Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans Offensive Line

Training camp is about to start.

I'm wondering if you were a new OC with a new OL, what kind of things would you be doing to make sure your OL can run block & pass protect?

Everything is half speed, contact is limited. What can you do to be reasonably confident they will perform "as they should"

I'm wondering if you were a new OC with a new OL, what kind of things would you be doing to make sure your OL can run block & pass protect?

Everything is half speed, contact is limited. What can you do to be reasonably confident they will perform "as they should"
Joint practices will be huge as will the pre season games. You have to trust your coaches

LT Tunsil
LG Green
C Scruggs
RG Mason
RT Howard

This is the Texans starting OL for the next three years (barring injury of course). Stability… I like it!

One stud (Tunsil), two rock solid starters (Mason/Howard) and two young OL with potential (Green/Scruggs). It’s good to only have to worry about if two OL will become solid starters instead of five for the next three years. I love that they are prioritizing the trenches in the new era of Houston Texans football!

LT Tunsil
LG Green
C Scruggs
RG Mason
RT Howard

This is the Texans starting OL for the next three years (barring injury of course). Stability… I like it!

One stud (Tunsil), two rock solid starters (Mason/Howard) and two young OL with potential (Green/Scruggs). It’s good to only have to worry about if two OL will become solid starters instead of five for the next three years. I love that they are prioritizing the trenches in the new era of Houston Texans football!
It’d be awesome if the Texans OL can make it through the season with a single lineup. Even if only “mostly” intact.

But two seasons? Now you’re cooking with gas.

I'm really good with the projected starting OL this season:

LT- Tunsil
LG- Green
OC- Scruggs
RG- Mason
RT- Howard

The key this season will be the OL depth. This may become the best OL depth the Texans have ever had.

OT/OG- Little (RD2-037 / Panthers) Ole Miss / Replaced Tunsil at Ole Miss after he was drafted. / Could be a benefit having him play behind Tunsil again. Injuries and C-19 may have been a big factor in him under-performing. If Texans somehow find the Ole Miss Little....it could be a plus.
OG/OC- Patterson (RD6-201 / Texans) Notre Dame / Came off a Fighting Irish career where he never conceded a QB sack from C or LT. He could push Scruggs for the starting job, but he's currently being penciled in at LG. He could push Green as well for a starting job.
OG/OC- Deiter (RD3-078 / Dolphins) Wisconsin / Started 15/16 games as C with the Dolphins in 2019. Injuries seemed to have derailed his NFL career from the 2020 season on. If he's healthy and returns to his Wisconsin play....could be another solid addition to the depth chart. I hope he gets an opportunity to win a starting job at C or G.
OT/OG- Heck or Deculus are my guess for filling the 9th OL spot on the roster.

The OL that would be competing for the PS:

OT- Zierer
OT- Deatherage
OG- Beach

The two cuts:
OC- Quessenberry
OC- Morrissey

Last edited:
I've heard camp has been tough on Green so far which is obviously not a good sign after his terrible rookie year. So what do we do here if Green can't get it together say 4-5 weeks into the season. Do y'all think we just keep hoping he can get it together through the season and re-evaluate next offseason or is there any shuffling we can do. Can anyone who knows more about oline play than me speak up on whether or not someone like Scruggs or Patterson can slide to guard and give them a shot there?

Green wasn't even the best OLineman on the board when he was taken, and he's had problems since. At one point in time he was a good Olineman in college, it just hasn't translated to the NFL level yet. Hopefully it does soon or it'll end up another hole having to get plugged.

I've heard camp has been tough on Green so far which is obviously not a good sign after his terrible rookie year. So what do we do here if Green can't get it together say 4-5 weeks into the season. Do y'all think we just keep hoping he can get it together through the season and re-evaluate next offseason or is there any shuffling we can do. Can anyone who knows more about oline play than me speak up on whether or not someone like Scruggs or Patterson can slide to guard and give them a shot there?
I think that was why Deiter has been taking reps at OG rather than at C.

I certainly have no real expertise about OLine play but I doubt that Demeco will screw around with Green that much if his second
season starts out without any meaningful improvement over his disappointing rookie year because Green is a product of the previous regime even though the current GM did indeed draft him, but Demeco's first priority will surely be in developing and protecting his "guy", QB CJ Stroud, which is largely predicated on competent OLine play.

Today's Houston Chronicle camp report has a report on Green. He's been taking the majority of first team snaps and appears healthy. Reported he had a couple of costly offsides today. Yesterday was worked over by veteran Maliek Collins.

Deiter has taken snaps at Guard, as has Scruggs. It's been suggested that Mason could move over to the left side, as well.

I've heard camp has been tough on Green so far which is obviously not a good sign after his terrible rookie year. So what do we do here if Green can't get it together
I don't know about we, but I'm going to make another drink. If it gets bad enough I'm going to get out of my comfyChair & sit on the far end of the sofa. Hopefully, the defense is better than we're expecting & when I rewatch the games I can fastforward through the offensive series & just watch the defense hurt people.

As it pertains to Green, I didn't know much about him before he was drafted. I saw his college highlights and absolutely fell in love with him. His pass pro needed work ,but he just smashed guys in the run game. Just one felony after another.

I believe he had a shoulder injury last year ,and I hope that's the reason for the lackluster results we got. I still have hope, but he needs to rebound.

Like we have any input! :lol:

As powda stated, Green was injured most of last year. The first few games of last year before he got hurt Green was graded as one of the top OG in the NFL.

I'd expect, Howard to LG and Fant to RT? Just a guess.

I'd expect, Howard to LG and Fant to RT? Just a guess.
Howard is settling in at his natural position. I seriously doubt they'll set back his development by moving him to guard. The Chronicle reported that Green appears to be in good health. He now has to get himself back into playing shape. It's seemingly obvious he has a way to go, but if he remains healthy, he'll get there and likely will be starting.

I think they'd keep Howard at RT. Would be nice if we could hear about OG's other than Green or Mason. Pre-season will tell

I guess I consider Fant the 6th best guy and assume they'd mix him in? Probably I'm scarred from all the ridiculous position changes the previous coaching staffs made.

Does Fant have experience playing guard?

I think they'd keep Howard at RT. Would be nice if we could hear about OG's other than Green or Mason. Pre-season will tell
There's Deiter and Scruggs. Patterson, reportedly, is banged up, but has taken reps at OG. It seems they're giving Scruggs first shot at Center, but there's no one else listed on the roster at the Texans website. If there's really any concern about Green, they may need to sign someone.

I guess I consider Fant the 6th best guy and assume they'd mix him in? Probably I'm scarred from all the ridiculous position changes the previous coaching staffs made.

Does Fant have experience playing guard?
Fant will be the swing tackle if he makes the 53. Little may be the swing OG

edit: Or Patterson/Deculus

Fant will be the swing tackle if he makes the 53. Little may be the swing OG

edit: Or Patterson/Deculus
Little and Deculus are listed at Tackle on the Texans website. Looking at other players, if they've taken snaps at other positions, they would be listed as T/G. So, have there been any reports of their doing so? I did a shallow search and found no mention of either having played guard in the past.

Little and Deculus are listed at Tackle on the Texans website. Looking at other players, if they've taken snaps at other positions, they would be listed as T/G. So, have there been any reports of their doing so? I did a shallow search and found no mention of either having played guard in the past.
They don't have Howard listed as T/G either

It's kind of stacking up that we will be weak up the center of the O-line. Hurts the offence big time if we are.
It certainly can appear that way and this perceived weakness revolves around Green's ability to stay on the field and play at the level we hope and expect. But how many OL'men will the Texans carry on the 53? 8?

Tunsil, Green, Mason, Howard. Then let's pencil in Juice at Center.

Then we have Deiter as swing Guard/Center; and Little as swing Tackle. And then for our eighth, Patterson, who can play Center/Guard.

On PUP we have Heck.

Deculus goes to the PS.

Where, or if, Fant figures in I'm not certain.

But pretty much as anticipated all along; no surprises. Very likely our weakest position group, but an improvement over last year.

And it all depends on Green.

Last edited:
It certainly can appear that way and this perceived weakness revolves around Green's ability to stay on the field and play at the level we hope and expect. But how many OL'men will the Texans carry on the 53? 8?

Tunsil, Green, Mason, Howard. Then let's pencil in Juice at Center.

Then we have Deiter as swing Guard/Center; and Littleton as swing Tackle. And then for our eighth, Patterson, who can play Center/Guard.

On PUP we have Heck.

Deculus goes to the PS.

Where, or if, Fant figures in I'm not certain.

But pretty much as anticipated all along; no surprises. Very likely our weakest position group, but an improvement over last year.

And it all depends on Green.
I think you mean Little not Littleton. Where does Morrissey fit in? I think Patterson goes to PS as of now. There are also a few rookies that we haven't heard much about, plus they signed Scaife to at least provide competition. If Green goes down I think Morrissey starts at C and Juice moves to LG, but it is all a guessing game as of now Hopefully the next month will provide some answers

I think you mean Little not Littleton. Where does Morrissey fit in? I think Patterson goes to PS as of now. There are also a few rookies that we haven't heard much about, plus they signed Scaife to at least provide competition. If Green goes down I think Morrissey starts at C and Juice moves to LG, but it is all a guessing game as of now Hopefully the next month will provide some answers
Yeh, Little. Morrissey...I hadn't forgotten about him...just don't know how he fits into the picture. I waffle on Patterson...if healthy, he can play guard as well as center. But from what I've read on TT, he may be falling behind, being banged up. Makes him a PS candidate. I agree, we need answers.

Agreed on the skill position talent needing to be upgraded.

I am leaning towards adding a veteran center (Pocic or Bradbury) and rolling with the OL as-is. Skill positions need to improve. If Metchie can not only make it back but live up to his trade up value that would be great. But I don’t see a bonafide WR1 in this draft. I see a lot of high end WR 2s.

My top option combining the WRs and TEs is actually Michael Mayer and I would take him at 12. But I am hoping they trade back from 12 for an extra day 2 pick. To me, Mayer could be George Kittle for this team and would be the top option in the passing game next season.

I like the TEs and RBs in this draft. But think the WRs are mostly similarly rated WR2 types at the top.
Sure do wish Caserio would've drafted a TE last draft.

So you've told us 50 times. He didn't, move on and give us something constructive to work with
I'm not the only poster to mention this, you're a little sensitive this morning, I guess I can have that effect on people. I just enjoy pointing out what Caserio did vs what he should've done.

I like the Vannett signing a lot, definitely an upgrade over Jordan/Quitoriano etc...

• Haha
Reactions: JB
I'm not the only poster to mention this, you're a little sensitive this morning, I guess I can have that effect on people. I just enjoy pointing out what Caserio did vs what he should've done.

I like the Vannett signing a lot, definitely an upgrade over Jordan/Quitoriano etc...
Well we cant deny that he has an eye for talent at the TE position....I could only hope he drafts the next gronk or even a. hernandez (without the straight criminal and thug issues) and given his track record on finding talent...I believe he'll draft it if he sees it.

I’m going to choose to stick my head in the sand regarding 610’s evaluation of Kenyon Green at practice. He played hurt last year and should’ve been shut down like Stingley and Pierce.

He played well and flashed prior to the Raiders game he got injured in. And I loved his college tape. He was a bully. Poor workouts at the combine made people question the pick. And his tape post injury reinforced the doubters. He just needs to get in shape and play to that level he showed in college.

I think the biggest problem with his selection and Stingley is they both had medical red flags I believe at the combine (Stingley lisfranc and Green knee) but the Texans did not draft them at a discount. They drafted them at the position healthy game tape dictated they be drafted and the value folks don’t like that the team didn’t trade down and acquire more picks prior to taking them or just go a different direction entirely.

Players suffer injuries, it's part of the game. However, when you draft players with known injury problems you're asking for problems from the start.

Yep, players that get injured in college tend to get injured as pro's. I'm not against drafting players with injury problems in rds 5-7. They're lotto tickets.

Where is Neal on that list?
I still would be very happy if Caserio had drafted Neal/Jordan Davis/Sam Williams/Salyer in that draft. the strength of that draft was in the OL/DL. Beerlover wanted Linderbaum really bad. Turns out, like usual he's looking like he's right again.

Just imagine an OL of Tunsil/Neal/Salyer/Mason/Howard.

A DL of Williams/Davis/Colins/Anderson with Rankins/Ridgeway/Greenard/Hughes in reserve.

That's rock solid stuff right there. IMHO

I still would be very happy if Caserio had drafted Neal/Jordan Davis/Sam Williams/Salyer in that draft. the strength of that draft was in the OL/DL. Beerlover wanted Linderbaum really bad. Turns out, like usual he's looking like he's right again.

Just imagine an OL of Tunsil/Neal/Salyer/Mason/Howard.

A DL of Williams/Davis/Colins/Anderson with Rankins/Ridgeway/Greenard/Hughes in reserve.

That's rock solid stuff right there. IMHO
Solid isn't what anyone is looking for at 3 for Neal. Sayler in the 5th rd was a steal, but Caserio thought otherwise. Linderbaum is on Ben Jones level

Solid isn't what anyone is looking for at 3 for Neal. Sayler in the 5th rd was a steal, but Caserio thought otherwise. Linderbaum is on Ben Jones level
I certainly would take the OL that I laid out. I think Neal has the potential to be a really good player. He can certainly improve over his rookie performance if he can stay healthy. You know my thoughts on Slayer. I had him as a top 50 guy.

Sure hope our rookie center does well. I read somewhere his injury history in college was significant and he contemplated continuing his football career. Hoping for the best. The player I’m really concerned with is Green, will be so disappointed if he doesn’t turn it around this season. Otherwise drafting a left guard in 2024 should be top priority. Looking forward to seeing our new QB in preseason!

Sure hope our rookie center does well. I read somewhere his injury history in college was significant and he contemplated continuing his football career. Hoping for the best. The player I’m really concerned with is Green, will be so disappointed if he doesn’t turn it around this season. Otherwise drafting a left guard in 2024 should be top priority. Looking forward to seeing our new QB in preseason!

The guy was in a car accident, broke vertebrae in his back, was in a brace for like 8 months, and had to re-learn to walk again. So. Yeah. He wasn't sure he'd ever play again. The fact that he was able to fight his way back and then play for 3 years (the final 2 as a starter) is a testament to the kid's intestinal fortitude.

Green? Yeah. He could be a problem.

Anyone know where Marlon Brando put that horse's head after cleaning the bed?

Back