Thanks for your support!

Texans Offensive Line

I'm really good with the projected starting OL this season:

LT- Tunsil
LG- Green
OC- Scruggs
RG- Mason
RT- Howard

The key this season will be the OL depth. This may become the best OL depth the Texans have ever had.

OT/OG- Little (RD2-037 / Panthers) Ole Miss / Replaced Tunsil at Ole Miss after he was drafted. / Could be a benefit having him play behind Tunsil again. Injuries and C-19 may have been a big factor in him under-performing. If Texans somehow find the Ole Miss Little....it could be a plus.
OG/OC- Patterson (RD6-201 / Texans) Notre Dame / Came off a Fighting Irish career where he never conceded a QB sack from C or LT. He could push Scruggs for the starting job, but he's currently being penciled in at LG. He could push Green as well for a starting job.
OG/OC- Deiter (RD3-078 / Dolphins) Wisconsin / Started 15/16 games as C with the Dolphins in 2019. Injuries seemed to have derailed his NFL career from the 2020 season on. If he's healthy and returns to his Wisconsin play....could be another solid addition to the depth chart. I hope he gets an opportunity to win a starting job at C or G.
OT/OG- Heck or Deculus are my guess for filling the 9th OL spot on the roster.

The OL that would be competing for the PS:

OT- Zierer
OT- Deatherage
OG- Beach

The two cuts:
OC- Quessenberry
OC- Morrissey
To clarify, Patterson played OC until senior season then LG not LT IIRC.

Howard broke his hand apparently, obviously a big blow as long as he’s out. @CloakNNNdagger any idea what a return timetable looks on something like that?
The most common OL and DL hand fracture is a metacarpal fracture. It is probable that he can see the field in ~3 weeks. Some could push it before then wearing a "club." This being preseason, don't be surprised if you don't see him until the season begins.

EDIT If he plays with a "club," he will not be fully effective.

Last edited:
The most common OL and DL hand fracture is a metacarpal fracture. It is probable that he can see the field in ~3 weeks. Some could push it before then wearing a "club." This being preseason, don't be surprised if you don't see him until the season begins.

EDIT If he plays with a "club," he will not be fully effective.
Not sure if you saw that news that he actually had surgery on it today but does that affect the outlook moving forward?

Our depth at OL is worrisome. I’d keep an eye out on waivers to see if we can improve it after cuts.

No Tytus, no Heck and the rookie Patterson has been out as well. Mason and Tunsil given the night off tonight. I’d say any team down three starters plus two key backups would have “depth issues”.

Of the OL tonight, i’d be concerned that Deiter didn’t look better since he’s the top interior OL reserve. Deculus is not expected to make the team and only played with the starters because he’s the only OT left who actually has a working knowledge of the playbook.

I’d like to see Patterson and Heck get back on the field in training camp to see what they can add.

Our serious weakness is the OL and hopefully by game one we will have found an improvement. Our QB's will need to speed up their looks and reads or we will be run heavy.

If we plan on playing this season with Deiter and Deculus starting and a swing tackle playing instead of Tunsil, then yeah, serious weakness. I’ve got a weird feeling that’s not the plan though.

If we plan on playing this season with Deiter and Deculus starting and a swing tackle playing instead of Tunsil, then yeah, serious weakness. I’ve got a weird feeling that’s not the plan though.
Runsuland Howard, with Fant as the swing OT is very solid. I'm more worried about the IOL depth than anything else. After Green and Mason there's not much there

Runsuland Howard, with Fant as the swing OT is very solid. I'm more worried about the IOL depth than anything else. After Green and Mason there's not much there
Honestly I’d be looking at the waiver wire to see if we could swipe someone that got cut, but that’s a few weeks away.

Our serious weakness is the OL and hopefully by game one we will have found an improvement. Our QB's will need to speed up their looks and reads or we will be run heavy.
Well the reserves are the problem. They didn’t play the starters. Hopefully next week we’ll see the starters in action.

Common theme in training camp is offensive line struggles. If that continues into the regular season that will be very frustrating, we've invested so much into it and still can't get things going. Heard most of the pressure came from Fant (filling in for Howard) and some from Green. Guess we'll see how it plays out but not encouraging so far

So we have a makeshift cobbled together O-line. What else is new?
I wouldn’t say that just doesn’t seem like the group we built is paying off. Howard is injured but everyone else out there is who we wanted out there just not performing

I wouldn’t say that just doesn’t seem like the group we built is paying off. Howard is injured but everyone else out there is who we wanted out there just not performing

The Dolphins have a very good front 4. This is a true test. This should get them ready for the Ravens. I'm curious to see how they do against the Saints front 4 compared to the Dolphins front 4.

I haven't heard who's not doing well. By most reports Tunsil, Green, Scruggs and Mason have held their own.It takes time for a new ol to get chemistry.

The Dolphins have a very good front 4. This is a true test. This should get them ready for the Ravens. I'm curious to see how they do against the Saints front 4 compared to the Dolphins front 4.

I haven't heard who's not doing well. By most reports Tunsil, Green, Scruggs and Mason have held their own.It takes time for a new ol to get chemistry.
Im sure things will get better on the right side when Tytus returns from his hand injury...especially considering that he's considered one of the top RT's....so that should help.

I'm sure the Texans O-line will be improved this year over last with the new coaches and player additions. The whole team should improve. How much improvement is what we can argue over. Can't wait for Saturday.

This line may be somewhat overpaid and over drafted. But it is not the pile of crap you're expecting. Pierce will get his.
We will see. And yes but at what price? That’s what I’m worried about. If this team gets to six wins it will be because our defense is playing lights out and Stroud is exceeding expectations. Well, mine anyway.

I’ve watched this about 10x and it’s just gross. Our OGs were complete trash. I’m sure I’ll take a lot of heat for this- For all the hate he gets here Quisinberry was by far the best run blocker. He actually fits this scheme well. He’s mobile and gets to the second level and gets his man regularly. Now he’s gone for the year. Howard is just so unimpressive In the run game. Has the opposite of a mean streak. way to passive for my taste. Im no scheme expert and they did extend him so hopefully I’m wrong.

sorry I’m cluttering up RB thread with OL talk. Got side tracked.

Somehow the fact that those we chose are not working out Is not very satisfying.

R
We will see. And yes but at what price? That’s what I’m worried about. If this team gets to six wins it will be because our defense is playing lights out and Stroud is exceeding expectations. Well, mine anyway.

I’ve watched this about 10x and it’s just gross. Our OGs were complete trash. I’m sure I’ll take a lot of heat for this- For all the hate he gets here Quisinberry was by far the best run blocker. He actually fits this scheme well. He’s mobile and gets to the second level and gets his man regularly. Now he’s gone for the year. Howard is just so unimpressive In the run game. Has the opposite of a mean streak. way to passive for my taste. Im no scheme expert and they did extend him so hopefully I’m wrong.

RBs make or break with their oline so cross discussion is good IMO. Q allowed 7 sacks so.. I don’t care how good he was run blocking; continue that and we will need to add couple more QBs to 4 we have.

Tunsil is known as finesse blocker and mean streak never mentioned. In that respect so was Duane Brown. IIRC, a guy named Bruce Matthews did pretty well for a season or two.

Sure, Green was pretty bad last year, but
Scott Q was graded worst in both pass pro and in the run by PFF at the Center position.

Q allowed 7 sacks so..
This is where PFF & Reality just don't jive. Now I don't chart plays like some folk do, but I was focused on Q since preseason 2022. I entered the 2022 season hoping that Morrisey would win the starting C position, but since the first preseason game I felt Q out performed him & Britt & thought Q should be the starting Center.

NFL doesn't work like that, I get it. Britt was the Starter, fine. But when Britt made a career decision, it made sense to me that Q would be the starter, & he was. I still liked Morrisey, but I thought Q was a lot better.

So I watched Q all season long & I didn't see 7 sacks given up. I don't think the Texans did either.

I like Scruggs. I've only seen him play one NFL game & I think he's got what it takes. Is he ready, I don't know. I hope he is, I'm sure the coaches know either way & we'll see in the upcoming games.

Tunsil is known as finesse blocker and mean streak never mentioned. In that respect so was Duane Brown.
WHAT??

I used to have a DB video owning James Harrison... can't find it now, but no, Duane Brown wasn't finesse.

Back