Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Your thoughts on Will Fuller

Will Fuller

• Do you not like the pick & hope it blows up in whoever's face?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Did you like the pick, but grew to not?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Even if CB speed equals Fuller speed.............ADVANTAGE>>>>Offensive player over Defensive player...............the Offensive player knows what he is about to do and where he is going to go...........the Defensive player is left more to guess and react..................I like that chess matchup for Fuller.
Even better from what I've seen, Fuller doesn't know always know what or where he is going after he is glued by defender. He just gets there real quick. If I were coach, he'd start on outside and Strong is inside every play. I don't think I would ever have less than three WRs in play. Os is strong enough to take some hits and get rid of ball.

Defenses we face should be enticed to aggressively rush QB with little apparent protection. This is where we need a QB that can remain calm, know where target is and execute. Our Oline needs to buy him about 1.7 seconds before he will feel pressure. What concerns me is a quick corner blitzing with RB not picking up or being the targeted recipient. I am not sure Os has experience to pick up on that.

Even better from what I've seen, Fuller doesn't know always know what or where he is going after he is glued by defender. He just gets there real quick. If I were coach, he'd start on outside and Strong is inside every play. I don't think I would ever have less than three WRs in play. Os is strong enough to take some hits and get rid of ball.

Defenses we face should be enticed to aggressively rush QB with little apparent protection. This is where we need a QB that can remain calm, know where target is and execute. Our Oline needs to buy him about 1.7 seconds before he will feel pressure. What concerns me is a quick corner blitzing with RB not picking up or being the targeted recipient. I am not sure Os has experience to pick up on that.

You do know that 1.7 seconds will not get you much since the fastest of these receivers took over 4 seconds to do a straight ( uncontested ) 40 yards !

You do know that 1.7 seconds will not get you much since the fastest of these receivers took over 4 seconds to do a straight ( uncontested ) 40 yards !

That's 1.7 seconds to the release of the ball. Add the time it takes for the ball to get where it's going and you've got 3-4 seconds, depending on the arc of the ball and the strength of the arm.

That's 1.7 seconds to the release of the ball. Add the time it takes for the ball to get where it's going and you've got 3-4 seconds, depending on the arc of the ball and the strength of the arm.

No matter how you look at it 40 yd in the air pass plays are hen's teeth. You simply don't build your offense around that. 11 yds whenever I want it is the key to championships. Look at 90s Cowboys or 00s Patriots - unstoppable 7-15 yds. It ain't sexy but it works.

No matter how you look at it 40 yd in the air pass plays are hen's teeth. You simply don't build your offense around that. 11 yds whenever I want it is the key to championships. Look at 90s Cowboys or 00s Patriots - unstoppable 7-15 yds. It ain't sexy but it works.
The Coryell offense, also known as Air Coryell, also known as the Vertical Offense, is a deep passing offense built around fast receivers. The deep pass is the QB's first option/read.

We have the personnel, minus the TE (ie, Windslow) to effectively run this offense, although some variations minimizes the TE's role. Whether OB's intent is to run Air Coryell, we'll have to wait and see. But I would like to see this offense implemented.

You're offense can be amazing all season long and in the playoffs and still not win the championship (Patriots a few years ago anyone?)

So instead I wanted to look at his playoff record

If wikipedia is correct (could be wrong who knows) it was 3-6 (NFL) Not exactly world burning. Coryell has a very impressive college record but it is hard to out athlete people in the NFL, and overall defensive schemes are better as well so they can compensate for a difference of athleticism to a certain degree.

So the answer was none. Gibbs' championships were built on rushing.
The Coryell offense is built around three key weapons: 1) A strong, inside running game; 2) Ability to strike deep; 3) Ability to incorporate mid-range routes to the TE, receivers and RB.

The passing game is based on timing and rhythm, with receivers in motion and with the receivers having two or three route options depending upon the defensive reads.

Last edited:
Coryell's schemes are almost 40 years old and reshaped the nfl passing game. I'd compare it to zone blocking schemes or a west coast offense in that every team does it at least a little.

Simply adding speed doesn't make this a Coryell offense.

After 2 years, in truth, I still have no idea what this offense really is. It was easy to look at the dominant 2 te offense the patriots fielded and think we might try to replicate that. Instead, we have marginal te's who can neither catch or block.

We were also led to believe this was a super versatile game plan offense. Variable was/is the hot trend in the nfl like cocaine in the 80's and bow ties today. But to be variable wouldn't we have to be good at more then one thing? Is there even one thing this offense is good at? I've seen average game planning but nothing masterful that indicates we are "variable."

In fairness, few offenses look good with marginal qb play - the lone exception being a worldly running game.

I will say im intrigued by whispers of an "edge" position. Wtf is an edge player/position? The easy guess is a match up problem for the defense. I look at our personnel and wonder who can fill that role. Is it brax miller if we maintain some wildcat concepts? Is it Tyler Ervin who will hopefully prove to be a matchup issue when motioned from rb to wr? Did jalen strong gain 10-20lbs of muscle over the offseason and turn into a modern day Shannon Sharp? I don't know.

What i do see is an increase in speed and playmaking possibility. That's a bonus to any offense, Coryell or otherwise.

I don't think we or maybe even coaches know what our offensive package will be until the players get familiar with playbook. The Oline will be deciding factor IMO indicating how long OS has to get ball in the air. Miller will get yardage on ground but most of that will be catching the D leaning back to defend against pass where he should excel. I could see the draw play becoming a productive part of the scheme.

We might not have a "run & shoot" but I could see some plays that have OS launching to a spot and WRs going after it. Strong and Hopkins have enough speed to get there but more importantly ability to bring ball in against contested plays. Not bringing up old news but why I wanted Docston. Fuller if he can learn some NFL "technique" can be just as effective.

Kid's still finding his way and still managed 100 yds and a touch in his 1 st game...it's like I said in another thread, he's gonna be a problem for defenses by the end of the year..

Rookie WRs usually have rocky starts so this is a very promising sign for the young guy. Dropped a big one but he was consistently burning the opposition.

Looks like we have our own Desean Jackson to watch each week. Should be a lot of fun. The play he broke loose on that short pass play and the sideline pass for a TD was something special that not just any receiver could get after the catch. Unfortunately he dropped another td pass, overall an epic first game debut. Pretty excited.

Looks like we have our own Desean Jackson to watch each week. Should be a lot of fun. The play he broke loose on that short pass play and the sideline pass for a TD was something special that not just any receiver could get after the catch. Unfortunately he dropped another td pass, overall an epic first game debut. Pretty excited.

A legitimate deep threat along with a quarterback that likes to throw it deep. What's not to like? :)

He is as advertised, he's going to make some plays that will win some ball games and not make some plays that will lose some ball games.

Sure he's going to drop three of his nine passes per game. But those are nine passes that wouldn't be possible if we hadn't drafted him.

Last edited:
Sure he's going to drop three of his nine passes per game. But those are nine passes that wouldn't be possible if we hadn't drafted him.

This, as far as I am concerned, what Fuller brings to the table far outweighs his occasional drops. It is also not set in stone that he can't improve either. I remember Yao Ming of the Houston Rockets practicing exercise drills catching tennis balls to help him catch fast passes better. I wonder if the same could be used with Fuller.

Is he wearing the same "stick'um" gloves those one handed catchers are wearing?

When Fuller drops a pass(es) that keep the Texans out of the playoffs or cause them to lose in the playoffs, Texans fans will be ready to ship him out faster than they can say Jacoby Jones.

When Fuller drops a pass(es) that keep the Texans out of the playoffs or cause them to lose in the playoffs, Texans fans will be ready to ship him out faster than they can say Jacoby Jones.

Scarily I agree with Texian. A drop like that comes in crunch time and tunes will change.

Scarily I agree with Texian. A drop like that comes in crunch time and tunes will change.

Sure.

We'll turn if that giraffe sails the ball over Fuller’s head, or if Hopkins gets an opi, or if Lamar fumbles, or if Newton is called for holding.

Any of those things happen in crunch time & this team will struggle to be as great as we want them to be.

Sure.

We'll turn if that giraffe sails the ball over Fuller’s head, or if Hopkins gets an opi, or if Lamar fumbles, or if Newton is called for holding.

Any of those things happen in crunch time & this team will struggle to be as great as we want them to be.

No doubt and I guess I was being Capt. Obvious. Today it's easy to shrug off. Another, not so much. As you say applies to any position. But 1st rounders get more scrutiny.

I was completely wrong about Fuller. I thought he was going to spend a lot of time on the turf due to his slight build. Did not figure he would run right by them instead.

Not much I can say that hasn't been said. But my take-a-way is that Hopkins' stats are going to suffer. Not that this is necessarily bad, but we do have to get him under a new contract. Fuller could be a candidate for rookie of the year.

As a fantasy football player, one of the things I've hated over the years about the Patriots' offense is that one player's stats can vary so much from week to week. I think there are going to be weeks that Hopkins explodes for a big game, and then the next game goes silent while Fuller explodes for a big game, and then he goes silent and Braxton Miller explodes for a big game. Overall, I think Hopkins' stats might suffer because he's not the week-in/week-out only thread a defense has to worry about, but I think that might be offset by the big games he's going to have in this offense.

At least, that's what I'm hoping.

I'm not really Ok with the drops and my thought process isn't 'win some, lose some'...

Of course it's great that he makes up for it, but as he grows as a player he needs to drop a lot fewer of those. May not always get a chance to make up for it.

He is as advertised, he's going to make some plays that will win some ball games and not make some plays that will lose some ball games.

Even if I agreed with that, him being in the field presents a deep threat that stretches a defense. When was the last time a rookie wide receiver got over 100 yards in his very first game?

And to think, Fuller isn't even the one the coaches are gushing over.

I'm not really Ok with the drops and my thought process isn't 'win some, lose some'...

Of course it's great that he makes up for it, but as he grows as a player he needs to drop a lot fewer of those. May not always get a chance to make up for it.

He dropped ONE pass. All WR's drop passes. Andre Johnson had his fair share of drops and everyone loved him. I remember when AJ drops a pass and all of us are like "NP! He will make it up the next time!" and when he gets that next big play, everyone is like "See! Go AJ!" Nuk has his drops and everyone loves him. I feel there is almost a double standard here and that's interesting. The only difference is that Fuller has the ability to be frequently open for a TD. What some need to realize is that without Fuller, that pass would have never even been there to begin with.

He dropped ONE pass.

Did you just crawl from under a rock or come out of a cocoon or something? Or do you just not get it?

Dude has been dropping ONE pass every time he gets on the field. Dropping ONE pass every game or so is not something that should be acceptable. And the killer part about his drops is that they arent on some curl route or little slant...some 10 yard in route...

He has shown a knack for dropping sure fire house calls and big chunk plays when he has done everything else he needed to do to get open.

And do you think the coaches or ******* Fuller himself are shrugging off that ONE drop issue he has? Yeah it's an "issue" because this isn't an every blue moon occurrence.

And I really like Fuller and very shortly after we drafted him and I looked into him deeper I became a big fan of his. So I'm not railing against the guy. I'm just pointing out that this is an issue that he needs to work on because if he wants to be a great player then he can't be dropping those passes as often as he does.

Last edited:
Reactions: ROO
He dropped ONE pass. All WR's drop passes. Andre Johnson had his fair share of drops and everyone loved him. I remember when AJ drops a pass and all of us are like "NP! He will make it up the next time!" and when he gets that next big play, everyone is like "See! Go AJ!" Nuk has his drops and everyone loves him. I feel there is almost a double standard here and that's interesting. The only difference is that Fuller has the ability to be frequently open for a TD. What some need to realize is that without Fuller, that pass would have never even been there to begin with.

Meh, Fuller is a new talking point... people will love/hate him after a season or two.

Did you just crawl from under a rock or come out of a cocoon or something? Or do you just not get it?

Dude has been dropping ONE pass every time he gets on the field. Dropping ONE pass every game or so is not something that should be acceptable.

And do you think the coaches or ******* Fuller himself are shrugging off that ONE drop issue he has?

AJ usually had at least one drop per game... j/s

And Fuller only has one game to have a drop in

While I agree that his drops could develop into a problem, but they haven't developed into a problem yet AND he appears to be the kind of guy who is working to improve.

With that said, there's not a WR out there that catches everything thrown his way, and lots of the big-time receivers drop some that hit them right in the hands (like Alshon Jeffery and Demaryus Thomas and Dez Bryant.)

I'm thrilled with what I've seen so far from Fuller, and I'll worry about the drops when they start to be a problem.

Sure he did, in some other universe.

We must be living in a different universe then, because I remember AJ would drop the ball at least once a game. Fact is, all WR's drop the ball. Fuller was known to do that before even being drafted. As long as he makes up for it, I really don't see the issue here. It's like buying something knowing about a specific issue and then still getting stupidly upset when it happens.

Do you guys realize I'm the one who resurrected this thread? I didn't say anything about his drops until it came into the discussion. I brought this thread up because he was extremely impressive like I figured he'd be.

You mamma bears acting like this is just some random issue that people are railing on need to get your head out of the sand.

This is a known issue. It's been talked about by Fuller himself. He's actively worked on fixing it. This issue was there in college, it was there in preseason and its showed up in his first game.

Unless you are Will Fullers mom then you should not take such a defensive stance when people point out that dropping those big play balls so often is something he needs to continue to work on. Especially when Will Fuller himself has said the same.

Last edited:
Reactions: ROO
Back