Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans Offensive Line

beats me! As I said, the guys on 610 radio brought it up and said that he would be ready. To be honest I was stunned. As everyone knows, I do not think that Tytus Howard will play this year but I'm certainly going to admit if I am wrong.
610 has been talking like Howard will be back for weeks, maybe for over a month. I've never heard any conversation in detail about his injury or the progress of his rehab. All talk about the OL just assumes he'll be back. It's like they have their heads in the sand.

610 has been talking like Howard will be back for weeks, maybe for over a month. I've never heard any conversation in detail about his injury or the progress of his rehab. All talk about the OL just assumes he'll be back. It's like they have their heads in the sand.

If you want to hear Caserio talk about, listen to the interview from last week. Listening to 610am's impression of the Texans' is not the same thing!

It's like problem doesn't exist .... like it's taking care of itself .... hope F.O. is just keeping under wraps .... Bad Feeling !

It's like problem doesn't exist .... like it's taking care of itself .... hope F.O. is just keeping under wraps .... Bad Feeling !
I prefer to think they have it handled as they are infinitely closer to the situation than we are.
I also like to think they do not want to see CJ go down with another concussion.
Let's wait until we see what they do from now until the pre season starts.

I rarely listen to any sports talk on the radio any longer. I just happened to be going somewhere and punched it on.

this is sort of where I am . Rarely does anyone mention it and nothing from the team about right tackle and Howard. I would have thought we would at least have heard rumors of right tackle free agents we were bidding on but nothing.
Ryans thinking that we won the championship on a rotation of scrubs so if we have to we can do it again? Please don't let that be so.

When we still had 23, I thought Nick just doesn't want other teams to know we are going to go for a tackle. So much for that!

That is not accurate. I listened to the interview. He was careful not to give specific medical updates. What he said regarding Howard:
1. He is a tough dude, who played through a lot last year before they had to remove him (it was a we3ird portion of the interview where he seemed hesitant/strange when he referenced the season-ending event (the rupture) that happened)
2. He said that he is doing all that he can to get ready
3. He said that Howard and Dell are both ahead of Dylan Horton in their expected return.

A person listening to interview could certainly come away with the impression that they are expecting Howard to be ready to go, but he never said that. My impression is that they are expecting him to meaningfully contribute this season.. BUT, he never said that either.
When did Nick say that? Because I don't remember Caserio being that specific when speaking of Howard in his interview with Payne and Pendergast on Tuesday.

Here's a link to the Caserio interview on 610. Nick's response to Howard's status begins at 37:24. The following is my transcription.

"Tytus has some work done in the offseason, after the season. Honestly, Tytus is a tough dude. He's very tough, physically tough. He probably played more hurt than maybe people realized last year. Ultimately, we decided to shut him down, had to shut him down. He's got a good attitude, some of the pain has subsided. So the procedure he had done will hopefully help him. He's been here every day, so he's starting to make progress. So really, the best thing is for all these players is to come in, work with our training staff, work with our sports performance staff, and take it one day at a time. As far as timing of when they are going to be on the field, we're not too caught up in that. If he's making progress, moving in the right direction, that's the most important thing."

Sorry, my bad, don't remember him playing any meaningful snaps last season?

It was in in the 2PM, or 3PM hour, that going into the break, they agreed willingly that they were going to sort out, for us, the exact situation concerning tour offensive line situation. Wild horses could not have dragged me away ! When they returned and talked slowly and clearly, I mean, they could not have spoken more slowly, Clint and Hughly, have never spoken more slowly or clearly .... they said Nothing .... absolutely nothing ! I kept whistling and calling for the horses. They finally moseyed in to check - when I broke into "Send in the Clowns" !!!

Last edited:

We will know how they feel about Howard’s recovery if they spend a premium pick on an OT.

The Texans have been a lot more tight-lipped since Easterby was shown the door. IMO, Caserio is emphasizing that as part of the new Texans culture. Not a peep from them the last 2 drafts. I like it.
As far as Howard goes, the good doctor doesn't have a very good professional diagnosis for him returning to play.
I believe he was being paid as a guard and had to play a certain number of games there to satisfy contract obligations.
RT is his groove.
The entire OL was mix-and-match for the vast majority of the season.

He's really raw, but lots of improvement each year. 5 sacks as a sophmore; 4 sacks as a junior; 3 sacks as a senior; 0 sacks as a fifth year senior. Has all the physical traits. Draftbuzz says good movement and feet. Like what they have to say about him. Could be worth one of our 4s
His feet are slow. IMHO, but I have to give it to him. Since they moved him to his more natural RT position that he's really improved. He's a very good run blocker, big powerful dude.

I believe he was being paid as a guard and had to play a certain number of games there to satisfy contract obligations.
RT is his groove.
The problem is when he's been healthy (2022 is the only time this has happened for a full season.) he's been avg at best and that includes playing RT. It's too bad that Caserio decided it was a good idea to pay him like a top 10 OT in the entire NFL. This has been Caserio's biggest screwup since he's been here. IMHO

Last edited:
The problem is when he's been healthy (2022 is the only time this has happened for a full season.) he's been avg at best and that includes playing RT. It's too bad that Caserio decided it was a good idea to play him like a top 10 OT in the entire NFL. This has been Caserio's biggest screwup since he's been here. IMHO
I know the eye test can give mixed opinions but so do the stats - some of which suggest he is not bad. Perhaps injury can explain the bad?

I know the eye test can give mixed opinions but so do the stats - some of which suggest he is not bad. Perhaps injury can explain the bad?
I can get on board with this, but after 4 yrs of these type questions it's more likely Howard is who he is. An avg player at best because of injury or whatever at some point the excuses have to stop. Sad part is he's he's being paid like a star level player.

What I find hilarious is some of the same posters that give Howard the injury excuse are the same guys that call Kenyon a bust although he's only played 5 games healthy and we have no idea if he's an above or below avg player. As far as Howard playing out of position, he played poorly playing out of position, which is to be expected.

I prefer to think they have it handled as they are infinitely closer to the situation than we are.
I also like to think they do not want to see CJ go down with another concussion.
Let's wait until we see what they do from now until the pre season starts.
Then why not just come out and say Titus Howard is expected to play game 1? Why hasn't any to my knowledge Talking Heads specifically asked about him? They have asked some of the dumbest questions why not ask that one? RT guarding super sensation Stroud and McClain doesn’t say " what up with the big boy with the knee surgery that nobody has successfully returned from?"

I can get on board with this, but after 4 yrs of these type questions it's more likely Howard is who he is. An avg player at best because of injury or whatever at some point the excuses have to stop. Sad part is he's he's being paid like a star level player.

What I find hilarious is some of the same posters that give Howard the injury excuse are the same guys that call Kenyon a bust although he's only played 5 games healthy and we have no idea if he's an above or below avg player. As far as Howard playing out of position, he played poorly playing out of position, which is to be expected.

Perhaps injury can explain the bad?
As far as Howard playing out of position, he played poorly playing out of position, which is to be expected.

I believe it's a combination .... I don't believe either are good athletes, may not have a true position, and seem to be injury prone ! It's not wrong to gamble on players you believe can develop into solid or multi-positional guys .... but when you miss, move the player and admit the error ... there is certainly no shame in that ... everybody has misses !

Last edited by a moderator:
Caserio, it's been his biggest screw up since he became GM.
Hey TK tell me what is a worse than paying an avg RT 18 mil a yr on a contract Caserio is going to have to eat next yr and probably the 2025 season, easily Caserio's wrst decision because that kinda money could've gotten a true difference maker.

Kenyon is going to be the LG if healthy and Scruggs the center. Patterson is depth. Green played ok vs elite competition before his injury. 1st rd picks are going to always get the benefit of the doubt

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Hey TK tell me what is a worse than paying an avg RT 18 mil a yr on a contract Caserio is going to have to eat next yr and probably the 2025 season, easily Caserio's wrst decision because that kinda money could've gotten a true difference maker.
Health is his issue. If he's healthy, he's a top 7 or 8 rt.

Worse if his evaluations are that far off. If Howard wasn't extended for merit, why do you think Caserio extended him? If he gets it that wrong, do we really want him presenting players to DeMeco?

Worse if his evaluations are that far off. If Howard wasn't extended for merit, why do you think Caserio extended him? If he gets it that wrong, do we really want him presenting players to DeMeco?
Everybody makes mistakes. He was betting on Howard's upside, like many around here. Overall the teams is where I thought they would be when the rebuild began, so I'm happy and the arrow is pointing up.

Disagree, but even if you're right Caserio paid him top 10 OT money not top 8 RT money.
You don't think a top 8 RT is a top 10 OT? Top edge rushers are rushing from the right just as much or more than from the left

For those of you who can view our offensive line as it will be, and can consider who will be behind them, and what they can accomplish with more operating time and room, - against far better defenses than last year, these guys would be much more physical !
Kingsley Sumatra - Christian Mahogony, Juice Scuggs, Christian Jones, Christian Haynes - these boys are physical !!
I did this last night, except for Tytus Howard . I had #42 for posterity .... funny, I like this ever better !

Last edited:
For those of you who can view our offensive line as it will be, and can consider who will be behind them, and what they can accomplish with more operating time and room, - against far better defenses than last year, these guys would be much more physical !
Kingsley Sumatra - Christian Mahogony, Juice Scuggs, Christian Jones, Christian Haynes - these boys are physical !!
I did this last night, except for Tytus Howard . I had #42 for posterity .... funny, I like this ever better !
I just don't see how anybody can say what our offensive line will be like but rather may be like.

I just don't see how anybody can say what our offensive line will be like but rather may be like.

I can see how most wouldn't see it .... It's a gift .... and a curse ! I'm Mr. Monk .

No he didn't. He's paid like a top 5 rt not ot. You called Ben Jones avg and all he was is be a main cog on a top end Titans ol. Texans also let another tackle leave for Philly because of BOB

Ben Jones was a good player, but easily replaceable. Except BOB couldn't judge or develop talent

You're thinking of Brooks the guard that had terrible stomach issues that the Texans medical staff couldn't figure out, but Philly's medical staff figured out how to treat his condition and he became an all pro. That one hurt the org.

He played at a high level in 2022 when healthy... the only year he's played at just RT
When did he play at a level where you said this guy's gonna be really good? I'm talking Steinkuhler RT good? Because that's who he's getting paid to be.

When did he play at a level where you said this guy's gonna be really good? I'm talking Steinkuhler RT good? Because that's who he's getting paid to be.
Hard to compare players across era's like that, but I believe in 2020 and in 2022 when healthy he played at or above the #2 pick overall Steinkuhler in the passing game. He hasn't been surrounded with near as much talent either.

Hard to compare players across era's like that, but I believe in 2020 and in 2022 when healthy he played at or above the #2 pick overall Steinkuhler in the passing game. He hasn't been surrounded with near as much talent either.
Disagree

Howard couldn't carry Steinkuhler's jock . I just don't get the love for a guy like Howard, who you cant depend on and hasn't accomplished a thing in his four years down on Kirby. But hey, the FO agrees with you. I bet Caserio wishes he had a do over though.

Back