Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Your thoughts on Will Fuller

Will Fuller

• Do you not like the pick & hope it blows up in whoever's face?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Did you like the pick, but grew to not?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
You guys should be careful. I was called a hater for saying WFV hadn't done anything in the league yet during preseason. Imagine how big of haters you guys are for talking about his drop.

You guys should be careful. I was called a hater for saying WFV hadn't done anything in the league yet during preseason. Imagine how big of haters you guys are for talking about his drop.
I don't consider myself a hater. Having a guy that can stretch the defense and be a HR threat for us has been something we've been lacking for a long time. He's not quite as dexterous as we would like but you've gotten take the bad with the good, right?

The much more difficult catch he made on the sideline afterwards tells me that his earlier TD drop was more of a concentration thing...combined with a little nerves this being his 1st game and all. Demaryius Thomas and few others I can't recall right now were said to have similar issues coming out of college too & they turned out just fine. I have no doubt he'll put in the work though and as he matures & learns how to be a WR on this level, I suspect that it won't be that big of an issue going forward in his career.

Its a concentration thing, its almost like when he doesn't have time to think and reacts he does a much better job, but on the long bombs, he is losing his concentration for some reason or the other, the big question is there something that can be done, or exercises, thought methods, that he can employ to help him keep his focus better. All of his other catches were so much harder from a skill only stand point than the bomb he dropped, its in his hands to catch, it about getting his mind right. It sucks because if he makes that catch the Bears probably don't score that TD before halftime.

Would it be ok if we wait until then to debate it?

The way we're going, we'll use up all the good points before it even happens.
Sure, but what else would we have to talk about? The defense played great, Lamar Miller was the only RB in the NFL to rush for 100 yards yesterday, and even Osweiler looked good. Not that Fuller didn't, since we're talking about a guy that had 107 receiving yards and a TD in his NFL debut yesterday. Hard to complain with the type of impact he had on the game.

Wouldn't that drop have been an 80+ yard TD reception? Why are you only giving him +20 yards on it?
because at time I posted I did not know yardage nor took time to find it. I simply used the average he ended up with as I knew it; the extra 60 would only underline my POV.

Fullers drop was not that easy of a catch. Running at full speed and stretching out for a ball that is just inside your reach while maintain your stride on the edge of control is a very hard catch for any receiver. The acrobatic catches in the air are actually easier since your full concentration can be on making the catch once your feet leave the ground. Anyone who has caught and dropped balls over the shoulder while running at full speed knows this is the truth.

If anybody posts the winning or losing in one play then that's on them not the player involved.

Hop dropped at least one yesterday yet we're not debating that.

The game is full of key plays that make a difference. That drop by Fuller seemed more important because it could of been spectacular but was it really??

I'm not really Ok with the drops and my thought process isn't 'win some, lose some'...

Of course it's great that he makes up for it, but as he grows as a player he needs to drop a lot fewer of those. May not always get a chance to make up for it.
He caught 5 of his 15 targets, 4 were bad passes and he dropped 1. What exactly is a lot fewer than 1??? DHop dropped one also.
Which is exactly why I'd just like to see him drop less of them which would decrease the odds that he'd have one that would cost us all together.

But the thing is, even if he were to drop a game winning score, there would probably be a million other things in the game that went wrong for there to even be a reason we'd need a deep late bomb to him.

'Yeah he dropped that one pass, but what about the other messed up plays that got us to that point...'

I became a big fan of Fuller after we drafted him so folks acting like I'm picking on him for the ONE drop are barking up the wrong tree. Check the post history. I said early on the guy isn't just a deep threat and that he has some really nice hand catches. Watch his ND film. I think he was underrated by some in the draft process including myself.

The guy just went and had the best opening day for a rookie wr in Texans history. You can't really ask for much better than that.

BUT....I want to see him drop the ball a bit less. Sorry if that offends people. Not really.
So you want to see him drop a little less than 1 pass. You do realize that DHop also dropped a pass in the game, he's a bum I tell ya.

Edited to add: If you look at his 5 passes caught, 4 of them were not easy catches.

Jeffery and Hopkins both dropped passes on potential big plays yesterday as well. We all know how much those guys suck. Insert eye roll here.

Last edited:
He caught 5 of his 15 targets, 4 were bad passes and he dropped 1. What exactly is a lot fewer than 1??? DHop dropped one also.

So you want to see him drop a little less than 1 pass. You do realize that DHop also dropped a pass in the game, he's a bum I tell ya.

Edited to add: If you look at his 5 passes caught, 4 of them were not easy catches.
caught 5 + 4 were bad passes and 1 dropped = 10. 15 targets and 10 accounted for so..what happened to the other 5? :thinking:

caught 5 + 4 were bad passes and 1 dropped = 10. 15 targets and 10 accounted for so..what happened to the other 5? :thinking:
I messed up my targets thought I deleted the post, he had 11 targets, but even that doesn't add up. All I know is he only dropped 1. Backm to sleep for me.

Just watched the game finally.

Anyone that wants to compare Fuller to Jacoby is a frikkin idiot.

Fuller missed that easy catch, you gotta catch those! Easy money.

But he caught 4 hard catches, in his hands mind you.

He runs stellar routes and gets open. Defenses will have to plan for this guy.

And with the ball in his hands he is dangerous. Not just north and south but east west and hyperspace.

Jacoby couldn't run a route or get open or do anything a real wide receiver does.

Fuller is exactly what we needed opposite Hopkins. Hoppy may need to step up his game!

Oh and Alshon dropped an easy catch yesterday = Jacoby.

Last edited:
Reactions: ROO
And nice to actually see some TE action yesterday!

At first I thought it was going to be a penalty. I was like, "You can't throw it to him you dumbasse!!!"

Then Charles Davis was praising Osweiler & I was like, "You idi0t, he's not eligible!!"

& the refs were giving us the first down symbol & I was like, "Really? But it's so easy. Why haven't we done this before?"

That O'Brien is a genius. The league won't know what hit them.

And, to me, the worry seems to be real. He was wide open on that drop on what could have been an 80+ yard TD reception. It also came at a point in the game where we were losing. The debate is legitimate: what happens when the drop actually costs us a game?

What happens if Hopkins tears his ACL next game?

I vote for this to be "Best TexansTalk Thread" of 2016! I was laughing my azz off! Thanks guys, y'all are too awesome! Keep up the good work!!!

I wanted either Corey Coleman or Will Fuller. We got Fuller so I was extremely happy because I watch this young ball at Notre Dame. And man was he big time.

I wanted to add that dropping an over the shoulder/head pass is much more difficult than a pass that you've turned around for. Not an excuse for a pro player, but the reaction time is a lot smaller as the ball is dropping in to your range by the time that you see it.

PS. Our QB is throwing some darts on the field.

This might be the longest conversation about a non-catch that did not impact the outcome of the game...
You have to admit this is an unusual situation.
You tell me the last time a Texans' offense took a deep shot (when we weren't trying to climb out of deep hole late in the game) from their own 17 yd line and nearly pull it off.
I honest to gawd do not remember.

it was with 1:46 to go until the half for those who want to look at it again. I went back and looked to see if it was a case of him just not locating the ball soon enough or if it was fumble fingers. Unfortunately, it was the latter. But again, that can be worked on.

w0LHb9i.gif

It's the first Texans screen pass I can remember that worked. Texans have been vulnerable to screen passes but poor at executing them.
You know, our previously poor execution of the screen pass may have contributed to the defense being unable to stop them, after all they never had to face a working screen play in practice.

Reactions: ROO
Wentz likely has this in the bag being the 2nd pick and being a QB who won his first game.

Voted for Fuller though.

The guy for the Titans had 5 chain moving conversion catches. Not a bad game for him either.

John Harris brought up an interesting nugget....

The two Wr's (maybe all positions) who had THE smallest hands at the combine had the best in statistical categories for rookie WR's...

Fuller most yards and Taje Sharpe most catches.

Back