Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Bradley Roby Traded to Saints

It really depends on the terms of the conditional pick & how that actually plays out. If it's a low pick that might turn into a slightly higher pick, then I don't see the point.

The Texans should be working to improve draft capital & cap space. Not just one or the other. Eating $7M to buy a third & future negligible pick is not good business especially when juxtaposed with all the other questionable moves.

Texans should have over 20 million in salary cap space next year. Is that enough?

So normally if you trade a player with a $9M salary before the season, $9M comes off the books this year & frees up his salary in consecutive seasons.

So what you said, taking $7M hit this year year & freeing more money next season was already the case. There is no benefit for the Texans. In fact, it hurts. We could have pushed the saved $9M salary into next season. As it stands that dropped to $2M because the Texans agreed to pay $7M of his 2021 salary.

Why?

The Texans should have been able to get the Saints compensatory 3rd for Roby. Straight up. If that's the pick we end up getting after paying $7M of that salary, then no... it's a bad deal all around.

You basically bought a 2023 6th round pick for the same money you just spent for a 2022 6th round pick.
I'm not a cap guy, so I really don't know, but I thought signing bonuses didn't count towards the cap.

Not if they should have $27M

By trading Roby they increased their cap space. He would have been a 10 million dollar hit for 2022.

So they saved 10 million next year by trading him and eating the dollars this year.

What are you trying to point out? That they could have gotten a third with out eating the 7 million? You have no way of knowing they could and can only speculate.

So normally if you trade a player with a $9M salary before the season, $9M comes off the books this year & frees up his salary in consecutive seasons.

So what you said, taking $7M hit this year year & freeing more money next season was already the case. There is no benefit for the Texans. In fact, it hurts. We could have pushed the saved $9M salary into next season. As it stands that dropped to $2M because the Texans agreed to pay $7M of his 2021 salary.

Why?

The Texans should have been able to get the Saints compensatory 3rd for Roby. Straight up. If that's the pick we end up getting after paying $7M of that salary, then no... it's a bad deal all around.

You basically bought a 2023 6th round pick for the same money you just spent for a 2022 6th round pick.
So did Caserio get hoodwinked once again?

By trading Roby they increased their cap space. He would have been a 10 million dollar hit for 2022.

So they saved 10 million next year by trading him and eating the dollars this year.

What are you trying to point out? That they could have gotten a third with out eating the 7 million? You have no way of knowing they could and can only speculate.
The Saints don't have enough cap space to accommodate the trade.
If the Texans want to trade Roby, they have to rework the contract.

Singing bonus is paid to the player right away, but for cap purpose, is often prorated; the team benefits this way (in a nutshell).

You wouldn't think a GM would trade a contract he just restructured but then again it is Nick Caserio so there is probably a good chance of this happening.

Depends on the value you get in a trade.

Would you take a 2nd/3rd for Cooks at the deadline?

He walked away with a 3rd, the money really doesn't matter because money will be freed up next offseason. He had to eat a little $$$$ to be able to get a 3rd and help the Saints stay under the cap.

Yes, they converted Lawson's deal into a bonus, spreading the cap hit over 2 years. $1.7 million in dead money this year. $5.3 million in 2022 dead money.

The 3rd round pick for Roby made sense. But, what's the conditional pick? That's for paying Roby's 2021 salary. What are the conditions? That's going to be the difference between this being a good deal, or the Saints pulling a fast one on Caserio.

Without paying down some of his contract Caserio couldn't have gotten a 3rd much less a conditional pick. Why? Because the Saints didn't have the cap space to take on Roby's contract. So there wouldn't have been a deal to be made in the 1st place. Anyway, if I understand right this trade will open up almost 10 mil in cap space in 2022. Not that I want them to be big spenders in FA in the 2022 offseason.

The Saints don't have enough cap space to accommodate the trade.
If the Texans want to trade Roby, they have to rework the contract.

Singing bonus is paid to the player right away, but for cap purpose, is often prorated; the team benefits this way (in a nutshell).

Without paying down some of his contract Caserio couldn't have gotten a 3rd much less a conditional pick. Why? Because the Saints didn't have the cap space to take on Roby's contract. So there wouldn't have been a deal to be made in the 1st place. Anyway, if I understand right this trade will open up almost 10 mil in cap space in 2022. Not that I want them to be big spenders in FA in the 2022 offseason.

This has been missed by most. No deal if Texans don’t eat the 7M.

Also - what if the market for Roby was set at a 5th or 4th round pick. Eating the 7M may moved the Texans up by a round or two.

Let's say they were able to deal with the Ravens instead.
They get a 4th, but not having to shell out $7M in singing bonus.

They will still have the cap space (for the money they would be paying Roby's 2022 salary, which is roughly $10M).

In this instance, they are paying out $7M for nothing.
Sure, they have that $10M next year, but they'll have to find some guy with the talent that is worth that money.
And you know there are not too many sure things out there at CB.

Roby, when healthy, is a sure thing.

(The new guy they bring in isn't guaranteed to stay healthy either.)

It's not just the Roby deal, although the Roby deal is the right mindset and direction that should've been adopted in January. Building as much draft capital as a tanking team can build is the key to rebuilding a team. NOT trading half of your draft capital away. If there is one thing to learn from Jimmy Johnson and Bill Belichick, the teams who have the most draft picks and draft the most players are the most successful. Teams that trade away their draft capital are not.

What draft capital did Caserio trade away except a couple of late rd pick swaps (They've still got late rd picks) to help protect their QB and give him a decent slot WR to throw too. No high picks were lost making this investment in your QB.

This has been missed by most. No deal if Texans don’t eat the 7M.

Also - what if the market for Roby was set at a 5th or 4th round pick. Eating the 7M may moved the Texans up by a round or two.
Look at it in another way.

1. Roby was ranked somewhere above average last year.

That's value is a first round pick, usually in his second to fourth year in the league.

2. The Saints paid $2.5M for him plus a third rounder (next year) and a conditional 6th rounder (if he can play a certain number of snaps; ie., he's healthy and performing).

Does that sound like a good deal for the Saints?

If it does, then it should be a bad deal for the Texans, right?

I am not being obtuse - just reading is hard. I didn’t understand that sentence.

What did you mean? Based on his stats he should have been valued at a first round pick in a trade?
You usually need to spend a first round to find an above average no. 1 CB.

If your GM is not good, he might even squander that pick on a guy like the Texans did last time.

If your GM is not good, he might even squander that pick on a guy like the Texans did last time.

You saying Kevin Johnson and Kareem Jackson were squandered picks?

What draft capital did Caserio trade away except a couple of late rd pick swaps (They've still got late rd picks) to help protect their QB and give him a decent slot WR to throw too. No high picks were lost making this investment in your QB.
Do I really have to repost the FUBAR list again for the third time? C'mon man, you start with 10 draft picks and you end up drafting 5 players. Easy math, that's half of your draft capital. Jimmy Johnson and Bill Belichick would not approve.

Roby was a first round pick by Denver. About every report I’ve read about him lately from the “experts” is that he NEVER lived up to that billing. Why did Denver let him go? He’s not first round material. Never was. big question in my mind is how much did those Performance Enhancing Drugs help his career at Houston? I‘ll bet NC was asking for two 2022 picks but the Saints balked because they are in no way positive themselves. We will see. NC is getting heat here but doesn’t Roby have any culpability here? He’s as capable at screwing up trades as DW is.

Roby was a first round pick by Denver. About every report I’ve read about him lately from the “experts” is that he NEVER lived up to that billing. Why did Denver let him go? He’s not first round material. Never was. big question in my mind is how much did those Performance Enhancing Drugs help his career at Houston? I‘ll bet NC was asking for two 2022 picks but the Saints balked because they are in no way positive themselves. We will see. NC is getting heat here but doesn’t Roby have any culpability here? He’s as capable at screwing up trades as DW is.
Roby had an up and down period with the Broncos.
Their fans have higher expectations (they were spoiled) by their "No-Fly-Zone".

Roby was part of that No-Fly-Zone.

I frequented their board the one year when Keenum and Kubiak were both there (Kubiak had an advisory role).
I wacth most of their games, second only to the Texans.

When Roby first came here, I said he's not worth the money. He was somewhat below average.

He played a tad better that first year here.
And he definitely improved his second year.
His main weakness used to be tackling; he's quite a bit better at that now.
He plays right about where he should be playing in regard to the money he got.

Depends on the value you get in a trade.

Would you take a 2nd/3rd for Cooks at the deadline?
Seeing how a much younger Cooks has comparable stats and TDs as Julio Jones and the Texans will eat $5MM in his salary and take another $5MM enema in ghost dead money moved to years with no active contract, I wouldn't take anything less than what the Falcons got for Jones, 2nd and 4th RD picks and Caserio parting with one of his beloved 6th RD picks.

I highly doubt that Jack Easterby is going to let his golden child leave the Texans. That's why Cooks got that ridiculous restructuring deal.

Last edited:
Look at it in another way.

1. Roby was ranked somewhere above average last year.

That's value is a first round pick, usually in his second to fourth year in the league.

2. The Saints paid $2.5M for him plus a third rounder (next year) and a conditional 6th rounder (if he can play a certain number of snaps; ie., he's healthy and performing).

Does that sound like a good deal for the Saints?

If it does, then it should be a bad deal for the Texans, right?

In 2020 Darius Slay was traded for a 3rd and 5th.

Same year AJ Bouye was traded for a 4th.

I think the Texans may have been able to squeeze a 2nd round pick by paying the 7 million, or maybe the market for Roby was only a 4th rounder. I dunno. No one knows.

In any case hind sight is 2020, and the what if game can be played all night but I think both teams got fair compensation.

Same year AJ Bouye was traded for a 4th.

I think the Texans may have been able to squeeze a 2nd round pick by paying the 7 million, or maybe the market for Roby was only a 4th rounder. I dunno. No one knows.

In any case hind sight is 2020, and the what if game can be played all night but I think both teams got fair compensation.
The Saints has got a starting CB.
Will the Texans get one next yeat with a 3rd and some 12.5M?
(2.5M saving this year and $10M would be salary for Roby next year).

If the Texans can't find his replacement, it's a loss - a fairly sizable loss.

It's not that easy to find a capable CB.

Seeing how a much younger Cooks has comparable stats and TDs as Julio Jones and the Texans will eat $5MM in his salary and take another $5MM enema in ghost dead money moved to years with no active contract, I wouldn't take anything less than what the Falcons got for Jones, 2nd and 4th RD picks and Caserio parting with one of his beloved 6th RD picks.

I believe they will get a 2nd for Cooks and may have to give up a 5th or 6th.

This wouldn't bother me at all.

1-1
2-33
2-45 Cooks trade
2-48 Trading Roby pick and the Texans 4th.

Gives you 4 top 50 picks and a chance to really improve the roster.

If you're able to get a couple of 1sts for the 3rd string QB then that would give you 6 top 60 picks and plenty of cap space to add a couple of guys in FA. You can rebuild a team pretty fast if you hit on these picks.

Drugs are bad.

Did he just say comparable stats?

Julio Jones has 50% more TDS, double the yards, and almost double the targets and receptions.

Anything to bash the Texans and Caserio.

I believe they will get a 2nd for Cooks and may have to give up a 5th or 6th.

This wouldn't bother me at all.

1-1
2-33
2-45 Cooks trade
2-48 Trading Roby pick and the Texans 4th.

Gives you 4 top 50 picks and a chance to really improve the roster.

If you're able to get a couple of 1sts for the 3rd string QB then that would give you 6 top 60 picks and plenty of cap space to add a couple of guys in FA. You can rebuild a team pretty fast if you hit on these picks.

Maybe you can, but the Texans have shown that they will truly screw it up!!

I'm just wondering why most of the trades involving the giving team to eat a big pile of money, why are the Texans the one eating the money?

This is just as bad as my speculative scenario, except I'm considering the Saints were in a bind for a starting CB.

No way we should consider trading our starting corner back for a 5th round pick.

Their 3rd round compensatory should have been the baseline. It's basically an early 4th as all 32 teams have already made their 3rd round selection.

$7M should, imo, move us up to a 2nd. Or a 2023 pick that would make up the difference in value. 2021 3rd, plus 2022 3rd. We can make the 2023 3rd conditional.

If that's too rich for New Orleans, we don't do the deal & trade Roby in April.

We save $2M trading him now. Just doesn’t make sense.

I don't think he was hoodwinked as much as this feels like an O'Brien "get him out of Houston now." Kind of trade & not a "best for the Houston Texans" Kind of trade.

Did Detroit eat $7M? We ate $7M and got a future conditional 6th.

or maybe the market for Roby was only a 4th rounder.

There's no "market" four days before game 1. There's blood in the water, big fish feast, guppies get ate.

No reason for the Texans to do this trade like this right now. Wait until April & you probably get a deal closer to the Darius Slay deal without dropping your pants.

I'm just wondering why most of the trades involving the giving team to eat a big pile of money, why are the Texans the one eating the money?

This is just as bad as my speculative scenario, except I'm considering the Saints were in a bind for a starting CB.

No way we should consider trading our starting corner back for a 5th round pick.

Their 3rd round compensatory should have been the baseline. It's basically an early 4th as all 32 teams have already made their 3rd round selection.

$7M should, imo, move us up to a 2nd. Or a 2023 pick that would make up the difference in value. 2021 3rd, plus 2022 3rd. We can make the 2023 3rd conditional.

If that's too rich for New Orleans, we don't do the deal & trade Roby in April.

We save $2M trading him now. Just doesn’t make sense.

I don't think he was hoodwinked as much as this feels like an O'Brien "get him out of Houston now." Kind of trade & not a "best for the Houston Texans" Kind of trade.

Either take what you can get now or risk getting nothing later.

I think you're placing way to much value to a good #2 CB.

The rest is just a bunch of speculation.

Texans need all the picks they can get and there isn't a player on this roster that should be deemed untouchable.

The true test in Caserio's tenure is what he does with the picks that is going to determine if he sucks or not.

Did Detroit eat $7M? We ate $7M and got a future conditional 6th.

There's no "market" four days before game 1. There's blood in the water, big fish feast, guppies get ate.

No reason for the Texans to do this trade like this right now. Wait until April & you probably get a deal closer to the Darius Slay deal without dropping your pants.

Slay is a much better CB than Roby.

I would debate the word probably in your post. If we're going to speculate how about this, what if Roby gets popped for using the PED's again or because he's not using PED's has a bad season, what would his trade value been worth then.

I'm ready to see how good Caserio is in the draft.

I'm willing to give the new regime a chance with a full compliment of draft picks.
Again, Tunsil was the first and second round picks.

NC still needs to make good on the rest of the draft.
(No final grade yet).

As well as FA.

The true test in Caserio's tenure is what he does with the picks that is going to determine if he sucks or not
No offense, but that's a halfazed way to look at it. You need draft picks & you need money. If you're throwing away money when you don't have it, you won't have any when you need it.

Back in the day when you couldn't carry it over I could see some cavalier spending. But now when you can roll that over year after year... doesn't make sense to pay $7M one week to get a 6th round pick in 2022, then spend $7M to buy a 6th round pick in 2023 the next.

A third & a 5th is a much better deal than a 3rd (I bet you it's the compensatory 3rd) & a future 6th.

Especially if I don't see a difference between a 6th round pick & an UDFA.

Hence getting more value from Slay than Roby.

Hence getting more value from Slay than Roby.
It's ridiculously vast difference in compensation. A 3rd & 5th is probably a 2nd round pick on the value chart.

A 3rd, a future 6th, while eating $7M is probably a low 4th round pick on the draft value chart.

Getting a compensatory 3rd for Roby (via trade) shouldn't be a stretch. & that's better, imo, than paying $7M...

Believe me, I've been giving Caserio the benefit of the doubt trying to see every move in its best light. I want to believe we finally have a real football guy in the FO that will allow the McNairs to focus on their stables.

But... it's getting harder & harder to ignore the stupid.

It's ridiculously vast difference in compensation. A 3rd & 5th is probably a 2nd round pick on the value chart.

A 3rd, a future 6th, while eating $7M is probably a low 4th round pick on the draft value chart.

Getting a compensatory 3rd for Roby (via trade) shouldn't be a stretch. & that's better, imo, than paying $7M...

Believe me, I've been giving Caserio the benefit of the doubt trying to see every move in its best light. I want to believe we finally have a real football guy in the FO that will allow the McNairs to focus on their stables.

But... it's getting harder & harder to ignore the stupid.

Like I said you apparently place more value in Roby than I do. Slay's a better player and doesn't have a yr long PED suspension hanging over his head like Roby does if he gets popped again. Not to mention the PED's probably helped Roby play better. I expected a 3rd for Roby and if the Texans have to eat $$$$ to get it I'm ok with this particularly with Roby's PED situation. The other pick is just gravy.

If we're doing this with a Roby trade, I cant wait to see this MB if Caserio gets less than three 1st rd picks. (This probably will happen) This is going to be true entertainment.

I expected a 3rd for Roby and if the Texans have to eat $$$$ to get it I'm ok with this
I don’t see how. If I tell a guy to sell cars for me & he brings me 75-80 cents on the dollar, I’m going to be upset. Especially if he keeps doing it. Won’t take me long to come to terms with the fact I got the wrong guy managing my car lot.

I don’t see how. If I tell a guy to sell cars for me & he brings me 75-80 cents on the dollar, I’m going to be upset. Especially if he keeps doing it. Won’t take me long to come to terms with the fact I got the wrong guy managing my car lot.

Because 1 more PED suspension for Roby means you get nothing and he's suspended for a yr.

So everyone agrees Easterby has some minor say...

And everyone also agrees n.c. also has final say...

Why the hullabaloo?
Except for Texansballer.

I honestly don't know if Easterby has no say, a little say, or a lot of say in the recent personnel decisions. But what I do know is that ever since he arrived, the Texans front office has made one misstep after another. They have drafted poorly, they have made lopsided trades to the advantage of the other guys, and they've gotten rid of some key personnel that had been with the team a number of years that reported to the Executive VP of Football Operations - Jack Easterby.

Nobody can convince me Jack Easterby has had no part in the swift collapse of this team.

I don't hold any personal animosity towards Jack Easterby. I just want everyone that played a part in wrecking this team gone. Which is why I'm glad Roby's gone. I never thought of him as one of those stabilizing guys that was going to mentor all the young guys that will be coming aboard to compete over the next few years. I never saw him as a good transitional player.

Next guy that needs to be traded is Tunsil.

Its possible for both sides to win a trade.

Roby is a solid starting CB. The Saints are a contending team that need a solid starting CB to make a playoff push.

Trading Roby does not make the Texans go from a possible playoff or even .500 team to not. But it does give them picks for the future they could use on grabbing another solid player (or two) that would be on their rookie contract instead of the $ Roby was making as a vet.

Interesting to note:

The Panthers are paying 7 million of QB Teddy Bridgewater’s salary this season. They got a 6th round pick from the Broncos this season.

The Texans are getting a 3rd plus an additional conditional pick in 2023 for the CB Roby.

Because 1 more PED suspension for Roby means you get nothing and he's suspended for a yr.
Which is why I believe the 2nd pick was conditional. Damaged goods are always discounted. There are different circumstances in every trade...timing, shaping a roster, salary vs performance levels, etc. do we even know how Roby competed in TC? I never heard his name mentioned very often. At the end of the day he’s a fly on an elephants ass as far as shaping the course of this season and I’m not surprised that a 29 year old PED suspended CB was on the hit list. Hey maybe we aren’t the oldest team in the league now, lol.

Last edited:
Except for Texansballer.

I honestly don't know if Easterby has no say, a little say, or a lot of say in the recent personnel decisions. But what I do know is that ever since he arrived, the Texans front office has made one misstep after another. They have drafted poorly, they have made lopsided trades to the advantage of the other guys, and they've gotten rid of some key personnel that had been with the team a number of years that reported to the Executive VP of Football Operations - Jack Easterby.

Nobody can convince me Jack Easterby has had no part in the swift collapse of this team.

I don't hold any personal animosity towards Jack Easterby. I just want everyone that played a part in wrecking this team gone. Which is why I'm glad Roby's gone. I never thought of him as one of those stabilizing guys that was going to mentor all the young guys that will be coming aboard to compete over the next few years. I never saw him as a good transitional player.

Next guy that needs to be traded is Tunsil.

Agreed, until this year. Easterby did have a big hand in where they're at now. He did what he was hired to do, (find the dead bodies) this lead to the Hopkins trade/where the 3rd string QB is and Rootes/Palcic. He was very good at his job. What he wasn't good at was negotiating contracts. Bad drafts have been a staple of the Texans org.

I'm willing to wait and see Caserio with a full compliment of draft picks before I can get on board with your line of thinking.

After seeing what happened to Carr, I disagree with you about Tunsil, although Cooks should be the next to go.

Last edited:
Back