Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Bradley Roby Traded to Saints

DBCooper

Outlaw
Contributor's Club
I love analogies.

Caserio is the power company trying to get electricity turned back on after Hurricane's Bill and Easterby swept through Houston. The fly in the ointment are the tornadoes swirling around Deshaun Watson. With a "real" GM here now, Hurricane Easterby has been downgraded to a tropical storm but he's still dumping rain on us.

I'm like you, I'm waiting to see how this all pans out. That said, I'm not going to ignore Caserio's "busy work". I don't know if he's making things better or worse. Well, I know the roster is worse with the trading of Roby. But I don't think losing him moves the needle much, if any. The Texans defense is going to possibly be historically bad and the offense will probably be not far behind them.

Next year is going to be crucial for the Texans and Caserio. Power will either be restored or we'll be bracing for another storm.
It’s going to be hard to tell until he cleans up the mess and has a plethora of draft picks and cap space to play with for awhile.

Dejaview

All Pro
About the compensation for Roby, analysis of draft picks over the last 10 years tell us the Texans will have around a 38% chance of drafting a starter (a pretty low bar) with the pick they receive in the 3rd round. You either like those odds or you don't.
wonder What the odds are for a first rounder that failed to live up to everyone’s expectations? We got at least a third rounder for a player Denver chose with a first round pick (John Fox said he probably dropped in the first round due to character issues….DUI, battery, etc) then didn’t ever try to trade him later. That’s odd. I’ll take those odds.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
You don't know this either.

Apparently you don't believe Cal when he said Caserio will be over all things in the football operations side of the team.

So far I've seen nothing to make me think Cal wasn't being truthful.

Fact is some are having issues with the way Caserio is going about cleaning out the roster. I get it, some people don't like change.

Then you have the I hate everything Foxboro crowd, in a addition to the 3rd string QB only fans
Let's look at facts instead of conjecture and wishful thinking:

Who is the current Executive Vice President of Football Operations?

Who acted as interim GM after O'Brien was fired?

Who is seen in all the draft war room photos?

Who has the ear of both Janice and Cal McNair and is pumping his version of "culture" into the NRG air ducts?

Who is BFF with Nick Caserio, who said Jack is "gifted" and "important" to their plan?

Who blatantly lied on his resume after portraying himself as a lowly preacher counselor?

What NFL front office executive was on the cover of Sports Illustrated because he's a walking scandal?

The answer is simple, and you know it.

These are all facts, man. How you go from criticizing this franchise with the vitriol you've spewed in this forum for years to carrying their water is bizarre, to say the least. But you do you. That you are vehemently defending a McNair decision is laughable after all you've said about them.

Even IF Jack is not involved in personnel decision with regards to talent evaluation, he's certainly influential on the types of personalities, attitudes, and various other aspects of individual players that the Texans might pursue.

And that's enough influence that should give an Texans fan the heeby-jeebies.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I'm sure Easterby has a seat at the table, but according to Cal Caserio will be making the final calls.
And that's all that I've been freakin' saying. I NEVER implied that Easterby was making the actual final decisions, but that his influence is in the building and is clearly in the ears of the owners of the owners and GM.

Y'all need to pay attention to actual words written, because they are intentional with regards to the actual freakin' point I'm making.

And if you think Easterby's influence is O.K., that's fine. We just have a difference of opinion.

I just don't think he is qualified in any sort of way to be a major part of an NFL front office. My opinion is based on the reality of his lackluster and inexperienced resume.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Easterby doesn’t have any say.
According to Nick he does. He's got a seat at the boardroom based on his position in the franchise. as well.

If you actually believe that this Easterby "culture" focus has no bearing on the talent they choose to bring to the table, I don't think we can even find a middle ground on this one, with all due respect.

Texansballer74

The Marine
According to Nick he does. He's got a seat at the boardroom based on his position in the franchise. as well.

If you actually believe that this Easterby "culture" focus has no bearing on the talent they choose to bring to the table, I don't think we can even find a middle ground on this one, with all due respect.
I haven’t heard him say that and again when was the last time you heard from Easterby?

sandman

Brexit Advisor
Then by all accounts and using the same reasoning, the Texans two 3rd RD draft picks from this year should be starting this year and they are not.
He said "pretty good chance" and you said "should be", which is not the same reasoning.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
It would be pretty similar to this. We got nothing for Roby. We paid $7M for a 3rd round pick.
W
And that's all that I've been freakin' saying. I NEVER implied that Easterby was making the actual final decisions, but that his influence is in the building and is clearly in the ears of the owners of the owners and GM.

Y'all need to pay attention to actual words written, because they are intentional with regards to the actual freakin' point I'm making.

And if you think Easterby's influence is O.K., that's fine. We just have a difference of opinion.

I just don't think he is qualified in any sort of way to be a major part of an NFL front office. My opinion is based on the reality of his lackluster and inexperienced resume.
Unless you think Cal is lying, he said Caserio was in charge of all football decisions. God I hope Cal wasn't lying.

TK you're right Caserio bought a pick and the Saints took next year's Roby and his contract

Plus the Texans get a 2023 6th.

To me talent wise Roby is worth a 3rd pre steroids not so much post steroids. I admire that you think he will stay PED free. I wouldn't be willing to take the risk you are.

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Let's look at facts instead of conjecture and wishful thinking:

Who is the current Executive Vice President of Football Operations?

Who acted as interim GM after O'Brien was fired?

Who is seen in all the draft war room photos?

Who has the ear of both Janice and Cal McNair and is pumping his version of "culture" into the NRG air ducts?

Who is BFF with Nick Caserio, who said Jack is "gifted" and "important" to their plan?

Who blatantly lied on his resume after portraying himself as a lowly preacher counselor?

What NFL front office executive was on the cover of Sports Illustrated because he's a walking scandal?

The answer is simple, and you know it.

These are all facts, man. How you go from criticizing this franchise with the vitriol you've spewed in this forum for years to carrying their water is bizarre, to say the least. But you do you. That you are vehemently defending a McNair decision is laughable after all you've said about them.

Even IF Jack is not involved in personnel decision with regards to talent evaluation, he's certainly influential on the types of personalities, attitudes, and various other aspects of individual players that the Texans might pursue.

And that's enough influence that should give an Texans fan the heeby-jeebies.
While I agree with most of your post, being a fan, I'm hoping that Easterby/Caserio , Easterby will just be a conduit of Caserio's wishes to Cal.

That's the best we can hope for, you can debate this if you wish, but if what I'm hoping happens doesn't happen Texan fans are going to be screwed for the foreseeable future.

badboy

Hall of Fame
So normally if you trade a player with a $9M salary before the season, $9M comes off the books this year & frees up his salary in consecutive seasons.

So what you said, taking $7M hit this year year & freeing more money next season was already the case. There is no benefit for the Texans. In fact, it hurts. We could have pushed the saved $9M salary into next season. As it stands that dropped to $2M because the Texans agreed to pay $7M of his 2021 salary.

Why?

The Texans should have been able to get the Saints compensatory 3rd for Roby. Straight up. If that's the pick we end up getting after paying $7M of that salary, then no... it's a bad deal all around.

You basically bought a 2023 6th round pick for the same money you just spent for a 2022 6th round pick.
Prior to the trade the saints did not have the cap space to make a straight-up trade for a third-round pick. The only way that deal was going through was for Texas to eat the salary. Most of the Saints players have already been adjusted to lower cap space.

badboy

Hall of Fame
The Saints has got a starting CB.
Will the Texans get one next yeat with a 3rd and some 12.5M?
(2.5M saving this year and $10M would be salary for Roby next year).

If the Texans can't find his replacement, it's a loss - a fairly sizable loss.

It's not that easy to find a capable CB.
I think there is a possibility that capable corner is Xavien Howard. Time will tell.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Texans need all the picks they can get and there isn't a player on this roster that should be deemed untouchable.

The true test in Caserio's tenure is what he does with the picks that is going to determine if he sucks or not.
I don't think anyone is saying that Roby was untouchable just saying he was touched too soon. You're not going to get much fw¼or him the week before game 1. As the season progresses more and more corners will go down and the need will go up.

Last edited:

badboy

Hall of Fame
No offense, but that's a halfazed way to look at it. You need draft picks & you need money. If you're throwing away money when you don't have it, you won't have any when you need it.

Back in the day when you couldn't carry it over I could see some cavalier spending. But now when you can roll that over year after year... doesn't make sense to pay $7M one week to get a 6th round pick in 2022, then spend $7M to buy a 6th round pick in 2023 the next.
Just a guess on my part but I believe Nick's plan is to stay away from high dollar free agents for the next two years.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Except for Texansballer.

I honestly don't know if Easterby has no say, a little say, or a lot of say in the recent personnel decisions. But what I do know is that ever since he arrived, the Texans front office has made one misstep after another. They have drafted poorly, they have made lopsided trades to the advantage of the other guys, and they've gotten rid of some key personnel that had been with the team a number of years that reported to the Executive VP of Football Operations - Jack Easterby.

Nobody can convince me Jack Easterby has had no part in the swift collapse of this team.

I don't hold any personal animosity towards Jack Easterby. I just want everyone that played a part in wrecking this team gone. Which is why I'm glad Roby's gone. I never thought of him as one of those stabilizing guys that was to mentor all the young guys that will be coming aboard to compete over the next few years. I never saw him as a good transitional player.

Next guy that needs to be traded is Tunsil.
Tunsil? Crap! You are beginning to sound like that bad boy character.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Maybe the Saints need Nick Caserio as their GM? Because even Nick knows how to restructure salaries to get cap space. Come on, you guys know better than make these ridiculous statements.

Maybe. But, Roby was still the best CB the Texans had. The worst roster in the NFL just got worse.

And you still don't think this team is tanking. LOL.

Because there has never been an exorcism to rid the Texans of Bill O'Brien's spirit.
If I remember correctly that the New Orleans Saints have already restructured all of their players except for maybe two? They do not need Nick to restructure any contracts.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Caserio stepped into a devastation. I don’t know if he’ll be good at this now or not, but the goals he’s trying to accomplish are very clear.

1. Field a team from the destruction wrought forth by Tommy Boy, Wormtongue, and Tweedle Dum. (Not to mention our only great player literally showing his ass and then quitting on the
team)

2. Clear future cap space because of the horrible GM skills of Tweedle Dum.

3. Stockpile high draft picks to build through future draft.

He’s hiring all JAG players on short term deals so that later on after this mess is somewhat cleaned he can draft and hire free agents whom he likes.

I’m going to just watch him do his thing for now.
I am still hopeful and waiting for number three.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Interesting in that the Broncos don't expect Bridgewater to play this season?
Bridgewater is the Broncos starting QB. He’s a low end QB 1/high end QB 2.

Roby is a low end #1 CB and high end #2 CB.

Both teams paid 7 million to facilitate a trade. But the Texans got a 3rd and conditional 6 whereas the Broncos got just a 6. Even though Bridgewater will have the greater impact on the team’s win/loss total because he is the starting QB rather than CB.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
About the compensation for Roby, analysis of draft picks over the last 10 years tell us the Texans will have around a 38% chance of drafting a starter (a pretty low bar) with the pick they receive in the 3rd round. You either like those odds or you don't.
Which is why I would trade up.

With the Texans history in the 3rd Rd, I'm trading up.

Jack Burton

Veteran
The Texans are working out corner Dre Kirkpatrick. He struggled in coverage for most of last season. His PFF rating was 49, ranking 105th out of 121 qualified cCBs. His PFF coverage grade was 46.1, as he allowed the fourth-highest completion percentage (66 percent) out of the 15 players with at least 94 targets.
Good. I want HOU to have the 1st pick in the next draft.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Prior to the trade the saints did not have the cap space to make a straight-up trade for a third-round pick. The only way that deal was going through was for Texas to eat the salary. Most of the Saints players have already been adjusted to lower cap space.
I feel for them, truly I do. But it seems to me they wanted, needed this trade more than we did.

As been mentioned if we're paying $7M, what's the difference if we wait until April, & get a 4th?

But... I get it. I've been too wrapped up in myself, as if I know how to run an NFL franchise.

Forgive me my brothers.

From now on, I'm on the Nick can do no wrong train.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I think there is a possibility that capable corner is Xavien Howard. Time will tell.
Can't wait for Nick to land him with a 3rd round pick & make the Dolphins eat $7M of his salary.

Wait a minute, he's much better than Roby, maybe they'll eat $12M.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Just a guess on my part but I believe Nick's plan is to stay away from high dollar free agents for the next two years.
& we can roll that money over for two or three years. Imagine having a solid core of 25-30 newly drafted players & $175M (or whatever number floats your boat).

I don't mind spending money. Just think we should get good value in return. Roby & $7M should get more than a 3rd & future conditional 6th.

But... like I said, I was misguided, thinking I was an NFL GM. Nick is, I'm not.... it's all good.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I feel for them, truly I do. But it seems to me they wanted, needed this trade more than we did.

As been mentioned if we're paying $7M, what's the difference if we wait until April, & get a 4th?

But... I get it. I've been too wrapped up in myself, as if I know how to run an NFL franchise.

Forgive me my brothers.

Just to clarify I am on your side concerning this trade.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club

Forgive me my brothers.

:toropalm:

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Roby was a disruptive force last year, but equally so for our defense as for opposing offenses. Because of repeated extreme disagreements with the defensive coaching staff over coverage philosophies, practices were negatively affected with at least 1 entirely cancelled due to his antics. He was "invited" after 1 incident to stay behind on a road game, with little public explanation. It was this pattern of actions that made him "expendable."

badboy

Hall of Fame
Can't wait for Nick to land him with a 3rd round pick & make the Dolphins eat $7M of his salary.

Wait a minute, he's much better than Roby, maybe they'll eat $12M.
In a trade Dolphins will eat 4.2 Million Dead money but I doubt they will anything of his salary.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Smh... I didn't know he was the Broncos starting QB. I'm shaking my head because he's the best they got.

They must be in tank mode.
They’ve got a talented roster. Will employ a similar run heavy, don’t make mistakes, win with defense gameplan the Texans will… albeit with a more talented roster across the board.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Then you don't do a deal with the New Orleans Saints.

Like I said somewhwere around here, this smells of a "culture" move and they were getting rid of him no matter what.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Then you don't do a deal with the New Orleans Saints.

Like I said somewhwere around here, this smells of a "culture" move and they were getting rid of him no matter what.
I definitely agree about not making the trade but I'm not so much into all this cultural noise.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
Roby was a disruptive force last year, but equally so for our defense as for opposing offenses. Because of repeated extreme disagreements with the defensive coaching staff over coverage philosophies, practices were negatively affected with at least 1 entirely cancelled due to his antics. He was "invited" after 1 incident to stay behind on a road game, with little public explanation. It was this pattern of actions that made him "expendable."
That might be true. However, none of last year's defensive coaching staff is still here. I would assume Lovie would be more respected than Weaver and can handle a player like Roby. So, did he continue this pattern of actions with the new coaching staff? If not, wouldn't he have started with a clean slate? Who on staff is still around to tell the new coaching staff about his disagreements with the previous defensive coaches?

Last edited:

Number19

Hall of Fame
That might be true. However, none of last year's defensive coaching staff is still here. I would assume Lovie would be more respected than Weaver. So, did he continue this pattern of actions with the new coaching staff? If not, wouldn't he have started with a clean slate? Who on staff is still around to tell the new coaching staff about his previous patterns with the previous defensive coaches?
No, his behavior reveals his character. I hazard a guess that he did not fit the Texans' new culture.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
No, his behavior reveals his character. I hazard a guess that he did not fit the Texans' new culture.
That’s my point and guess too. To my knowledge. He didn’t have these issues in Denver with Wade Phillips or even Romeo Crennel. He had them with Weaver and/or the previous DB coach.

So, let’s call it what it is. He wasn’t a culture fit and to get rid of him, the Texans were willing to eat $7 million.

I could even understand not wanting him on the team due to the PED suspension. I don’t get the spin about previous behavior with the previous coaching staff

Last edited:
That might be true. However, none of last year's defensive coaching staff is still here. I would assume Lovie would be more respected than Weaver and can handle a player like Roby. So, did he continue this pattern of actions with the new coaching staff? If not, wouldn't he have started with a clean slate? Who on staff is still around to tell the new coaching staff about his disagreements with the previous defensive coaches?
Not that I'm disagreeing with your point but there is someone still around: This Guy Here

otisbean

Veteran
Contributor's Club
That’s my point and guess too. To my knowledge. He didn’t have these issues in Denver with Wade Phillips or even Romeo Crennel. He had them with Weaver and/or the previous DB coach.

So, let’s call it what it is. He wasn’t a culture fit and to get rid of him, the Texans were willing to eat $7 million.

I could even understand not wanting him on the team due to the PED suspension. I don’t get the spin about previous behavior with the previous coaching staff
Listening to Payne and Pendergast yesterday morning, Seth insinuated Roby had been a malcontent this training camp. I can’t blame Roby, if I were him I rather finish my career elsewhere too. I also don’t blame the Texans for getting rid of him.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Lol, Jack Easterby so friken owns you!!!
Funny, I've always thought the same about you.
Listening to Payne and Pendergast yesterday morning, Seth insinuated Roby had been a malcontent this training camp. I can’t blame Roby, if I were him I rather finish my career elsewhere too. I also don’t blame the Texans for getting rid of him.
I wouldn't blame the Texans for trading Roby even if he were a model citizen. It's dumping him as damaged goods, rather than getting fair market value. The same thing O'Brien did with Clowney. What's changed here?

Texian

Hall of Fame
A telling point for me is Texans players that have been traded to a man all speak of how they feel they have been rescued. How they now feel like a free man. If the Texans are going for a new culture I think they have achieved it.:sarcasm:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Funny, I've always thought the same about you.

I wouldn't blame the Texans for trading Roby even if he were a model citizen. It's dumping him as damaged goods, rather than getting fair market value. The same thing O'Brien did with Clowney. What's changed here?
Why were they dumped as damaged goods?

Because they were damaged goods.

Pretty easy to understand.