Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Will the Texans get desperate in their search of a GM and HC?

amazing80

Hall of Fame
The problem people have with Steel is he turns every thread into a bashing DW4 thread. Bob gets fired and has a thread, he turns it around on Watson. Thread about GM’s, he turns it around to be about Watson bashing. We get it dude, you don’t think he can, enough already.

I strongly disagree with him, but I have a little more respect for him then I do Texian, who bailed this site because his trash talk about Watson made him look ridiculous when he was tearing it up. Now that Watson has been in a funk he is back out of the shadows. Can’t wait for this win streak to start up with Watson killing it again so he vanishes.

mws

Rookie
QB percentage of 2020 cap space according to Over the Cap.

Wilson - 15.5%
Prescott - 14.4%
Goff - 14.1%
Garoppolo - 12.9%
Brady - 12.2%
Brees - 11.9%
Roethlisberger - 11.8%
Cousins - 10.6%
Rogers - 10.6%
Rivers - 10.4%
Tannehill - 10.2%
Stafford - 9.9%
Carr - 9.8%
Smith - 9.7%
Ryan - 9.4%
Wentz - 8.4%
Bridgewater - 6.7%
---------------------
Watson - 4.5%

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

Wilson - 15.5%
Prescott - 14.4%
Goff - 14.1%
Garoppolo - 12.9%
Brady - 12.2%
Brees - 11.9%
Roethlisberger - 11.8%
Cousins - 10.6%
Rogers - 10.6%
Rivers - 10.4%
Tannehill - 10.2%
Stafford - 9.9%
Carr - 9.8%
Smith - 9.7%
Ryan - 9.4%
Wentz - 8.4%
Bridgewater - 6.7%
---------------------
Watson - 4.5%
This 1-4 yr.

Decim8

Veteran

Wilson - 15.5%
Prescott - 14.4%
Goff - 14.1%
Garoppolo - 12.9%
Brady - 12.2%
Brees - 11.9%
Roethlisberger - 11.8%
Cousins - 10.6%
Rogers - 10.6%
Rivers - 10.4%
Tannehill - 10.2%
Stafford - 9.9%
Carr - 9.8%
Smith - 9.7%
Ryan - 9.4%
Wentz - 8.4%
Bridgewater - 6.7%
---------------------
Watson - 4.5%
So you're telling me we have a chance at winning the superbowl this year? :troll:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
For the record. I don't dislike @steelbtexan. We probably agree on more things than we disagree. It's one of the reasons I don't keep him on the ignore list. But when it comes to Watson, we disagree because he believes the book has been written while I think this is only a chapter and willing to see where the story goes.
Earl, we agree on most things like BOB wasn't the man for the job to bring a championship to Kirby. I've been called a BOB supporter by some on this MB and that's just not true. I did want him to get a chance to show us what his vision for the team was when he got to FULLY call the shots. That happened and now he's gone.

I think Bienemy will be the next HC because that's what DW4 wants. I wonder how Bienemy will react if say a Kelce is on the board for the Texans to draft in the 3rd rd or Hill is there in the 5th and the new GM is unable to draft them because they're deemed not Texans Worthy.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
KC will figure it out....maybe the new GM will to.
Mahomes agreed to a Brady style team friendly contract. His cap hit in 2020 is only 2.4%. That’s what allowed the chiefs to retain their big name players after winning a SB which is almost unheard of and later go after guys like Bell.

Even in later years it doesn’t really ramp up till near the end and I promise you chiefs are banking on the cap going up pretty much every year. They have laid the foundation for a dynasty that could rival the Pats though sadly Mahomes didn’t marry someone that makes more than him so he can focus solely on rings.

I’m not saying Watson did or did not deserve the money but his contract is not team friendly had all and was negotiated by an agent that knew he had the team over a barrel. I don’t blame him, I’d do the same, but let’s not pretend that the contracts are any where close to the same because Mahomes contract doesn’t hurt his team like Watson’s does.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Times are changing. The new guys are getting paid right now and are the next in line to win. Let’s see how it goes.
No they’re not, the NFL is the same business it has been for 50 years now. Just because things are changing for the Texans doesn’t mean they are changing league wide and as long as some scrub team is willing to pay stupid money just to make a splash teams will have to keep breaking the bank to keep their QBs. It’s gotten so bad even the players union has acknowledged they have a QB salary problem

Only way times are really going to change is if they install a Byrd type rule where the QB contract is except from the cap.

amazing80

Hall of Fame
Mahomes agreed to a Brady style team friendly contract. His cap hit in 2020 is only 2.4%. That’s what allowed the chiefs to retain their big name players after winning a SB which is almost unheard of and later go after guys like Bell.

Even in later years it doesn’t really ramp up till near the end and I promise you chiefs are banking on the cap going up pretty much every year. They have laid the foundation for a dynasty that could rival the Pats though sadly Mahomes didn’t marry someone that makes more than him so he can focus solely on rings.

I’m not saying Watson did or did not deserve the money but his contract is not team friendly had all and was negotiated by an agent that knew he had the team over a barrel. I don’t blame him, I’d do the same, but let’s not pretend that the contracts are any where close to the same because Mahomes contract doesn’t hurt his team like Watson’s does.
Mahomes % of the cap is as follows, 2.4, 13.6, 13.8, 17.6, 15.6
Watson’s % of the cap is as follows, 4.5, 8.6, 17.8, 17.6, 13.6

So Mahomes is less this year, more next year, less the third year, the same the fourth, and more the fifth. I would say they are very comparable. You are whining about nothing.

amazing80

Hall of Fame
No they’re not, the NFL is the same business it has been for 50 years now. Just because things are changing for the Texans doesn’t mean they are changing league wide and as long as some scrub team is willing to pay stupid money just to make a splash teams will have to keep breaking the bank to keep their QBs. It’s gotten so bad even the players union has acknowledged they have a QB salary problem

Only way times are really going to change is if they install a Byrd type rule where the QB contract is except from the cap.
Who paid stupid money? Watson’s cap % is very much in line with Mahomes, you are bitching about something that isn’t even a problem.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Mahomes % of the cap is as follows, 2.4, 13.6, 13.8, 17.6, 15.6
Watson’s % of the cap is as follows, 4.5, 8.6, 17.8, 17.6, 13.6

So Mahomes is less this year, more next year, less the third year, the same the fourth, and more the fifth. I would say they are very comparable. You are whining about nothing.
Who paid stupid money? Watson’s cap % is very much in line with Mahomes, you are bitching about something that isn’t even a problem.
First Mahomes signed a 10 year deal which solves KC QB problem for most of a decade and he has already won a SB. Watson hasn’t done anything to prove he’s worth the money and Texans are banking on his potential.

Second I didn’t say the Texans paid stupid money in fact they illustrate my point of what teams have to do so they don’t lose an even decent QB. If a team like say the Jets has a chance to sign Watson they would pay stupid money, just like they did with Bell, to try and give their fan base a shot in the arm. For them it’s it about building for long term it’s about making a short term splash.

Third you are right that they are comparable for first two years but the team situations are completely different and when Watson hits the big money will pretty much be the worst time for the Texans compared to Mahomes. That’s not Watson’s fault by any means but as a fan of the team and not individual players I don’t like it.

Again I don’t blame Watson, I don’t even blame the Texans just looking at Watson’s contract in a vacuum.Fact is though Mahomes brought a championship to his city and Watson hasn’t. Does that mean he never will, I don’t know but I do know it will be much much harder with his new contract.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
My post was a joke on the "Watson is not going to win a Super Bowl" take and just stating that former Patriots' assistants are not winning Super Bowls either.
Since you took my post seriously. When is Watson taking up 15% of the cap?
2022 he is 17.8%

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Again I don’t blame Watson, I don’t even blame the Texans just looking at Watson’s contract in a vacuum.Fact is though Mahomes brought a championship to his city and Watson hasn’t. Does that mean he never will, I don’t know but I do know it will be much much harder with his new contract.
Maybe, maybe not. When the time comes,we’ll see. Brady’s contracts weren’t always “team friendly” Tom always got paid, but he’d always renegotiate to put more cash in his pocket now while “helping” his team free up money.

We’ll see what Watson does when it becomes an issue. We’ll see what Jj Watt does.

Until then it’s just a number that doesn’t mean much yet.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
Maybe, maybe not. When the time comes,we’ll see. Brady’s contracts weren’t always “team friendly” Tom always got paid, but he’d always renegotiate to put more cash in his pocket now while “helping” his team free up money.

We’ll see what Watson does when it becomes an issue. We’ll see what Jj Watt does.

Until then it’s just a number that doesn’t mean much yet.
Good point on Brady taking "team friendly" deals. I always found it a bit disingenuous for the media and fans to boast of Brady "helping" his team free up money. He always renegotiated to get upfront cash. Also, not too many QBs are married to a super model making as much money as other NFL QBs. It's like Bulls' fans claiming Jordan was underpaid when he supplements his NBA income with another $50 million dollars from Nike.

Those guys are not doing "team friendly" deals out of the goodness of their hearts or wanting to win more than other players. It's all about the upfront cash.

KA4Texan

Woof!
Contributor's Club
I dont get why Watsons contract is always thrown out as going to be why the Texans "Cant win" because the huge number is set in stone and nothing can be done.

I understand, the more cap you spend on a player the less you have to spend improving elsewhere...... that part I get.

But remember, Watson was dealing with OB, so YES he wants to maximize his profits..... why not when you know your HC/GM is an insane control freak and will not change.

I dont know Watson personally, BUT IF his pay is the only reason why he and his team can not compete, I can see a restructuring happening, that would both keep him financially happy, but also allow for more talent to to come in and make his job easier.

I think showing the man a willingness to let him play his game, a willingness and capability to get him a defense that holds up or a line that keeps him clean... woukd go a VERY long way to opening up cap room.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
I dont get why Watsons contract is always thrown out as going to be why the Texans "Cant win" because the huge number is set in stone and nothing can be done.

I understand, the more cap you spend on a player the less you have to spend improving elsewhere...... that part I get.

But remember, Watson was dealing with OB, so YES he wants to maximize his profits..... why not when you know your HC/GM is an insane control freak and will not change.

I dont know Watson personally, BUT IF his pay is the only reason why he and his team can not compete, I can see a restructuring happening, that would both keep him financially happy, but also allow for more talent to to come in and make his job easier.

I think showing the man a willingness to let him play his game, a willingness and capability to get him a defense that holds up or a line that keeps him clean... woukd go a VERY long way to opening up cap room.
I agree with you and just ignore the 15% cap narrative because if you're going to say a QB making X has never won a Super Bowl, couldn't we say:
  • A team from Houston has never won the Super Bowl
  • A former Belichick OC has never won a Super Bowl as a HC
  • A HC with a cleft in his chin has never won a Super Bowl
  • A DE from Wisconsin has never lead his team in sacks and won a Super Bowl
  • A LB wearing #41 has never won a Super Bowl
  • A team who gave up two first round picks for a LT has never won a Super Bowl
  • A team with their starting WRs with numbers in the teens have never won a Super Bowl
  • A team with commercials about HEB poppers have never won a Super Bowl (courtesy of @KA4Texan)
If we need to find a reason why the Texans are not going to win a Super Bowl in the next 4 years, I can come with another dozen more ridiculous reasons as the 15% salary stat.

Last edited:

KA4Texan

Woof!
Contributor's Club
I agree with you and just ignore the 15% cap narrative because if you're going to say a QB making X has never won a Super Bowl, couldn't we say:
  • A team from Houston has never won the Super Bowl
  • A former Belichick OC has never won a Super Bowl as a HC
  • A HC with a cleft in his chin has never won a Super Bowl
  • A DE from Wisconsin has never lead his team in sacks and won a Super Bowl
  • A LB wearing #41 has never won a Super Bowl
  • A team who gave up two first round picks for a LT has never won a Super Bowl
  • A team with their starting WRs with numbers in their teens have never won a Super Bowl
If we need to find a reason why the Texans are not going to win a Super Bowl in the next 4 years, I can come with another dozen more ridiculous reasons as the 15% salary stat.
I blame the poppers personally.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Yeah. Didn't help
I am not sure what you want? It is a time to be cautious. If I'm playing with McNairs money I can gamble on Dabo Sweeney. Risking my money I'd be a mite less eager to rush in and spend on a hunch. But that's just me and I have everything I want except a Super Bowl win. If you are sure how the year will end do what you said. 2021 depends on who is running this thing.:shades:

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Never fails to amaze me how any criticize of Watson around here brings out people defending him as though he is their little brother. But sure, yeah ok Texans will break all conventional wisdom of the past 50 years of football and do what no team has ever done and it will all be thanks to Watson.

His salary won’t matter because he will win all on his own. Why should we even hire a coach since according to some the best plan is to just let Watson call all his own plays.

Ignore that no team has ever won with a high dollar QB. Ignore that Watson has serious issues that you can’t all blame on OB. Have faith that when the time to pay him comes up that Watson will take money out of his pocket to help the team. It will all be ok because the only thing holding this team back is gone and all our problems are solved.

Oh and FYI for those saying Brady contracts weren’t team friendly, Brady only had one contract that was considered big money and that was in 2010 after he already brought 3 championships. Also he didn’t marry his super model wife till 2009 so yeah it wasn’t like he had that safety net all his career.

KA4Texan

Woof!
Contributor's Club
If I were playing with my money... we wouldnt be talking major leagues.

We would be talking scratch off league....or at best Madden on PS4.

Im not paying anyone elses bills.

Last edited:

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Never fails to amaze me how any criticize of Watson around here brings out people defending him as though he is their little brother. But sure, yeah ok Texans will break all conventional wisdom of the past 50 years of football and do what no team has ever done and it will all be thanks to Watson.

His salary won’t matter because he will win all on his own. Why should we even hire a coach since according to some the best plan is to just let Watson call all his own plays.

Ignore that no team has ever won with a high dollar QB. Ignore that Watson has serious issues that you can’t all blame on OB. Have faith that when the time to pay him comes up that Watson will take money out of his pocket to help the team. It will all be ok because the only thing holding this team back is gone and all our problems are solved.

Oh and FYI for those saying Brady contracts weren’t team friendly, Brady only had one contract that was considered big money and that was in 2010 after he already brought 3 championships. Also he didn’t marry his super model wife till 2009 so yeah it wasn’t like he had that safety net all his career.

There were some report of Robert Kraft helping Giselle's business career early on.
It's really easy to understand how Kraft's army of lawyers and accountants can help set up shop for new business enterprises to be successful.
And then there are business contacts in high places, too.

These things can be much more valuable than $50M .

KA4Texan

Woof!
Contributor's Club
Are you suggesting crooked dealings in the NFL?

Forget this Im going back to watching Mary Poppins while I eat my poppin poppers.

(Man Im bored)

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Are you suggesting crooked dealings in the NFL?

Forget this Im going back to watching Mary Poppins while I eat my poppin poppers.

(Man Im bored)
No, nothing crooked.
It can be all very legitimate business deals.

But Giselle did help Kraft hooking up with a friend of her. :corrosion:

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
There were some report of Robert Kraft helping Giselle's business career early on.
It's really easy to understand how Kraft's army of lawyers and accountants can help set up shop for new business enterprises to be successful.
And then there are business contacts in high places, too.

These things can be much more valuable than $50M .
Never heard that before but I also have nothing that says it’s not true. If it is you’re right that is worth more but without concrete evidence it’s just rumors. What is concrete is that Brady restructured when he didn’t have to. Both Brady and the Pats said he did it to help give the team spending money on other contracts.

Now I agree Brady got his money but it was usually in signing bonuses and performance bonuses and the years he did get a big pay out was on years that there weren’t any other “must sign” contracts needing done.

badboy

Hall of Fame
The problem people have with Steel is he turns every thread into a bashing DW4 thread. Bob gets fired and has a thread, he turns it around on Watson. Thread about GM’s, he turns it around to be about Watson bashing. We get it dude, you don’t think he can, enough already.

I strongly disagree with him, but I have a little more respect for him then I do Texian, who bailed this site because his trash talk about Watson made him look ridiculous when he was tearing it up. Now that Watson has been in a funk he is back out of the shadows. Can’t wait for this win streak to start up with Watson killing it again so he vanishes.
So...knowing that's what Steel does, they swallow that wriggling worm on a hook? A fish got no brains!

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Never heard that before but I also have nothing that says it’s not true. If it is you’re right that is worth more but without concrete evidence it’s just rumors. What is concrete is that Brady restructured when he didn’t have to. Both Brady and the Pats said he did it to help give the team spending money on other contracts.

Now I agree Brady got his money but it was usually in signing bonuses and performance bonuses and the years he did get a big pay out was on years that there weren’t any other “must sign” contracts needing done.
They were very tight for years, Kraft and the Bradys.
There shall/must be give and take all around to make evrerybody happy.

badboy

Hall of Fame

In 2023 Watson may allow HS contract to be reworked to lower his cap hit also. I'm more worried about 2020 issues than '23.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

76 doesn't know crap. He's rumor mongering.

Brady put winning 1st.