Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans Offensive Line

Howard couldn't carry Steinkuhler's jock
Disagree
I don't understand your love of Steinkuhler... he never lived up to his hype
I just don't get the love for a guy like Howard, who you cant depend on and hasn't accomplished a thing in his four years down on Kirby.
By your reckoning, Steinkuhler wasn't dependable (only 3 of 7 full seasons) and never accomplished anything as a pro.

It was in in the 2PM, or 3PM hour, that going into the break, they agreed willingly that they were going to sort out, for us, the exact situation concerning tour offensive line situation. Wild horses could not have dragged me away ! When they returned and talked slowly and clearly, I mean, they could not have spoken more slowly, Clint and Hughly, have never spoken more slowly or clearly .... they said Nothing .... absolutely nothing ! I kept whistling and calling for the horses. They finally moseyed in to check - when I broke into "Send in the Clowns" !!!

So a radio program in their cut away said something to help insure their audience stayed through the commercial and were still listening when they came back on? Sounds like they did their jobs and got you hooked, did you really think they actually had insider information?

Then why not just come out and say Titus Howard is expected to play game 1? Why hasn't any to my knowledge Talking Heads specifically asked about him? They have asked some of the dumbest questions why not ask that one? RT guarding super sensation Stroud and McClain doesn’t say " what up with the big boy with the knee surgery that nobody has successfully returned from?"

Because the Texans don't leak like an old boat any more and if they press to hard they will be cut out entirely. Lets say for example Pancakes asked directly 'will Howard be back' to Caserio, Nick is just going to give the same neutral answer he already gave "Tytus is improving and working hard and we are taking it day by day. He's a valuable teammate and a hard worker and we are glad to have him with us." If they keep pressing Nick keeps gives a version of the same answer while smiling and mentally marking their name on the blackballed list. Interviews aren't get answers, interviews are to get an audience. Frankly. that's the way it should be handled because what fans don't know, other teams don't know.

No he didn't. He's paid like a top 5 rt not ot. You called Ben Jones avg and all he was is be a main cog on a top end Titans ol. Texans also let another tackle leave for Philly because of BOB

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Assuming you mean Brooks that one I can't blame on OB. The Texan doctors were telling him that there is nothing wrong with Brooks and that he shouldn't have any reason not to play. So you have an employee that the doctors are telling you is fine to play but the guy is saying he can't play and even when he is he doesn't seem to be working as hard as the rest of the team. Remove hindsight from it and put yourself in that moment, do you go with the team doctors basically saying the guy is just lazy or do you go with the player who is just telling you he doesn't feel good. Even if you go with the player what do you do? Go against the team doctors and seek an outside medical facility on the very off chance that the doctors the Texans are paying big money to got it wrong? This isn't some TV show where the brave, father figure of a coach stands up for his struggling player who is trying his best but everyone is against him this is real life and in real life if the company doctor says a worker is fine and has no medical reason not to do his job then that's what you go with. If, as in this case, the doctor gets it wrong then thats on the doctor and the company should deal with them for making such a crucial error.

Disagree
I don't understand your love of Steinkuhler... he never lived up to his hype

By your reckoning, Steinkuhler wasn't dependable (only 3 of 7 full seasons) and never accomplished anything as a pro.
I just used Steinkuhler as an example, I guess I should have used Winston. Although Winston never got paid like Howard's getting paid. Winston was clearly the more reliable and better player.

Only as a run blocker. His pass blocking was atrocious
He sure played in the NFL a long time to be atrocious at pass blocking. Was he great? Nope was he as bad as you're making him out to be? Nope, was he a better player than Howard, of course he was and he was a slightly above avg RT.

He sure played in the NFL a long time to be atrocious at pass blocking. Was he great? Nope was he as bad as you're making him out to be? Nope, was he a better player than Howard, of course he was and he was a slightly above avg RT.
Winston was a penalty magnet. Your welcome to your delusions and perhaps someone's memory sucks but I don't recall Winston getting much acclaim as an above average tackle. I do recall the board here wanting him replaced long before he was right at the top of Kubiack's best years

Winston was a penalty magnet. Your welcome to your delusions and perhaps someone's memory sucks but I don't recall Winston getting much acclaim as an above average tackle. I do recall the board here wanting him replaced long before he was right at the top of Kubiack's best years

Winston was an excellent RT! Brown at LT, Winston at RT, and Rashod Butler as the swing tackle- that was the peak of our offensive line performance in the past 20+ years.

That is not accurate. I listened to the interview. He was careful not to give specific medical updates. What he said regarding Howard:
1. He is a tough dude, who played through a lot last year before they had to remove him (it was a we3ird portion of the interview where he seemed hesitant/strange when he referenced the season-ending event (the rupture) that happened)
2. He said that he is doing all that he can to get ready
3. He said that Howard and Dell are both ahead of Dylan Horton in their expected return.

A person listening to interview could certainly come away with the impression that they are expecting Howard to be ready to go, but he never said that. My impression is that they are expecting him to meaningfully contribute this season.. BUT, he never said that either.

So a radio program in their cut away said something to help insure their audience stayed through the commercial and were still listening when they came back on? Sounds like they did their jobs and got you hooked, did you really think they actually had insider information?

Because the Texans don't leak like an old boat any more and if they press to hard they will be cut out entirely. Lets say for example Pancakes asked directly 'will Howard be back' to Caserio, Nick is just going to give the same neutral answer he already gave "Tytus is improving and working hard and we are taking it day by day. He's a valuable teammate and a hard worker and we are glad to have him with us." If they keep pressing Nick keeps gives a version of the same answer while smiling and mentally marking their name on the blackballed list. Interviews aren't get answers, interviews are to get an audience. Frankly. that's the way it should be handled because what fans don't know, other teams don't know.
Nope. I posted above and will again.. Ryans now saying Howard back by TC. I do agree that Nick is much less likely to communicate anything negative.

Nope. I posted above and will again.. Ryans now saying Howard back by TC. I do agree that Nick is much less likely to communicate anything negative.

Demeco's job is to inspire and support Howard to get himself ready to help the team. Nick's job is to make the hard decisions on personnel (in private consultation with Demeco) So, Demeco praising Howard's work ethic/etc.. doesn't tell me anything new. If they stand pat at OT in free agency and then don't grab an OT in round 2 or 3, then they are screaming that they expect Howard to be healthy and are counting on him.

Assuming you mean Brooks that one I can't blame on OB. The Texan doctors were telling him that there is nothing wrong with Brooks and that he shouldn't have any reason not to play. So you have an employee that the doctors are telling you is fine to play but the guy is saying he can't play and even when he is he doesn't seem to be working as hard as the rest of the team. Remove hindsight from it and put yourself in that moment, do you go with the team doctors basically saying the guy is just lazy or do you go with the player who is just telling you he doesn't feel good. Even if you go with the player what do you do? Go against the team doctors and seek an outside medical facility on the very off chance that the doctors the Texans are paying big money to got it wrong? This isn't some TV show where the brave, father figure of a coach stands up for his struggling player who is trying his best but everyone is against him this is real life and in real life if the company doctor says a worker is fine and has no medical reason not to do his job then that's what you go with. If, as in this case, the doctor gets it wrong then thats on the doctor and the company should deal with them for making such a crucial error.
Another player groomed for replacing a player that B'OB had trouble with.

I just used Steinkuhler as an example, I guess I should have used Winston. Although Winston never got paid like Howard's getting paid. Winston was clearly the more reliable and better player.
Winston was paid well as a rt and was very,very durable

Everybody makes mistakes. He was betting on Howard's upside, like many around here. Overall the teams is where I thought they would be when the rebuild began, so I'm happy and the arrow is pointing up.
From your seat on the comfy couch you can tell that Howard is just avg at RT. But Caserio can't. That doesn't sound like betting on upside, that sounds delusional.

- against far better defenses than last year,
don't think we'll be playing tougher defenses next year. We played some pretty tough defenses in 2023. Next year the problem is we'll be playing much better offenses.

Our defense is going to have a harder time keeping the points off the board & our offense is going to have a harder time keeping up.

I'm not saying the defenses will be worse than the 2023 opponents, just not better.

From your seat on the comfy couch you can tell that Howard is just avg at RT. But Caserio can't. That doesn't sound like betting on upside, that sounds delusional.
No I can see results from my comfy couch. Apparently you live in denial while sitting on your comfy couch and I would love nothing more than Howard to prove me wrong, however this is unlikely to happen.

Winston was paid well as a rt and was very,very durable

Not anywhere near what Howard is being paid.

I hope I'm wrong, but it looks to me like Howard is sunk cost. Hopefully Caserio will be able to get out from under this deal after next season without too much pain.

What do you recall that makes you think Howard's a better player? Howard can only hope to have the career Winston had.

Only as a run blocker. His pass blocking was atrocious
Winston was the better player.

I cant figure out why you're defending Howard, in the last 4 yrs he's accomplished very little on the field in the way of production. Or what you see in that's happened in the last 4 yrs and this includes playing OT, that makes you think he's going to improve his game, particularly coming off of the serious injury from last yr?

Maybe you're just an eternal optimist instead of an old curmudgeon

You realize back for training camp doesn't mean he can or will play right? That just means he is not so down that he can't attend contract mandatory training. You are really reading way to much into things and for some reason believe the Texans are going to give any straight answers months before even the pre-season games.

You realize back for training camp doesn't mean he can or will play right? That just means he is not so down that he can't attend contract mandatory training. You are really reading way to much into things and for some reason believe the Texans are going to give any straight answers months before even the pre-season games.
And again why aren't Talking Heads asking specific questions when they meet with Nick Caserio? If we on this board can see that right tackle might be a problem, why doesn't anyone else have that concern? why aren't they asking?

And again why aren't Talking Heads asking specific questions when they meet with Nick Caserio? If we on this board can see that right tackle might be a problem, why doesn't anyone else have that concern? why aren't they asking?

Because again if they ask to many questions that Texans don't want to answer then they lose the chance to ask any questions. I say again interviews aren't for getting answers, interviews are for getting an audience.

don't think we'll be playing tougher defenses next year. We played some pretty tough defenses in 2023. Next year the problem is we'll be playing much better offenses.

Our defense is going to have a harder time keeping the points off the board & our offense is going to have a harder time keeping up.

I'm not saying the defenses will be worse than the 2023 opponents, just not better.

You're right .... just a poorly thought out image came to mind. I feel like our offensive line is weak or injured so much of the time .... and our offensive side, is loaded with healthy young studs. If we run out a weak or hobbled line, those studs are not going to throttle back. They'll crank it up to take pressure off our line .... by the end of the season, these talented young studs will have begun to hobble along with the linemen. But If we were to shore up with young, powerful linemen, we could focus on building the defense. Nothing is ever guaranteed, but we've got the beginnings of a SuperBowl Contender .... we've such a good start, it seems like we oughta try .... if it were my team, I would !

Are we talking about Eric Winston? Man i loved that guy! He was solid! One of the better players that we have ever had on our offensive line.
He was great run blocking in the ZBS but his pass sets were atrocious. He never made a pro bowl, wasn't thought nearly as high nationwide as he was in Houston. It was Kubiak's offense that people loved so much

Apparently you live in denial while sitting on your comfy couch
I'm not in denial, I'm trying to see Nick as a competent GM, but if he's going to miss this bad... I'm just having a hard time seeing it.

Sometimes I wish I had an agenda. Then I could say some blatantly contradictory BS & defend it with "facts" pulled out of my backside.

He was great run blocking in the ZBS but his pass sets were atrocious. He never made a pro bowl, wasn't thought nearly as high nationwide as he was in Houston. It was Kubiak's offense that people loved so much
How long did he play in the NFL?

How long did he start in the NFL once he left Houston?

Atrocious?

I'm not in denial, I'm trying to see Nick as a competent GM, but if he's going to miss this bad... I'm just having a hard time seeing it.

Sometimes I wish I had an agenda. Then I could say some blatantly contradictory BS & defend it with "facts" pulled out of my backside.
Like I said he bet on Howard's upside and Howard got hurt again.

This is the only real miss since Caserio has been on Kirby. I guess when you didn't like the hire to begin with you look at things in a smaller light rather than seeing the bigger picture. In 3 years Caserio has built a contender, what more can you ask for? Nobody is perfect but Caserio is the best GM in Texans history, not that the bar has been set very high by past GM"s.

He definitely benefited from being in the perfect system to suit his talents. A premiere run blocker at the RT position. Lack of length hurt him against the pass. But i’ll take Winston over what the Texans had before or since.

Reactions: JB
1st, I guess I'll repeat my previous response, this doesn't sound like a bet, it sounds delusional.

2nd, if injury is the issue how are you saying his evaluation of Howard's play is wrong.

3rd, now you're saying Nick missed on Howard's level of play & his availability, yet you argue he is good at his job.
I guess when you didn't like the hire to begin with
I was one of the few that wanted Nick despite the New England connection & I was elated when Easterby took the jet to go get him.

This is the only real miss since Caserio has been on Kirby. I guess when you didn't like the hire to begin with you look at things in a smaller light rather than seeing the bigger picture. In 3 years Caserio has built a contender, what more can you ask for? Nobody is perfect but Caserio is the best GM in Texans history, not that the bar has been set very high by past GM"s.

Thing is when Howard is healthy he actually is a pretty good RT and he specializes in the pass block, before his extension he was coming off back to back 70 rating in the pass blocking, like Tunsil does which is exactly what this Texans team needs with CJ at QB. Key part of that is "when Howard is healthy" I agree that, in hindsight, Caserio made a mistake extending him 3 more years but its an understandable mistake to make because they did need to lock him to a longer contract and if you look around the league 3 years is becoming the normal contract length and players that aren't in prove it mode or hoping to win a SB now aren't really taking less. If Howard had walked then everyone here would be screaming for Nick's head with "How can you let the longest member and one of the most solid parts of the Oline walk?" If Howard doesn't get hurt then CJ is protected on both sides by consistently one of the best pass blocking due in the league. So you roll the dice, give him the best contract you can that won't hurt the team and you pray he stays healthy.

Thing is when Howard is healthy he actually is a pretty good RT and he specializes in the pass block, before his extension he was coming off back to back 70 rating in the pass blocking, like Tunsil does which is exactly what this Texans team needs with CJ at QB. Key part of that is "when Howard is healthy" I agree that, in hindsight, Caserio made a mistake extending him 3 more years but its an understandable mistake to make because they did need to lock him to a longer contract and if you look around the league 3 years is becoming the normal contract length and players that aren't in prove it mode or hoping to win a SB now aren't really taking less. If Howard had walked then everyone here would be screaming for Nick's head with "How can you let the longest member and one of the most solid parts of the Oline walk?" If Howard doesn't get hurt then CJ is protected on both sides by consistently one of the best pass blocking due in the league. So you roll the dice, give him the best contract you can that won't hurt the team and you pray he stays healthy.
For the record I said at the time to make Howard play out his 5th yr option. No way he should've gotten 18 mil a year with his history.

For the record I said at the time to make Howard play out his 5th yr option. No way he should've gotten 18 mil a year with his history.
If he would have stayed healthy and played like he did in 2022, no way you sign him for $18M. He didn't have a bad injury history going in

1st, I guess I'll repeat my previous response, this doesn't sound like a bet, it sounds delusional.

2nd, if injury is the issue how are you saying his evaluation of Howard's play is wrong.

3rd, now you're saying Nick missed on Howard's level of play & his availability, yet you argue he is good at his job.

I was one of the few that wanted Nick despite the New England connection & I was elated when Easterby took the jet to go get him.
I said at the time to make Howard play out his 5th yr option and that it was a bad decision to extend him.

You might have been ok with hiring Caserio,, but you've disagreed with just about everything he's done. I'm glad he didn't follow Texians and your way of wanting things done. It only took Caserio 3 yrs to cleanup the mess of a cap that was left for him by BOB and build this team to a point where they tied their best record EVER and will be contenders for the next five or so years. He drafted star level players at the most important positions QB,Edge,CB, Re-signed Tunsil.

Caserio did a great job building this team and did this under very adverse circumstances.

👍👍👍

If he would have stayed healthy and played like he did in 2022, no way you sign him for $18M. He didn't have a bad injury history going in
I wouldn't have re-signed him even if he didn't get hurt for that kind of money. Simply put he's ok when healthy, which he's not healthy most of the time. Certainly not worth 18 mil per year. That kind of money could get you a Star level player like Hunter.

Last edited:
It's not that his contract was extended, I agree that it is dollar amount of his contract.

Looking at 2022, which is the year which got him this contract, he was healthy. He played in all 17 games (only 7 snaps in week 16) for a total of 997 snaps. BUT....among all tackles, he was ranked 53/139. Just pass blocking, his forte, he ranked 56/133. Run blocking, 54/137.

So, he was just average.

His contract was the 4th highest among right tackles.

In 2022 he was paid $2.16M, so he was due a nice bump. I don't know, maybe something more like 3 years for $30M? So yeh, Nick missed on this. Not for extending him but for paying him too much.

Caserio did a great job building this team and did this under very adverse circumstances.
Some people can't criticize Nick for some moves, while praising him for others. It has to be all or nothing.

No one is perfect. And Caserio made a mistake on this one. He'll have the same decision on whether to extend Nico, based off one good season. I think he should. Can't be in fear of taking chances.

It's not that his contract was extended, I agree that it is dollar amount of his contract.

Looking at 2022, which is the year which got him this contract, he was healthy. He played in all 17 games (only 7 snaps in week 16) for a total of 997 snaps. BUT....among all tackles, he was ranked 53/139. Just pass blocking, his forte, he ranked 56/133. Run blocking, 54/137.

So, he was just average.

His contract was the 4th highest among right tackles.

In 2022 he was paid $2.16M, so he was due a nice bump. I don't know, maybe something more like 3 years for $30M? So yeh, Nick missed on this. Not for extending him but for paying him too much.

This has him ranked 30th among all NFL tackles right and left.

You guys don't seem to be looking around the NFL as a whole much. Even average tackles, and whether Howard is or not is another debate, are getting monster contracts. This is because this has become a QB league and so in addition to shelling out big money for the QB you have to shell out big money to protect them. If Caserio had waited there was absolutely no way he was getting Howard for 18 a year. Remember a player is only the highest paid at their position until the next player signs their contract.

This has him ranked 30th among all NFL tackles right and left.

You guys don't seem to be looking around the NFL as a whole much. Even average tackles, and whether Howard is or not is another debate, are getting monster contracts. This is because this has become a QB league and so in addition to shelling out big money for the QB you have to shell out big money to protect them. If Caserio had waited there was absolutely no way he was getting Howard for 18 a year. Remember a player is only the highest paid at their position until the next player signs their contract.
I knew my numbers were skewed a bit because I didn't take time to filter out for minimum number of snaps. Your number looks reasonable. I'd be curious to know 30th out of how many? I'd guess still middle of the pack.

If I wanted to spend the time, it would be interesting to see what some of the JAG RTs signed for recently.

I knew my numbers were skewed a bit because I didn't take time to filter out for minimum number of snaps. Your number looks reasonable. I'd be curious to know 30th out of how many? I'd guess still middle of the pack.

If I wanted to spend the time, it would be interesting to see what some of the JAG RTs signed for recently.

This might give you an idea.

Broncos gave Mike McGlinchey, who was right behind Howard on that list, a 5 year 87.5 million dollar deal which averages out to about 17.5 a year. Now they did some restructuring on his contract earlier this month because they were so badly over the cap but all that means is he will be about a 25 million dollar hit on the cap next year. McGlinchey is basically a run block specialist version of Howard. So yeah the price of any decent tackle has sky rocketed.

I said at the time to make Howard play out his 5th yr option and that it was a bad decision to extend him.
So your issue is about health & not quality of play? That changes everything. If you agree Howard is one of the best RTs when healthy, but you're disappointed with his availability your position makes sense & I have no gripe.

But if you're saying Nick overpaid for a guy who can't even stay healthy i don't see how you can say he's a good GM.

You might have been ok with hiring Caserio,, but you've disagreed with just about everything he's done.
Until recently, yes. Just about.
I'm glad he didn't follow Texians and your way of wanting things done.
:thinking:
It only took Caserio 3 yrs to cleanup the mess of a cap
Had he done like Texian & others suggested the $75MM he had to spend this year would have felt like $75MM. It'd be a lot more if he'd have started rolling that extra cap two years ago.

I see where your standards are & im sorry that you're ok with good enough.

Had he not drafted the QB you didn't want him to draft, things would look a lot different.
Some people can't criticize Nick for some moves, while praising him for others. It has to be all or nothing.
Don't put me in that bunch. I've been giving him kudos lately.

I'm not even criticizing Nick right now, I'm questioning an asinine position regarding a decision Nick made.

Why do you say this? He missed 3 games in 3 seasons prior to 2023

How many games did he play hurt in that he had poor performances. BTW, I dont blame Howard for this, this was on the Dr.'s and BOB./Culley/Lovie.

I'm going to take a break from the Howard talk for a couple of days, but I will leave you with this, Howard should be playing on his 5th yr option instead of the team being saddled with at least 36 mil in cap space gone for nothing. Obviously you think much more highly of Howard than I ever did from the day he was drafted. His career has been predictably avg. IMHO

You seem to think he's had a good career. I think for what he's given the team he's been overpaid since the day he signed his 1st contract and the overpay only got worse with his 2nd contract. Agree to disagree

This might give you an idea.

Broncos gave Mike McGlinchey, who was right behind Howard on that list, a 5 year 87.5 million dollar deal which averages out to about 17.5 a year. Now they did some restructuring on his contract earlier this month because they were so badly over the cap but all that means is he will be about a 25 million dollar hit on the cap next year. McGlinchey is basically a run block specialist version of Howard. So yeah the price of any decent tackle has sky rocketed.
This is why you invest 18 mil on difference makers and sign a guy like Fant plus draft a developmental guy. Blown opportunities are just that blown opportunities. Need a S then X. McKinney could've been had with that cap space as an example. Rankins could've still been a Texan.

So your issue is about health & not quality of play? That changes everything. If you agree Howard is one of the best RTs when healthy, but you're disappointed with his availability your position makes sense & I have no gripe.

But if you're saying Nick overpaid for a guy who can't even stay healthy i don't see how you can say he's a good GM.

Until recently, yes. Just about.

:thinking:

Had he done like Texian & others suggested the $75MM he had to spend this year would have felt like $75MM. It'd be a lot more if he'd have started rolling that extra cap two years ago.

I see where your standards are & im sorry that you're ok with good enough.

Had he not drafted the QB you didn't want him to draft, things would look a lot different.

Don't put me in that bunch. I've been giving him kudos lately.

I'm not even criticizing Nick right now, I'm questioning an asinine position regarding a decision Nick made.

I see I touched a nerve. Yes Caserio drafted a QB I didn't want, that's why he's the GM and I'm not. More to the point Hannah got lucky.

Good? they wouldn't be as good as they are now if they had traded a top 5 LT to save money. They have plenty of cap space and are well setup for not only this draft but the 2025 draft. Do you not think in 5 yrs the Texans have as good a chance as anybody to win a championship? Did you expect the Texans to win a championship last yr or not? If not, do you think they've upgraded the team where they needed to most? Adding Hunter (Who I called) opposite WA should give the Texans the best pass rush in the NFL. Everybody keeps talking fix the run game, guess what Al Shaair will really help with this. Run game wasn't good last yr, add Mixon and hope they aren't so unbelievably unlucky with OL injuries. They still are going to add one more major piece most likely.

I guess I dont expect the GM to get every decision right, even if I called it beforehand.

In short after all of that typing, what were/are your expectations?

Yes Caserio drafted a QB I didn't want, that's why he's the GM and I'm not.
I'm going to use that same reasoning concerning the RT he extended.
they wouldn't be as good as they are now if they had traded a top 5 LT to save money.
You got me mixed up with someone else. I didn't want that to happen, just didn't complain about the people posting it.
Do you not think in 5 yrs the Texans have as good a chance as anybody to win a championship?
Sound like a Cowboy fan.
Did you expect the Texans to win a championship last yr or not? If not, do you think they've upgraded the team where they needed to most? Adding Hunter (Who I called) opposite WA should give the Texans the best pass rush in the NFL. Everybody keeps talking fix the run game, guess what Al Shaair will really help with this.
I'll admit the Texans defense shocked me last year, with what DeMeco had to work with... shocked. Pleasantly surprised.
I guess I dont expect the GM to get every decision right, even if I called it beforehand.
Check out post 1096 to see how one decision snowballs into a bunch of bad circumstances.

Overall I'm satisfied with what Nick has done this offseason. But like you, I don't think he's perfect.

Back