Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Your thoughts on Will Fuller

Will Fuller

• Do you not like the pick & hope it blows up in whoever's face?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Did you like the pick, but grew to not?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

attractive-nurse-10663519.jpg

When Fuller drops a pass(es) that keep the Texans out of the playoffs or cause them to lose in the playoffs, Texans fans will be ready to ship him out faster than they can say Jacoby Jones.
Not too worried about him keeping us out of the playoffs or making us lose in the playoffs. This kid is special and he will be a big part of what takes us to the next level.

Did you just crawl from under a rock or come out of a cocoon or something? Or do you just not get it?

Dude has been dropping ONE pass every time he gets on the field. Dropping ONE pass every game or so is not something that should be acceptable. And the killer part about his drops is that they arent on some curl route or little slant...some 10 yard in route...

He has shown a knack for dropping sure fire house calls and big chunk plays when he has done everything else he needed to do to get open.

And do you think the coaches or ******* Fuller himself are shrugging off that ONE drop issue he has? Yeah it's an "issue" because this isn't an every blue moon occurrence.

And I really like Fuller and very shortly after we drafted him and I looked into him deeper I became a big fan of his. So I'm not railing against the guy. I'm just pointing out that this is an issue that he needs to work on because if he wants to be a great player then he can't be dropping those passes as often as he does.
I agree with this, however on the bolded...As I said earlier I'm not ready to accept this as status quo. He's a young player so he can improve on it. I'd like to see him improve on it.
Yes he did drop some in the preseason and the one in the first regular season game but unless he drops a ball going deep or one that would extend a drive in the next few games I am not going to be a prisoner of the monent and say he needs to improve.

I will give the kid more than one game to determine if he needs to improve and by how much.

This one play we are discussing hardly is a reason to push the panic button.

Some more established recievers drop sure fire TD's and big plays as well.

I have concerns but do not feel the need to jump the gun on his one drop last Sunday afternoon.

I see your point but this does not need to be a long drawn out debate.

I can concede that WF needs to work on catching the deep throws he is open on but I am not going to worry too much after one regular season game.

The kid did not drop any more that game. He seems to be a hard worker and I am sure he is with Os and our other QB's and wide outs getting his catching worked on.

Lets not be prisoners of the moment.

Lets not be prisoners of the moment.

Prisoners of the moment my arse. He had this particular negative up and down scouting reports and game film from everyone and their uncle coming out of Notre Dame. He was 88th of 96 qualifiers in drop % his junior year and that was actually worse than finishing 82nd the year before. Then his first game as a pro lo and behold...

It ain't time to hit any panic buttons, but it sure as hell ain't prisoner of any one moment or any one drop. It's his game until further notice. Let's just hope he keeps giving us more to notice positive or we begin to notice an improvement in his unfortunate negative.

Prisoners of the moment my arse. He had this particular negative up and down scouting reports and game film from everyone and their uncle coming out of Notre Dame. He was 88th of 96 qualifiers in drop % his junior year and that was actually worse than finishing 82nd the year before. Then his first game as a pro lo and behold...

It ain't time to hit any panic buttons, but it sure as hell ain't prisoner of any one moment or any one drop. It's his game until further notice. Let's just hope he keeps giving us more to notice positive or we begin to notice an improvement in his unfortunate negative.
I could care less about scouting reports from college and his yet again dropping a bomb in his first regular season game. He makes plays that negate his drops. I sure as hell will take his drop with the good he did in the game without any other drops.

I am not going to put a microscope on his one drop.

Him being a threat opens up plays for the other receivers. I dare other teams defenses to lay off and let him go deep without coverage in every game.

That pass he dropped he was more or less wide open. Yes that sounds bad but if I were other teams I would not be of the mindset to underestimate him.

You all quibble over his occassional drops and I will watch as his teammates benefit from him being on the field. His threat alone negates dropped bombs like the one he dropped week 1.

You can discuss how he will hurt our team with drops all you want but I doubt any team going against us will lay off our poor catching rookie.

He will win rookie of the year and that will be with him dropping some big passes. Meanwhile our offense will get better due to him being a part of it.

I could care less about scouting reports from college and his yet again dropping a bomb in his first regular season game. He makes plays that negate his drops. I sure as hell will take his drop with the good he did in the game without any other drops.

I am not going to put a microscope on his one drop.

Him being a threat opens up plays for the other receivers. I dare other teams defenses to lay off and let him go deep without coverage in every game.

That pass he dropped he was more or less wide open. Yes that sounds bad but if I were other teams I would not be of the mindset to underestimate him.

You all quibble over his occassional drops and I will watch as his teammates benefit from him being on the field. His threat alone negates dropped bombs like the one he dropped week 1.

You can discuss how he will hurt our team with drops all you want but I doubt any team going against us will lay off our poor catching rookie.

He will win rookie of the year and that will be with him dropping some big passes. Meanwhile our offense will get better due to him being a part of it.

My point was that this isn't any prisoner of any one moment. Because it's simply not. You saying you don't care about his college play is just burying your head in the sand. Which is fine and you do that. I'll continue on realistically.

And no one is taking away his positives. No one has tried to, or wants to, do that at all. We're all aware here of his positives.

Or, it's his game. Period. No further disclaimers. The Texans took him the first round because of everything positive he brought to the table, and were apparently willing to accept the one negative that he brings as well. You talk about being realistic, but it is not realistic to think that this negative is going to get "coached" out of him at this point in his career. It is what it is. Learn to accept it. If it is something that improves in his pro career, then great. If not, the positives still vastly outweigh the negatives.

I would like to see him become more consistent with catching open balls and improve his ability to break press coverage. Besides those, hes checking off many other boxes. Offense was exciting to watch for the first time in a bit and it was nice to see the Hopkins or Bust model go away.

Or, it's his game. Period. No further disclaimers. The Texans took him the first round because of everything positive he brought to the table, and were apparently willing to accept the one negative that he brings as well. You talk about being realistic, but it is not realistic to think that this negative is going to get "coached" out of him at this point in his career. It is what it is. Learn to accept it. If it is something that improves in his pro career, then great. If not, the positives still vastly outweigh the negatives.

Don't disagree with that at all. Just keeping some bit of optimism.

Guess I haven't read it as complaining so much as addressing an area of concern. Because it's an area of concern.

It's not an area of concern when everyone knew it would happen. Hopefully he can get better, but otherwise it's simply as advertised. All one can hope for is that he doesn't drop it when the game is on the line and live with his occasional drop. With the concentration he's shown after making a mistake however, I doubt he would in situations where he absolutely cannot afford to drop it.

In that case, let's address all of those drops from Hopkins because those two big drops could have easily been touchdowns.

Hopkins has proven himself over the past few years, Fuller has not yet

It's not an area of concern when everyone knew it would happen. Hopefully he can get better, but otherwise it's simply as advertised. All one can hope for is that he doesn't drop it when the game is on the line and live with his occasional drop. With the concentration he's shown after making a mistake however, I doubt he would in situations where he absolutely cannot afford to drop it.

Knowing it would happen doesn't make it less an area of concern. That makes no sense really. It's reason not to be surprised, but it's still of concern.

The rest is essentially what myself and some have said almost to a t. Except I still hold my breath a bit about what kind of situation we may see this part of his game rear it's head. None of this amounts to mass complaining though. Just discussing the pros and cons of our new weapon/toy.

In that case, let's address all of those drops from Hopkins because those two big drops could have easily been touchdowns.

They can be discussed by anyone, certainly. Knock yourself out if you like. Didn't know that he had the same m.o. as Fuller and so it was of equal concern though.

Could you show me where that's been evidenced please?

Knowing it would happen doesn't make it less an area of concern. That makes no sense really. It's reason not to be surprised, but it's still of concern.

The rest is essentially what myself and some have said almost to a t. Except I still hold my breath a bit about what kind of situation we may see this part of his game rear it's head. None of this amounts to mass complaining though. Just discussing the pros and cons of our new weapon/toy.

They can be discussed by anyone, certainly. Knock yourself out if you like. Didn't know that he had the same m.o. as Fuller and so it was of equal concern though.

Could you show me where that's been evidenced please?

Should have seen the game thread then. When Fuller had the drop, some people damn near lost their minds. If it was AJ or Nuk, people would go "Gotta catch that. Oh well, he will make it up." With Fuller, it was like "OMG HOW COULD YOU DO THAT?"

Point is, drops happen, especially someone with a history of dropping it a bit more. Like Brock said, we just move on and catch the next one. Next play always.

Hopkins has proven himself over the past few years, Fuller has not yet
True, but Hopkins and even Andre Johnson dropped passes here and there, and still do although they have already proven themselves. Now, I'm not saying Fuller should get a pass cause he's a rookie, but he's making big plays for us. Drops are to be expected from every receiver from time to time.

True, but Hopkins and even Andre Johnson dropped passes here and there, and still do although they have already proven themselves. Now, I'm not saying Fuller should get a pass cause he's a rookie, but he's making big plays for us. Drops are to be expected from every receiver from time to time.

But Fuller, unlike Hopkins, showed a propensity for a high drop rate in college and hasn't proven anything here yet to say that won't continue... that's all people are concerned about

One of them might have been six. The other would have been called back because they called offensive pass interference on him.

Some more than others, no?

One of them might have been six. The other would have been called back because they called offensive pass interference on him.

TBH, I'm not really "concerned"..Just nitpicking word use there...

If Fuller never improves on that particular aspect but continues to develop as a WR in other areas he is still going to be dynamic for us...

I just want to see him improve on it so that he becomes an even better player. No one has railed against the guy and called him a bad player. I've been on the Fuller bandwagon for a while now and even before the draft I said I'd be excited if we picked him.

Honestly, I cannot figure out why anyone would have an issue with someone saying that the drops thing is something they want to see him get better at and be less a part of who he is as a receiver or even pointing out that it's a thing with him.

Last edited:
And others have brought up the point that he could do it in a late game situation. That's true. It's also very likely that one dropped catch wouldn't be the entire reason we lost or the only error.

That aside, whether it comes late in the game or on the very first offensive play, you may not always get a chance to "make up for it".

If Jacoby wasn't know for bad decisions then the fumble punt against Baltimore is not as big of a deal. Yeah, people would still be mad, but if it's a rare occurrence you get more leeway. Same thing with a player that's on the team right now...Hopkins. Hopkins has made a bunch of difficult catches and generally has reliable hands. So no one is going to harp too much when he drops the occasional pass.

If you are constantly late for a meeting then you are the late guy. If you're late once after being incredibly consistent then it's looked at as a once off occurrence. Fuller was know for dropping passes in college. He dropped them in preseason and he dropped a very catch-able one in the first game he played. It's a thing. Until he makes it not a thing.

Last edited:

Didn't that Andre Johnson guy have an issue with drops early in his career?

I think Fuller/Strong/B. Miller development during the season will go a long way towards determining who will be paying DHop a big contract in the future. I'm basing that on OB having been in the Patriots system for a few years and seeing how BB did things. I can easily envision trading DHop or letting him walk if OB thinks one of the other three can give the same level of production.

Not really trying to make an excuse, but I'd point out that catching over the shoulder catches is probably the hardest ball to reel in. I feel like if they could get his head turned around slightly quicker so he had a bit more time to read the pass might help him.

As an aside, I'm really impressed with Brock's ability to absolutely nail those deep throws...caught or not.

So we can't discuss and be concerned about a guy with a history of drops because...he has a history of drops?

Should we not also discuss Clowney and Cushing's injuries because they have a history of being injured?

Better yet, we have a history of not winning Super Bowls so let's just shut this down.

Sounds ridiculous right?

I still believe the concern is a bit premature. It's only week 1 & it disn't cost us a game. Not even close. In fact, I think he more than made up for it. To me expressing concern now feels like you've been waiting all summer to say, "I told you so!"

I think there's a line of thinking where mistakes should be avoided at all costs. That's what Kubiak did, to the point that he didn't trust the team he put together to do the job he brought them together to do.

Same with O'brien & Fitzpatrick.

Chan Gailey... he let Fitzpatrick be Fitzpatrick. For now anyway. Instead of focusing on not making mistakes, he works on getting better at making plays.

This league is about making plays. You don't put the ball in your playmaker's hands & say don't make a mistake. You put it in their hands & say go make a play.

Remember how Bettis felt when he fumbled that ball away? Then when he came back & scored the winning TD?

I'll reserve judgment of Fuller until I see how he responds when the game is on the line. I'm not going to make a big deal about a drop that didn't effect the outcome of the game. Especially when the guy we think my has amazing hands dropped two, one in the end zone. Drops happen.

I'll be more critical after Thanksgiving. Even more so in January.

I still believe the concern is a bit premature. It's only week 1 & it didn't cost us a game. Not even close. In fact, I think he more than made up for it. To me expressing concern now feels like you've been waiting all summer to say, "I told you so!"

Maybe I think about things differently...maybe not...

After all those years of sitting with coaches watching film, I don't get the big deal about saying "hey you made a mistake here that you've made a few times before...I want you to continue to get better in that area...." and then keep watching film and looking at other plays. Making a comment about a specific play or issue with a players game is not condemning that player all together.

I'm pretty sure his position coach and OB have made some comment about the drops. Fuller has heard something because he's talked about making a conscious effort in that area. Do you think Fuller himself of his coaches have been waiting to say "I told you so"?

Or do you think that OB and his position coach are like "F it hahaha...Dropped balls, smopped balls"..."Who gives a ****"?

I think there's a line of thinking where mistakes should be avoided at all costs. That's what Kubiak did, to the point that he didn't trust the team he put together to do the job he brought them together to do.

That I agree with and I don't think that anyone has said stop going to Fuller or he sucks and he can't be trusted.

When Kubiak was here I said he often got the upset stomach face on the sidelines and I felt like he was too anti-mistake which in turn caused his team to be too uptight and actually led to more mistakes. I

Wade Smith seemed to confirm this on the radio the other day when he was asked what he thought the difference was between Jacoby in Houston and Jacoby in Baltimore..

He said that the Texans don't always let players fully be themselves. Not that they have strict rules, but it's tighter than other teams and he thinks that when Jacoby went to Baltimore he was able to fully be himself and didn't feel like he had as much of a filter on or off the field. FWIW.

After all those years of sitting with coaches watching film, I don't get the big deal about saying "hey you made a mistake here that you've made a few times before...I want you to continue to get better in that area...." .

If that's all you're saying, & I believe it is, then I'm not talking about you.

While no one has flat out said it, I feel there are those using this as an, "I told you" moment.

Yes it was a problem in college. I think there's plenty of evidence to show that he's worked on it & no reason to believe he won't continue to work on it.

One drop in his first game on 11 targets is not a trend. Let's wait till week 5 & see how many he dropped before we say it's an issue. He may not drop another on his next hundred targets.

After all those years of sitting with coaches watching film, I don't get the big deal about saying "hey you made a mistake here that you've made a few times before...I want you to continue to get better in that area...." and then keep watching film and looking at other plays. Making a comment about a specific play or issue with a players game is not condemning that player all together.

I'm pretty sure his position coach and OB have made some comment about the drops. Fuller has heard something because he's talked about making a conscious effort in that area. Do you think Fuller himself of his coaches have been waiting to say "I told you so"?

Or do you think that OB and his position coach are like "F it hahaha...Dropped balls, smopped balls"..."Who gives a ****"?

That I agree with and I don't think that anyone has said stop going to Fuller or he sucks and he can't be trusted.

When Kubiak was here I said he often got the upset stomach face on the sidelines and I felt like he was too anti-mistake which in turn caused his team to be too uptight and actually led to more mistakes. I

Wade Smith seemed to confirm this on the radio the other day when he was asked what he thought the difference was between Jacoby in Houston and Jacoby in Baltimore..

He said that the Texans don't always let players fully be themselves. Not that they have strict rules, but it's tighter than other teams and he thinks that when Jacoby went to Baltimore he was able to fully be himself and didn't feel like he had as much of a filter on or off the field. FWIW.

Well if Jacoby wasn't paasing out at stop lights, missing flights etc.... I might agree with you.

Fact is as a rookie Jacoby was doing great, then Hunter the punter broke his collarbone and he became afraid to go over the middle.

Last edited:
If the game is on the line why would he even pass to Fuller, it should go to DHop...

Back