Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Nico Collins is a legit WR 1

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Starting someone shouldn’t be based on a feeling or what they think, but what they accomplish on the field during practices and Pre Season.
Simple

Play the best players

If Stroud isn't the best player he shouldn't start. If he doesn't start then Caserio should be fired. I'm just glad I'm not investing in the clown show anymore.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Resist.

I know it’s hard. You see stupidsht & you want to respond. You’re a man, it’s natural.

But try to be the bigger man. Try to elevate the conversation. Don’t be part of dragging all of us down to juvenile trope.

fight the urge, resist

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Simple

Play the best players

If Stroud isn't the best player he shouldn't start. If he doesn't start then Caserio should be fired. I'm just glad I'm not investing in the clown show anymore.
Man…that’s not on Caserio. That would be like saying the Chiefs, Patriots, Packers, etc should’ve fired their GM’s b/c Mahomes, Brady, Rodgers, etc weren’t the Day 1 starters the year they were drafted. Their approach has worked much better than any approach the Texans have taken…..which means I’d have no issue if this was Ryan’s approach.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
Man…that’s not on Caserio. That would be like saying the Chiefs, Patriots, Packers, etc should’ve fired their GM’s b/c Mahomes, Brady, Rodgers, etc weren’t the Day 1 starters the year they were drafted. Their approach has worked much better than any approach the Texans have taken…..which means I’d have no issue if this was Ryan’s approach.
I agree that Stroud should start. You can't compare those other situations because they had pro bowl caliber qbs in front of them. Also, neither were drafted #2. he days of a qb drafted top 5 not starting is over. Not to mention, its not like Case or Mills are long term answers.

Reactions: JB

OptimisticTexan

I agree that Stroud should start. You can't compare those other situations because they had pro bowl caliber qbs in front of them. Also, neither were drafted #2. he days of a qb drafted top 5 not starting is over. Not to mention, its not like Case or Mills are long term answers.
I’m good with Stroud starting as well….provided Ryans and Caserio are on board.

The moment Stroud was selected, Keenum and Mills became Bridge QB’s and/or Insurance Policy QB’s.

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
What approach is this?

Bottom line is, a QB drafted at 1-2 should be able to beat out the 32nd ranked QB.

None of it relates to that past anymore thankfully, but understand scaring it’s not easily forgotten. Regardless, Slowick will spread touches around, multiplicity. Be nice to create Metchie/Dell rub routes and keep defense from plugging running lanes. Nico sure looks like he will fill big play, X WR role.
We are expecting a better run offense out of Slowick. We felt the same about Pep Hamilton. Let's hope our optimism in regards to Slowick is not misguided.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
Its definitely a make or break year for Nico
Report out of OTAs are Nico is catching some laser throws from CJ. Hope it carries over to games. Nico 100% has the abilities. Also saw Xavier Hutchinson is really making some outstanding catches as well. If BOTH stay healthy we will have 2 young WRs who have both ability to catch, cut, read Ds, run and be shifty engaged to make them open often. You can't really cover both when you add in TEs and Robert Woods. The jury is out on Mechie as he tweaked a hamstring the other day. Heard he looks good...but on the rehab train for a few days (hope not longer or it's going to be a reoccurring issue).

DBCooper

Outlaw
Contributor's Club
Report out of OTAs are Nico is catching some laser throws from CJ. Hope it carries over to games. Nico 100% has the abilities. Also saw Xavier Hutchinson is really making some outstanding catches as well. If BOTH stay healthy we will have 2 young WRs who have both ability to catch, cut, read Ds, run and be shifty engaged to make them open often. You can't really cover both when you add in TEs and Robert Woods. The jury is out on Mechie as he tweaked a hamstring the other day. Heard he looks good...but on the rehab train for a few days (hope not longer or it's going to be a reoccurring issue).
Clutchinson!

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
You don't even mention Tank. It's Tank's world. We're just living in it.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
Besides qb, the hardest position to learn is wr. You have to read coverage, read release of cb, and run your route at proper depth. All of that within 3 steps. I didn't mention catch the ball with bodies in front of you. I view wr and pass catchers as a collective. Can you beat 1 on 1 coverage. All you need are guys who can do that. The run game can dictate coverage. It doesn't have to be a Randy Moss or Jerry Rice to dictate coverage.

banned1976

sleeper mode
You don't even mention Tank. It's Tank's world. We're just living in it.
The last time I remember seeing this kind of buzz over a rookie WR that just got here was with Keke Coutee in 2018. That guy ended getting waived in 2021 and is currently a free agent.

Texans fans seem to be a glutton for punishment when it comes to their expectations for mid to late round receivers. I'll be the first to say it, I'm excited to see what Tank can do but at the same time I don't think he's going to last long in the NFL.

Poor Nico's been replaced in the hearts and minds of most Texans fans.

I'm ready for the Texans to commit to the receiver room. Unfortunately, the 2023 draft was pretty weak in that regard.

Texansballer74

The Marine
The last time I remember seeing this kind of buzz over a rookie WR that just got here was with Keke Coutee in 2018. That guy ended getting waived in 2021 and is currently a free agent.

Texans fans seem to be a glutton for punishment when it comes to their expectations for mid to late round receivers. I'll be the first to say it, I'm excited to see what Tank can do but at the same time I don't think he's going to last long in the NFL.

Poor Nico's been replaced in the hearts and minds of most Texans fans.

I'm ready for the Texans to commit to the receiver room. Unfortunately, the 2023 draft was pretty weak in that regard.
The difference so far is Tank has a better work ethic and drive. Keke work ethic wasn’t good and his mind was somewhere else.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
He didn't miss a game in college. Makes me wonder if his injury history the last two years was more about the Texans training/medical staff than about him being injury prone.
This is fair, of course he sat out the Covid yr, so there is that.

Love your optimism.

littlezoso

Practice Squad
I fully agree if healthy he has everything.

I still believe this may be the most in-depth and honest analysis on Collins and honestly, it makes me believe he really can be that guy for the Texans. From the article:

"NFL wide receivers who caught nine or more contested catches last season, Nico Collins ranks number one with a 75% catch rate. That is higher than Justin Jefferson, Cooper Kupp, DK Metcalf, and Mike Evans. Those wideouts had more opportunities and total contested catches, but Collins was not given the same amount of opportunities. Collins was tied for the league lead with zero drops on the season, too."

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I still believe this may be the most in-depth and honest analysis on Collins and honestly, it makes me believe he really can be that guy for the Texans. From the article:

"NFL wide receivers who caught nine or more contested catches last season, Nico Collins ranks number one with a 75% catch rate. That is higher than Justin Jefferson, Cooper Kupp, DK Metcalf, and Mike Evans. Those wideouts had more opportunities and total contested catches, but Collins was not given the same amount of opportunities. Collins was tied for the league lead with zero drops on the season, too."
The biggest reason he didn't have the opportunities is his inability to stay healthy.

Number19

Hall of Fame

If you look at his injury history, there seems to be nothing serious. Last year, in October, he had a grade 1 groin pull, missing 2 games, and in December he had a "pedal foot" injury, missing or being held out of the final 5 games. The "pedal foot" may be the most concerning, having also missed games in '21 with the same injury (unknown if the same foot).

I don't find anything posted by CloakNNNdagger on the foot injury. I find this incourageing.

edit: He did not miss any games in '21 because of the foot "injury".

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Have you looked at his injury history? Nothing serious and CnD has had nothing to say to indicate any seriousness. He missed zero games in '21 with "pedal foot". So did he "miss" games on IR in '22 or was it simply an excuse to hold him out?
Nope, just saying that he needs to stay healthy if he's ever going to be considered a WR1 and I like Collins as a WR2.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
While true, I am hoping 2yrs of NFL level conditioning will make injuries few and far between. If not then we will not ever likely see what he "could be". And likely he will be a roster cut next year or the next
This year is definitely an important year for Collins.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
This year is definitely an important year for Collins.
Could not agree with you more. He has to play well, not All Pro, just well 50 catches and say 700 to 800 yards would surpass what he has done in 2 seasons. Injuries happen, but he can't miss more than probably 2 games max. Which is also better than previous years. See the article below for more on why this is NO Question a make or break year for Nico. As well as the example numbers I poster are much better than previous years.

Nope, just saying that he needs to stay healthy if he's ever going to be considered a WR1 and I like Collins as a WR2.
I can see Nico either as our #1 by the years end or a WR like Kevin Walter who was more of a possession receiver. Again, if injuries or poor play happen. I can see him let go or traded next FA/off season. I don’t think Ryans and staff want a warm body around who is always hurt or not producing. They could easily snag a WR in the draft next year in the 3rd or 4th who are as good or better than Nico has been thus far. I hope he can be good and stay healthy both as a Texans fan and a Michigan fan.

Last edited:

DBCooper

Outlaw
Contributor's Club
Could not agree with you more. He has to play well, not All Pro, just well 50 catches and say 700 to 800 yards would surpass what he has done in 2 seasons. Injuries happen, but he can't miss more than probably 2 games max. Which is also better than previous years. See the article below for more on why this is NO Question a make or break year for Nico. As well as the example numbers I poster are much better than previous years.

I can see Nico either as our #1 by the years end or a WR like Kevin Walter who was more of a possession receiver. Again, if injuries or poor play happen. I can see him let go or traded next FA/off season. I don’t think Ryans and staff want a warm body around who is always hurt or not producing. They could easily snag a WR in the draft next year in the 3rd or 4th who are as good or better than Nico has been thus far. I hope he can be good and stay healthy both as a Texans fan and a Michigan fan.
Yep

If he stays on the field he’ll do better.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

If Collins can't stay healthy, my dream draft/fa would be to sign Aiuuk in fa and draft Harrison. Weapons for Stroud to grow with.

Aiuuk, Harrison, Dell, Metchie and re- sign Schultz.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
If Collins can't stay healthy, my dream draft/fa would be to sign Aiuuk in fa and draft Harrison. Weapons for Stroud to grow with.

Aiuuk, Harrison, Dell, Metchie and re- sign Schultz.
Harrison is going to be a very high pick. If he can play in the NFL at the same level as in college he is a pro bowl guy. The question is if we drafted him, regardless of how Nico plays, what type pick range is he? That is barring injury and that he is able to adjust to NFL speed. Which I think are the 2 biggest factors for most positions. When we see drops or running a bad route, multiple times. I feel that it is a mental issue as well as physical at adjusting to the NFL over college.

According to this way too early article. He may go at #1 or #2. A spot that I honestly don't think we will be picking that early. Trade up? Maybe, but until games are played, we don't know what needs we will have or what our record will be. Even say 5 wins probably puts us in the top 10 picks, but not the top 2. That is IF the article becomes realistically possible.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Harrison is going to be a very high pick. If he can play in the NFL at the same level as in college he is a pro bowl guy. The question is if we drafted him, regardless of how Nico plays, what type pick range is he? That is barring injury and that he is able to adjust to NFL speed. Which I think are the 2 biggest factors for most positions. When we see drops or running a bad route, multiple times. I feel that it is a mental issue as well as physical at adjusting to the NFL over college.

According to this way too early article. He may go at #1 or #2. A spot that I honestly don't think we will be picking that early. Trade up? Maybe, but until games are played, we don't know what needs we will have or what our record will be. Even say 5 wins probably puts us in the top 10 picks, but not the top 2. That is IF the article becomes realistically possible.

If the Texans were to get a top 3 pick from the Browns impending implosion i’d want them to trade down and get another first in the future. Keep the multiple first round pick train rolling. Harrison looks great, but a lot of WRs coming up this year do. I’d like to get one with an additional first as well if possible.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

I've got Williams, Maye, then Harrison.

I'm hoping Derrick breaks his freaking neck and Harrison is the pick after trading down from 1-1.

edo783

Hall of Fame
I'm expecting the Browns to be considerably better this next season. We should probably be prepared to pick in the 15-22 range. I don't think that we would spend the draft capital to move from there to the 5-10 range to get one of the Premier wide outs. I would like us to get a 6.2 + tall receiver with 4.3-4.42 speed. Good hands would be nice of course. I'm just not sure if such an animal would be available to get.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I'm expecting the Browns to be considerably better this next season. We should probably be prepared to pick in the 15-22 range. I don't think that we would spend the draft capital to move from there to the 5-10 range to get one of the Premier wide outs. I would like us to get a 6.2 + tall receiver with 4.3-4.42 speed. Good hands would be nice of course. I'm just not sure if such an animal would be available to get.
I would spend the draft capital to get MHJR. That dude is going to be special.

OptimisticTexan

MHJR is going to be special, but the Texans won’t be in a position to draft him. Anyone stop to wonder why the Cardinals demanded the Texans pick over the Browns?

I see both teams coming in with roughly 6 to 9 wins which means neither team will be picking in the top two slots.