Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans Offensive Line

When the CBA doesn't allow full pad practices, how do you "win" the starting position? But more to the point, Jones is proven at LT, not at RT. If resigned, we'll see if he can be an effective swing tackle.

The limitation of full pad practices may also be one reason Broeker has not been able to prove himself. He's another one who'll benefit from an off season with the Texans.
I think Scruggs & Paterson "proved" themselves through the same non padded practices.

I think Scruggs & Paterson "proved" themselves through the same non padded practices.
Scruggs had snaps in all 3 preseason games and in retrospect had won the starting position at Center. With our injuries he apparently had shown enough for the coaching staff to move him to LG.

Patterson, although briefly injured early in camp for a week or two, made it back to preseason practices to have snaps in preseason games 2 and 3.

Both Scruggs and Patterson had gone through OTAs and training camp.

How many padded practices did they have through OTAs & training camp?
Through OTAs and Minicamp, zero of course. Once training camp started, they had 20 practices scheduled. How many were full contact, you're free to research this. I'm not.

How many padded practices did they have through OTAs & training camp?
Maybe a little off topic, but they'll all have a full off-season to heal, revisit this seasons games to look at mistakes and tendencies and possible new plays to implement and a new crop of rookies and FA's to assimilate.
I know we are in the thick of a late season charge, but next season holds so much promise - and the current rookies will have a year under their belts and should take the next step up.

I don’t get the oline hate here. I wouldn’t change anything at all. Other than a possible business decision on Fant. He may have earned a starter level contract elsewhere. Good for him. My only concern is health, and that’s more about Lady Luck than anything else. It doesn’t seem possible to be this unlucky two years in a row. Give me reasonable health, and this oline will rock next year.

Get the team OT- Guyton (Oklahoma) in the draft and I’ll be far less worried about the Texans OT situation next season. They must prepare heir for either side of the line and this should be the guy to add some security to the position.

Our future left guard?
That link conveniently left out his run blocking grade - 47.8, the worst on the OL for that game.

Scruggs may have improved as his playing time progressed, I haven't looked into this, but for the season among OGs, he ranked #100 with a grade of 51.0.

Deiter ranked #38 among OCs with a grade of 57.9 and the position needs upgrading. In training camp Scruggs had won the starting position over Patterson and most likely it will be between these two this next year.

LG will most likely be between the two Greens. Patterson could be in the mix. With Kenyon Green's injury history, I'm thinking Kendrick Green may have the edge.

This year our OL ranked #19 in pass blocking and also ranked #19 in run blocking. If we can stay relatively healthy we should see improvement next year which should improve our run game.

Even with our below average blocking, our offense ranked #12 on the strength of Stroud's play. With an improved OL and an improved run game, we could have a top 10 offense next year.

That link conveniently left out his run blocking grade - 47.8, the worst on the OL for that game.

Scruggs may have improved as his playing time progressed, I haven't looked into this, but for the season among OGs, he ranked #100 with a grade of 51.0.

Deiter ranked #38 among OCs with a grade of 57.9 and the position needs upgrading. In training camp Scruggs had won the starting position over Patterson and most likely it will be between these two this next year.

LG will most likely be between the two Greens. Patterson could be in the mix. With Kenyon Green's injury history, I'm thinking Kendrick Green may have the edge.

This year our OL ranked #19 in pass blocking and also ranked #19 in run blocking. If we can stay relatively healthy we should see improvement next year which should improve our run game.

Even with our below average blocking, our offense ranked #12 on Stroud's play. With an improved OL and an improved run game, we could have a top 10 offense next year.

I really want Kenyon Green to work out. Not because he was a 1st round pick. That’s a sunk cost.

But because he showed the ability to be a nasty mauler in the run game when he was in college. The team needs that.

Do guards and Centers ever grade high as rookies? , seems most don’t hit their stride till year 4. I ain’t looking at spreadsheets though just shooting off my thoughts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Last year, 2022, OC Tyler Linderbaum was thougbt of pretty highly on TT and was drafted 1/25. He started as a rookie and ended the season ranked #6. This year he ranks #9.

Even with our below average blocking, our offense ranked #12 on the strength of Stroud's play. With an improved OL and an improved run game, we could have a top 10 offense next year.
Ryans said he really liked the job Patterson did at center. Juice is improving and should provide great competition in TC with the Green's for those 2 spots. Isn't it great that the OL finally has some depth? I could also see Kenyon get the swing OT job if he doesn't win the starting LG spot, which would be disappointing. He played both OT spots at A&M.

I really want Kenyon Green to work out. Not because he was a 1st round pick. That’s a sunk cost.

But because he showed the ability to be a nasty mauler in the run game when he was in college. The team needs that.
If Green can finally get healthy and play up to his talent level that would solve a lot of the OL issues.

With all the talk from outside media and fans about using another high draft pick on the OL, would you draft an OL in the first 3 rounds?

Personally, I think that if the line stays healthy and we get a RB familiar with the system we run, it will be much improved. I don't see how next year could be as bad as this year. Freakishly bad on the health front. I definitely wouldn't draft anyone for the OL before the 4th round. Based on his 6th round pick on Patterson last year, I think Caserio can find some quality depth in the later rounds for insurance. Especially if we can get a TE that can block worth a damn (not a slight on Schultz, it's just not his role).

Maybe Kenyon Green will magically change everything we've seen from him on the field and in the weight room to live up to his 1st round pick? I'm not going to hold my breath but if he does not, I do think that some combination of Patterson or Juice at LG/C will be just fine and the coaching staff's ability to put together a serviceable line with spare and discarded parts cannot be overlooked. They made Austin Deculus look like a an NFL player in the 30-6 drubbing of the Steelers that had a decent defense.

At this point, this team has too many needs at WR, TE, Interior D-line, CB, LB, S to invest another high pick on the OL.

Of course, we can't possibly know how well he really is doing, but I cannot rest easy. I would draft linemen with my first 2 picks ! I think CJ's protection is paramount in our quest .... I don't think we will ever have a QB with his talent again. Don't forget to remember, he already missed multiple games due to concussion !

Just want to be on record, since I've been so negative on Howard's return, that I'm now on board that he could try and return by training camp.

I went back to read CnnnD and found he had edited his comments in late December. I no longer find mention of an 18 month recovery. I went way back to 2011 when CnnnD mentioned it could take as little as 6 months and for more severe injury, 9 to 12 months.

This assessment agrees with another Google search which I found all over the place, but most saying 4 to 6 months, and at least one saying 6 to 12 months. Of course these focus on the general population and CnnnD more on football injury.

Reactions: JB
Of course, we can't possibly know how well he really is doing, but I cannot rest easy. I would draft linemen with my first 2 picks ! I think CJ's protection is paramount in our quest .... I don't think we will ever have a QB with his talent again. Don't forget to remember, he already missed multiple games due to concussion !
Hey man, what do you think of our line with a healthy Howard at RT?
What if anything would you do this off-season to make it better?

After the season and Janice McNair winning her court case against her son, I think things are going good for the Texans so why not?
I'm trying to follow your thought process,

What does the Janice lawsuit have to do with the Howard injury or the likelihood of him returning to his previous rate of play, which frankly was avg at best?

I'm trying to follow your thought process,

What does the Janice lawsuit have to do with the Howard injury or the likelihood of him returning to his previous rate of play, which frankly was avg at best?
As I pointed out, the 2023 season was really good and positive for us as was Janice winning the lawsuit. I would like to project that Howard returning to start at any time during the 2024 season would also be extremely good and positive.

I heard on 610 radio that Caserio said Tytus Howard will be ready for training camp.
That'll be about 8 months post op. About what is to be expected for a quick rehab. If he does make it back that soon it remains to be seen whether it's at 100% pre-injury. Or 90%, or 80%, or what.

With this positive projection for Howard's return, and with two veterans, Beck and Sharpe, and with two young developmentals, Thomas and Zierer, under contract, it's looking unlikely Caserio will spend a draft pick on another tackle.

I'm sorry .... just now saw this . Truth is .... I don't that I've ever seen him healthy - I do know that I've ever seen him playing well .... maybe he did .... but when I isolate on him, I see nothing that impresses me. QB to TE to LM ... I Don't Know . I do see other Linemen

Last edited:

No kidding .... I've never seen play hard or dominate for one play .... I can't imagine what he would look like. I have seen backup RT, can't remember his name, Battling like hell !!! Did we cut our punter ? I remember looking at Patterson's physique and thinking he looked strong and athletic .... 31 1/3" arms - is that long enough for center ?

Last edited:
In a perfect world Texans take bpa and fill biggest need. 42nd pick will be one heck of player, regardless which side of the ball he plays. This is a really great OT & WR class. Wouldn’t surprise me at all if it goes done in that order or draft immovable force T’Vondre Sweat.

:logo:

No kidding .... I've never seen play hard or dominate for one play .... I can't imagine what he would look like. I have seen backup RT, can't remember his name, Battling like hell !!! Did we cut our punter ? I remember looking at Patterson's physique and thinking he looked strong and athletic .... 31 1/3" arms - is that long enough for center ?

As long as he doesn't have to lower himself down to his knees so his hands can reach and snap the ball.....he should be fine. One observation, Patterson was doing just fine at C before his injury. I really want to see the more athletic Scruggs remain at LG b/c he was getting better at his job as the season progressed. They didn't really get much of a chance to have Scruggs and Patterson on the field at the same time. If Scruggs comes to camp as a LG, I truly believe he'd be the top LG on the team by the end of camp.

On a side note....Patterson, Scruggs, and Green could all play C or OG which represents great depth.

Last edited:
In a perfect world Texans take bpa and fill biggest need. 42nd pick will be one heck of player, regardless which side of the ball he plays. This is a really great OT & WR class. Wouldn’t surprise me at all if it goes done in that order or draft immovable force T’Vondre Sweat.

:logo:

Texans apparently like Christian Jones.

Offensive tackle Christian Jones was drilled by the New Orleans Saints, and he looked good. Teams are looking at him as a right tackle on Sundays. One team keen on Jones is the Houston Texans, who could use the 86th pick to draft him.

https://www.sportskeeda.com/nfl/new...worth-notes-adonai-mitchell-ja-tavion-sanders

I heard on 610 radio that Caserio said Tytus Howard will be ready for training camp.
When did Nick say that? Because I don't remember Caserio being that specific when speaking of Howard in his interview with Payne and Pendergast on Tuesday.

Here's a link to the Caserio interview on 610. Nick's response to Howard's status begins at 37:24. The following is my transcription.

"Tytus has some work done in the offseason, after the season. Honestly, Tytus is a tough dude. He's very tough, physically tough. He probably played more hurt than maybe people realized last year. Ultimately, we decided to shut him down, had to shut him down. He's got a good attitude, some of the pain has subsided. So the procedure he had done will hopefully help him. He's been here every day, so he's starting to make progress. So really, the best thing is for all these players is to come in, work with our training staff, work with our sports performance staff, and take it one day at a time. As far as timing of when they are going to be on the field, we're not too caught up in that. If he's making progress, moving in the right direction, that's the most important thing."

Last edited:
I'm sorry .... just now saw this . Truth is .... I don't that I've ever seen him healthy
2022 was the first and only season Howard played in every game. He's missed 22 games over 5 seasons. Played hurt in others. Not sure if he ever played healthy in 2023.

"But the Texans have invested heavily in Tytus..." Yes, I know. But what does that have to do with the odds Howard will be able to perform at a satisfactory level in 2024? The money Tytus is being paid has nothing to do with his health and future performance.

Last edited:
Texans apparently like Christian Jones.

Offensive tackle Christian Jones was drilled by the New Orleans Saints, and he looked good. Teams are looking at him as a right tackle on Sundays. One team keen on Jones is the Houston Texans, who could use the 86th pick to draft him.

https://www.sportskeeda.com/nfl/new...worth-notes-adonai-mitchell-ja-tavion-sanders
He's really raw, but lots of improvement each year. 5 sacks as a sophmore; 4 sacks as a junior; 3 sacks as a senior; 0 sacks as a fifth year senior. Has all the physical traits. Draftbuzz says good movement and feet. Like what they have to say about him. Could be worth one of our 4s

When did Nick say that? Because I don't remember Caserio being that specific when speaking of Howard in his interview with Payne and Pendergast on Tuesday.

Here's a link to the Caserio interview on 610. Nick's response to Howard's status begins at 37:24. The following is my transcription.

"Tytus has some work done in the offseason, after the season. Honestly, Tytus is a tough dude. He's very tough, physically tough. He probably played more hurt than maybe people realized last year. Ultimately, we decided to shut him down, had to shut him down. He's got a good attitude, some of the pain has subsided. So the procedure he had done will hopefully help him. He's been here every day, so he's starting to make progress. So really, the best thing is for all these players is to come in, work with our training staff, work with our sports performance staff, and take it one day at a time. As far as timing of when they are going to be on the field, we're not too caught up in that. If he's making progress, moving in the right direction, that's the most important thing."
Nothing here indicating he'll be back for TC.

To be fair, it is hard to evaluate Howard as he is not remained at right tackle. He is not a guard either side. Concerning Patterson's arms, you are correct, they are extremely short. However, it has not impacted him in college at Notre Dame or NFL. He has yet to give up a sack.

beats me! As I said, the guys on 610 radio brought it up and said that he would be ready. To be honest I was stunned. As everyone knows, I do not think that Tytus Howard will play this year but I'm certainly going to admit if I am wrong.

beats me! As I said, the guys on 610 radio brought it up and said that he would be ready. To be honest I was stunned. As everyone knows, I do not think that Tytus Howard will play this year but I'm certainly going to admit if I am wrong.

That is not accurate. I listened to the interview. He was careful not to give specific medical updates. What he said regarding Howard:
1. He is a tough dude, who played through a lot last year before they had to remove him (it was a we3ird portion of the interview where he seemed hesitant/strange when he referenced the season-ending event (the rupture) that happened)
2. He said that he is doing all that he can to get ready
3. He said that Howard and Dell are both ahead of Dylan Horton in their expected return.

A person listening to interview could certainly come away with the impression that they are expecting Howard to be ready to go, but he never said that. My impression is that they are expecting him to meaningfully contribute this season.. BUT, he never said that either.

Back