Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Texans Offensive Line

Caserio will be microscoping waivers and has cap space IF he can work a trade. I'm more concerned about right tackle than OC.

He's already made 2 trades for OL.

Jones will most likely be starting somewhere on week 1. I'm most interested in seeing how Patterson does at center. He played C at Notre Dame, but he was better at LG IMHO.

They were both descended from Lucy.

sub-buzz-973-1619744845-7.jpg

No?

The Texans will start the season with 3 guys no NFL team expect to start at LG, C, and RT.

That's crazy with a rookie QB who hardly receive snaps with the Center.

Even if Howard returns (which is very doubtful), how effective can he be right off the bat?

They'd better run the ball more than a lot, despite the score.

The Texans will start the season with 3 guys no NFL team expect to start at LG, C, and RT.

Even if Howard returns (which is very doubtful), how effective can he be right off the bat?

Uh huh, uh huh

Signed Arizona Cardinals

If this is true......... damn were back to square 1 and we just named Stroud starter. Yikes........... and gave up on Deculus w/o NFL start.

Texans 53-man roster.

Who's the next OL to go from the 53-Man roster now that Kendrick Green (LG) has been traded for?

Need to revise this post since I just read through the Injury thread. Looks like Kenyon Green is out for the season and Kendrick Green is in to fill a hole.

My guess as of today for the starting OL in GM 1:
LT- Tunsil
LG- Green, Kendrick
OC- Patterson
RG- Mason
RT- Fant

SOT- Jones
SOG- Deiter

OUT
RT- Howard
OC- Scruggs
LG- Green

Might be interesting to see which OL get signed and assigned to PS.

Last edited:
Who's the next OL to go from the 53-Man roster now that Kendrick Green (LG) has been traded for?

Need to revise this post since I just read through the Injury thread. Looks like Kenyon Green is out for the season and Kendrick Green is in to fill a hole.

My guess as of today for the starting OL in GM 1:
LT- Tunsil
LG- Green, Kendrick
OC- Patterson
RG- Mason
RT- Fant

SOT- Jones
SOG- Deiter

OUT
RT- Howard
OC- Scruggs
LG- Green

Might be interesting to see which OL get signed and assigned to PS.

Did Deiter get re-signed? He was cut.

He's already made 2 trades for OL.

Jones will most likely be starting somewhere on week 1. I'm most interested in seeing how Patterson does at center. He played C at Notre Dame, but he was better at LG IMHO.

It could be Green playing C and Patterson out to LG.

Jones could be going in at RT to replace Fant, or in to LG as well.

I'm expecting:
Tunsil - Patterson - Green - Mason - Jones

But I wouldn't be surprised by other permutations like Tunsil - Jones - Green - Mason - Fant to get experienced guys on the field.

It could be Green playing C and Patterson out to LG.

Jones could be going in at RT to replace Fant, or in to LG as well.

I'm expecting:
Tunsil - Patterson - Green - Mason - Jones

But I wouldn't be surprised by other permutations like Tunsil - Jones - Green - Mason - Fant to get experienced guys on the field.

It’s unfortunate that every depth option has limited time in system.

Jones: Just traded last week.
Fant: Signed earlier this month.
Green: Traded yesterday.
Patterson: Rookie who has missed time this offseason due to injury and slid in draft due to injury history.

Waiver wire will be interesting this afternoon. The team must know something to cut Deiter/Morrisey, two vets with a full offseason experience in this system. Are they PS eligible? That would make sense to elevate them to game day roster until the starters get healthy then they revert back to PS.

But that’s quite a gamble. And not even all that ideal an option to protect the shiny new rookie QB.

I keep putting on my rose colored glasses and thinking back to the Chargers game 2021 Culley season. Texans had injuries on OL as I recall and yet Burkhead had a career game running wild against the Chargers. Maybe… just maybe *fingers crossed*

Before people get too hand wringy about the offensive line I'd ask them to look around the league.

We've still got easily the best one in the division and still have the best one for a rookie QB.

Very likely that rookie 6th rounder Jarrett Patterson will be starting game 1. Whether its LG or C remains to be seen. I hope he can be the “Brock Purdy” that negates the 1st rounder he’s replacing.
I dunno but Patterson could end up being one of the real steals of the 2023 Draft because Casserio seems to have some success picking mid and late round players while so far he's got nothing but incompletes/unsatisfactories with the first rounders.
Nobody expects us to go up to Baltimore and beat Lamar Jackson & his crew so lets just concentrate on keeping CJ healthy and upright behind what looks to be an inexperienced and outmanned OLine, and ready for the following week in our real season opener at NRG vs division rival Indy.

I dunno but Patterson could end up being one of the real steals of the 2023 Draft because Casserio seems to have some success picking mid and late round players while so far he's got nothing but incompletes/unsatisfactories with the first rounders.
Other than Dameon Pierce, who are these great mid and late rounders Caserio has selected? I reserve judgement on Patterson until he plays in an actual NFL game.

Other than Dameon Pierce, who are these great mid and late rounders Caserio has selected? I reserve judgement on Patterson until he plays in an actual NFL game.
I will say Roy Lopez was a good pick. I was honestly surprised he was cut, but I guess the injury made him expendable.

I will say Roy Lopez was a good pick. I was honestly surprised he was cut, but I guess the injury made him expendable.
I think Lopez was just reflective of the lack of talent on the team the past 2 seasons. He might catch on as a reserve somewhere. Lopez occasionally flashed, but as I said earlier in the offseason he wasn't going to get a lot of snaps in Ryans defense.

I keep putting on my rose colored glasses and thinking back to the Chargers game 2021 Culley season. Texans had injuries on OL as I recall and yet Burkhead had a career game running wild against the Chargers. Maybe… just maybe *fingers crossed*
Right, but I'm remembering that was a COVID depleted Charger squad.

Casserio is one of the few people who's reputation precedes him despite not actually doing the things in his reputation that precedes him, Casserio's reputation precedes his reputation. He has a good reputation for finding guys in late rounds based on guys who get cut and have never played a down in the NFL, go figure.

Took a few minutes to watch some snaps of Kendrick Green's from 2021 and it doesn't look near as bad as Steelers fans are saying. Raw stats also aren't terrible. Gave up 3 sacks, 18 pressures and 4 holds in 16 games started. For reference Scotty Q last year gave up 7 sacks, 36 pressures, and 1 hold. For another reference the best centers typically give up 10-15 pressures, 0-2 sacks, and commit a couple holds throughout the course of the year. So idk to me looks like he could be a serviceable player in the short term but probably not someone you want starting more than a couple games.

Problem is he doesn't know the system so I don't think you can just trot him out there as your center week 1 but what do I know.

Casserio is one of the few people who's reputation precedes him despite not actually doing the things in his reputation that precedes him, Casserio's reputation precedes his reputation. He has a good reputation for finding guys in late rounds based on guys who get cut and have never played a down in the NFL, go figure.
I'm so dizzy my head is spinning..

Took a few minutes to watch some snaps of Kendrick Green's from 2021 and it doesn't look near as bad as Steelers fans are saying. Raw stats also aren't terrible. Gave up 3 sacks, 18 pressures and 4 holds in 16 games started. For reference Scotty Q last year gave up 7 sacks, 36 pressures, and 1 hold. For another reference the best centers typically give up 10-15 pressures, 0-2 sacks, and commit a couple holds throughout the course of the year. So idk to me looks like he could be a serviceable player in the short term but probably not someone you want starting more than a couple games.

Problem is he doesn't know the system so I don't think you can just trot him out there as your center week 1 but what do I know.
The Steelers' Oline was ranked 26th in 2021, with Green being the weakest link.

He was helped by Big Ben's ability to quickly get rid of the ball (2.2 seconds).

The line ranked 17th in pass block and 24th in run block.
https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-final-2021-offensive-line-rankings

Last year, with Green on the bench, the 5 starters played almost all of the snaps together (quite rare), the line improved to 7th in pass block and 18th in run block.

https://triblive.com/sports/tim-ben...eal-its-offensive-line-improvement-truly-was/

I did not say "great", but rather "some success", and those players IMO would include atleast Mills, Collins, Harris, & Dell.

I really don't consider 3rd round as mid or late round. You expect those guys to make the team and play through their rookie deals.
I was interested in what the actual hit rate and keep rate was for 3rd rounders so I figured I'd check the 2019 draft which looks like it was quite a decent year from a talent standpoint and there's some names in the third that immediately jump out for sure.

Our pick? Kahale Warring.

$&!? dammit

Although if anyone know where I can find the hard data please let me know

The Steelers' Oline was ranked 26th in 2021, with Green being the weakest link.

He was helped by Big Ben's ability to quickly get rid of the ball (2.2 seconds).

The line ranked 17th in pass block and 24th in run block.
https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-final-2021-offensive-line-rankings

Last year, with Green on the bench, the 5 starters played almost all of the snaps together (quite rare), the line improved to 7th in pass block and 18th in run block.

https://triblive.com/sports/tim-ben...eal-its-offensive-line-improvement-truly-was/
Again not saying the dude should be starting for us or anything but he's a step up from Scotty Q last year (low bar I know) and there's at least a decent chance that he can hold it down a game or two until we can heal up.

My main point is really hearing bad things from Steelers fans is not encouraging but if he does start for a couple of games there's a decent chance it isn't as bad as last year.

https://stillcurtain.com/2022/01/05/kendrick-green-biggest-liability-steelers/

Again not saying the dude should be starting for us or anything but he's a step up from Scotty Q last year (low bar I know) and there's at least a decent chance that he can hold it down a game or two until we can heal up.

My main point is really hearing bad things from Steelers fans is not encouraging but if he does start for a couple of games there's a decent chance it isn't as bad as last year.

i hope he play better than the 33rd ranking he got for 2021.

https://stillcurtain.com/2022/01/05/kendrick-green-biggest-liability-steelers/

i hope he play better than the 33rd ranking he got for 2021.
Tangentially related but someday I'd love to sit down with a PFF grader and watch them do oline. I just chose a random center and was checking out his game grades from last year.

Game 1: 26 pass snaps, 1 hurry allowed, 1 pressure allowed, no penalties allowed. Pass blocking grade is a 58.9

Game 2: 28 pass snaps, 1 hurry allowed, 1 pressure allowed, no penalties allowed. Pass blocking grade of 29.8

Goes from a slightly below average grade to an abysmal "should be out of the league" grade. Someone make that make sense.

Tangentially related but someday I'd love to sit down with a PFF grader and watch them do oline. I just chose a random center and was checking out his game grades from last year.

Game 1: 26 pass snaps, 1 hurry allowed, 1 pressure allowed, no penalties allowed. Pass blocking grade is a 58.9

Game 2: 28 pass snaps, 1 hurry allowed, 1 pressure allowed, no penalties allowed. Pass blocking grade of 29.8

Goes from a slightly below average grade to an abysmal "should be out of the league" grade. Someone make that make sense.

No one really knows what a guy was supposed to do unless they know what play was called in the huddle and what shifts were called at the line. They can have ideas about it, but they don't know.

I mean... it generates data. We all love our stats and numbers, but this approach is fundamentally flawed.

Back