im actually way more excited to see Mallett now.

Actually i am. He made a lot of passes because he has a rocket arm. But that's not really the dispute here is it?

Yes and no. QBs with big arms almost universally get described as needing to work on touch. To me they go hand in hand so you have to look for how the whole thing balances out.

If memory serves, your calling me a fairweather fan rooting for the team to lose so i can be right? I'm not. I'd love to be wrong. I just don't have high expectations and i think Mallett shows "little touch" on his passes.

2 consecutive years of fitz and hoyer going in? Forgive me if I dont believe we're superbowl bound. Im actually way more excited to see Mallett now.

Fair enough. Your last comment sounded like a set up to come back later happy he hadn't improved. I probably just misconstrued.

In the course of a 10 year career and 2758 at bats Adam Everett hit 40 home runs. Did he hit home runs? Yes. Was he capable of doing it a handful of times per season? Yes. But nobody in their right mind would describe him as a power hitter or confuse him with a slugger.

I'm confused by your point here.

Mallett is likely never going to be considered a touch thrower. Like Everett was never considered a power hitter...but he was a guy that could occasionally hit with power.

That's what you want from mallett is a guy that can throw with touch because he's not going to become a full blown touch thrower.

I'm not worried about mallett throwing with touch. He did it this past game and he did it against Cleveland. I think that is overblown.

He may have done it against the bengals as well but I can't recall a specific throw whereas I can remember specific throws against the Browns and against the Chiefs.

he brings less mobility then Hoyer and Fitz cus he is like 2 feet taller

but who needs that we just seen peyton win some games so whatevers

I'm not worried about his touch. Very few QBs can do everything perfectly. He's got a laser-rocket arm and makes quick decisions. The coaches need to modify their game-plans to take advantage of those facets of his play while working to improve the others.

You can go pretty far throwing fastballs and making quick decisions.

The phrase "no touch" isn't congruent to "needs to work on touch". Google congruent if you need to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]
That mathematical distinction between congruency and equality has always eluded me.

Last edited:
"Needs to work on touch" and "Has zero touch" are two completely different things. You're wrong and Nitro is not. Mallett can throw a pass with touch and has thrown passes with touch on them. He has yet to learn to consistently do it and he's working on it.

It's not like this is hard to figure out. Why are you guys still arguing about it.
All I have to do is think back on the Mallett to Watt TD pass to know he is CAPABLE of a soft throw as well as the bullet. He is simply learning how to optimize his choices for the best results which is TOUCH.

I don't know. Big Tex did go up in flames recently.
That looks painful!

Big_Tex_fire.2_retouched.jpg

"El Diablo" or possibly "The Magic Man".

In keeping with the Will Ferrell angle Mallett should enter the stadium when the Texans are at home to The Black Eyed Peas "My Humps"

Re. the Bengals game (for those that still think that his pec rupture wasn't the main reason for poor performance:

Benching, doghouse force Mallett to prove himself

Afterward, Mallett was able to hide his chest even though the right side had a knot the size of a grapefruit, according to those who saw him. He couldn't lift a fork at dinner and had to eat left-handed.

When his coaches and teammates saw how much pain Mallett had suffered against Cincinnati, he earned a lot of respect.

Re. the Bengals game (for those that still think that his pec rupture wasn't the main reason for poor performance:

Benching, doghouse force Mallett to prove himself

I've got no doubt that it affected the way he played, I'm just saying after watching the game again the other day, he threw some balls that were on target... twice he threw the ball to a guy who had fallen down. They would have been on target otherwise. Then there were more than a couple when he threw the ball to someone with tight coverage.

A few of the balls sailed on him, one in particular looked like he just missed his receiver by a hair... the kind of miss you'd see multiple times on any given Sunday by just about every NFL QB... healthy.

I think his completion percentage had more to do with drops & passes defensed than it did with poor accuracy, or balls that sailed.

If nothing else, it shows how tough the kid is to be able to throw it as accurately as he did despite the major injury to a primary muscle in his throwing motion.

I've got no doubt that it affected the way he played, I'm just saying after watching the game again the other day, he threw some balls that were on target... twice he threw the ball to a guy who had fallen down. They would have been on target otherwise. Then there were more than a couple when he threw the ball to someone with tight coverage.

A few of the balls sailed on him, one in particular looked like he just missed his receiver by a hair... the kind of miss you'd see multiple times on any given Sunday by just about every NFL QB... healthy.

I think his completion percentage had more to do with drops & passes defensed than it did with poor accuracy, or balls that sailed.

If nothing else, it shows how tough the kid is to be able to throw it as accurately as he did despite the major injury to a primary muscle in his throwing motion.

That's the point to take away from that game.........the most important point.

At the end of the Ryan Mallett interview (on HT.com) they asked him what did it mean when OB said, "Let it rip." He just smiled like the Cheshire cat.
Bill O'Brien on Ryan Mallett: Let it rip and go play QB

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ien-on-ryan-mallett-let-it-rip-and-go-play-qb

Well, sounds like Mallett will get free reign to sling the rock. Let's hope he takes advantage of OB's current confidence in him.

No!..........You guys have got it all wrong! I'm sure it was a variation of "Break a leg!" You know, "Let it rip"........the pec............
smiley-taunt002.gif

We don't know what he brings to the table. I think that's why some fans want him out there. Is he better than the previous guy?

What does he bring to the table? He's not Hoyer the Hope Destroyer.
Lol, exactly. unknown commodity to known commodity overnight..
How PFF comes to such a blanket conclusion based on the limited play available by Mallett..........especially when comparing this past game, with Hoyer playing most of the game to placing Mallett in desparate try to come from behind in 6 minutes. My choice at this point in time is to believe that Mallett is a significant upgrade........and that my observation under the circumstances, despite PFF's fancy calculations, will likely prove to be more valid in time.

The same way you guys come to blanket conclusions about his impending greatness. You guys are sipping spiked kool aid, they're sipping pickle juice.

Lol, exactly. unknown commodity to known commodity overnight..

The same way you guys come to blanket conclusions about his impending greatness. You guys are sipping spiked kool aid, they're sipping pickle juice.

I listed several cons in the OP. And not insignificant ones either.

But you go ahead and keep believing that everyone who wanted Mallett over Hoyer is rubbing out a chubby over his upcoming start.

Whatever. We'll either be 0-2 or 1-1 after this weekend. Whoopie ******* doo.

Now, Thorn, that is not the proper attitude to have if you are going to live vicariously through your sports team. Try harder.

I figure it is the same sort of unproven but optimistic hope that people have toward QBs drafted in the first round. Brimming with excitement based solely on potential. At least with Mallett there is a small sample size to base a smidgeon of hope on.

I guess I missed the Koolaid that was being served when people were saying that Hoyer gave us the best chance to win games.

That one must have been spiked with Moonshine.

I guess I missed the Koolaid that was being served when people were saying that Hoyer gave us the best chance to win games.

I don't know what OB put in it but I woke up after the game with a wicked hangover..

Part of me can't help but wonder if O'Brien is playing Jedi mind games with Mallett to test him. Yanking a starting QB after only 3 quarters of football reveals absolutely no faith or confidence in the guy, like he never really intended to make him the starting QB for long term. Just speculation on my part, but the whole thing this week is straight up weird and something I have never seen with Houston pro football in many decades.

There's something I'm missing here...........

Assholes. Don't think I don't know who you are.

Part of me can't help but wonder if O'Brien is playing Jedi mind games with Mallett to test him. Yanking a starting QB after only 3 quarters of football reveals absolutely no faith or confidence in the guy, like he never really intended to make him the starting QB for long term. Just speculation on my part, but the whole thing this week is straight up weird and something I have never seen with Houston pro football in many decades.

Yeah weird. Well something seemed to work because it lit a fire under Mallett to work harder. Whether that was intentional, who knows?

Back