Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans Offensive Line

What I am wondering? Are we just that bad at evaluating this position, or is our coaching really bad? We have invested more in the O-line than any other position. Tunsil is the highest paid LT in football and we aquired him for two first rounders, Green and Howard were first rounders as well, Scruggs an early second rounder and Shaq Mason a well payed FA acquisition. Is there any O-Line in the NFL, that has a higher salary or more high draft picks invested than the Texans? That's really frustrating - either they need to get new scouts or new coaches or both...

FWIW PFF rated Houston OL #25 this past June. Maybe the new OL coach will improve on that rating.

25. HOUSTON TEXANS (UP 1)
Projected Starting Lineup
LT Laremy Tunsil
LG Kenyon Green
C Juice Scruggs – Rookie
RG Shaq Mason
RT Tytus Howard

Adding Shaq Mason, even though he was coming off a relatively poor year, was a shrewd piece of business by the Texans this offseason.
Houston finished as the worst team in the league at generating yards before contact in the run game, averaging just 0.8 yards all year, and Mason is one of the best run blockers in football.

Reactions: JB
Green under the microscope for poor performance - Howard jumps to his defense citing he's only 22.
Fair comment or nepotism?

What I am wondering? Are we just that bad at evaluating this position, or is our coaching really bad? We have invested more in the O-line than any other position. Tunsil is the highest paid LT in football and we aquired him for two first rounders, Green and Howard were first rounders as well, Scruggs an early second rounder and Shaq Mason a well payed FA acquisition. Is there any O-Line in the NFL, that has a higher salary or more high draft picks invested than the Texans? That's really frustrating - either they need to get new scouts or new coaches or both...

The answer to your question is yes. We have gotten a new GM, some new scouts, and new coaches.

That's part of the problem along with the fact that some of the people we got sucked. We've been in-transition.

The Tunsil trade was made by O'Brien, who was one of the worst GMs this world has ever seen. O'Brien was also the one who drafted Tytus Howard probably to be our LT, but then a year later had to pull the trigger for Tunsil because the FA players he'd brought in to play LT were so freaking bad that he panicked because he knew he was going to get DW4 killed. That led to a terrible trade.

Caserio took over the mess left by O'Brien and made moves based on input from the offensive coaches, coaches who have changed every year he's been here and that's changed the kind of players they're looking for. He drafted Green for Pep Hamilton's offense which was more of a power scheme than what we're going to have with Slowik. He also made a lot of FA acquisitions sifting through other people's trash trying to find warm bodies over the past few years.

First of all the amount of hamstring injuries we've had is completely ridiculous.

Second of all went from feeling decent about the oline with Scruggs playing decently as a rookie and Green having a good first two preseason games. Now Green has gotten himself injured again and Scruggs looks to be out for a bit.

Interestingly enough I saw a 24' mock that had Houston taking Ohio State guard (and Texas native) Donovan Jackson. Donovan is a true junior.
This would be interesting. I like Duke’s Graham Barton. He’s similar to this years Peter Skoronski as far as he’s an excellent OT prospect, but does have shorter arms that some teams will push him inside to OG.

I think LG will be a need when Green doesn’t pan out.

Well he was pretty awful in Pittsburgh and was probably about to get cut. Not sure why we threw away a 6th on him.

Regardless injuries already have this line in shambles with 3 of the 5 projected starters uncertain for week 1.

Well he was pretty awful in Pittsburgh and was probably about to get cut. Not sure why we threw away a 6th on him.

Regardless injuries already have this line in shambles with 3 of the 5 projected starters uncertain for week 1.
3 of the 5? Besides Howard, who else is hurt?

3 of the 5? Besides Howard, who else is hurt?
Juice Scruggs & Kenyon Green

Green is whatever as he's replaceable with just about any JAG off the street, but the Scruggs injury really sucks. He was looking good and the game experience and reps are going to be vital for him as the protections caller.

The Texans have generally been willing to pay the highest possible price, put themselves in positions with little leverage, and reach on players in the draft. Add it all up and you can see why they have invested so much and got little value back.

If you're talking who starts game one, I agree the most likely lineup is Tunsil, Dieter, Patterson, Mason, Fant.

Yeah, that's all I'm saying.

That's the line they were running with when Stroud threw the TD to Nico. My only concern is having Patterson, another rookie, calling line shifts. I'd feel more comfortable with Dieter's (or Morrissey's) experience there, but they seem to be OK with it.

I have to admit, I forgot about Morissey as an option.

They got about a week and a half to figure it out. Hopefully Stroud is still standing at the end of the game.

Demeco was saying that they have been giving Deiter the reps at Center.

That makes me feel a little better. In the Saints game, on the Stroud drive for the TD, they were running with Dieter at LG and Patterson at C. I'd prefer having some experience at C making the line shift calls.

This would be interesting. I like Duke’s Graham Barton. He’s similar to this years Peter Skoronski as far as he’s an excellent OT prospect, but does have shorter arms that some teams will push him inside to OG.

I think LG will be a need when Green doesn’t pan out.

Houston should be able to get a high-quality guard. Donovan Jackson would definitely be a safe pick. He practices every day against an Ohio State defensive line that is probably top 3 in the nation and more than holds his own.

Tunsil was traded to the Texans on 8/31/19 and played opening Monday night in New Orleans on 9/9/19. So there's precedent if Jones and/or Green are needed. Neither are rooks, so that may help.
Tackle does have a lot less to do especially in the run game though.

Centers in this system make the protection calls so understanding the calls and understanding a zone blocking scheme is vital.

This went from a group I was pretty optimistic about to a circus in about 48 hours.
I'm still confidant about it long term as Green is IRd but is easily replaceable, Howard's injury is short-term, leaving Scruggs as the only real loss and he was a rookie anyway.

When healthy it's a solid line with reasonable depth imo.

OK, so, opening day?

Tunsil - Kendrick/Jones? - Patterson - Mason - Fant

Is that it? That's a lot of faith in Patterson.
It might be Kendrick at C and Pattersson at G, but agreed it's a lot of faith in them both. Still find it wild they cut Deiter because even if they like Kendrick more for that role at least wait until he's in the building to confirm. That said Deiter likely isn't getting claimed this quickly so I guess they can likely re-sign him if they really need to.

It might be Kendrick at C and Pattersson at G, but agreed it's a lot of faith in them both. Still find it wild they cut Deiter because even if they like Kendrick more for that role at least wait until he's in the building to confirm. That said Deiter likely isn't getting claimed this quickly so I guess they can likely re-sign him if they really need to.

That's a good point. I was thinking of Kendrick at G and forgetting his time at C.

I'm still confidant about it long term as Green is IRd but is easily replaceable, Howard's injury is short-term, leaving Scruggs as the only real loss and he was a rookie anyway.

When healthy it's a solid line with reasonable depth imo.
When Scruggs and Howard are back I feel reasonably okay about it although I don't see how we fill the hole at LG at this point. But my concern at this point is week 1 where we almost certainly will not have Scruggs back and Howard is still up in the air.

When Scruggs and Howard are back I feel reasonably okay about it although I don't see how we fill the hole at LG at this point. But my concern at this point is week 1 where we almost certainly will not have Scruggs back and Howard is still up in the air.
1 questionable spot on a line is fine. We don't need the line to have 5 pro-bowlers, an average free agent will do.

Fact is upgrading on what Kenyon Green has done thus far is easy. Between Pattersson, Jones, or Kendrick Green one of them should be able to provide competent LG play.

Interestingly enough I saw a 24' mock that had Houston taking Ohio State guard (and Texas native) Donovan Jackson. Donovan is a true junior.
Is the Texans current OL better than the OSU OL last yr?

Paris Johnson/Jackson/Wypler/Dewand Jones?

Hoping for the best. Had high hopes for this unit after everything invested into the position, but the football gods had other plans. Lets hope we find a diamond in the rough and the OL can still be a strength of the team.

As it stands, our shiny rookie QB is going to be playing behind a patchwork OL in Baltimore on opening day. It does not get more “welcome to the NFL” than that!

When Howard and Scruggs get back in 3-4 weeks the OL will look a lot better.

Tunsil/Jones/Patterson/Kendrick at LG/Scruggs/Mason/Howard will look alot better than what they start the season with.

I could actually see Tunsil/Scruggs/Mason/Howard with depending on how he plays in the 2-4 weeks that Scuggs is out Patterson at LG. He played LG at Notre Dame and played it quite well.

Problem is with all of the shuffling and new OL the OL doesn't have anytime to jell. The OL coach has his work cut out for him over the next couple of weeks.

Back