Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Texans Offensive Line

Tangentially related but someday I'd love to sit down with a PFF grader and watch them do oline. I just chose a random center and was checking out his game grades from last year.

Game 1: 26 pass snaps, 1 hurry allowed, 1 pressure allowed, no penalties allowed. Pass blocking grade is a 58.9

Game 2: 28 pass snaps, 1 hurry allowed, 1 pressure allowed, no penalties allowed. Pass blocking grade of 29.8

Goes from a slightly below average grade to an abysmal "should be out of the league" grade. Someone make that make sense.
Yeah, i often don't get how they decide. I understand their method or at least how the method is described yet often i scratch my noggin.

Yeah, i often don't get how they decide. I understand their method or at least how the method is described yet often i scratch my noggin.
Wish they would be a lil more transparent with it. Don't think it hurts their brand to explain why a guy who gave up 1 pressure in 28 snaps had an awful pass blocking game but whatever. Guess I'll have to apply to find out more.

Tangentially related but someday I'd love to sit down with a PFF grader and watch them do oline. I just chose a random center and was checking out his game grades from last year.

Game 1: 26 pass snaps, 1 hurry allowed, 1 pressure allowed, no penalties allowed. Pass blocking grade is a 58.9

Game 2: 28 pass snaps, 1 hurry allowed, 1 pressure allowed, no penalties allowed. Pass blocking grade of 29.8

Goes from a slightly below average grade to an abysmal "should be out of the league" grade. Someone make that make sense.
Let's look at it in a different way.
In the 2022 offseason, the Steelers went out and sign a veteran center to a 3 yr deal.
This offseason, a 7th rounder Olineman made the roster, Spencer Anderson, because he can play 3 positions on the line, C, G, and OT.

Kendrick can't even fend off a rookie 7th rounder.

Let's look at it in a different way.
In the 2022 offseason, the Steelers went out and sign a veteran center to a 3 yr deal.
This offseason, a 7th rounder Olineman made the roster, Spencer Anderson, because he can play 3 positions on the line, C, G, and OT.

Kendrick can't even fend off a rookie 7th rounder.
Do you think I'm saying he's Chris Meyers reincarnated or something how many times do I have to explain this to you? Again he gave up significantly less pressures and sacks than our starting Center last year. Don't think he's gonna be the savior of our oline or anything but by 2022 Texans standards he's an all pro.

Last edited:
Do you think I'm saying he's Chris Meyers reincarnated or something how many times do I have to explain this to you? Again he gave up significantly less pressures and sacks than our starting Center last year. Don't think he's gonna be the savior of our oline or anything but by 2022 Texans standards he's an all pro.
You missed the part where Big Ben was clocked to a Time-to-throw of 2.2 seconds.

Mills had a hair more time.

If you're going to look at numbers, you also need to prorated it to the number of s passing snaps.

You also has to account for the run blocking part.

Big Ben didn't take a dig at Green this offseason when the Steelers tried to work Green in as a FB, but he acknowledged that Green is not even a backup Center.
https://www.steelernation.com/2023/08/11/steelers-roethlisberger-uses-green-story-to-blast-colbert

With Big Ben's experience; he just know when to get rid of the ball.
Green may not be charged for a sack or a pressure because his QB can read a defense better than Mills.

You're hoping that Green is less bad than Quess; I said it's too close to call, especially as Green will not have much time to gel with this rag-a-tag Oline.

It's not his fault, but it’s hard to see him performing better than Quess with a new QB, a new OC, a new HC, a new everything.

I think it's my frustration that they cut Deiter, who had shown better for a guy the Steelers didn't want to keep.

It's just a baffling move.

Look at Deiter's numbers.

https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/michael-deiter/38554

And they cut him for Kendrick?

Took a few minutes to watch some snaps of Kendrick Green's from 2021 and it doesn't look near as bad as Steelers fans are saying. Raw stats also aren't terrible. Gave up 3 sacks, 18 pressures and 4 holds in 16 games started. For reference Scotty Q last year gave up 7 sacks, 36 pressures, and 1 hold. For another reference the best centers typically give up 10-15 pressures, 0-2 sacks, and commit a couple holds throughout the course of the year. So idk to me looks like he could be a serviceable player in the short term but probably not someone you want starting more than a couple games.

Problem is he doesn't know the system so I don't think you can just trot him out there as your center week 1 but what do I know.

Yep....that was the issue for "Q", they got past him far too fast for his brain to process and execute the "hold".

Was Deiter picked up by anybody? I didn’t see him being signed to the practice squad.

Looks like Deiter is back on the practice squad! I expect him to be a game day elevation for the max time that is allowed until players get healthy/up to speed. Like the team did with Jordan Akins last season until they had to brong him to active roster full time.

My prediction is him and Patterson start week 1.

Scruggs to IR will be out at least 4 weeks. Better than rushing him back and losing him for longer but that’s disappointing. I’d guess Deiter gets the guard start for a while and maybe Patterson at center? Pretty suspect but any NFL team with 3 injuries on their oline will be in a bad spot

I expect Kendrick Green to be our C.

Updated Roster From houstontexans.com

53 Man Roster

Offense -- 25 Players

WR: Noah Brown -- Nico Collins -- Tank Dell -- Xavier Hutchinson -- John Metchie III -- Robert Woods
C/G: Kendrick Green -- Jarrett Patterson
G: Nick Broeker -- Shaq Mason
RB: Mike Boone -- Dare Ogunbowale -- Dameon Pierce -- Devin Singletary
TE: Brevin Jordan -- Teagan Quitoriano -- Dalton Schultz
T: George Fant -- Tytus Howard -- Josh Jones -- Laremy Tunsil
FB: Andrew Beck
QB: Case Keenum -- Davis Mills -- C.J. Stroud

Defense -- 26 Players

LB: Blake Cashman -- Jake Hansen -- Christian Harris -- Neville Hewitt -- Cory Littleton -- Denzel Perryman -- Henry To'oTo'o
DE: Will Anderson Jr. -- Jonathan Greenard -- Dylan Horton -- Jerry Hughes
CB: Alex Austin -- Shaquill Griffin -- Ka'dar Hollman -- Steven Nelson -- Derek Stingley Jr. -- Tavierre Thomas
S: Grayland Arnold -- Eric Murray -- Jalen Pitre -- M.J. Stewart -- Jimmie Ward
DT: Maliek Collins -- Kurt Hinish -- Sheldon Rankins -- Hassan Ridgeway

Special Teams -- 2 Players

LS: Jon Weeks
K: Ka'imi Fairbairn
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Practice Squad

Offense -- 8 Players

WR: Johnny Johnson III -- Lance McCutcheon -- Steven Sims
C/G: Michael Deiter
G: Dieter Eiselen
TE: Dalton Keene
T: Austin Deculus
C: Jimmy Morrissey

Defense -- 7 Players

LB: Garret Wallow
DT: Khalil Davis
CB: Cobi Francis
DE: Ali Gaye -- Adedayo Odeleye -- Derek Rivers
S: Brandon Hill

Special Teams -- 1 Players

P: Ty Zentner

IR

Offense -- 7 Players

WR: Jesse Matthews
C/G: Juice Scruggs
G: Kenyon Green
T: DJ Scaife -- Kilian Zierer
FB: Troy Hairston
C: Scott Quessenberry

P: Cameron Johnston

If anything I'd like to see Kendrick Green at G with Pattersson at C.

Pattersson has been here and should know the system well enough to make the calls while Green can possibly go back to what he was best at which was playing LG in a wide zone blocking scheme at Illinois.

Updated Roster From houstontexans.com

53 Man Roster

Offense -- 25 Players

WR: Noah Brown -- Nico Collins -- Tank Dell -- Xavier Hutchinson -- John Metchie III -- Robert Woods
C/G: Kendrick Green -- Jarrett Patterson
G: Nick Broeker -- Shaq Mason
RB: Mike Boone -- Dare Ogunbowale -- Dameon Pierce -- Devin Singletary
TE: Brevin Jordan -- Teagan Quitoriano -- Dalton Schultz
T: George Fant -- Tytus Howard -- Josh Jones -- Laremy Tunsil
FB: Andrew Beck
QB: Case Keenum -- Davis Mills -- C.J. Stroud

Defense -- 26 Players

LB: Blake Cashman -- Jake Hansen -- Christian Harris -- Neville Hewitt -- Cory Littleton -- Denzel Perryman -- Henry To'oTo'o
DE: Will Anderson Jr. -- Jonathan Greenard -- Dylan Horton -- Jerry Hughes
CB: Alex Austin -- Shaquill Griffin -- Ka'dar Hollman -- Steven Nelson -- Derek Stingley Jr. -- Tavierre Thomas
S: Grayland Arnold -- Eric Murray -- Jalen Pitre -- M.J. Stewart -- Jimmie Ward
DT: Maliek Collins -- Kurt Hinish -- Sheldon Rankins -- Hassan Ridgeway

Special Teams -- 2 Players

LS: Jon Weeks
K: Ka'imi Fairbairn

Practice Squad

Offense -- 8 Players

WR: Johnny Johnson III -- Lance McCutcheon -- Steven Sims
C/G: Michael Deiter
G: Dieter Eiselen
TE: Dalton Keene
T: Austin Deculus
C: Jimmy Morrissey

Defense -- 7 Players

LB: Garret Wallow
DT: Khalil Davis
CB: Cobi Francis
DE: Ali Gaye -- Adedayo Odeleye -- Derek Rivers
S: Brandon Hill

P: Ty Zentner

IR

Offense -- 7 Players

WR: Jesse Matthews
C/G: Juice Scruggs
G: Kenyon Green
T: DJ Scaife -- Kilian Zierer
FB: Troy Hairston
C: Scott Quessenberry

P: Cameron Johnston
I'm glad to see that they're not going to rush Scruggs/Johnston back. This is a change in philosophy.

32444711-5c62-4969-9a23-5599dab4b7ce_text.gif

Opening day starting OL prediction:

LT Tunsil
LG Patterson
C Deiter (practice squad elevation)
RG Mason
RT Fant

I don’t think that the new additions will have had enough reps in camp to learn the system where the coaching staff is comfortable starting them. But obviously if someone falls flat on their face and Stroud is getting hammered I could see them rotating one of the newest additions in and allowing them to sink or swim.

Took a few minutes to watch some snaps of Kendrick Green's from 2021 and it doesn't look near as bad as Steelers fans are saying. Raw stats also aren't terrible. Gave up 3 sacks, 18 pressures and 4 holds in 16 games started. For reference Scotty Q last year gave up 7 sacks, 36 pressures, and 1 hold. For another reference the best centers typically give up 10-15 pressures, 0-2 sacks, and commit a couple holds throughout the course of the year. So idk to me looks like he could be a serviceable player in the short term but probably not someone you want starting more than a couple games.

Problem is he doesn't know the system so I don't think you can just trot him out there as your center week 1 but what do I know.

Steeler fan here and I'm not here to bag on anyone, just to give you an idea of what you have in Green. He isn't good. Now, I won't hang the putrid results of 2021 on Green. He wasn't the Steelers worst offensive linemen. We had options for that distinction. I've been a Steeler fan a long time and I've seen some bad OL play, but that 2021 offensive line was probably the worst collection of players they have ever assembled. Ever. Chuks Okorafor was probably the best player and he was still learning. Dan Moore was a rookie. He is better in Y3, but he had rookie pains. Kevin Dotson was a RG and he struggled, still is, much like Green, and they traded him this off season, much like they did with Green. But, the worst of the worst was Trai Turner. What a waste of a uniform and he was supposed to come in as a veteran and help give the line identity and settle them. He did, like a rock around their neck dragging them under.

Green had to play beside him and there were plenty of times where a call was made, you could see Green go left, Turner would go right, and they would let the big DT just get a free run. I think most of that was on Turner. Green doesn't make a glut of mental mistakes like that, his issues are technique. The problem is, they are not getting better.

Focusing on Green, he isn't a big guy. He is 6017-305 pounds. His arms are not "short", but are shorter at 32 1/4" long. Strong enough. Athletic as hell. If you want to pull your guy and have him lead runs, Green is your man. He can flat out run and find guys in space to light them up. Really exciting there. And, he moves well in pass protection, shows the ability to slide down the line against the run. Where he struggles, he can't handle power and technical DTs on his own. If he has to reach, sometimes he will jump to get his reach block and the DT can get in that open door and once they gain an advantage, he doesn't regroup well. If he loses leverage early, guys will walk him back and even sit him down. And, it isn't in just pass pro. If a guy shoots the gap, he can't regain control. They will ride him into run plays. There were a lot of plays where his man drove him into the backfield and blew up the run, causing the back to have to cut it into pursuit. That is at both center and guard. They tried him at LG last year after signing Cole and Daniels for center and RG. He battled Dotson and lost. We traded Dotson for a flip of 5ths (2024) and a flip of 6ths (2025). Green couldn't beat him out. Dotson, honestly, is a better player. At center, Green's issues are even worse because he will spray snaps to the right of the QB. And, they are hot and about waist high. Seems to have gotten worse this off season, like he has the YIPS.

Maybe the Texans are more of a zone team and they can double and move to the second level, giving him some help. That helped some with the Steelers, but you can't protect everyone all the time. The NFL recognizes weaknesses and will do things to force you to play one-on-one, and that is where Green finds trouble. I've attached a video that shows how DL can get under him and walk him back. It happens more than you want.

To be a great OL in the NFL, you can't allow sacks, especially interior guys, and you can't get penalties. Furthermore, if you do anything well, it starts with holding your ground and Green really struggles to do that. I'm hoping your scheme and coaches can get him back on track. Humble guy. Hard worker. He is a guy you can root for, just doesn't seem to have found "it" yet and I'm not sure he will. For a 6th, those are fliers anyway. If he provides nothing but depth, he is worth a 6th. The Steelers front office just loaded up on the OL over the past two seasons. I mean, Broderick Jones, the 14th pick, probably won't see the field this year. The added Nate Herbig, a spot starter from the Jets and Isaac Seumalo, a starter from the Eagles, to Cole and Daniels signing last year. Three quality starters and a starter potential as a backup. Complete rebuild and Green wasn't in the plans.

EDIT: MUTE the sound. Guys is an idiot.

Steeler fan here and I'm not here to bag on anyone, just to give you an idea of what you have in Green. He isn't good. Now, I won't hang the putrid results of 2021 on Green. He wasn't the Steelers worst offensive linemen. We had options for that distinction. I've been a Steeler fan a long time and I've seen some bad OL play, but that 2021 offensive line was probably the worst collection of players they have ever assembled. Ever. Chuks Okorafor was probably the best player and he was still learning. Dan Moore was a rookie. He is better in Y3, but he had rookie pains. Kevin Dotson was a RG and he struggled, still is, much like Green, and they traded him this off season, much like they did with Green. But, the worst of the worst was Trai Turner. What a waste of a uniform and he was supposed to come in as a veteran and help give the line identity and settle them. He did, like a rock around their neck dragging them under.

Green had to play beside him and there were plenty of times where a call was made, you could see Green go left, Turner would go right, and they would let the big DT just get a free run. I think most of that was on Turner. Green doesn't make a glut of mental mistakes like that, his issues are technique. The problem is, they are not getting better.

Focusing on Green, he isn't a big guy. He is 6017-305 pounds. His arms are not "short", but are shorter at 32 1/4" long. Strong enough. Athletic as hell. If you want to pull your guy and have him lead runs, Green is your man. He can flat out run and find guys in space to light them up. Really exciting there. And, he moves well in pass protection, shows the ability to slide down the line against the run. Where he struggles, he can't handle power and technical DTs on his own. If he has to reach, sometimes he will jump to get his reach block and the DT can get in that open door and once they gain an advantage, he doesn't regroup well. If he loses leverage early, guys will walk him back and even sit him down. And, it isn't in just pass pro. If a guy shoots the gap, he can't regain control. They will ride him into run plays. There were a lot of plays where his man drove him into the backfield and blew up the run, causing the back to have to cut it into pursuit. That is at both center and guard. They tried him at LG last year after signing Cole and Daniels for center and RG. He battled Dotson and lost. We traded Dotson for a flip of 5ths (2024) and a flip of 6ths (2025). Green couldn't beat him out. Dotson, honestly, is a better player. At center, Green's issues are even worse because he will spray snaps to the right of the QB. And, they are hot and about waist high. Seems to have gotten worse this off season, like he has the YIPS.

Maybe the Texans are more of a zone team and they can double and move to the second level, giving him some help. That helped some with the Steelers, but you can't protect everyone all the time. The NFL recognizes weaknesses and will do things to force you to play one-on-one, and that is where Green finds trouble. I've attached a video that shows how DL can get under him and walk him back. It happens more than you want.

To be a great OL in the NFL, you can't allow sacks, especially interior guys, and you can't get penalties. Furthermore, if you do anything well, it starts with holding your ground and Green really struggles to do that. I'm hoping your scheme and coaches can get him back on track. Humble guy. Hard worker. He is a guy you can root for, just doesn't seem to have found "it" yet and I'm not sure he will. For a 6th, those are fliers anyway. If he provides nothing but depth, he is worth a 6th. The Steelers front office just loaded up on the OL over the past two seasons. I mean, Broderick Jones, the 14th pick, probably won't see the field this year. The added Nate Herbig, a spot starter from the Jets and Isaac Seumalo, a starter from the Eagles, to Cole and Daniels signing last year. Three quality starters and a starter potential as a backup. Complete rebuild and Green wasn't in the plans.

EDIT: MUTE the sound. Guys is an idiot.
Good stuff. Thanks.

Overall I think I'm actually in the minority and am quite positive about this o-line. Even the banged up one we're going to put out there for week 1.

Reasons for optimism? I like all the pieces when healthy and I even like the pieces that are depth. Even when there's question marks on who the LG will even be.

The fact is so far the only injury that changes what we saw from last year to this year is Howard at RT and his sounds like it should be quite short term missing only the Baltimore game if that. I also think Jones might get the nod over Fant because tackle needs a lot less time to bed in than the interior of the line when you're switching schemes.

As for the injuries at C and LG I still think we'll be better than last year purely from the virtue of last year Scott Q and Green were so bad it's actually difficult to be the same or worse. I think the options of (Kendrick) Green, Deiter, and Pattersson will be better than last year's options and then by the time Scruggs is back that will also be a very solid upgrade if camp and preseason is anything to go by and then maybe we even get lucky and Green can find his Illinois form by playing in the proper scheme for him or Broeker turns out to be a gem.

Either way this is already a far better group than what we had last year with the potential to be miles better when healthy.

In the past, it's always looked relatively easy to get through our pass protection on a simple stunt, delayed blitz or someone coming free off an edge. Once again, there is a lack of continuity with our OL that could've help change that narrative. The OL injuries, a rookie QB, a new OC and scheme equals me being very nervous. Recognition of those instances and knowing how to react would be a pleasant surprise. I hope Chris Strausser and the OL are putting in work, because if I was a DC facing a rookie QB, blitzing and disguise would be the main course until the offense proves it can handle it. Here's to hoping they can protect the shiny new toy under center. :toast2:

Last edited:
Tytus Howard to IR will miss at least 4 games. Currently 3/5 of the projected starting Oline will miss at least the first 4 games. Went from a promising group to a disaster before a game was even played!
Is it actually a disaster though?

Only one of those 3 is a starter we actually know is reliable and that's Tytus. So that's a legitimate miss.

The other 2 were complete maybes. In fact whoever ends up winning the LG job might end up doing better than Kenyon Green would have anyway. In fact I'd be willing to bet they do.

Furthermore as much as I've liked Juice Scruggs he's a rookie and is going to be replaced by rookie Pattersson who didn't do anything in preseason that gave any cause for alarm. That's somewhat a same for same swap.

Overall I think both LG and C will be improvements from what we fielded last year with Ques and Green because it would genuinely be difficult to do worse.

Don't really see it as a disaster personally. Especially if we can transition Jones to RT instead of LG.

Is it actually a disaster though?

Only one of those 3 is a starter we actually know is reliable and that's Tytus. So that's a legitimate miss.

The other 2 were complete maybes. In fact whoever ends up winning the LG job might end up doing better than Kenyon Green would have anyway. In fact I'd be willing to bet they do.

Furthermore as much as I've liked Juice Scruggs he's a rookie and is going to be replaced by rookie Pattersson who didn't do anything in preseason that gave any cause for alarm. That's somewhat a same for same swap.

Overall I think both LG and C will be improvements from what we fielded last year with Ques and Green because it would genuinely be difficult to do worse.

Don't really see it as a disaster personally. Especially if we can transition Jones to RT instead of LG.
Seems very optimistic to me. I can get behind this when it comes to LG. Center they drafted Scruggs first and he was ahead in the depth chart for a reason. There's reason to believe that's a downgrade but of course you never know how it plays out. Howard is the biggest loss. He's a quality right tackle (if a bit overpaid) and we're replacing him with a guy who had a rough year last year. Obviously we'll have to see how it plays out but to me that's two positions where you probably downgraded.

I do agree that I expect whoever goes out at center and LG to be upgrades over last year so at least that's something.

Scruggs to IR will be out at least 4 weeks. Better than rushing him back and losing him for longer but that’s disappointing. I’d guess Deiter gets the guard start for a while and maybe Patterson at center? Pretty suspect but any NFL team with 3 injuries on their oline will be in a bad spot
Bums me out about Scruggs. Don’t know why but he’s become my favorite draft choice. my yard work shirts are old t-shirts with the sleeves cut off. On one I wrote “Scruggs” on the back which I think is a real tribute to his style…and mine.

Overall I think I'm actually in the minority and am quite positive about this o-line. Even the banged up one we're going to put out there for week 1.

Reasons for optimism? I like all the pieces when healthy and I even like the pieces that are depth. Even when there's question marks on who the LG will even be.

The fact is so far the only injury that changes what we saw from last year to this year is Howard at RT and his sounds like it should be quite short term missing only the Baltimore game if that. I also think Jones might get the nod over Fant because tackle needs a lot less time to bed in than the interior of the line when you're switching schemes.

As for the injuries at C and LG I still think we'll be better than last year purely from the virtue of last year Scott Q and Green were so bad it's actually difficult to be the same or worse. I think the options of (Kendrick) Green, Deiter, and Pattersson will be better than last year's options and then by the time Scruggs is back that will also be a very solid upgrade if camp and preseason is anything to go by and then maybe we even get lucky and Green can find his Illinois form by playing in the proper scheme for him or Broeker turns out to be a gem.

Either way this is already a far better group than what we had last year with the potential to be miles better when healthy.
I wish I can be as optimistic.

I don't play football.
Some of the good folks on the forum remind me of that sometimes, here and there.

So the following question is very innocent:
Have you ever played football, and specifically on the Oline?

Don’t forget Dieter guys. With Howard moving to short term IR, that would open the door to add Deiter to the active roster. I could see him being in the mix at C or LG.
They need to add a punter to the roster first. I'd expect the practice squad punter to be activated first.

I think I would prefer Deiter at LG and Patterson at center. Deiter did start at center last season but 15/16 games at left guard year before.
I am very supportive of Patterson who should do well at any of the 3 inner spots.
On the face of it I agree, but it's possible that Deiter at C and Pattersson at LG presents the smoothest transition for when Scruggs returns as you don't need to juggle the line at all you simply just replace Deiter with Scruggs and put Deiter back on the PS.

On the face of it I agree, but it's possible that Deiter at C and Pattersson at LG presents the smoothest transition for when Scruggs returns as you don't need to juggle the line at all you simply just replace Deiter with Scruggs and put Deiter back on the PS.
I enjoy the discussion and get your point yet we expect Tytus Howard back same time as Scruggs so Jones could move to LG.
I would not be shocked to see the rookies playing behind the vets game 5. I'm strongly in support of both Patterson and Scruggs but if Deiter and Howard and Jones can handle the IOL, great.

It would be good to have options.

LT Tunsil
LG Jones
C Patterson
RG Mason
RT Fant

Lets see what they got the first four weeks! Then hopefully get Howard back at RT. Depending on Patterson’s performance maybe he forces a competition with Scruggs for the center job?
Fant terrifies me in pass protection. Let's hope for a solid run game and that he can hold it down in pass protection until Howard returns.

I enjoy the discussion and get your point yet we expect Tytus Howard back same time as Scruggs so Jones could move to LG.
I would not be shocked to see the rookies playing behind the vets game 5. I'm strongly in support of both Patterson and Scruggs but if Deiter and Howard and Jones can handle the IOL, great.

It would be good to have options.
I'm worried about Jones at LG as it seemed like his by far weakest position compared to him playing T.

I think as far as rookies are concerned Scruggs probably has his spot somewhat locked down, injury pending of course, but otherwise it's likely the vets as you say.

Back