Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

All Encompassing Matt Schaub Thread

People let wins go to their head, hell all of us let wins go to our head until the Patriots smacked our asses on MNF.

Then, SOME of us figured "Uh oh. Something doesn't compute here...hmmm...maybe just an off game?"

Then we completely blew two straight chances at HFA...and some MORE of us thought, "Eek. OK, this team has gone stagnant."

Now we get a win in a WILD CARD round, vs a team who (drum roll, please...) crumbled under the pressure, and our QB managed fairly well--since that's what he is, a manager--and our ground game and defense did well for a change.

All that does NOT instill newfound confidence in me, not with who we're playing next. We have to hope N.E. snoozes on us (something I said prior to our MNF game vs them, I might add).

And even then, Tom will roar back and probably beat us still.

We're just not there yet.

This is completely fair.

Schaub didn't play lights out, I don't think anyone will claim that. Claiming the Texans won DESPITE Schaub because our run game was rolling and our defense was playing well is ludicrous; you're penalizing someone for something because other aspects made it unnecessary.

Facts:

Schaub will need to play better to beat the Patriots. We know he is CAPABLE of that play, but he needs to find that play again, because he has not shown it as of late.

The TEAM itself also needs to elevate its play. This cannot be a repeat of 21-0 after three possessions.

Tom Brady and the Patriots are monsters in the playoffs and the Texans are severe underdogs; we CAN win, likely WON'T win.

As I had posted earlier, Walter already got his salary reduced to $2M sometimes in Mid March (his cap hit is $3M, I believe.)

Yes, 3 million in savings this year at the very least, but he is on the books for 4.5 million 2013, so that's the savings for 2013 and beyond. None of it is guaranteed, or would have been, had he been cut at the start of free agency in 2012. The point being that there is more money available in the future for salary escalation if necessary, so if the first year is 15.25 million, it's entirely possible to go higher in future years to make the total value higher.

Adding the cap hits of Schaub and Walter together (per Spotrac), we come up with $15.2M.

That's $2.8M short of the $18M.

Ok, that's exactly what I said, and up thread I showed other savings we could have used to go after him. I also said that Manning may have been interested in taking less money if he thought we were a better situation than Denver, I never said anything about matching the offer dollar for dollar.

What does that mean?
Either:

1. Manning has to agreed to sign for $2.8M less for us to stay at the same cap number (that we must) and Walter is gone while we don't have any one on the roster that can do the things he was asked for besides catching the ball.
The only guy we had at that time was Jean who was on IR for the entire 2011, and therefore had never practiced those blocks and routes that Walter runs.
(I never thought for a moment that they can cut Walter. Next year, they will a possibility, if they've been having Jean and Posey learning to do those things all this time.) Do you think that Peyton would leave $2.8M on the table?

I think 2.8 million is the least of Peyton's worries. I think he's interested in rings, not a couple million here and there. His endorsement deals certainly bring in some significant money, but I would be surprised if that small amount of money was a deal breaker.

2. Keeping Walter and cut several players to make the cap.
Take a look at the cap hits, who and how many players can the Texans cut (replacing them with minimum-salary players) to make it work?

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/houston-texans/cap-hit/

I don't think it's feasible.

I stated other options for saving capspace upthread. Cut Winston and Jacoby, and declare them June 1st cuts. Keeping Demeco would have saved us at least a million or two, and it would have reduced the dead money incurred if he was traded in 2013. He would have taken over for Cushing instead of the hodgepodge of ILBs we have been using. Could have kept Reed at OLB, which may have improved our pass rush this season. Restructure JJo and Antonio Smith for sure. There's always money to be moved around if needed, saying it was not possible is just asinine though. Where there's a will, there's a way, but there was no will with the Texans.

The thing I really don't like about your opinion on this is that it seems you saying you would rather have Schaub+Walter over Peyton Manning (I could interpreting you wrong here). I couldn't care less if Walter was gone in this scenario because anything lost in the run blocking department would be outweighed by everything gained in the passing game with Manning at the helm. If the team is forcing the defense to play nickle and dime sets constantly, then the run game will greatly benefit from the different personnel, and IMO moreso than one WR who occasionally gets a block down field. AJ+OD+Foster as the top 3 receivers is fine with me if I have Manning at QB. All you need is a speedy outside receiver to stretch the defense (could be Martin) and I think you have a recipe for success.

Peyton Manning's career playoff record = 9 wins 10 losses.

Manning lost his 1st three playoff games. Here are the number of points the Colts scored in those games:

Schaub's playoff record 1 win 0 losses

Points scored

Can people chill out a little bit, please!

Dutch, my thought is that each team is built differently.

Jacoby was already long gone.
We cut Winston to use the money somewhere else.

We don't know what was going with Demeco; he might have been the one who asked for the trade behind closed doors.

I don't prefer Walter, but we need to have a replacement for him in place.
At the time, we didn't.

There were too many variables that suggest against such a move as to bring Peyton in.

It's like you have to scratch your 3-5 year plan for an overhaul.
I don't know if it was impossible (we don't know for sure one way or another) but the big picture, to me, slants toward not-doable, especially considering the near future (the next two years or so).

Peyton Manning's career playoff record = 9 wins 10 losses.

Manning lost his 1st three playoff games. Here are the number of points the Colts scored in those games:

Schaub's playoff record 1 win 0 losses

Points scored

Can people chill out a little bit, please!

Peyton was a 2nd year player in his first playoff game and lost to the eventual AFC Champs, it was also a division round game, not a wild card game against some scrub team.. i dont see the point of making this comparison.

Peyton lost in the first round of the play-offs seven (7) times.

for all his greatness he certainly has underachieved in the playoffs, but those might have been the first games, but how many were division round games vs wild card games... division rounds are much tougher opponents than wild card teams.. seeing his record is quite depressing actually, this is the guy that has undeniably owned the texans franchise..

for all his greatness he certainly has underachieved in the playoffs, but those might have been the first games, but how many were division round games vs wild card games... division rounds are much tougher opponents than wild card teams.. seeing his record is quite depressing actually, this is the guy that has undeniably owned the texans franchise..

In his second year (1999), the Colts won the division and got a bye.
They lost to the Wildcard winner Titans.

The next year, he lost the Wild Card Game to the Dolphins.

Two years later, in 2002, he lost another WC game, getting blanked 0-41 by the Jets.

In 05, he lost the divisional round to the Steelers.

In 07, he lost the divisional round to the Chargers.

In 08, the Colts were 12-4 when he lost the Wild Card Game to the 8-8 Chargers.

In 2010, he lost the Wild Card Game to the Jets by the score 16-17

What don't you understand about he was a 2nd year player!!!!

He was a rookie for 7 years.

gawd...

:kitten:

STUPID! To even compare the two is rediculous. At least Peyton was good enough to take his team to the playoffs every year he played except two. A lot of those teams were horrible. Unbelievable. You stat mongers are all the same.

STUPID! To even compare the two is rediculous. At least Peyton was good enough to take his team to the playoffs every year he played except two. A lot of those teams were horrible. Unbelievable. You stat mongers are all the same.

It's not my comparison. The anti-Schaub crowd are the ones that are comparing Schaub to Manning.

I've never seen such outrage over a playoff victory. Schaub completed 75% of his passes for over 250 yards... He screwed up and threw a pick. The offense bogged down in the red zone. Mediocre game by a guy who has had a poor last month after playing great the first 10 games of the year.

Most astounding: Some of you are actually criticizing his performance this weekend against New England... The one he hasn't played yet!! If he plays poorly and they lose, it is your right to complain. I don't think, however, it is fair to hate him simply because you lack confidence in him. That is quite narcissistic.

And all this time I thought we were discussing about QBs who can lead his team deep into the play-offs and not to lose the first game.

How stupid of me! :mariopalm:

Stupid..... ?

I think the point was that a great QB like Peyton was one & done in his first 7 play-off appearances. He eventually went on to win a Super Bowl.

So it shouldn't be too far fetched to believe that Schaub can win a Super Bowl.

It's either we use stats, or we use your eye. I can't use your eye, so I'll have to settle for stats.

Stupid..... ?

I think the point was that a great QB like Peyton was one & done in his first 7 play-off appearances. He eventually went on to win a Super Bowl.

It's either we use stats, or we use your eye. I can't use your eye, so I'll have to settle for stats.

It wasn't his first 7 playoffs, it was just 7 of his 11 playoff appearances have ended with one-and-done. Most notably in 2010 when his vaunted offense put up all of 16 points on the Jets at home.

Stupid..... ?

i still dont understand this.. matt schuab isnt the first qb to win his first playoff game.. peyton manning lost his first 3 playoff games not his first 7.. and the guy was 23, not 31... still hadn't come close to his peak, matt has already surpassed his peak and is on the backside of his career..

peyton won the SB in his 8th season and already had 9 playoff games under his belt before his super bowl run in 2006.. its not that hard of a concept to understand that teams usually fail before they eventually win it all.. you have to build up some experience, schaub just popped his playoff cherry..

if were tossing around playoff records, mark sanchez is 4-2 in the playoffs, much better winning% than peyton..

i still dont understand this.. matt schuab isnt the first qb to win his first playoff game.. peyton manning lost his first 3 playoff games not his first 7.. and the guy was 23, not 31... still hadn't come close to his peak, matt has already surpassed his peak and is on the backside of his career..

peyton won the SB in his 8th season and already had 9 playoff games under his belt before his super bowl run in 2006.. its not that hard of a concept to understand that teams usually fail before they eventually win it all.. you have to build up some experience, schaub just popped his playoff cherry..

if were tossing around playoff records, mark sanchez is 4-2 in the playoffs.. he must have won a superbowl already...

It took some kicking in the family jewelry box to pop that cherry! :spit:

It's not my comparison. The anti-Schaub crowd are the ones that are comparing Schaub to Manning.

I've never seen such outrage over a playoff victory. Schaub completed 75% of his passes for over 250 yards... He screwed up and threw a pick. The offense bogged down in the red zone. Mediocre game by a guy who has had a poor last month after playing great the first 10 games of the year.

Most astounding: Some of you are actually criticizing his performance this weekend against New England... The one he hasn't played yet!! If he plays poorly and they lose, it is your right to complain. I don't think, however, it is fair to hate him simply because you lack confidence in him. That is quite narcissistic.

The most important position in football is undeniably the QB. When our starting QB still hasn't show any signs of improvement in his first PA game is a legitimate reason for an outrage.

You called it a mediocre game by Schaub. I go as far as calling it his worst game of the season. Think about this:
The five most important elements in aiding a QB on a successful game is
1) Protection
2) Good running game
3) Defense creating three and outs from the opposing offense
4) Good starting field position
5) Home crowd support

Schaub has ALL that going for him and yet STILL manage 1 TD drive!
In the NFL when an offense only score 1 TD that is a FAILED.

The most important position in football is undeniably the QB. When our starting QB still hasn't show any signs of improvement in his first PA game is a legitimate reason for an outrage.

You called it a mediocre game by Schaub. I go as far as calling it his worst game of the season. Think about this:
1) Protection
2) Good running game
5) Home crowd support

I disagree about the protection. I thought it was the game plan to get rid of the ball quickly. Seldom, if ever, outside of play-action, did Schaub ever take a 7 step drop...

...its not that hard of a concept to understand that teams usually fail before they eventually win it all.. you have to build up some experience, schaub just popped his playoff cherry..

I think you understand the point very well. There is no more to say.

1) Protection
2) Good running game
5) Home crowd support

Worst game of the season? Are you nuts? We put up 20 on a top 5 defense.

Worst game of the season? Are you nuts? We put up 20 on a top 5 defense.

It was 19 pts not 20 but I spot you that extra point anyway since producing 20 when our defense keep giving you the ball back and Foster making enough plays to keep the Cincy D honest and yet Schaub still managed one attempt in the EZ to AJ. That seems like a gameplan of a scared QB.

1) Protection
2) Good running game
5) Home crowd support

Go learn some NFL history and watch games like what Tom Brady had last season against the Ravens in the playoffs and you'll see a similar game. Matt Schaub only scored one TD. Let's throw a hissy fit over that and ignore that he made several nice plays on 3rd down. The worst game he had all season?? What an exaggeration. You ever watch an NFL team and watch other players other then the QB?? How about placing a little blame on these WR's that can't do a damn thing other then #81. Nope, that's being to fair. Just sign up for an account on TT.com just so you can bash Schaub because this offense isn't putting up 40 points against the top teams in the league.

Heres Matt Schaub if he ever turned into a zombie

21730977.png

Go learn some NFL history and watch games like what Tom Brady had last season against the Ravens in the playoffs and you'll see a similar game. Matt Schaub only scored one TD. Let's throw a hissy fit over that and ignore that he made several nice plays on 3rd down. The worst game he had all season?? What an exaggeration. You ever watch an NFL team and watch other players other then the QB?? How about placing a little blame on these WR's that can't do a damn thing other then #81. Nope, that's being to fair. Just sign up for an account on TT.com just so you can bash Schaub because this offense isn't putting up 40 points against the top teams in the league.

How the man suppose to score when NE defense couldn't keep the Ravens offense off the field unlike Hou. Ravens had over 480+ yards in total offense and over 7 minutes in T.O.P. Schaub had over 17 min of T.O.P compare to Brady AND he had a more effective running game. He couldn't even utilize one of the best RB in the NFL at the top of his game to produce a single TD pass. And who says anything about scoring 40. All us Schaub basher wants is an extra TD to sealed the game. Shaub couldn't be in a more favorable spot to put the game away and instead we had to rely on an overthrown pass from Dalton to Green to save us that game.

Meanwhile GB blew out Minnesota while Rogers was running for his life all day AND with no running game to fallback on.

How the man suppose to score when NE defense couldn't keep the Ravens offense off the field unlike Hou. Ravens had over 480+ yards in total offense and over 7 minutes in T.O.P. Schaub had over 17 min of T.O.P compare to Brady AND he had a more effective running game. He couldn't even utilize one of the best RB in the NFL at the top of his game to produce a single TD pass. And who says anything about scoring 40. All us Schaub basher wants is an extra TD to sealed the game. Shaub couldn't be in a more favorable spot to put the game away and instead we had to rely on an overthrown pass from Dalton to Green to save us that game.

Meanwhile GB blew out Minnesota while Rogers was running for his life all day AND with no running game to fallback on.

How many QB's in the league do you think can do what Rodgers does? If there is a guy out there that we can grab and go after after this season, then feel free to let me know who. I don't know where we can go and get a guy that has all of the play making abilities like Rodgers. I thought that Schaub played a pretty good game the other day other then his INT and the failures to get TD scores. He got us up and down the field several times though. One time there was a TD pass that went off of AJ's hands. Sure it wasn't a good pass for how easy it was, but AJ could have had it. He should have had it. But that's okay, because it was a difficult catch none the less. But we didn't "not score" TD's all because of Schaub's inability to get us in the end zone. Just like we didn't get up the field all because of Schaub's passing abilities either. It took several parts of that offense to make it all work. Schaub isn't a superstar QB that can look flashy and make things look easy. No reason to expect him to be something he is not then It will just frustrate you. We have him now, and there probably won't be another guy taking snaps for a while.

This is completely fair.

Schaub didn't play lights out, I don't think anyone will claim that. Claiming the Texans won DESPITE Schaub because our run game was rolling and our defense was playing well is ludicrous; you're penalizing someone for something because other aspects made it unnecessary.

Facts:

Schaub will need to play better to beat the Patriots. We know he is CAPABLE of that play, but he needs to find that play again, because he has not shown it as of late.

The TEAM itself also needs to elevate its play. This cannot be a repeat of 21-0 after three possessions.

Tom Brady and the Patriots are monsters in the playoffs and the Texans are severe underdogs; we CAN win, likely WON'T win.

I don't think I'm unfairly penalizing Schaub. Something has happened with him since the two OT games we won mid-season. I don't know if it's the foot, his conditioning (due to being out of football this same period of time LAST season) or what. Something is "less" than it had been prior to the two OT games.

Come to think about it, it could be the lack of him being on the field last season. His absence last season coincides with his lackluster play during roughly the same stretch of time THIS season. Right? Last year he was completely immobilized and out of the game altogether. In the last four or five weeks of 2012, he was navigating through territory he hadn't been into since 2010.

His sharpness of mind and his physical conditioning was accustomed to a shortened season. ???

Everyone needs to stop comparing Schaub to Rodgers, Brees, Brady & Manning. We know he isn't at their level, no one has ever claimed that. If anyone has any ideas how we can get a tier 1 QB, I'm all ears.

Everyone needs to stop comparing Schaub to Rodgers, Brees, Brady & Manning. We know he isn't at their level, no one has ever claimed that. If anyone has any ideas how we can get a tier 1 QB, I'm all ears.

boooooo.

Yea lets not compare matt schaub to great qbs. lets compare him to joe flacoo and tony romo.

smdh....

Houstonians need to get off this path to perpetual mediocrity.

Why can we expect schaub to be as great as the other qbs?

even more important,

Why cant we start planning to draft and look for the qb of the future while schaub plays out his contract?

Why would that be so bad?

I am not of the opinion that the current Houston Texans team is broadly talented enough to win a Super Bowl.

However, Matt Schaub delivered a win vs. a wild card team so I have to give him credit. I'm curious to see how differently he plays in the upcoming playoff game, as opposed to the December game vs. the Patriots.

I am not of the opinion that the current Houston Texans team is broadly talented enough to win a Super Bowl.

However, Matt Schaub delivered a win vs. a wild card team so I have to give him credit. I'm curious to see how differently he plays in the upcoming payoff game, as opposed to the December game vs. the Patriots.

matt didnt deliver diddly squat vs the bengals.

andy dalton delivered that win by over throwing aj green for the game winning TD.

Matt did nothing but do his darnest to choke the game away by throwing inaccurate passes to his wide receivers.

andy dalton delivered that win by over throwing aj green for the game winning TD.

Matt did nothing but do his darnest to choke the game away by throwing inaccurate passes to his wide receivers.

I generally agree. I was just giving him the benefit of the doubt as the QB on the victorious team.

I don't think he as a chance in New England, but I hope to be proven wrong.

clearly, then, you must have even a lower opinion of Andy Dalton... sucks to be Cincinnati and stuck with that loser for the next several years.

Wow, and here I was thinking games consisted of more than one play? Why bother with the other 3+ hours if we can determine the winner in 10 seconds? :confused:

Wow, and here I was thinking games consisted of more than one play? Why bother with the other 3+ hours if we can determine the winner in 10 seconds? :confused:

Heck.. get rid of the rest of the teams. Spot the QBs on the 40 yard line & let the QBs throw balls through tires in the endzone. The more accurate guy wins the game.

Save a lot of cap space.

I had two plays in mind when it came to Schaub when I re-watched the 1st half: The Pick-6 and the dropped TD by Andre (or bad throw by Schaub, depending on who you ask...lol)

Pick-6:

As Schaub dropped back, Schaub had to have thought that Leon Hall would drop further back and cover Dre (zone). Hall stayed home because of a similar route ran by Graham on the Texans previous drive, right before the 6 yard pass to Walter on 3rd down and 8, leading up to the FG.

Schaub was late as all hell with that throw. He probably thought "just get the first down, and keep the chains moving". He had Walter open on a Smash near the sideline. Not sure if he didn't trust his arm to get it there, or (and this is my opinion) he just didn't want to be a hero and get the - in his mind - the easy 1st down. Terrible, terrible decision.

Near-TD, where Dre got his hands on the ball:

Two words: Got. DAMMIT!!!

Andre Johnson, the baddest man alive, absolutely MANHANDLES Adam Jones on this play. Jones, bless his heart, tried to bump Dre at the line, got worked by 80 with relative ease. All that's left is the route. Finish this, and we got a touchdown! NO MORE FGS!

What happened was Dre barely getting a hand on Schaub's throw. Now, you COULD say Schaub made a bad throw. Your prerogative. To me, in no way is that on Schaub. I'm critical of Schaub when he needs to be criticized. I WILL, however, have to put this on Andre a little bit. Why? Because has to straighten that route. If you look where Dre had his hands on the ball, that's where Schaub thought he would be. Maybe, that was the job of Jones; get Andre off his route JUST ENOUGH to disrupt the timing. That said, Mr. Waka-waka-waka got clowned at the line, allowing for practically a free release.

If Andre finishes that route in front of the plane of the goal line, not in the end zone, turning an out route into damn near an outside slant, it's an easy TD.

boooooo.

Yea lets not compare matt schaub to great qbs. lets compare him to joe flacoo and tony romo.

smdh....

even more important,

Why cant we start planning to draft and look for the qb of the future while schaub plays out his contract?

Because he is not as good as those other qb's. Same way those teams can't expect their defensive lineman to be as good as Watt. There is no reason we can't start looking to draft another qb. I'm not sure anyone has said we should'nt.

Pick-6:

Schaub was late as all hell with that throw. He probably thought "just get the first down, and keep the chains moving". He had Walter open on a Smash near the sideline. Not sure if he didn't trust his arm to get it there, or (and this is my opinion) he just didn't want to be a hero and get the - in his mind - the easy 1st down. Terrible, terrible decision.
After listening to the Matt Schaub show & watching it again, I think it's clear that he was concerned about their pass rush. It was their staple coming into the game. They were supposed to be badd-as5es, but our OL stepped up. Anyway, Matt didn't wait for his routes to develop (understandable, thinking about the pass rush) took his first/second read & delivered the ball.

That one was still late. Had the ball come out on time, Hall wouldn't have been able to react.
Near-TD, where Dre got his hands on the ball:

Andre Johnson, the baddest man alive...

Now, you COULD say Schaub made a bad throw. Your prerogative. To me, in no way is that on Schaub. I'm critical of Schaub when he needs to be criticized.

I agree. This game isn't played on paper, or internet message boards. There's another team out there trying to stop us from doing what we want to do. There was a DT flashing in front of Schaub, hands up. Schaub had to adjust that throw. Had he been more athletic he could have bought more time, & made a better throw, but as is he got the ball in a catchable location. All we can really ask for.

Andre, same thing. He's got that troll on his back & he has to adjust to the ball. He didn't, no big deal. Take the three.

The only problem in this game, is that we never had a better chance to score a TD (other than the TD we scored).

boooooo.

smdh....

even more important,

We can't expect Schaub to be as great as other qbs because he doesn't have the tools to be great, plain & simple. He'll never be in the league of the Brady, Manning, Brees & Rodgers. It's like complaining that Antonio Smith isn't as good as Watt. Smith is a good player in his own right, but he just doesn't have the physical tools that Watt has and will never be as good as he is.

The question we need to ask ourselves is Schaub good enough to take us to a Super Bowl championship. I think he is, but of course, he needs help. He isn't a tier 1 guy that can carry his team on his back... he needs the defense to make stops, he'll need receivers to make plays, he'll need good protection from the OL.

I have no qualms with drafting a QB for the future. I don't think anyone in here would argue against that. But with where we're picking, the odds of finding a QB stud aren't in our favor.

After listening to the Matt Schaub show & watching it again, I think it's clear that he was concerned about their pass rush. It was their staple coming into the game. They were supposed to be badd-as5es, but our OL stepped up. Anyway, Matt didn't wait for his routes to develop (understandable, ) took his first/second read & delivered the ball.

It's understandable,thinking about the pass rush? Not letting his route develop because he's thinking about the pass rush is understandable? You just describe the hallmark of a bad QB with that statement. Not letting the route develop and throwing a pick 6 because there was a lineman in his grill is at least more understandable. But throwing a pick 6 on a play your TE AND RB stayed back to help protect against a 4 man rush is not understandable. If there was a play to take that extra time to make an intelligent read and throw IT was that play!

What good is a QB in this league if he can't distinguish good protection versus bad protection? Unbelievable. In our 10 years of existence we have yet to acquire a QB with decent pocket-instinct and awareness.

It's understandable,thinking about the pass rush? Not letting his route develop because he's thinking about the pass rush is understandable? You just describe the hallmark of a bad QB with that statement. Not letting the route develop and throwing a pick 6 because there was a lineman in his grill is at least more understandable. But throwing a pick 6 on a play your TE AND RB stayed back to help protect against a 4 man rush is not understandable. If there was a play to take that extra time to make an intelligent read and throw IT was that play!

What good is a QB in this league if he can't distinguish good protection versus bad protection? Unbelievable. In our 10 years of existence we have yet to acquire a QB with decent pocket-instinct and awareness.

Yeah, you can look at it that way.

But I'm sure it's situational, and it's not like he was just trying to get the ball out of his hands. He said he was aware of their pass rush. If his first read was open, he took it. The other routes just didn't develop.

Totally different from hurrying a throw.

Brady does it better, but it's the same thing Brady is doing that allows him to get the ball out before Jj can get to him. Most of his passes in week 14 were out of his hand in less than 2.5 seconds. He's not looking for the deep route, he's looking for his first read, if it's open, he takes it.

But I'm sure it's situational, and it's not like he was just trying to get the ball out of his hands. He said he was aware of their pass rush. If his first read was open, he took it. The other routes just didn't develop.

Brady does it better, but it's the same thing Brady is doing that allows him to get the ball out before Jj can get to him. Most of his passes in week 14 were out of his hand in less than 2.5 seconds. He's not looking for the deep route, he's looking for his first read, if it's open, he takes it.

QBs that wants to basically win the Super Bowl with one play every down damn near don't win a thing.

Look at Peyton Manning 99-04 or so. Manning wanted the down field throws a ton. That would work in the regular season, and maybe in the wild card/divisional round, but when the Pats came calling; done. Those down field throws weren't open. The short pass/1st read? Forget 'em.

That, to me, explains Tony Romo's (and Schaub sometimes, too) problem. That 1st read that's open, it's OK to take it. Down-field ain't always the greatest option.

That Casey route is a safety valve route, "Break glass in case of emergency". That is not a throw you make if no one is open kind of route. The only reason a QB would throw that pass if there is an instant breach in pass protection.

THAT is not a throw of a QB checking down because his receiver aren't open. THAT is a hurry throw by a panicked QB.

Schaub is a head case right now. It's like David Carr is the lone tenant up there.

That Casey route is a safety valve route, "Break glass in case of emergency". That is not a throw you make if no one is open kind of route. The only reason a QB would throw that pass if there is an instant breach in pass protection.

THAT is not a throw of a QB checking down because his receiver aren't open. THAT is a hurry throw by a panicked QB.

Schaub is a head case right now. It's like David Carr is the lone tenant up there.

If you say so.

I'll try to find the picture, it's posted in one of these threads. Everyone else was still running their routes, Casey was the only one looking for the ball. Which is why it was intercepted, the ball should have been on it's way before he turned....

But that short route definitely developed a lot faster than the deep route. I know that's a "strange" concept... but that's what happened.

If you're going to contend that Schaub had happy feet & just wanted the ball out of his hand.... I'm just going to have to concede the point.

Here's a link to a bunch of Texans' podcast, listen to what Matt says, listen to what Kubiak says... Walter is in there somewhere, Duane Brown is in there. Listen to what they say about their game plan & their QB.

Back