Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

What Mallett brings as a (full-time) Starter

I thought Mallett got better as the game went on. Next week, he'll look like a stud.

I thought Mallett got better as the game went on. Next week, he'll look like a stud.

I agree, he did look better as the game went on. I don't know if he'll look like a stud, but it shouldn't hurt that the Texans play at home the next game.

I would take any starting QB off any team over what the Texans are running out there, and I wouldn't say no to any backup.

I honestly don't think you guys could handle a rookie starting QB... even a first rounder.

Granted, Teddy didn't have a game like the one we saw yesterday (well, if you want to count his game last week), but he did throw three interceptions in his 3rd start.

I just want him to get better game after game. No regressions. Improve his accuracy and decision making. The kid is essentially a rookie because of his game experience, but needs to pick up things a lot faster and only has to the end of the season to prove it because of how long he has been in the league. At the end of the season the jury will be in on whether to draft a QB.

I am on the Mallett train, but want to see it play out.

I am having deja vu in the sense we have a QB who has talent, but is not supported by a running game or an offensive line...and coaches getting out coached. I just can't put my finger on who that QB was...

I just want him to get better game after game. No regressions. Improve his accuracy and decision making. The kid is essentially a rookie because of his game experience, but needs to pick up things a lot faster and only has to the end of the season to prove it because of how long he has been in the league. At the end of the season the jury will be in on whether to draft a QB.

I am on the Mallett train, but want to see it play out.

I am having deja vu in the sense we have a QB who has talent, but is not supported by a running game or an offensive line...and coaches getting out coached. I just can't put my finger on who that QB was...

The acronym! lol

Was it Tony Banks , Dave Ragone or Sage Rosencopter ?!

"Hammer Head" is not a rookie. He has 5 years in the system under the tutelage
of Tom f'ing Brady for most of it.

How long should it take for a guy that is supposed to be a pro to "get it".

I was hoping the Cincy debacle was due to injury, but the first half looked just
like that game..

I was hoping the Cincy debacle was due to injury, but the first half looked just
like that game..

I agree with you. He should have came in & owned like Schaub did back in 2007. He didn't. I don't think he was totally lost though. Let's see what it looks like next week.

like that game..

I am going to introduce you to the Hoyer Theory.

This theory explains that a QB can be great in a meeting, great in practice, great in preseason. But when the lights come on for the real games to start he craps the field or folds. So, until a player gets to play in regular season games you dont know what you have.

There is also the Harden theory of regular season games performance vs playoff games, but that is a lesson for another day.

So Mallett has been in the league studying, but is only now being able to play.

Think of it as what you learned in school vs the real world. Mallett has finally been put into the real world.

I am going to introduce you to the Hoyer Theory.

This theory explains that a QB can be great in a meeting, great in practice, great in preseason. But when the lights come on for the real games to start he craps the field or folds. So, until a player gets to play in regular season games you dont know what you have.

There is also the Harden theory of regular season games performance vs playoff games, but that is a lesson for another day.

So Mallett has been in the league studying, but is only now being able to play.

Think of it as what you learned in school vs the real world. Mallett has finally been put into the real world.

And hasn't done as bad a job as some around here evidently like to believe. How many first down passes did Washington drop yesterday? Oh wait, that was Mallett's fault, he has no touch, right?

12031599_10205317231470501_8496656015675719425_o.jpg

I think this would be a funny jersey to have :joker:

I am sure most of y'all would get the reference

I still think Mallett going to turn out to be pretty good.

Mallett seemed like a guy who was antsy at times and rushed some of his throws when he didn't need to. He did make some boneheaded plays, but overall he played like a guy who only has three games under his belt.

I say we give him the whole season and see if he improves.

And hasn't done as bad a job as some around here evidently like to believe. How many first down passes did Washington drop yesterday? Oh wait, that was Mallett's fault, he has no touch, right?

Hell no, that's Andre's fault for being tired of the backup quarterback shuffle.

9 drops in the 1st half alone.
It's an entirely different game with those catches.
More time on the field for O, less for D, more points, etc. It shouldn't have come down to the last minute.

Mallet will be fine.

Our receivers need to stand in front the JUGS football machine and get used to the balls that come in hot. That's what Denver's corp had to do when Elway was at the helm. They turned out alright.

I do wish.

On a serious note, Mallett looks ten times better when he is running the hurry, why are we not doing this more?

I agree, he did look better as the game went on. I don't know if he'll look like a stud, but it shouldn't hurt that the Texans play at home the next game.

During the game I noted this also. When I communicated this observation, Playoffs related that in order to run an effective hurry offense, you have to make a first down. Unfortunately, when our running game couldn't help buy yardage on initial 1st downs, we could never make it to the next first down.

More time on the field for O, less for D, more points, etc. It shouldn't have come down to the last minute.

Mallet will be fine.

Our receivers need to stand in front the JUGS football machine and get used to the balls that come in hot. That's what Denver's corp had to do when Elway was at the helm. They turned out alright.

BINGO! Those guys should be embarrassed to make the money they make but instead appear unable to handle the very singular responsibility they are hired to do. You get paid to catch the ball. So catch the freakin' ball!!

That might be a hair extreme :chili: but I'd definitely like to see them @ 10 yards with tires set to 'burn rubber'.

I mean ffs.. JJ is over on it after practice and he's not 'necessarily' paid to catch footballs as his prime objective.

Mallet will be fine.

Is that right? I thought it was 9 the whole game, which isn't insignificant but not as damning as 9 drops in the first half.

3 yards away set on 150 mph

Aimed clearly at their nuts for that extra incentive!
:spy:

I agree with you. He should have came in & owned like Schaub did back in 2007. He didn't. I don't think he was totally lost though. Let's see what it looks like next week.
Dofference is Schaub came as the starter and not this bs competion crap we had all off season. Not splitting reps and such. yesterday felt like a preseason game.., out of sync and awkward. Maybe this is why

BINGO! Those guys should be embarrassed to make the money they make but instead appear unable to handle the very singular responsibility they are hired to do. You get paid to catch the ball. So catch the freakin' ball!!
We were just watching Andrew luck and he forces his receivers to make plays and makes them be open. Our guys are not use to that type qb. They need to learn that as well as how to catch these high speed passes. We complain when we have noodle arm schaub. Now we complain that we have fast ball mallett.

BoB said we had 7 or 8 drops, that is incredible. That would have made Mallett just a tick over 60% and would have kept some drives alive. I think the drops and lack of run game was our problem.

Not saying Mallett doesn't have to keep improving his accuracy and touch, but 60% isn't that bad considering it was his third start and hasn't been taking all the reps with the first team.

We were just watching Andrew luck and he forces his receivers to make plays and makes them be open. Our guys are not use to that type qb. They need to learn that as well as how to catch these high speed passes. We complain when we have noodle arm schaub. Now we complain that we have fast ball mallett.

I'm watching Luck right now, and at the half he is not doing do great at forcing his receivers to make any plays and is only 5/14 for 52 yards 1 INT and 1 fumble at the half. I must say it's making me feel better about yesterday's loss.

Your point is taken however. O'Brien blew it bringing Hoyer in to compete. Others have mentioned it, and I agree. The Job was Mallett's to lose and there should have been no competition, especially with a known bust like Hoyer. Now if Hoyer just lit it up in camp --and he didn't-- then I could understand. Mallet should have been getting every first team rep from day one and perhaps things would be better. O'Brien put this team in a hole to begin the season with his bromance with Hoyer.

Last edited:
I'm watching Luck right now, and at the half he is not doing do great at forcing his receivers to make any plays and is only 5/14 for 52 yards at the half. I must say it's making me feel better about yesterday's loss.

Your point is taken however. O'Brien blew it bringing Hoyer in to compete. Others have mentioned it, and I agree. The Job was Mallett's to lose and there should have been no competition, especially with a known bust like Hoyer. Now if Hoyer just lit it up in camp --and he didn't-- then I could understand. Mallet should have been getting every first team rep from day one and perhaps things would be better. O'Brien put this team in a hole to begin the season with his bromance with Hoyer.

Funny we were just saying the same thing. Andrew Luck looks very much like yesterday. Constant pressure and a lot of dropped passes. But to my point aj has dropped 3 passes so far. He isn't used to a real qb either. Lol.

I think Mallett will improve and now with the colts also 0-2 it would seem the urgency to panick is subsiding..,we'll see if they come back. Maybe the sky isn't falling after all.

I think Mallett will improve and now with the colts also 0-2 it would seem the urgency to panick is subsiding..,we'll see if they come back. Maybe the sky isn't falling after all.

Not so fast on the Colts being 0-2, but I know what you're saying.

You know who Is 0-2, though?

Ravens 0-2
Saints 0-2
Seahawks 0-2
Eagles 0-2

If you would have asked me before the season if any one of those teams, including us, would be 0-2, I would have said no way.

Not so fast on the Colts being 0-2, but I know what you're saying.

You know who Is 0-2, though?

Ravens 0-2
Saints 0-2
Seahawks 0-2
Eagles 0-2

If you would have asked me before the season if any one of those teams, including us, would be 0-2, I would have said no way.

You forgot the Giants... But I never would have guessed any of them.
And the jets just recovered the football

Your point is taken however. O'Brien blew it bringing Hoyer in to compete. Others have mentioned it, and I agree. The Job was Mallett's to lose and there should have been no competition, especially with a known bust like Hoyer.

If not for the added distractions of Hard Knocks it might not have been an issue. But yeah, neither QB was "ready" to start the season.

I understand what you're saying about the Colts, bit this really has nothing to do with them. Odds take a considerable dive if a team goes 0-3 compared to 1-2

Panic. It's called for.

My observation from tonight: Andre Johnson, who didn't stay with the Texans because they couldn't guarantee him "star" status---"reduction in reps". Was mostly ignored in the Colts loss.

Back