Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Nico Collins is a legit WR 1

Number19

Hall of Fame

20 for 30 is #4 all time. Keeping between 18 and 20 completions puts him between 60 and 66.67%. The elusive 70% record shattering completion percentage would be 21 completions. I could see him doing that for a handful of games. But not over a 17 game season. Because it’s never happened and I don’t project record breaking numbers.

I thought I was being a kool aid drinker with that projection!

Fun fact: Mills is #3 in NFL history with 66.8%!
Didn't know that about Mills. Whatever was his problem last year (possibly all in his head), if he is back to his 2021 form, could be a good fit for the short/intermediate passing game we're expecting from Slowik. Could present the possibility of not starting Stroud right away; and would increase Mills' trade value.

ArmyBengal

Retired Army Medical NCO
Ok, I love Stroud, but "expecting" 70% is pretty lofty, regardless of how accurate he was in college.
There were only 4 QB's in the league last year to post a percentage more than 68%, with none of them hitting 70%.
Geno Smith was the closest at 69.8%.

A rookie QB, with all new coaches and players, joining a team that was all but the worst team in 2022 ??
If he's throwing 70% in 2023, there need to be projections of the playoffs in Houston.
Just saying...

Didn't know that about Mills. Whatever was his problem last year (possibly all in his head), if he is back to his 2021 form, could be a good fit for the short/intermediate passing game we're expecting from Slowik. Could present the possibility of not starting Stroud right away; and would increase Mills' trade value.
That might also push CJ to improve and learn the scheme quicker. It'd definitely be more of a competition if CJ were trying to beat out the 2021 version of Mills vs last year's version.

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
The QB needs to be good at play action and making the running and passing plays look the same. The Giraffe never did a good play fake, so I suspect CJ can outdo him there. I just cannot see DM getting materially better, he lacks the it factor for sure. I hope he looks good in pre-season to keep up a competition and raise trade stock, but betting on DM has been fools gold. I was actually ok when he was drafter, NC needed to find some talent in the third and he seemed boom/bust material with his lack of experience

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I didn’t want to draft a QB because I don’t believe the team is ready, with all the new players & 1st time coordinator, etc…

& that’s the only reason I would want to see Mills, if the coaches can’t get the offense on the same page by the time the regular season starts. I think the more crap a young QB has to overcome trying to develop while the offense itself is trying to develop, the more he’s going to pick up bad habits to survive & the less he’ll be able to concentrate on leading & winning

badboy

Hall of Fame
Ok, I love Stroud, but "expecting" 70% is pretty lofty, regardless of how accurate he was in college.
There were only 4 QB's in the league last year to post a percentage more than 68%, with none of them hitting 70%.
Geno Smith was the closest at 69.8%.

A rookie QB, with all new coaches and players, joining a team that was all but the worst team in 2022 ??
If he's throwing 70% in 2023, there need to be projections of the playoffs in Houston.
Just saying...
I think you and others may be looking at Stroud differently than I am. Other QBs last season were not playing it safe; they were taking risks; aiming for playoffs or a trade or a contract. Trying to make a roster, moving team further. JC will do some of the latter but he won't be taking risks. He will not focus on rings, making roster or standings. He will focus on his coaches and game plan. He will be learning where his targets want the ball and what they can do. I doubt he will think much on his line other than how long each can stave off gorillas.

I see Slowik giving him high percentage plays to build his confidence and ease him in. Sure, there will be one or two deep throws to test him and spread the D. Short to mid range passes but run game will control and use the clock.

Or...

Stroud will be a gunslinger 50 passes.
What the heck do I know?

badboy

Hall of Fame
That might also push CJ to improve and learn the scheme quicker. It'd definitely be more of a competition if CJ were trying to beat out the 2021 version of Mills vs last year's version.
Nah, # 2 pick and new millionaire who knows he is one of the 'twin' faces of team doesn’t need any incentive to learn scheme. He might need Mills to show him where food is served and the showers..

badboy

Hall of Fame
Xavier and Nico have all the ability. Nico didn't stay healthy or have a good QB. And of course it is Xaviers rookie season. I really think our WR group is better than anyone is giving us credit for. Basically in Nico and Xavier we have to taller, heavier WRs who show good speed, awareness and hands. 2 potential difference makers, our true slot guys Dell and if he is ok Metchie. And then we have other players who have shown ability. And Woods no question is the senior WR and locker room leader.

I will try to find the article I read that showed just why our WRs cout be the sleeper group of the NFL
We might need two slots for banging received in middle.

Nah, # 2 pick and new millionaire who knows he is one of the 'twin' faces of team doesn’t need any incentive to learn scheme. He might need Mills to show him where food is served and the showers..
They can compete for the last jello in the cafeteria in that case :)

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
I didn’t want to draft a QB because I don’t believe the team is ready, with all the new players & 1st time coordinator, etc…

& that’s the only reason I would want to see Mills, if the coaches can’t get the offense on the same page by the time the regular season starts. I think the more crap a young QB has to overcome trying to develop while the offense itself is trying to develop, the more he’s going to pick up bad habits to survive & the less he’ll be able to concentrate on leading & winning
How do they get "ready" without a QB?

And when do you think they'd be ready? '24? '25? So you want them to get ready, then bring in a rookie QB that may take a couple of years to get ready himself?

Stroud will take his lumps this year, like most rookies do, in a season the Texans won't be "ready" in and when they start to get ready, they'll already have their QB that will be a season or 2 into having the game slow down for him and a much better understanding of the NFL game. Sounds like perfect timing to me. Provided he turns out to be a decent QB, that is. Not a guarantee.

ArmyBengal

Retired Army Medical NCO
I think you and others may be looking at Stroud differently than I am. Other QBs last season were not playing it safe; they were taking risks; aiming for playoffs or a trade or a contract. Trying to make a roster, moving team further. JC will do some of the latter but he won't be taking risks. He will not focus on rings, making roster or standings. He will focus on his coaches and game plan. He will be learning where his targets want the ball and what they can do. I doubt he will think much on his line other than how long each can stave off gorillas.

I see Slowik giving him high percentage plays to build his confidence and ease him in. Sure, there will be one or two deep throws to test him and spread the D. Short to mid range passes but run game will control and use the clock.

Or...

Stroud will be a gunslinger 50 passes.
What the heck do I know?
I don't think I'm looking at Stroud differently, so to speak, I think I'm looking at everything that plays into him being able to have a completion rate that high. As I mentioned, he's with a new team and a whole new coaching staff and the increased speed of the NFL. All of those things work against him, and every new QB, before he even has to get into learning an entirely new playbook and building rapport with his teammates. I'm not saying he won't be able to do those things and I still expect him to have a decent completion rate. Burrow was at 65% his rookie year. Josh Allen was at 52.8%.

My point to, and the importance of, calling out 70% and it's correlation to the playoffs is that in the HISTORY OF THE NFL, there have only been 18 instances where a QB finished the season at 70% or higher. 7 of those instances belonged to one QB (Brees), so 12 QB's total have accomplished that feat. In all, but 4, of those instances, the QB hitting that mark took their team to the playoffs. They literally go hand in hand and I have yet to hear anyone on this board seriously think the Texans are going to make the playoffs this season.

Again, don't get me wrong, I hope like hell that Stroud hits 70% or higher, but to expect it might be expecting a bit much of the rookie.
What the heck do any of us know? It's just guesses at this point.

ArmyBengal

Retired Army Medical NCO
An interesting tidbit about the 70% completion mark since I'm both a Bengals and Texans fan...
The last two times a QB has hit 70% in a season was in 2021 (Burrow, Cincinnati) and 2020 (Watson, Houston).

There 2 more in 2020, but I dismiss them because my interesting tidbit becomes, well... less interesting.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I don't think I'm looking at Stroud differently, so to speak, I think I'm looking at everything that plays into him being able to have a completion rate that high. As I mentioned, he's with a new team and a whole new coaching staff and the increased speed of the NFL. All of those things work against him, and every new QB, before he even has to get into learning an entirely new playbook and building rapport with his teammates. I'm not saying he won't be able to do those things and I still expect him to have a decent completion rate. Burrow was at 65% his rookie year. Josh Allen was at 52.8%.

My point to, and the importance of, calling out 70% and it's correlation to the playoffs is that in the HISTORY OF THE NFL, there have only been 18 instances where a QB finished the season at 70% or higher. 7 of those instances belonged to one QB (Brees), so 12 QB's total have accomplished that feat. In all, but 4, of those instances, the QB hitting that mark took their team to the playoffs. They literally go hand in hand and I have yet to hear anyone on this board seriously think the Texans are going to make the playoffs this season.

Again, don't get me wrong, I hope like hell that Stroud hits 70% or higher, but to expect it might be expecting a bit much of the rookie.
What the heck do any of us know? It's just guesses at this point.
Agree but i am claiming Stroud will be a non-historical QB.

badboy

Hall of Fame
An interesting tidbit about the 70% completion mark since I'm both a Bengals and Texans fan...
The last two times a QB has hit 70% in a season was in 2021 (Burrow, Cincinnati) and 2020 (Watson, Houston).

There 2 more in 2020, but I dismiss them because my interesting tidbit becomes, well... less interesting.
Most of us leave out facts even if tidbits so you can feel right at home! 😉

KA4Texan

Woof!
Contributor's Club
Well, technically he is already part of Texans history.

Whether he is the part of remembered or forgotten history is yet to be seen .. *cough* excuse me.... forgot what thread I was in.... I mean... scene.

ArmyBengal

Retired Army Medical NCO
Agree but i am claiming Stroud will be a non-historical QB.
Remains to be seen.
I hate to keep going back to Burrow, but MANY people thought he was a product of all the talent LSU had that year, which was in fact ridiculolus.
Many thought Cincinnati was just a black hole of a football organization, a point I wouldn't have necessarily argued about.
To see him come into Cincinnati with a 2nd year coach (Zac Taylor) that most people had never heard of and then have his knee imploded his rookie year seemed to confirm the Bengals were in fact snake bit. Then something amazing happened. Burrow was not only a great QB, but a QB leader, who put the team on his shoulders and took them to the Super Bowl in his second season and had them at the door last year, with back to back appearances in the AFCCG. NO ONE saw that coming. Not a single soul.

The thing I like about Stroud is I don't think he has those leadership abilities about his as well.
I'm excited being a fan of both teams !!

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Mock all you want..... but Jeff Bozos owes his fortune to the internet!

Without the internet he never would have built his space ship shaped like a penis.

Jeff Bozos is a rocket man.
I thought that was Elon Musk

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
How do they get "ready" without a QB?
With a more experienced QB.
And when do you think they'd be ready? '24? '25?
If Slowick is good at his job it may be after 4 or 5 games. If we fire him like the Chargers fired Lombardi after one season, '24 will be another wasted season.
24? '25? So you want them to get ready, then bring in a rookie QB that may take a couple of years to get ready himself?
Demeco has 6 years. We could get to a winning season with a guy like Case Keenum. May even get to the AFCCG if Demeco could bring in that SF defense & run game.

But yes, if it takes two years it takes two years. Bring in rookie QB a couple of years later they're true contenders & it's time to extend DeMeco
Stroud will take his lumps this year, like most rookies do, in a season the Texans won't be "ready" in and when they start to get ready, they'll already have their QB that will be a season or 2 into having the game slow down for him and a much better understanding of the NFL game. Sounds like perfect timing to me.
I'm hoping it works out that way.
Provided he turns out to be a decent QB, that is. Not a guarantee.
I think it's more than just the QB. They don't develop in a bubble. We're where we're at. I hope it works out. At the very least I hope the fundamentals improve so if we're drafting a QB 3 or 4 years from now that I would be a better environment for a young QB to develop.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Remains to be seen.
I hate to keep going back to Burrow, but MANY people thought he was a product of all the talent LSU had that year, which was in fact ridiculolus.
Many thought Cincinnati was just a black hole of a football organization, a point I wouldn't have necessarily argued about.
To see him come into Cincinnati with a 2nd year coach (Zac Taylor) that most people had never heard of and then have his knee imploded his rookie year seemed to confirm the Bengals were in fact snake bit. Then something amazing happened. Burrow was not only a great QB, but a QB leader, who put the team on his shoulders and took them to the Super Bowl in his second season and had them at the door last year, with back to back appearances in the AFCCG. NO ONE saw that coming. Not a single soul.

The thing I like about Stroud is I don't think he has those leadership abilities about his as well.

Remains to be seen.

Perhaps in 2024 Stroud will get his Chase.

Last edited:

badboy

Hall of Fame
With a more experienced QB.

If Slowick is good at his job it may be after 4 or 5 games. If we fire him like the Chargers fired Lombardi after one season, '24 will be another wasted season.

Demeco has 6 years. We could get to a winning season with a guy like Case Keenum. May even get to the AFCCG if Demeco could bring in that SF defense & run game.

But yes, if it takes two years it takes two years. Bring in rookie QB a couple of years later they're true contenders & it's time to extend DeMeco

I'm hoping it works out that way.

I think it's more than just the QB. They don't develop in a bubble. We're where we're at. I hope it works out. At the very least I hope the fundamentals improve so if we're drafting a QB 3 or 4 years from now that I would be a better environment for a young QB to develop.
On the bright side I guess, If we are drafting a franchise quarterback 4 years from now we should save a lot of money not having to extend JC Stroud. We could put that savings towards our offensive line who would all be renewing.
🤔

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
Remains to be seen.

Really good post. You should post more often.

Reactions: JB

mussop

Hall of Fame
I dont think that he's going to take a pounding behind the OL. They will run the ball a lot and only throw the ball about 30 times per game at most. They can run the offense like Kubiak did with Schaub and not allow Stroud to audible out of plays. In short dumb down the offense for Stroud. They need to play the QB that gives them the best chance to win. No excuses.
Why would they need to dumb it down? And yeah there are many things working against Stroud that’s out of his control. So you can say no excuses all you want but that’s really just for you. New system, new first time OC who’s never called plays before. New first time head coach. Weak WR group with a bunch of slot guys and no real #1. Still no true C. A LG coming off a terrible rookie campaign. Pff no excuses. Oh and his defense was complete trash last year so he’s probably going to have to score a ton to win games.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Why would they need to dumb it down? And yeah there are many things working against Stroud that’s out of his control. So you can say no excuses all you want but that’s really just for you. New system, new first time OC who’s never called plays before. New first time head coach. Weak WR group with a bunch of slot guys and no real #1. Still no true C. A LG coming off a terrible rookie campaign. Pff no excuses. Oh and his defense was complete trash last year so he’s probably going to have to score a ton to win games.
Let's not say dumb it down. Let's say refine to serve our QB the best as we thought before the draft when we knew that Slowik was probably bringing same efforts that helped Mr Irrelevant become the starter. 30 passes a game is target I have and at 69% (JCs last 2 season avg) pretty awesome!

We chose that "weak" receiver group. If Scruggs, Dieter and Patterson are not true centers why the heck are they on the roster?

An LG as you say for whom no backup was drafted when we could have.

The terrible defense we had we no longer have..
1.3 alone changed that excuse. No excuses but maybe some reasons.

We will [pun intended 😜] be better; so will QB, how much we will have to wait and see. No grumbling needed because Caserio didn't do what we wanted. Wait until player messes up.. then fairly.. critique.

mussop

Hall of Fame
Let's not say dumb it down. Let's say refine to serve our QB the best as we thought before the draft when we knew that Slowik was probably bringing same efforts that helped Mr Irrelevant become the starter. 30 passes a game is target I have and at 69% (JCs last 2 season avg) pretty awesome!

this is a QB friendly offense

We chose that "weak" receiver group.

meaning what? Because we chose them their somehow good?

If Scruggs, Dieter and Patterson are not true centers why the heck are they on the roster?

By true I mean legit starting center. We will see if any are. As of now we dont know if any will be good.

An LG as you say for whom no backup was drafted when we could have.

you make a lot of assumptions. And we did sign a FA LG who has a better chance of staring than Green at this point.

The terrible defense we had we no longer have..

again you assume. I’m waiting to see it before I declare it.

1.3 alone changed that excuse. No excuses but maybe some reasons.

Will Anderson is a good player but he’s not Superman.

We will [pun intended 😜] be better; so will QB, how much we will have to wait and see. No grumbling needed because Caserio didn't do what we wanted. Wait until player messes up.. then fairly.. critique.
has nothing to do with them not drafting the players I wanted. We sucked to high heaven last year and the main core of this team is the same. On top of that we have a lot of new coaches who have never been in this situation before. There are tons of unknowns and until they actually do something other than look good to the kool aid drinkers I’m going to be skeptical.

there is a lot to overcome. I remember alot of people singing pep Hamiltons praises last year at this time. How did that turn out?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Draft position shouldn't dictate whether someone "has to start". Being ready to start should dictate whether or not a player starts or not.
Play the best players.

If Stroud is the man they think he is, then he should start.