Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Report: Brian Hoyer to be named Texans starting QB

lol...

I was not suggesting his opinion makes any difference. It was more of a surprise to hear him say it. While I respect his opinion, I find it hard to have the same kind of confidence in Hoyer. I guess we will get some kind of an idea in a few hours.

I actually respect Kurts opinion. To me, Hoyer gets rid of the ball much faster in O'Brians offense than I imagined. Makes snap decisions & looks confident in his progressions. Accuracy good short to medium range then starts falling off. I can live with that, that's were his receivers have to adjust & come back for the ball as needed. Timing & reps.

I actually respect Kurts opinion. To me, Hoyer gets rid of the ball much faster in O'Brians offense than I imagined. Makes snap decisions & looks confident in his progressions. Accuracy good short to medium range then starts falling off. I can live with that, that's were his receivers have to adjust & come back for the ball as needed. Timing & reps.

The only problem I have with Hoyer is how he handles pressure. I haven't seen anything to lead me to believe he'll handle it better this year.

The only problem I have with Hoyer is how he handles pressure. I haven't seen anything to lead me to believe he'll handle it better this year.

Thats a problem all QB's have to combat. Starts with improved offensive line play, ability to pick-up the blitz, game planning & who will step up in running game. His ability to handle pressure is dependent on these factors, but I believe he will do a better job of protecting the football regardless the pressure :swatter:

Hoyer at his next job interview........

animals-personnel-human_resources-hires-hirelings-managers-rde9037_low.jpg

Thats a problem all QB's have to combat. Starts with improved offensive line play, ability to pick-up the blitz, game planning & who will step up in running game. His ability to handle pressure is dependent on these factors, but I believe he will do a better job of protecting the football regardless the pressure :swatter:

Handling pressure both physical and mental is the grand difference between all of them. Most of them who make the NFL with no pressure and bunches of good stuff around them can do plenty of good stuff...

You can chalk this loss up to Hoyer. Have you ever seen anybody who could match his ability to stink and suck at the same time?

You can chalk this loss up to Hoyer. Have you ever seen anybody who could match his ability to stink and suck at the same time?

He established his stink/suck credibility right out of the gate.

I have a theory about Mallet that I bet a lot of you guys share. If there is something to Mallet, if he is more than meets the eye then it's something that happens on the field during a real game and not in their practice bubble or in a preseason game with a mix of players and scrubs.

Last edited:
wanna know who the most popular player outside of JJ Watt on the Texans is?

Whomever is playing backup QB

I am starting to feel that we have two mediocre guys

This is exactly what I can't wrap my head around. Why do you pay a guy a ton of money who has
bombed out everywhere he has played in the league.

It is arrogance to think that BoB can "magically" turn Hoyer into Brady. It cannot be done. And BoB
should just realize that.

Honestly, I think the duo of Fitz and Keenum is better than Hoyer and Mallet. (they would be
safer with the ball atleast..)

How come everyone knew Brian Hoover was a turn over machine but o'Brien?

That's almost the right question. It should be: "Why did O'Brien think he would get better results from Hoyer than Cleveland did?"

My answer is that O'Brien developed a professional respect for Hoyer in New England that led to a bias in his ability to be a starter. There was probably a personal relationship there too. That bias starts leading to rationalizations like, "He was just in the wrong system in Cleveland. He didn't have the right coaches, not enough support, no chemistry. "

This happens often in any professional organization. An up-and-comer talks the talk with his superiors, impresses, gets favoritism, and moves up. Then he turns out to be a terrible manager. But then the other guy -- the cocky asshole who pisses everyone off -- he outperforms the favored guy because he knows how to function under pressure and be assertive. It's hard for the superior to give up on the favored guy, because he was envisioned to be the future, and giving up on him means killing his career path.

Well I've seen that scenario plenty of times in my work life, and we just saw it today in a football game.

And if there's anyone who's shocked about this, it's O'Brien. To his credit, Hoyer didn't perform anything like this in camp or preseason. We all saw those games too. But it wasn't until today that the real Hoyer showed up like the bride who reveals her insanity the day after the wedding. Previously, all her stories about her ex-husbands made her out to be the victim, until the day you sympathized with the ex's.

And also to O'Brien's credit, he yanked Hoyer's leash in-game to see how Mallett performed under pressure. Well, the cocky asshole functioned, and he's going to be the one to earn the promotion, just as it happens so often in the real world.

Last edited:
I'm not trying to be a dick, but dude. This is a failure of epic proportions. At first I thought you were being sarcastic, but the more of these posts I saw, I realized you were serious. I'm beginning to suspect you rode the short bus to school.

Where are the Brian Hoyer forum signatures we can rock out? We have ourselves a new starting quarterback and this is a new era of Houston Texans Football. I'd like to show my support for Brian Hoyer but there are no Texans sigs of him anywhere on the Internet. I even see some Ryan Mallett sigs out there but he's only a backup right now.

I'm ready to support Brian Hoyer and the 2015 Houston Texans.

I actually had Brian Hoyer ranked near the top of this past free agent class among the quarterbacks who were available.

Brian Hoyer gives us a better chance to win.
I'm excited he won the job. Good call, Bill O'Brien.

When Brian Hoyer wins the Super Bowl and leads the league in Touchdown passes and passing yards this year, makes the pro bowl and is named a first-team All Pro, wins the league MVP as well, I wonder what the nay sayers will say then? The man is pretty much Tom Brady in disguise... He's just ready to be unleashed!!!! Bill O'Brien struck gold with this free agent signing. Just enjoy the ride and the Lombardi Trophy's will start to come our way.

When Brian Hoyer leads the Houston Texans to a victory in Super Bowl 50 at Levi's Stadium in Santa Clara, California on February 7 I'm not going to be the least bit surprised. I expect the Texans to win their first NFL championship this season.

I'm very excited about Hoyer who I believe will become the best quarterback in franchise history. It's all about winning Super Bowls and I see something truly special in Brian Hoyer that has me thinking that anything is possible. It's time to rally behind the Brian Hoyer era. This is going to be a fun ride.

Brian Hoyer will win a few Super Bowls with the Texans.
I'm glad we signed him. He's the best QB we've ever had.

I need a Brian Hoyer signature kind of soon. Before the season starts. It makes me feel a little puzzled how there are Ryan Mallett sigs on here, a backup, but not one of our starting quarterback.

In Brian Hoyer we trust! The Browns made a mistake not re-signing him.

Brian Hoyer can become our gatorade boy. He looks like one and plays like one.

Ryan Mallett looked rather impressive today.
I look forward to seeing him start Week 2.
We have to see if he's our guy going into 2016.
A full season of work will give us a better gauge.
Brian Hoyer, this dude let me down, so whatever.

34te3oy.jpg

This is exactly what I can't wrap my head around. Why do you pay a guy a ton of money who has
bombed out everywhere he has played in the league.

It is arrogance to think that BoB can "magically" turn Hoyer into Brady. It cannot be done. And BoB
should just realize that.

Honestly, I think the duo of Fitz and Keenum is better than Hoyer and Mallet. (they would be
safer with the ball atleast..)

I was hoping we'd play this season with Mallett, Fitz, and Savage.

I kinda giggled a little when D-Hop said the Hoyer pick on our 13 was his fault, that he should've ran a cleaner route. I just thought to myself, 'what the heck was the route? Run 5 yards then stop, drop and roll?'

Is that a new one in the route tree? Would it be called a 5 yard hit the deck?

I kinda giggled a little when D-Hop said the Hoyer pick on our 13 was his fault, that he should've ran a cleaner route. I just thought to myself, 'what the heck was the route? Run 5 yards then stop, drop and roll?'

He's just trying to be the best teammate he can be.
:boogereater:

5-Yard grass stain on 3 BREAK!

No, that's the old Cleveland Browns play Brown right, z70 WTF!

If you remember back to the San Diego game week 1 of 2013, Schaub threw a pick six in what looked almost exactly like what we saw there. As if both Schaub & Hoyer expected Hop to run a slant there, get inside the defender for an easy catch. But Hop saw something different & ran a go route both times.

I'm sure Nuk is trying to keep the torches and pitchforks at bay, but c'mon. Hoyer threw that soft and completely blind. Never even looked that way until he started his throwing motion trying to avoid the sack.

Hoyer is hot garbage, just like the majority of us thought before game 1. This team will go nowhere with him at QB.

What I'm curious about with O'Brien and his so-called "QB guru" reputation is if he has ever taken a rookie QB - one that he evaluated and recognized the potential as a college player - and coached him up to be a good pro QB. Is this even on O'Brien's resume? I would assume not since his pro experience is 5 years with HoF QB Brady already established and 1 year as a Texan and the 4 rejects they trotted out there.

Can we even expect this HC to recognize and coach up a rookie QB at any point? If the body of work is Savage, then I'm not too optimistic about it.

Hoyer is hot garbage, just like the majority of us thought before game 1. This team will go nowhere with him at QB.

What I'm curious about with O'Brien and his so-called "QB guru" reputation is if he has ever taken a rookie QB - one that he evaluated and recognized the potential as a college player - and coached him up to be a good pro QB. Is this even on O'Brien's resume? I would assume not since his pro experience is 5 years with HoF QB Brady already established and 1 year as a Texan and the 4 rejects they trotted out there.

Can we even expect this HC to recognize and coach up a rookie QB at any point? If the body of work is Savage, then I'm not too optimistic about it.

He has no professional body of work. He inherited Brady and has only drafted one guy in the NFL (Savage). His resume is college. He turned Matt McGloin from a benched walk-on to the Raiders backup QB and made Hackenberg look like a future #1 pick. Really all he has done in the pros is give Fitzpatrick his best season of his career. That's really all we have to go on.

He has no professional body of work. He inherited Brady and has only drafted one guy in the NFL (Savage). His resume is college. He turned Matt McGloin from a benched walk-on to the Raiders backup QB and made Hackenberg look like a future #1 pick. Really all he has done in the pros is give Fitzpatrick his best season of his career. That's really all we have to go on.

That's what I thought. I like O'Brien, so this is not pink soap talk. That said, he's not above objective criticism, and his two seasons of getting backup QBs off of the NFL's scrap heap is going to reflect on him as a HC. I do not believe that none of the QBs out of college are not worthy of his offensive scheme. At some point, O'Brien is going to have to earn his "QB guru" title and actually commit to a young guy and coach him up to be a pro. JMO.

That's what I thought. I like O'Brien, so this is not pink soap talk. That said, he's not above objective criticism, and his two seasons of getting backup QBs off of the NFL's scrap heap is going to reflect on him as a HC. I do not believe that none of the QBs out of college are not worthy of his offensive scheme. At some point, O'Brien is going to have to earn his "QB guru" title and actually commit to a young guy and coach him up to be a pro. JMO.

JMO...

His work with Fitzpatrick last year was a positive on his ability to bring out the best in his QB.

His inability to seriously address the QB situation thus far is a negative on this attitude that he thinks he can make it work with anyone at QB.

JMO...

His work with Fitzpatrick last year was a positive on his ability to bring out the best in his QB.

His inability to seriously address the QB situation thus far is a negative on this attitude that he thinks he can make it work with anyone at QB.

I don't think it's a negative. Of course, that's mainly because I don't think there was a QB out there worth enough to get worked over about. Bridgewater, Bortles, Foles... I don't think they'll be more than a good Matt Schaub. But you can find good Matt Schaub's in guys like Mallett, Savage... until I see a QB I'm worth giving up a 1st round pick to go get... I'm not sweating the decision.

Well, not that I want to give up a first round pick to get him. If he's in our draft range, then we'll get him in our draft range, like Flacco, Ben, or Rodgers.

But I'm also not happy bringing a guy like Hoyer in & naming him the starter with a fake QB competition.

JMO...

Agree with you about Fitz. I was hopeless when we signed him, but by the end of the season, I though O'Brien did a solid job of getting the best he could out of four backup QBs.

I just have to wonder why he didn't just keep Fitz for 2015 with a season under his belt instead of believing that Hoyer was an upgrade over Fitz. At least Fitz has a competitive fire. You could see it in the Jets highlights yesterday.

I don't think it's a negative. Of course, that's mainly because I don't think there was a QB out there worth enough to get worked over about. Bridgewater, Bortles, Foles... I don't think they'll be more than a good Matt Schaub. But you can find good Matt Schaub's in guys like Mallett, Savage... until I see a QB I'm worth giving up a 1st round pick to go get... I'm not sweating the decision.

Well, not that I want to give up a first round pick to get him. If he's in our draft range, then we'll get him in our draft range, like Flacco, Ben, or Rodgers.

But I'm also not happy bringing a guy like Hoyer in & naming him the starter with a fake QB competition.

Bridgewater is going to be really good and we had him fall into our lap and passed on him.

Then again, I'm extremely biased on Bridgewater. I pounded the table all offseason for us to take him #1 and took a lot of crap for doing so.

Bridgewater is going to be really good and we had him fall into our lap and passed on him.

Then again, I'm extremely biased on Bridgewater. I pounded the table all offseason for us to take him #1 and took a lot of crap for doing so.

I'm gonna say this one last damn time, he was ALREADY TAKEN when we picked our second pick. So by definition, he could not have "fallen into our lap" because he no longer existed on the board.

Unless you mean we should of taken him 1-1, which would have been a big reach.

Considering he's only been in the league one year, that's plenty. Took Fitz 10 years to have a season like that. Which franchise QB would you have brought in to beat out the scrubs we have?

Considering he's only been in the league one year, that's plenty. Took Fitz 10 years to have a season like that. Which franchise QB would you have brought in to beat out the scrubs we have?

Talking about his full NFL career which is more than 1 year.

I'm gonna say this one last damn time, he was ALREADY TAKEN when we picked our second pick. So by definition, he could not have "fallen into our lap" because he no longer existed on the board.

We could easily have traded up two spots to take him. We didn't. He was right there for the taking.

And I was all for taking him #1 before the draft (and so were many people, it was not a reach at all during the actual college season). Then he had the bad Pro Day and everyone started poking holes in him and I realized we could take Clowney/Mack #1 and still walk out of the 1st with Bridgewater as well. That's what I would have done. Draft Clowney #1 and trade up for Bridgewater.

& I can understand a person like you being upset with the way we've managed the QBs here over the last two years. Even the guys who wanted Garopolo, or Carr as well.

Though the Garopolo thing confuses me a little. When there was talk of the Texans taking Savage at #2, those who wanted Garopolo where absolutely against it. I'd imagine if we took Savage in the 3rd, they'd have been upset with that as well. I wasn't particularly high on Savage, but rumor was that O'Brien was. So as far as I'm concerned, he got his guy at a bargain. Probably even fooled two teams into taking a QB earlier than they needed to.

I was high on the prospect of what Mallett would bring. During that draft, I was as satisfied with Mallett as I would have been with any of the QBs that were taken in the first round (Bortles, JFF, & Bridgewater). But two years into it & it's clear that OB doesn't see anything in Mallett.

Either he's flat out wrong, or Belichick got over on us in that trade.

I expect to see a move to get a QB in the next offseason. Either OB finds a way to fall in love with a 1st rounder, or he makes a move to get his Schaub... two 2nds for Nassib or something.

But I'm also leaning to thinking he really thought Hoyer was his guy... & that makes me sad.

The post you're responding to says...

& I can understand a person like you being upset with the way we've managed the QBs here over the last two years. Even the guys who wanted Garopolo, or Carr as well.

Though the Garopolo thing confuses me a little. When there was talk of the Texans taking Savage at #2, those who wanted Garopolo where absolutely against it. I'd imagine if we took Savage in the 3rd, they'd have been upset with that as well. I wasn't particularly high on Savage, but rumor was that O'Brien was. So as far as I'm concerned, he got his guy at a bargain. Probably even fooled two teams into taking a QB earlier than they needed to.

I was high on the prospect of what Mallett would bring. During that draft, I was as satisfied with Mallett as I would have been with any of the QBs that were taken in the first round (Bortles, JFF, & Bridgewater). But two years into it & it's clear that OB doesn't see anything in Mallett.

Either he's flat out wrong, or Belichick got over on us in that trade.

I expect to see a move to get a QB in the next offseason. Either OB finds a way to fall in love with a 1st rounder, or he makes a move to get his Schaub... two 2nds for Nassib or something.

But I'm also leaning to thinking he really thought Hoyer was his guy... & that makes me sad.

To be honest, I don't see OB drafting a QB in the 1st round. Even if Mallett busts this year. If that's the case he will just roll with Savage next year and bring in a vet backup. He seems to think he can make do at QB and wants to use the higher picks to shore up other positions.

We could easily have traded up two spots to take him. We didn't. He was right there for the taking.

You are ridiculous. Trading up to get someone is the complete OPPOSITE of someone "falling into our lap". Aaron Rodgers fell into the Packers lap. Richard Sherman fell into the Seahawks lap. Hell, you can say JJ Watt fell into our lap. Why? Because they were THERE for us like a nice little present.

And yeah I didn't even read the second part of his post because the first was so dumb.

What I don't get is his philosophy on players. He didn't like Keenum for the same reasons that most coaches don't like him - he's short. He let CJII go for the same reason. He drafted Savage because he thought he had the physical tools to be developed. He seems to place a premium on the physical tools. Yet here we have Mallett with a good set of physical traits for the position and he goes with Hoyer because .... well, I don't know why. And I get that these are back of the roster and/or lesser quality players, but that's where you learn a coach's philosophy the most. If a coach is going to make an exception to his general philosophy of size or speed or whatever, it's going to be for some rainmaker, not a back of the roster guy.

We didn't have Mallett until 4 mos. after that draft.

You are ridiculous. Trading up to get someone is the complete OPPOSITE of someone "falling into our lap". Aaron Rodgers fell into the Packers lap. Richard Sherman fell into the Seahawks lap. Hell, you can say JJ Watt fell into our lap. Why? Because they were THERE for us like a nice little present.

And yeah I didn't even read the second part of his post because the first was so dumb.

It's not dumb (ok maybe the word choice). But you are in a minority that thinks the Texans couldn't have gotten Bridgewater if they wanted.

If a guy who was considered a unanimous top-2 pick during the season falls to #32 because of one bad workout in shorts and you have pick #33 then yes, he fell right into your lap.

Every team in our division placed a high priority on finding their franchise quarterback high in the first round during the past three drafts. We're the only team that doesn't go with that method anymore. Bob McNair must still feel snake bitten from drafting David Carr number one overall in 2002, even though that has nothing to do with our current front office because he's not a hands-on owner.

You can't draft a quarterback in the fourth round and expect him to be "the guy." It would be nice if we found the next Tom Brady in the sixth round but that's highly unlikely. Scouts are too good these days. They study up on every little thing.

Cheater or not he's one of the best to ever lace 'em up. That video motivates me.

If a guy who was considered a unanimous top-2 pick during the season falls to #32 because of one bad workout in shorts and you have pick #33 then yes, he fell right into your lap.

If he was so unanimous how come nobody drafted him until #32?

And your point still makes zero sense, but whatever, be intentionally dense.

To be honest, I don't see OB drafting a QB in the 1st round. Even if Mallett busts this year. If that's the case he will just roll with Savage next year and bring in a vet backup. He seems to think he can make do at QB and wants to use the higher picks to shore up other positions.

I don't know about that. I've heard things that makes me believe this Hoyer thing has been two years in the making. There's a story by Mclain in particular, on one of his 610 appearances, he says while interviewing for another HC job he told his prospective employers, "If you really want to turn things around, you need to get Brian Hoyer... " or something along those lines.

Then we get Hoyer... OB may have been scheming to get him for the last two years for all I know & QB was never on his radar at the top of the draft.

Back