Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

What Mallett brings as a (full-time) Starter

sandman

Brexit Advisor
We've all seen what Mallett does in fits and starts, and both times it has been to replace someone not getting the job done. And the back-up QB is always the most popular guy on the team, so thought I would take a realistic stab at what we can expect should Mallett seize this opportunity to entrench himself as the full time starter.

Pros:
- Great tempo guy and good pocket presence
- Does the "system" justice by getting the ball out quickly/timely
- Seems to be able to get through progressions quickly
- Canon of an arm that allows him to make every throw
- Believes he can make every throw and will put it into places that others can't (see 2pt conversion)

Cons:
- Believes he can make every throw, even the ones that shouldn't go in those places
- He will throw interceptions. This is the nature of the beast for guys who think they can put it anywhere (see Favre)
- Ugly scrambles. Like watching Yao Ming trying to steal second base. Can't rely on him to consistently pick up those 1sts downs with his feet like Fitzy did.
- Gamer. And cocky. Needs to be able to get his teammates to see him as a leader and that takes more than swagger.

Feel free to add...

The leash is short until he proves himself with a winning streak. But I hope he does AND if he goes out for any reason, I hope Hoyer performs better next time out.

We me, we don't know what he brings to the table. I think that's why some fans want him out there. Is he better than the previous guy?

What does he bring to the table? He's not Hoyer the Hope Destroyer.

That's exactly it. He's a total wildcard.

There is a small possibility that he's a franchise type quarterback .... There is NO possibility that Brian Hoyer is a franchise quarterback. That small chance is better than no chance .... and right now , he's the only chance this team has because this franchise hasn't put much in terms of assets into the position .... since they traded for Schaub its been a bunch of late round picks. Which was fine while Schaub was playing at a pro bowl level .... but once he became damaged goods and finally gone , they should have been using premium assets to fix the most important position in professional sports.

We've all seen what Mallett does in fits and starts, and both times it has been to replace someone not getting the job done. And the back-up QB is always the most popular guy on the team, so thought I would take a realistic stab at what we can expect should Mallett seize this opportunity to entrench himself as the full time starter.

Pros:
- Great tempo guy and good pocket presence
- Does the "system" justice by getting the ball out quickly/timely
- Seems to be able to get through progressions quickly
- Canon of an arm that allows him to make every throw
- Believes he can make every throw and will put it into places that others can't (see 2pt conversion)

Cons:
- Believes he can make every throw, even the ones that shouldn't go in those places
- He will throw interceptions. This is the nature of the beast for guys who think they can put it anywhere (see Favre)
- Ugly scrambles. Like watching Yao Ming trying to steal second base. Can't rely on him to consistently pick up those 1sts downs with his feet like Fitzy did.
- Gamer. And cocky. Needs to be able to get his teammates to see him as a leader and that takes more than swagger.

Feel free to add...

This is pretty what I was talking about the other day in the thread about who starts at Carolina. The main thing is that this kind of QB seems to feed on challenges and ego. He has to believe in himself and you can't be yanking him back all the time which I hope OB is smart enough not to do. A QB like Mallett (could be, maybe) and Favre is/was is all about incredible and sometimes stupid confidence. Like cak said (approximately) "How did he do that?" followed by "WTF is he doing?".

You take the good with the bad and if you have a good one you can win with him. Rivers is a great comparison. If he turns out like Rivers (Favre is kind of the high-water mark for this kind of QB so Rivers is maybe a little more realistic) and Foster comes back healthy we could be in a position to make some noise over the second half of the season.

We're in what will end up being the toughest part of the schedule for us right now thanks to injuries and uncertainty at the QB position.

This is pretty what I was talking about the other day in the thread about who starts at Carolina. The main thing is that this kind of QB seems to feed on challenges and ego. He has to believe in himself and you can't be yanking him back all the time which I hope OB is smart enough not to do. A QB like Mallett (could be, maybe) and Favre is/was is all about incredible and sometimes stupid confidence. Like cak said (approximately) "How did he do that?" followed by "WTF is he doing?".

You take the good with the bad and if you have a good one you can win with him. Rivers is a great comparison. If he turns out like Rivers (Favre is kind of the high-water mark for this kind of QB so Rivers is maybe a little more realistic) and Foster comes back healthy we could be in a position to make some noise over the second half of the season.

We're in what will end up being the toughest part of the schedule for us right now thanks to injuries and uncertainty at the QB position.

Yeah, wasn't a Favre comparison as much as an example. I like the Rivers comparison though. That seems like a realistic aiming point, except without the crybaby face and always looking to the officials after every play.

Yeah, wasn't a Favre comparison as much as an example. I like the Rivers comparison though. That seems like a realistic aiming point, except without the crybaby face and always looking to the officials after every play.

Understood. I threw Favre out there too (Lets face it, he's the "Things went much better than we expected" version of this) but cak brought up Rivers and that seems like a much better comparison. Hell, we'll be lucky if he turns out like Rivers to be honest.

i think he has more desire to win than hoyer. did you see him after that last game? he was sick to his stomach that we lost and said he might spend the night and watch carolina film all night. never underestimate desire.

For years I've wanted the Texans to find a guy who lives and dies with the level of their success (like I do) and whose stomach turns in knots when they fall short. I want them to have a QB who is obsessed with the game and winning. Screw this "Family man who has God in his life and keeps it all in perspective" stuff. That's great and all but we want a guy who works on being a QB the way Watt works on being a Nightmare for QB's.

If Mallett has that attitude about losing then that's a step in the right direction.

Take his cell phone.

That's funny.

Yeah I actually laughed pretty hard at that one. But let's be honest a dude as big as Yao, does not steal second base... he walks up to you and tells you he is taking second base, and you nod.

For Mallet - Favre or Rivers... I will be happy with "not a dumpster fire" 60% completion (would we settle for anything over 55?) on 25 to 30 passes a game, 200-250 yards, 2 TD's 1 int a game and not breaking any of his own bones on scrambles. I could be happy with that.

For years I've wanted the Texans to find a guy who lives and dies with the level of their success (like I do) and whose stomach turns in knots when they fall short. I want them to have a QB who is obsessed with the game and winning. Screw this "Family man who has God in his life and keeps it all in perspective" stuff. That's great and all but we want a guy who works on being a QB the way Watt works on being a Nightmare for QB's.

If Mallett has that attitude about losing then that's a step in the right direction.

Judge for yourself

http://www.houstontexans.com/tv-med...-Mallett/f95c9ca0-8116-4807-a7fc-cf06d3e66355

For comparison purposes, Hoyer's comes on after Mallett's is finished. Hoyers feels like Michael Stipe decided to play pro ball.

Ignorant Bigot! Talk about a non sequitur. It's not even correct.

Does this sound like permission to get lazy?

Matthew 5:41 : And whosoever shall compel thee to go one mile, go with him two.

As long as the GAME isn't an IDOL, then there is no division.

It was clearly a reference to HWSNBN so no need for moral outrage.

There may be no division but it sure limits the choices of players. Winning should be first priority for sports teams. Morality a distant second.

A) clearly a Carr reference.

B) whiffed on the allegation. It wasn't laziness, it was priorities. Carr wasn't willing to put being a QB 1st.

There may be no division but it sure limits the choices of players. Winning should be first priority for sports teams. Morality a distant second.
So football SHOULD BE the IDOL of all athletes as it is yours? There are plenty of SUCCESSFUL athletes who disagree.

So football SHOULD BE the IDOL of all athletes as it is yours? There are plenty of SUCCESSFUL athletes who
So football SHOULD BE the IDOL of all athletes as it is yours? There are plenty of SUCCESSFUL athletes who disagree.
Idol smidol. There are plenty of SUCCESSFUL athletes that dont adhere to proper Christian morals too. I'll bet way more than do. Pick players based on talent that will help you win first.

I want football players who put their job, their performance, on a pedestal priority-wise. If anyone wants to use the word idol knock yourself out.

I want a quarterback who's passionate about winning football games. This isn't supposed to be a moral conundrum.

B) That wouldn't be because of his Faith. It would be in spite of it.

Don't try to stick your special little words in here.

I don't give 2 shits why Carr didn't have football as his top priority - truly doesn't matter to me if it was family, God, knitting or midget cream corn wrestling. His ass wasn't watching film, studying, practicing and learning.

These guys are getting paid egregious amounts of money. They should be spending egregious amounts of time on their trade.

Dedication and worship are two different concepts. Nobody is asking QBs to worship football - i.e. the definition of idol - but we damn sure expect them to be dedicated to football if they want a shot to achieve greatness.

Your hubris causes you to react in a way that is the opposite of what you appear to desire to represent.

Understood. I threw Favre out there too (Lets face it, he's the "Things went much better than we expected" version of this) but cak brought up Rivers and that seems like a much better comparison. Hell, we'll be lucky if he turns out like Rivers to be honest.

cak?

:foottap:

A mentor of mine was a college head coach for about 35 years. I learned a ton from him and got a lot of great advice as well.

Of all the things I heard him say, the one that stuck with me the most is that nearly all of the truly successful people in the football profession are the ones who hate to lose more than they like to win.

That's what being a competitor is. Everybody likes football when they are winning. That's when it's easy. You need the guys who hate losing so much that they will do everything in their power to try to make sure it doesn't ever happen again. Because those guys will never rest, even when they are winning.

I didn't learn jack about Mallett as an NFL QB last week. The sample size was just too small. But I did learn that he is a competitor. That's a start.

Russillo and Kanell just spent about 20 minute bashing the Texans and BoB with the Mallett decision and said Mallett is gonna suck too. Then they spent some time bashing JJ Watt....I hope we tear this B up this year

My bad, it was you! Age is getting to me. I can't remember what I did yesterday half the time. I think I'm the perfect candidate to work in a data center don't you?

Sorry! It was TK. He brought up Rivers and it was a better comparison than Favre. They're all in the same family of QB's though IMO.

Russillo and Kanell just spent about 20 minute bashing the Texans and BoB with the Mallett decision and said Mallett is gonna suck too. Then they spent some time bashing JJ Watt....I hope we tear this B up this year

From an outside point of view, I understand why they would see it that way. They probably haven't been studying the Texans very hard over the offseason. They don't know the context of the switch.

From the outside, it looks like a total panic move to name a guy the starter and then dump him before the first game is over.

And maybe it is a panic move. But it's a move that had to be made. I'm extremely irritated that OB put the team in this position. I thought he went with Hoyer because he saw something nobody else did and thought he could get it out of him. But yanking him this early means that is not the case. He just thought Hoyer was better than he really is. Having said all that, kudos to him for correcting his mistake as soon as possible.

From an outside point of view, I understand why they would see it that way. They probably haven't been studying the Texans very hard over the offseason. They don't know the context of the switch.

From the outside, it looks like a total panic move to name a guy the starter and then dump him before the first game is over.

And maybe it is a panic move. But it's a move that had to be made. I'm extremely irritated that OB put the team in this position. I thought he went with Hoyer because he saw something nobody else did and thought he could get it out of him. But yanking him this early means that is not the case. He just thought Hoyer was better than he really is. Having said all that, kudos to him for correcting his mistake as soon as possible.
Ah, but did he? I am hearing reports that Hoyer and Mallett are splitting 1st team reps. If that is the case, I am fast losing more respect for O'Brien. Hoyer received all of the 1st team reps leading up to game one. Now Mallett has to split reps? WTF?!

1. It was a Carr reference.
2. I don't give a flying monkey's crap what Marshall thinks of me. Never have.
3. When some people call you an ignorant bigot it should come with a medal and a ribbon to wear IMO.
3. I don't give a single thought to religion because I don't believe in it but when I talk about it (meaning it's the primary focus of my post) it's in the No Spin Zone.
4. I want a QB who has trouble sleeping nights during the off season because he thinks he could have done more to put Nuke in a position to catch the last dropped pass of the season.

The traditional and highly respected Christian athlete and all around great family man is probably an outstanding neighbor and a gift to his community. I want to live next door to that guy but on Sunday I want the other guy who puts in the work, gets up at 3AM or something to go in and watch film, and meets up with WR's during the off season to work on timing and chemistry. Carr was a wonderful person but a failure as an NFL QB. If the guy I'm talking about can work his faith and his family in there and still get that done great. The extent of my concern with him though boils down to what he does for 3 hour increments spread over 16 weeks (hopefully more than that) in the fall. I don't really care about anything else after that.

Last edited:
1. It was a Carr reference.
2. I don't give a flying monkey's crap what Marshall thinks of me. Never have.
3. When some people call you an ignorant bigot it should come with a medal and a ribbon to wear IMO.
3. I don't give a single thought to religion because I don't believe in it but when I talk about it (meaning it's the primary focus of my post) it's in the No Spin Zone.
4. I want a QB who has trouble sleeping nights during the off season because he thinks he could have done more to put Nuke in a position to catch the last dropped pass of the season.

The traditional and highly respected Christian athlete and all around great family man is probably an outstanding neighbor and a gift to his community. I want to live next door to that guy but on Sunday I want the other guy who puts in the work, gets up at 3AM or something to go in and watch film, and meets up with WR's during the off season to work on timing and chemistry. Carr was a wonderful person but a failure as an NFL QB. If the guy I'm talking about can work his faith and his family in there and still get that done great. The extent of my concern with him though boils down to what he does for 3 hours increments spread over 16 weeks (hopefully more than that) in the fall. I don't really care about anything else after that.
Agree 100% with what you said. Only thing I want to point out is Hopkins nickname is Nuk, not Nuke. It comes from a type of pacifier he used as a kid.
Gerber_NUK_BPA_Free_Pacifier_Stage_1_-_2_Pack.jpg

And now back to our regularly scheduled program...

Last edited:
Reggie White was one of the greats where he was a devoted Christian off the field and a great football player on it, so it can be done.

Plus, like mentioned above, they are hired to play football, so it's their job to perform. If not, they need to find another profession.

Agree 100% of what you said. Only thing I want to point out is Hopkins nickname is Nuk, not Nuke. It comes from a type of pacifier he used as a kid.
Gerber_NUK_BPA_Free_Pacifier_Stage_1_-_2_Pack.jpg

And now back to our regularly scheduled program...

Correct. I knew it, I just type Nuk and my muscle memory drops an "e" on the end because for most of my life "nuke" meant something and "nuk" is just nuke without the "e" . :)

I may never get that completely down.

Don't try to stick your special little words in here.

I don't give 2 shits why Carr didn't have football as his top priority - truly doesn't matter to me if it was family, God, knitting or midget cream corn wrestling. His ass wasn't watching film, studying, practicing and learning.

These guys are getting paid egregious amounts of money. They should be spending egregious amounts of time on their trade.
But the poster concluded it was because of his faith. I simply told him he was ignorant - without knowledge. I am in no way defending Carr. Just the faith.

But the poster concluded it was because of his faith. I simply told him he was ignorant - without knowledge. I am in no way defending Carr. Just the faith.
ps I'm glad to leave faith out of the thread if the antagonists will. But I will not let it go unchallenged if you permit it's ridicule.

I want football players who put their job, their performance, on a pedestal priority-wise. If anyone wants to use the word idol knock yourself out.

I want a quarterback who's passionate about winning football games. This isn't supposed to be a moral conundrum.
Lot's of player with faith are top competitors. Their faith does not hinder their competitiveness.

What does Mallet bring to the table? For starters he's fashionably late and has zero touch...

What does Mallet bring to the table? For starters he's fashionably late and has zero touch...
I remember some great touch passes. The one to JJ Watt in the end zone on the fade last season comes to mind. What are you on about? Do you get a media created talking point in your head and then regurgitate it and refuse to see with your own eyes?

I never said it did. Take your nonsense where it belongs.

Yep. This was about a specific player who used it as a crutch to not dedicate himself to being the best QB he could possibly be.

As a Christian, I find it a legitimate critique of his professional football career. And hopefully that's the last word on it.

Mallett, it bothers him to lose. It's pretty obvious. Doesn't mean he has all the tools to be a franchise QB, but I like that he hates to lose.

Back