Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Report: Brian Hoyer to be named Texans starting QB

Would team be in better shape with Fitzmagic over Hoyer?

If Hoyer is capable of running the offense & OB let's him, then Hoyer.

If OB tones it down where we don't see the whole offense, we'd have been better off with the less expensive Fitz.

I thought Elliott Harrison's take on the ceiling/floor for the 2015 Texans was interesting regarding Hoyer/Mallett debate.
HOUSTON TEXANS

Ceiling: 10-6. Houston's already been dealt a hot bowl of chili to the stomach, with a groin injury felling Arian Foster -- the Texans' best offensive player -- for potentially half the season, making an 11-win campaign and the AFC South title much more elusive. However, if DeAndre Hopkins can deliver again, while Ryan Mallett overtakes current starter Brian Hoyer and proves to be the real deal, there is hope. This defense is solid, especially if Jadeveon Clowney delivers 10 to 12 sacks.

Floor: 6-10. Methinks Houston will win at least eight games. But in our all-is-lost scenario, Clowney -- or, rather, his knee -- fails to bounce back. Hoyer winds up tossing flat passes and none-yard outs to Alfred Blue and Garrett Graham. And J.J. Watt falls back to Earth as only a 10-sack Pro Bowler. Of course, in 2013, when Watt was dominant, this team still only won two games.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...-scenarios-colts-broncos-have-great-potential

This seems like a fair article.

Maybe Hoyer is better than given credit for though and could go 10-6.
whole lotta "ifs" in there; sort of reminds me of dating when I was a teenager: if she said yes and if I could get off work and if I didn't stumble over over my own feet and if my confidence did not evaporate....

Depends on how short a leash OB has on Hoyer. Last year wasn't encouraging, but he indicated as much on HK.
I want to take O'Brien at his word. Which in my mind means, if Hoyer is getting blasted by KC, he gives him the hook and puts Mallett in. But I think it's more likely that he means if Hoyer plays bad 2 or 3 games he will give him the hook. As you pointed out, his patience with Fitzy last year was misguided IMO and I would not call that a short leash at all.

I want to take O'Brien at his word. Which in my mind means, if Hoyer is getting blasted by KC, he gives him the hook and puts Mallett in. But I think it's more likely that he means if Hoyer plays bad 2 or 3 games he will give him the hook. As you pointed out, his patience with Fitzy last year was misguided IMO and I would not call that a short leash at all.
Kansas City is a good team. I think he was trying to say that one bad game wouldn't be enough to make a change. But I may be wrong.

I wouldn't expect to see Mal against KC short of injury. Just some kinda feel for OB tells me he's gonna want to give his starter at least four full quarters to be the guy. That can still be considered a short leash, just gives the starter a chance to work a first full theater of a game. If he sputters and fits against Carolina after a bad week one I think we'll see Mallett in a hurry then. Just my own shot in the dark opinion.

No, he must release the Kraken!

24q8ocx.jpg

The Japanese...they're just plain interesting.

You guys are delusional. No HC is pulling their starting qb after 1 game unless said qb had an atrocious game...to the tune of say 3 picks and couple of other turnovers or some other combination like that...and even then the HC might still weigh the circumstances. So I expect Hoyer gets at least 2-3 games before OB thinks about giving him the hook b/c i doubt he has a game with that much fail in it at any point in the season.

You guys are delusional. No HC is pulling their starting qb after 1 game unless said qb had an atrocious game...to the tune of say 3 picks and couple of other turnovers or some other combination like that...and even then the HC might still weigh the circumstances. So I expect Hoyer gets at least 2-3 games before OB thinks about giving him the hook b/c i doubt he has a game with that much fail in it at any point in the season.
Agreed, especially against the KC passrush.

I think Hoyer has a 4 game leash. No way we see Mallett (barring injury) until after September.

I seriously doubt he has a set number of games. If Hoyer flat out sucks for 4 games, but we're 4-0 & the Colts are 2-2, I doubt we'll make a change. & then he'll only make a change if he thinks Mallett gives us something Hoyer doesn't & to tell you the truth, I don't believe he does.

I know he said Hoyer has a short leash, but I think it's going to be Hoyer barring injury.

It's going to take a Bledsoe/Brady type scenario for Mallett to see the field.

Did anybody catch in Hard Knocks where OB is explaining to a someone that Mallett has to wait his turn like Aaron Rogers did and Brady? He said only a guy like Peyton Manning gets to see the field in his rookie year.

Makes me realize that Hoyer has a longer leash than expected.

Going glass totally half-empty here:

With Hoyer under center, RB by committee, non-existent TE's and only 1 of the top 5 WR's having actually played a real game for the Texans, how does this "system" look any different than what Cleveland had last year?

Holy crap, we have Cleveland's offense...

Did anybody catch in Hard Knocks where OB is explaining to a someone that Mallett has to wait his turn like Aaron Rogers did and Brady? He said only a guy like Peyton Manning gets to see the field in his rookie year.

This is pretty far from Mallett's rookie year.

With Hoyer under center, RB by committee, non-existent TE's and only 1 of the top 5 WR's having actually played a real game for the Texans, how does this "system" look any different than what Cleveland had last year?

We have a functional organization? This has got to be the worst comparison ever made

FYI, that someone was Cal McNair. He'll be taking over... actually, he's between Rick Smith & Bob McNair.

Lololololol!!!! "The Houston Browns"......Does anyone feel like Hoyers a bit to small to hold up to hits from DE's that are 6'6" & weigh 275 lbs +.....If Hoyer & Mallett were neck & neck in the QB competition why not go w/ Mallett....This kid is freaking 6'6"" 245lbs....That's a VERY Big kid

I know he's not a rookie, but to see OB say he needs to to wait just reassured me that Hoyer isn't coming out unless he's injured or really sucks after 8 games.

I don't think he was making a point about Mallett having to wait an extended period. I think it was more a discussion about Mallett being dissapointed and acknowledging the fact that lots of talented qb's have had to manage that dissapointment.

Hoyer isn't going to continually **** the bed and not get yanked.

Lololololol!!!! "The Houston Browns"

Can we go ahead and be "The Houston Blues" instead? I mean, Browns is already taken and maybe we can get Columbia Blue back. In fact do everything just like the Oiler's did but the name and the derrick on the helmet.

I know football in Houston has given me the blues more than once.

I strongly disagree with this comment. As has been pointed out before, Mallett's already put in a year more than Rodgers did prior to taking over the starting job.

As somebody who never had a problem with the idea of Hoyer getting the starting job (even though I hoped Mallett would shine enough to take it), all you've got to do is listen to the lukewarm way in which OB told the QB group Hoyer was being named starter, and you definitely get the feeling that Mallett starting at QB not too long into the season is a very realistic possibility.

I disagree.

That's your perogative. But believe me, I used to want a QB who was 6'4" or taller, 250lbs or so, with a rocket laser arm who could disect defenses with the best of them.

Now, I just want a guy with hair..... on top of his head.

You are making sense. Stop it. It isn't allowed on the internet.

Good job taking all the heat you are getting for your Hoyer support. We need someone to argue with.

I did hope that Mallett can progress enough to take the job, but he didn't.

In the meantime, I'm more confident with Hoyer than I was with Fitzpatrick to start last year.

I watched a couple of years worth of his tape, and Fitz was widely inconsistent; almost like good Rex - bad Rex.
There were more than a few passes he threw right into the defenders' lap that were dropped pure and simple. (Not even counting the ones that the defenders had a chance; they just weren't guys known for having good hands so I didn't count those.

They were still bad passes, and you never know when his (Fitz's) luck can run out.

I wasn't surprised when OB reigned him in.
The strategy did work overall.

For those concerned with Hoyer's size.. at least take solace in the fact that Mallet is as good, if not better, than Hoyer and can and will step in nicely if Hoyer gets broken.
Of course, if Mallet goes down again, especially with Savage wounded.. we will be fraggled right in the rock.

It's really encouraging to see where Hoyer is ranked among the 32 starters in the league and then be told he is an upgrade over Fitzy. Just scroll the the very end of the article to get the entire 11 words describing our starter.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000524987/article/qb-index-ranking-the-starters-132

j9tqht.jpg

Sort of sad.

In this ranking, Aaron Rodgers is in a CLASS OF HIS OWN at the top.

I guess Brian Hoyer should be considered in a CLASS OF HIS OWN........at the bottom.

The way I look at it, if things become hopeless, we can all resort to delusion.

images

Until proven otherwise, I prefer to think of this as being Hoyer's breakout season much like Brady's 2001 season as we discover we had a gem in the rough at QB.

In Brian Hoyer we trust! The Browns made a mistake not re-signing him.

Huge mistake. Just insane not to re-sign him.

Actually I'm kind of curious about how this is going to play out. The Browns never get it right and they let him go. The Texans never get it right and we picked him up. Irresistible Force/Immovable Object? If he works out in Houston will we break the Space-Time-Continuum?

Huge mistake. Just insane not to re-sign him.

Actually I'm kind of curious about how this is going to play out. The Browns never get it right and they let him go. The Texans never get it right and we picked him up. Irresistible Force/Immovable Object? If he works out in Houston will we break the Space-Time-Continuum?
Haha! Good analogy. I'm very interested in seeing how this plays out, too. I've gotten over being butt-hurt and I'm now pulling for Hoyer to be the best QB in NFL history. Yeah, I've been an Oilers/Texans fan for 40 years. I'm used to dreaming big and dealing with heartbreak. LOL

Back