Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

What Mallett brings as a (full-time) Starter

I remember some great touch passes. The one to JJ Watt in the end zone on the fade last season comes to mind. What are you on about? Do you get a media created talking point in your head and then regurgitate it and refuse to see with your own eyes?

Nope. I watched the KC game. Did you?

But the poster concluded it was because of his faith. I simply told him he was ignorant - without knowledge. I am in no way defending Carr. Just the faith.

No herv alluded to Carr for whom faith and family came before football.

Edit: sandman had it covered.

What,if mallett fails hardcore will fans be screaming for hoyer or will we just ride out with mallett

I like his priorities, but not as an excuse to fail to compete. Ask Roger the Dodger about whether his faith hindered his competitiveness.

Chester Pitts said Carr played football because he was good at it in HS and college . He didn't play because he loved it and at the QB position in the pros , it sticks out like a sore thumb . I think he also was one of those guys whose family was also his running circle and he really couldn't relate to people from other backgrounds and they to him .

What,if mallett fails hardcore will fans be screaming for hoyer or will we just ride out with mallett
I look at it like this. Hoyer has had his shot, not just with Houston, but in Cleveland. Mallett deserves the shot Hoyer got in Cleveland. Let Mallett play and accept the growing pains for what they are. At this point in his career, Hoyer is not suffering growing pains, Mallett will. But I would rather go down slinging it with Mallett than throwing fluffy marshmallow duckies with Hoyer.

Last edited:
We've all seen what Mallett does in fits and starts, and both times it has been to replace someone not getting the job done. And the back-up QB is always the most popular guy on the team, so thought I would take a realistic stab at what we can expect should Mallett seize this opportunity to entrench himself as the full time starter.

Pros:
- Great tempo guy and good pocket presence
- Does the "system" justice by getting the ball out quickly/timely
- Seems to be able to get through progressions quickly
- Canon of an arm that allows him to make every throw
- Believes he can make every throw and will put it into places that others can't (see 2pt conversion)

Cons:
- Believes he can make every throw, even the ones that shouldn't go in those places
- He will throw interceptions. This is the nature of the beast for guys who think they can put it anywhere (see Favre)
- Ugly scrambles. Like watching Yao Ming trying to steal second base. Can't rely on him to consistently pick up those 1sts downs with his feet like Fitzy did.
- Gamer. And cocky. Needs to be able to get his teammates to see him as a leader and that takes more than swagger.

Feel free to add...

I want to see how many ints he throws. The velocity he throws the ball will lead to alot of dropped ints. All QB's throw ints. Hoyer just throws more than most.

Ugly scrambles- Agreed, but he did scramble 7 yds for a 1st down last game.

Teammates like Hopkins said Mallett brougt energy to the offense. That's a sign of a leader

Teammates like Hopkins said Mallett brougt energy to the offense. That's a sign of a leader
I wish we could take these guys at their words. But if Hard Knocks proved anything, it's that players are told not to say anything negative about another player and they gave examples. Hopkins and all the rest will say nice things about whomever is in there. I would love to be a fly on the wall to hear their real thoughts.

I want to see how many ints he throws. The velocity he throws the ball will lead to alot of dropped ints. All QB's throw ints. Hoyer just throws more than most.

Ugly scrambles- Agreed, but he did scramble 7 yds for a 1st down last game.

I wonder how many receivers other than Hopkins could handle Mallett's bullets?

But touch to me is not about throwing hard or soft, but being able to do both and doing whichever one is necessary to accomplish the job.

So, two games where he wasn't injured and you chose the one where he had 6 whole minutes in the game left to do something with? :rolleyes:

So, two games where he wasnt injured and you chose the one from last November instead of the one 4 days ago? :listening

Ah, but did he? I am hearing reports that Hoyer and Mallett are splitting 1st team reps. If that is the case, I am fast losing more respect for O'Brien. Hoyer received all of the 1st team reps leading up to game one. Now Mallett has to split reps? WTF?!

In all fairness... Hoyer needs the practice.

I'm really not upset with O'Brian for starting Hoyer after the performances both QBs showed in preseason. It was close, but Hoyer seemed to be a little better in every game. I agree with those saying Hoyer seems to be a practice QB. If I have any concern it is that Mallet should've come in sooner within the game. I believe we could be 1-0 right now.

And Yao would be great at stealing bases, because that bean-pole could step on second while still having the back foot on first, then take it off and use it to step on 3rd...

Russillo and Kanell just spent about 20 minute bashing the Texans and BoB with the Mallett decision and said Mallett is gonna suck too. Then they spent some time bashing JJ Watt....I hope we tear this B up this year

Anyone bashing J.J. Watt immediately invalidates any attempted analysis of anything else. J.J. is one of the few subjects that is complete unanimous agreement among humanity as a great player and great human being. They are nothing but radio trolls when they spew nonsense like that.

I wish we could take these guys at their words. But if Hard Knocks proved anything, it's that players are told not to say anything negative about another player and they gave examples. Hopkins and all the rest will say nice things about whomever is in there. I would love to be a fly on the wall to hear their real thoughts.

Yep. Every time I hear a current player being interviewed, they always say they have great coaches, great receivers, great running backs, great defense, great QB, great great great. They are programmed and conditioned to always spout the party line and never reveal the truth or their true feelings about any given subject. It is only when they become media mouthpieces that they start babbling their perspective of truth.

So, two games where he wasnt injured and you chose the one from last November instead of the one 4 days ago? :listening
Hmm slinging the rock while down 17 in the last 6 minutes of a game? Yeah, that's just the time for those touch passes.
:mariopalm:

I agree I like and hope mallett starts the rest of the season but I really like savage more I hope he compete for the starting gig next year

I'll prefer to ride it out with Mallett. Hoyer is practice field fool's gold and we all know it. Mallet might not be good enough (We'll see) but if he isn't then we're treading water in 2015 and looking for a QB (still) after that. Some Brian Hoyer action in a season already lost would just delay us further.

Hmm slinging the rock while down 17 in the last 6 minutes of a game? Yeah, that's just the time for those touch passes.
:mariopalm:

Unless I missed your reply. Please illustrate where touch would have been beneficial in week 1 with 6 minutes to go.

Why would I illustrate it with something like a description or a game clip? We already watched the same game and dont agree about what we saw. I think Mallets touch on his passes sucks. You think it's great.

My opinion doesnt mean squat to you...maybe Mallett's and Coach O'brien's will:

"A lot of times I try to get it there as fast as I can, but I don’t need to," Mallett said.
"He would throw the 20 yard in cut just like he would throw the checkdown … they were both like 90 miles an hour," O'Brien said..

http://www.battleredblog.com/2015/6...t-is-refining-touch-and-accuracy-in-qb-battle

Fortunately, Ryan Mallet and Coach Obrien agree with me and made it a point of emphasis over the offseason. It didnt look a bit better against KC to me, but at least THEY know its a problem even if YOU dont.

images

Good night now.

Why would I illustrate it with something like a description or a game clip? We already watched the same game and dont agree about what we saw. I think Mallets touch on his passes sucks. You think it's great.

http://www.battleredblog.com/2015/6...t-is-refining-touch-and-accuracy-in-qb-battle

Fortunately, Ryan Mallet and Coach Obrien agree with me and made it a point of emphasis over the offseason. It didnt look a bit better against KC to me, but at least THEY know its a problem even if YOU dont.

images

Good night now.

Atleast Mallett knows he has a problem knowing when he needs to throw it a 100mph and when he needs to just lob it in there. First step to fixing a problem is admitting you have one.

images

Good night now.

Please stop posting pictures of you and your lover consoling you when you have a hard time with the boys on the message board. Nobody is interested in that kind of thing.

Try to keep in mind O'Brien also said Hoyer was better than Mallett, so there's that. And the fact that your article is from June. Is it possible Mallett has improved since then? And again, why would Mallett need to be throwing touch passes last sunday? These are all rhetorical of course.

How PFF comes to such a blanket conclusion based on the limited play available by Mallett..........especially when comparing this past game, with Hoyer playing most of the game to placing Mallett in desparate try to come from behind in 6 minutes. My choice at this point in time is to believe that Mallett is a significant upgrade........and that my observation under the circumstances, despite PFF's fancy calculations, will likely prove to be more valid in time.

Ryan Mallett isn’t an upgrade over Brian Hoyer
Ryan Mallett is the Texans' new starting QB -- but he isn't any better than old starter Brian Hoyer.

Matt Claassen | 10 hours ago

The Texans brought in QB Brian Hoyer in the offseason to compete for the starting quarterback spot, and it looks as if his reign — for now — will end after just one game, with Ryan Mallett reportedly named the starter for Week 2.

The news doesn’t come as too much of a surprise, as Hoyer has done little to secure the job. It was an average performance by Hoyer on Sunday against the Chiefs, as he earned a -0.4 overall grade. He did well on intermediate range throws, completing 10 of 13 for 179 yards, but he struggled under pressure and was directly responsible for two turnovers on Sunday against the Chiefs.

Mallett performed slightly better when he came in midway through the fourth quarter (+0.8), but he still hasn’t proven to be notably better, or even different, than Hoyer. Both ranked in the bottom-third for accuracy percentage in Week 1, with Hoyer just edging out Mallett 68 percent to 62 percent. This comes after lackluster performances from both QBs in the preseason (+0.9 grade for Hoyer, -1.5 grade for Mallett).

The change at quarterback is not a big difference in our eyes. Mallett may have the “bigger” arm, but he has completed just one regular-season pass in his career that was targeted 20-plus yards downfield. What the Texans need most right now is someone who can be consistent and protect the football — something neither quarterback has proven thus far, and it wouldn’t be surprising to see this competition continue as the season progresses.

The Texans brought in QB Brian Hoyer in the offseason to compete for the starting quarterback spot, and it looks as if his reign — for now — will end after just one game, with Ryan Mallett reportedly named the starter for Week 2.

The news doesn’t come as too much of a surprise, as Hoyer has done little to secure the job. It was an average performance by Hoyer on Sunday against the Chiefs, as he earned a -0.4 overall grade. He did well on intermediate range throws, completing 10 of 13 for 179 yards, but he struggled under pressure and was directly responsible for two turnovers on Sunday against the Chiefs.

Mallett performed slightly better when he came in midway through the fourth quarter (+0.8), but he still hasn’t proven to be notably better, or even different, than Hoyer. Both ranked in the bottom-third for accuracy percentage in Week 1, with Hoyer just edging out Mallett 68 percent to 62 percent. This comes after lackluster performances from both QBs in the preseason (+0.9 grade for Hoyer, -1.5 grade for Mallett).

The change at quarterback is not a big difference in our eyes. Mallett may have the “bigger” arm, but he has completed just one regular-season pass in his career that was targeted 20-plus yards downfield. What the Texans need most right now is someone who can be consistent and protect the football — something neither quarterback has proven thus far, and it wouldn’t be surprising to see this competition continue as the season progresses.

Not sure how Hoyer's comp.% of 52.9 becomes an accuracy % of 68.

And Mallett has 4 20+ passes and 1 40+ in the 2.1 regular season games he has played.

Try to keep in mind O'Brien also said Hoyer was better than Mallett, so there's that.

I think i get it. I should trust you instead of a professional coach and professional quarterback about quarterback mechanics.

lmgoMtaQbvNJf4YrJLiiGv9nPcCBrF8j6c7Ug0fjKywaCKTePsasTftNlrKJ7RfZYb-FiuGJAdSKscu1wdTtaEk=s0

For comparison sake against another metric, Mallett vs. Hoyer vs. Fitzpatrick (for familiarity) in recent Total QBR:

Hoyer - 39.8
Fitzpatrick - 56.7
Mallett - vs. Clev. - 73.1, vs. Cincy - 26.0

Hoyer - 12.3
Fitzpatrick - 66.6
Mallett - 85.9

Now, clearly Mallett's numbers are very limited, but this isn't exactly having to read the freaking Matrix.

This is pretty what I was talking about the other day in the thread about who starts at Carolina. The main thing is that this kind of QB seems to feed on challenges and ego. He has to believe in himself and you can't be yanking him back all the time which I hope OB is smart enough not to do. A QB like Mallett (could be, maybe) and Favre is/was is all about incredible and sometimes stupid confidence. Like cak said (approximately) "How did he do that?" followed by "WTF is he doing?".

You take the good with the bad and if you have a good one you can win with him. Rivers is a great comparison. If he turns out like Rivers (Favre is kind of the high-water mark for this kind of QB so Rivers is maybe a little more realistic) and Foster comes back healthy we could be in a position to make some noise over the second half of the season.

We're in what will end up being the toughest part of the schedule for us right now thanks to injuries and uncertainty at the QB position.
Rivers is one of my favorite QBs of all time. Tough as nails, a winner and a gamer. One of the best QBs of the past decade

I think i get it. I should trust you instead of a professional coach and professional quarterback about quarterback mechanics.

lmgoMtaQbvNJf4YrJLiiGv9nPcCBrF8j6c7Ug0fjKywaCKTePsasTftNlrKJ7RfZYb-FiuGJAdSKscu1wdTtaEk=s0
I think you are confused. I never said Mallett has great touch. It's something he's been working on, and the change is noticeable. Perhaps not as much as we would like, but remind me again how much touch Warren Moon had? He threw fastballs all the time as well, and he turned out just ok if memory serves. This is just another excuse. You must still be sore about your boy Johnny Cornhole not being drafted by the Texans, or some other ridiculous nonsense. Time will tell who is right, but for now. The one you think has great touch is going to the bench, and the one you think doesn't is starting, so I will enjoy the thought of you having an aneurysm this Sunday when Mallett takes the field.

2ladkps.jpg

Not a matter of trust. Yeah Mallett could be better. But here's the thing, he has room to make that improvement because he's capable of throwing a wide range of still NFL caliber balls. Hoyer has one speed - marshmallow. So everything looks like it has "touch" on it when actually what it has is "I think I can."

No, we get it. We should trust YOU and your unsubstantiated bullshit based on a crap sample size.

That coach you think agrees with you is starting the guy with "no touch" according to you. Keep up those mental gymnastics.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For clarification sake...my comment was Mallett has zero touch. No talk of Hoyer. No comparison between the two. (Im actually thrilled we get to see him instead of hoyer.) Zero talk of Johnny football or Vince young and his "healing powers."

Then i posted a link and quotes from obrien and Mallett acknowledging a problem with touch passes. See post on page 4 or link below...

Since that link nitro has begun to crawfish because he's not able to say he's wrong.

I think you are confused. I never said Mallett has great touch.

Huh?

I remember some great touch passes. The one to JJ Watt in the end zone on the fade last season comes to mind. What are you on about?

funny-dumb-people-16.jpg

No, we get it. We should trust YOU and your unsubstantiated bullshit based on a crap sample size.

That coach you think agrees with you is starting the guy with "no touch" according to you. Keep up those mental gymnastics.

Note to self:

Find FAQ and explore ignore option.

For clarification sake...my comment was Mallett has zero touch. No talk of Hoyer. No comparison between the two. (Im actually thrilled we get to see him instead of hoyer.) Zero talk of Johnny football or Vince young and his "healing powers."

Then i posted a link and quotes from obrien and Mallett acknowledging a problem with touch passes. See post on page 4 or link below...

Since that link nitro has begun to crawfish because he's not able to say he's wrong.

Huh?

funny-dumb-people-16.jpg
Wait, so you are saying Mallett has never made a touch pass? GTFO! I'm not wrong... Mallett has shown touch many times, he has also showed lack of touch others. Ain't no crawfish here. No touch on this pass at all is there?

Hoyer a destroyer? Doesn't try to win? How many ways has he been villified?
No, he isn't serviceable at quarterbacking a team with weak pass protection and no running game. But surely he did his best.
Let's trade him and wish him well. What else do you all want to do to him, cut his throat and bury him face down?

How PFF comes to such a blanket conclusion based on the limited play available by Mallett..........especially when comparing this past game, with Hoyer playing most of the game to placing Mallett in desparate try to come from behind in 6 minutes. My choice at this point in time is to believe that Mallett is a significant upgrade........and that my observation under the circumstances, despite PFF's fancy calculations, will likely prove to be more valid in time.

Click generator. Throw out a headline like that and you get people reading that who are outraged on Mallett's behalf and who are trying to justify their defense of Hoyer at the same time.

It doesn't really even matter what you write after that and the article seems to bear out that Matt Claassen believes that too. I've seen one-week visiting fans with a slight inclination to troll do a better job of stating their case than that article.

You mean a direct quote from the very quarterback in question saying he needs work on touch?

obama_adults.jpg

"Needs to work on touch" and "Has zero touch" are two completely different things. You're wrong and Nitro is not. Mallett can throw a pass with touch and has thrown passes with touch on them. He has yet to learn to consistently do it and he's working on it.

It's not like this is hard to figure out. Why are you guys still arguing about it.

Hoyer a destroyer? Doesn't try to win? How many ways has he been villified?
No, he isn't serviceable at quarterbacking a team with weak pass protection and no running game. But surely he did his best.
Let's trade him and wish him well. What else do you all want to do to him, cut his throat and bury him face down?

Is that an option? I didn't know that was an option.

Can I change my order?

Tania Ganguli ESPN Staff Writer

Ryan Mallett said losing the quarterback battle to start the season caused him to work even harder than before. "It's my dream to play in this league every week, every down, and I'm going to keep chasing it," he said. "I'm going to do what I have to do to achieve that."

Back