Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Texans Offensive Line

Last week, Patterson came in and played C for Scruggs. Green was NOT at LG last game. Kenyon Green went to IR and Kendrick Green, who'd just been acquired, didn't play. Our LG was Josh Jones.

If Tunsil is out, the rumor is that they're moving Josh Jones out to LT and leaving Fant at RT.

When Fant went out last week, they played around with Dieter and Jones. They initially had Dieter at RT for some reason that could only have been a mistake. That one play ended up in Stroud getting strip sacked. They immediately swapped those guys out, putting Dieter at LG and Jones at RT.

But, to the best of my knowledge, Dieter is back on the practice squad and has not been called up. Instead, they called up Deculus who is probably our backup T for this game, and he could easily get playing time because Fant was injured with a stinger last week.

According to the depth chart, the next LG up is Patterson. Kendrick Green is not listed at LG at this point from what I can see, and he was seen practicing at C last week. He's got more experience than Patterson and might be better at calling the line shifts.

And that's why I shifted Patterson out to LG and stuck Kendrick Green in at C. With that said, I would not be surprised if the depth chart is misleading and they kept Patterson at C and put Kendrick at LG. I would also not be surprised to see them call up Dieter to play LG, but I haven't seen that reported, yet.

Jones - (Patterson/Green/Dieter) - (Patterson/Green) - Mason - Fant

I hope that makes sense.
Reported in the Transaction thread, Deiter has been signed and Rivers released.

Last week, Patterson came in and played C for Scruggs. Green was NOT at LG last game. Kenyon Green went to IR and Kendrick Green, who'd just been acquired, didn't play. Our LG was Josh Jones.

If Tunsil is out, the rumor is that they're moving Josh Jones out to LT and leaving Fant at RT.

When Fant went out last week, they played around with Dieter and Jones. They initially had Dieter at RT for some reason that could only have been a mistake. That one play ended up in Stroud getting strip sacked. They immediately swapped those guys out, putting Dieter at LG and Jones at RT.

But, to the best of my knowledge, Dieter is back on the practice squad and has not been called up. Instead, they called up Deculus who is probably our backup T for this game, and he could easily get playing time because Fant was injured with a stinger last week.

According to the depth chart, the next LG up is Patterson. Kendrick Green is not listed at LG at this point from what I can see, and he was seen practicing at C last week. He's got more experience than Patterson and might be better at calling the line shifts.

And that's why I shifted Patterson out to LG and stuck Kendrick Green in at C. With that said, I would not be surprised if the depth chart is misleading and they kept Patterson at C and put Kendrick at LG. I would also not be surprised to see them call up Dieter to play LG, but I haven't seen that reported, yet.

Jones - (Patterson/Green/Dieter) - (Patterson/Green) - Mason - Fant

I hope that makes sense.
They put Dieter on the 53 and elevated Deculus, so both will be available against Indy

I can’t remember a time in team history the OL has been this banged up.

Such high expectations for this unit coming into the season but they just aren’t healthy and available to play.

Josh Jones might be playing his 3rd position on the OL within a month of joining the team! Only Mason has remained healthy and he is new to the team this season as well. All five projected starters today will be their first season with the team. Most within a month of joining. Wow.

Dang. I had a similar issue to yours but I only had the problem on my phone. Maybe I deleted and reinstalled whatever app I was using to view it with.
I can see it fine if I log out but it's gone when I log back in

They did revamp the OL… and now they are all hurt (minus Mason).
Let me rephrase that. They should of rebuilt the OL before drafting a QB. I’ll say it again, both starting tackles are soft. Your starting left guard was a complete failure. Your C was a low level jag at best. This is David Carr all over again. It’s too early to have this discussion with all these injuries I should step back and wait until we’re healthy and underperforming.

PS I really like Stroud my argument has nothing to do with him.

Let me rephrase that. They should of rebuilt the OL before drafting a QB. I’ll say it again, both starting tackles are soft. Your starting left guard was a complete failure. Your C was a low level jag at best. This is David Carr all over again. It’s too early to have this discussion with all these injuries I should step back and wait until we’re healthy and underperforming.

PS I really like Stroud my argument has nothing to do with him.
Tunsil multiple year probowler that's excellent in pass pro which is exactly what we need, Green is failure but Patterson a late rounder could be future + he is good center. Unsure about Mason and Howard did good last year. Jones should be good swing and can be a starter at guard. They need to remain healthy and get some time together. What we see today are backups except for Mason.

Tunsil multiple year probowler that's excellent in pass pro which is exactly what we need, Green is failure but Patterson a late rounder could be future + he is good center. Unsure about Mason and Howard did good last year. Jones should be good swing and can be a starter at guard. They need to remain healthy and get some time together. What we see today are backups except for Mason.

We we’re supposed to be a run dominant team. I’m sorry but did you watch Tunsils run blocking the last couple of years? SOFT! Same goes for Howard. SOFT! I liked Patterson hasn’t proven anything yet. Not saying he won’t be good but you’re projecting. Sorry I like my OL guys to be nasty not soft. Currently the only OL that fits that description is Mason but he’s looked like crap as well. Again we will see what we really have when the starters are back. That is if their soft asses can stay on the field.

They spent a lot of money on that line this off season and drafted a few. Injuries happen all across the board on every team. Unfortunately it hit us at the start of the season.
Exactly. Let’s examine that. Nick signed two players to big money from arguably the worst OLs of the last two or three years. He drafted an OG with a top 15 pick last year that was horrible all year. Instead of accepting he just wasn’t good he replaced the better (but not good) OG with a veteran who’s been absolutely horrible this year, so far. In a draft loaded with good Centers he traded into the second round, sending the 65, 188 and 230 overall picks for a guy who just a couple of years ago had major back surgery. Obviously he learned nothing from the Singltary pick. Then he traded a six round pick for the other Green who was horrible in Pittsburg. There’s spending a lot of money and draft capital smartly and then there’s what Nick has done the last couple of years. You’re right, injuries happen and we’re decimated by them right now. We will see eventually, hopefully, what we have but man these sure don’t look like good moves right now.

Exactly. Let’s examine that. Nick signed two players to big money from arguably the worst OLs of the last two or three years. He drafted an OG with a top 15 pick last year that was horrible all year. Instead of accepting he just wasn’t good he replaced the better (but not good) OG with a veteran who’s been absolutely horrible this year, so far. In a draft loaded with good Centers he traded into the second round, sending the 65, 188 and 230 overall picks for a guy who just a couple of years ago had major back surgery. Obviously he learned nothing from the Singltary pick. Then he traded a six round pick for the other Green who was horrible in Pittsburg. There’s spending a lot of money and draft capital smartly and then there’s what Nick has done the last couple of years. You’re right, injuries happen and we’re decimated by them right now. We will see eventually, hopefully, what we have but man these sure don’t look like good moves right now.
Alright well to start your first point is terrible, Tunsil is probably the best pass protecting LT in the league and Howard is a good player (overpaid IMO however) it’s not their fault the guy next to them played badly.

Agree with your point regarding AJ Cann, he was fine last year would have much preferred to keep him as depth at least through preseason rather than keeping Kirksey.

Shaq Mason had a terrible first game and a meh second game haven’t seen near enough to evaluate this move.

And on the Kendrick Green 6th round pick thing I don’t really see the issue. Yeah the guy was bad in Pitt but it’s a 2025 6th rounder. 6th’s are for taking flyers on guys and who knows maybe he can get a fresh start and fix himself here. This move hasn’t played out yet and we’ll see if a new coaching staff and change of scenery can revive his career

One thing that just came to mind was how much better the Colts o-line played after a year where they were terrible and pretty banged up.

Now we're the team that has a banged up o-line not playing that well.

The common theme? Chris Strausser.

I almost have to wonder what they're doing in practice and what his training methods are to have an injury bug like that follow you around.

Got curious about our OL and got the PFF grades. Surprising for me, they have Fant graded as our best lineman with a grade of 70.8, ranked 22nd for Tackles.

Josh Jones had the worst grade among our linemen with a grade of 45.8, 66th among Tackles.

Patterson ranked 26th at Center with a grade of 53.8.

Mason was 27th at Guards with a grade of 62.0.

Tunsil didn't grade out very well - 45th among Tackles with a grade of 63.1.

And then they had a grade on Kendrick Green. I wasn't aware he had any snaps, but they had him 49th among Guards with a score of 52.7.

Scheeze. All bottom of the barrel.

Got curious about our OL and got the PFF grades. Surprising for me, they have Fant graded as our best lineman with a grade of 70.8, ranked 22nd for Tackles.

Josh Jones had the worst grade among our linemen with a grade of 45.8, 66th among Tackles.

Patterson ranked 26th at Center with a grade of 53.8.

Mason was 27th at Guards with a grade of 62.0.

Tunsil didn't grade out very well - 45th among Tackles with a grade of 63.1.

And then they had a grade on Kendrick Green. I wasn't aware he had any snaps, but they had him 49th among Guards with a score of 52.7.

Scheeze. All bottom of the barrel.
Green played 100% of the snaps against the Colts.
He started at LG, with Patterson at C.
I assumed that were where they stayed for the entire games.
I'm on my first pass looking at the Oline right now (just finishing the first half, watching the left side for an overall glimpse, not zeroing on any guy in particular).

Snap counts from here (but they had the positions in reverse).

How does coming off IR work? Are players allowed a number of practices ( can't play ) before being activated and roster moves are made?

There is a good discussion of the OL over on the Week 3 Preview thread. Moderators, how about moving that discussion here where it belongs.

What a disaster. You couldn't have made this up. The Steelers have 2 of the best 3 edge rushers on the schedule. Ridiculous.

The Oline looks like the QB disaster of 2011(?).

I would hate to see Stroud get injured in a game and not be able to finish the season. Reminds me of Watson’s rookie year (not debating when he got hurt - game vs practice).

Demeco may want to put in a tackling dummy I mean Mills if Stroud’s health is at risk.

Just saying.

Fant - Green2 - Patterson - Mason - Deculus

???

Is it Halloween, yet? Because that's some Freddy Krueger nightmare level isht right there.
If Watt is playing strong side, I'd leave Fant at RT. Deculus at LT. Put Beck on the left side to help out.
edit: Watt on strong side not weak.

Last edited:
Broeker - Green2 - Patterson - Mason - Fant

At this point, I’d probably play Broeker over Deculus, if for no other reason, to keep continuity on the right side of Patterson.
I like it. Also, Fant has been surprisingly good at RT. I'd love to be able to keep him and Mason together over there.
Has Broeker taken any snaps at LT since being signed? The roster has him listed only at Guard.

Him being signed to the practice squad is scary enough. They more than likely will call up either him or Deculus to the active roster by Saturday
2021 he played for Texans. 588 snaps, 357 passing snaps. Had an outstanding pass blocking grade of 78.8. Piss poor run blocking grade of 39.6.

Call him up for Pittsburg and let him protect CJ.

All my life I thought you should start building a team through the o-line. Reason is they take a while to develop and they can last in the league longer than a lot of players due to lower injury rate compared to other positions. Obviously I need to re-evaluate my theory,

I expect this to be the rotation.

This has to be a record for most OL injuries. Just ridiculous at this point.
Deculus hasn't been brought up from the PS.

The Texans have also signed Geron Christian to the PS who played LT for Texans in 2021. Playing in 14 games, starting 8, he had an excellant pass blocking grade of 78.8. With his long arms, he seems very good in pass blocking. Christian is the one I 'd like to see brought up and started at LT.

Deculus hasn't been brought up from the PS.

The Texans have also signed Geron Christian to the PS who played LT for Texans in 2021. Playing in 14 games, starting 8, he had an excellant pass blocking grade of 78.8. With his long arms, he seems very good in pass blocking. Christian is the one I 'd like to see brought up and started at LT.

Christian is the better player but not sure how well he’ll know the playbook by then.

Back