Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

What is Laremy Tunsil's worth in a trade?

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Tyrod Taylor has the talent but his timing has been bad based on where he's played. Maybe the new Texans offense will play into his strengths. First, this new offense is going to run and run some more based on the recent moves. Taylor will be asked to be a safe game manager who can use his legs to give defenses fits. There is a nice group receivers who just might surprise with this new attack.

I believe that injuries have been the toughest thing for Taylor's career. I hope he has a healthy and productive season as the Texans new QB1. A solid running game could go a long way in helping him see a successful 2021.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Tyrod Taylor has the talent but his timing has been bad based on where he's played. Maybe the new Texans offense will play into his strengths. First, this new offense is going to run and run some more based on the recent moves. Taylor will be asked to be a safe game manager who can use his legs to give defenses fits. There is a nice group receivers who just might surprise with this new attack.

I believe that injuries have been the toughest thing for Taylor's career. I hope he has a healthy and productive season as the Texans new QB1. A solid running game could go a long way in helping him see a successful 2021.
He ran what I suspect to be a version of Culley's offense in Baltimore.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Damn i must have had a case of selective dyslexia. I looked at his season records a couple of times and for whatever reason it registered 8-7 for that season.
I have that same thing as I will look at a salad right next to a ribeye and eat the ribeye every time. Selective dyslexia..

mussop

Hall of Fame
There are members that are huge fans of the draft and want an immediate rebuild. It's just not possible this offseason. This Texans rebuild will be a slow and painful process. Like a lot of rebuilds, the current group in the front office and coaching staff may not survive to see the fruit of their labor.
But everyone knows trading Watson is almost a guarantee. If Watson is gone why hold on to Tunsil? We should of started the rebuild months ago with sending Watson to the jets and Tunsil with whoever gave the best offer. It will take several years no matter what. Why didn’t we didn’t start now is beyond me.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
But everyone knows trading Watson is almost a guarantee. If Watson is gone why hold on to Tunsil? We should of started the rebuild months ago with sending Watson to the jets and Tunsil with whoever gave the best offer. It will take several years no matter what. Why didn’t we didn’t start now is beyond me.
I believe the Texans knew there was an issue, but didn't know about 20+ plantiffs. With that in mind they were probably thinking Watson will learn who was really supportive of his situation & would eventually come back into the fold.

Still... I think trading Tunsil is a bad idea. We were paying D.Brown, Hopkins, Jj, & a bunch of other players before we had Watson.

Let Tunsil protect our new QB, build a line, develop his replacement. Dump him in two years when it makes sense & his replacement is ready.

Draft QB.

Tunsil has been a solid so far tbh he false starts but it was no way his fault bob gave up the farm for him.

so we just need to get his service and enjoy till we restructure him or trade him

badboy

Hall of Fame
I wonder if the Jets would prefer laremy tunsil over Mekhi becton to protect their shiny new quarterback? They made a decision to trade up and draft an offensive guard to protect Zach Wilson Blind Side.

OptimisticTexan

I wonder if the Jets would prefer laremy tunsil over Mekhi becton to protect their shiny new quarterback? They made a decision to trade up and draft an offensive guard to protect Zach Wilson Blind Side.
Think they would accept Tunsil for Becton and a RD1? Let Becton continue his development with the Texans but I think there’s still too much meat on the Tunsil contract for 2021 and 2022. Maybe the Texans decide to keep Tunsil b/c he finally becomes the LT they thought they were getting......due to the new staff’s simple offensive scheme, position coaches, and better talent around him.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Think they would accept Tunsil for Becton and a RD1? Let Becton continue his development with the Texans but I think there’s still too much meat on the Tunsil contract for 2021 and 2022. Maybe the Texans decide to keep Tunsil b/c he finally becomes the LT they thought they were getting......due to the new staff’s simple offensive scheme, position coaches, and better talent around him.
Due to Tunsil being a multi-year pro bowler, I would ask for both of the Jets round 1 in 2022 but willing to take the higher. Tunsil's base $9.2 would be assumed by the Jets and Bectons base is 4.2 which we would pay.
LT dead post June 1 is $8 for this season and $16 accelerated to 2022 which is high but his cap for us will be $26 in 2022 and $27 the next year. Tremendous savings to move him this year. In my opinion a good move for both teams.

OptimisticTexan

Due to Tunsil being a multi-year pro bowler, I would ask for both of the Jets round 1 in 2022 but willing to take the higher. Tunsil's base $9.2 would be assumed by the Jets and Bectons base is 4.2 which we would pay.
LT dead post June 1 is $8 for this season and $16 accelerated to 2022 which is high but his cap for us will be $26 in 2022 and $27 the next year. Tremendous savings to move him this year. In my opinion a good move for both teams.
Didn’t realize this badboy.....I’d move now, with this understanding.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Didn’t realize this badboy.....I’d move now, with this understanding.
Another point in favor would be Jets have just over 26 million in cap space now and 69 million in 2022. As you know I really like becton yet he is just going into his second year and as you stated needs to continue developing.

Vera-Tucker 6 ft 44 308 would do even better beside LT.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Dang BB you say the Jets drafted a guard to protect Zack Wilsons blind side ? I'm confused because that sounds like this Wilson kid will be throwing passes into the stands or he can throw one helluva curved forward pass ?

badboy

Hall of Fame
Dang BB you say the Jets drafted a guard to protect Zack Wilsons blind side ? I'm confused because that sounds like this Wilson kid will be throwing passes into the stands or he can throw one helluva curved forward pass ?
? LT and LG are considered "blindside" of a right handed QB...

The Jets will count on left guard Alijah Vera-Tucker immediately in 2021, as a blind-side protector for prized rookie quarterback Zach Wilson.

And Vera-Tucker, who likely will start next to left tackle Mekhi Becton, thinks he’ll have no problem adjusting to coordinator Mike LaFleur’s West Coast offense, which relies heavily on an outside-zone blocking scheme.

"Vera-Tucker is one of the best offensive linemen on the move in the class, and he goes to an outside zone-heavy run scheme in New York that will take advantage of that. The USC product has earned an 84.1 run-blocking grade on outside zone runs over the past two seasons. Oh, and he also owns the highest pass-blocking grade on true pass sets over that span. Zach Wilson’s blindside is in good hands." [PFF]

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club

badboy

Hall of Fame
I hope we don't trade Tunsil at all.
He is our starting Left tackle and our offense is gonna need him.
You didn't miss where I said that we would get jets left tackle Mekhi becton correct? With these quarterbacks we do not need a two-time pro bowl left tackle and Becton would do just fine.

Laramie's cap hit this year is 9.3 million but do you want to pay him 26 and 1/2 million for 2022 and 2023 each? I don't. His 2021 base of one million is the hook to reel in a big fish. It will be much harder to trade him after 2021 . For those here who are always trumpeting how we need to get better contracts and dump cap I don't understand keeping around his contract especially if there is a alternative like Becton.

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
You didn't miss where I said that we would get jets left tackle Mekhi becton correct? With these quarterbacks we do not need a two-time pro bowl left tackle and Becton would do just fine.

Laramie's cap hit this year is 9.3 million but do you want to pay him 26 and 1/2 million for 2022 and 2023 each? I don't. His 2021 base of one million is the hook to reel in a big fish. It will be much harder to trade him after 2021 . For those here who are always trumpeting how we need to get better contracts and dump cap I don't understand keeping around his contract especially if there is a alternative like Becton.

Is Becton up for grabs?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

So why would the NYJ want to make this trade?

Number19

Hall of Fame
Offensive Tackle Rankings: The 32 best OTs entering the 2021 NFL season
By Anthony Treash
May 24, 2021

Continuing our series of 2021 NFL position rankings, we turn our attention to the trenches and evaluate the current crop of offensive tackles. With the help of PFF's advanced database — which is used by all 32 NFL teams — we can easily evaluate the big men trying to protect their quarterbacks and open lanes in the run game.
So, without further ado, let’s dive into our top 32 offensive tackles ahead of the 2021 NFL season. And while there just one rookie appears on the list, it wouldn’t be a surprise to see multiple first-year players rise up by the end of the year, considering it was one of the deepest tackle classes this century.

Houston Texans offensive tackle Laremy Tunsil (78) against the Kansas City Chiefs in a AFC Divisional Round playoff football game at Arrowhead Stadium. Credit: Mark J. Rebilas-USA TODAY Sports

8. LAREMY TUNSIL, HOUSTON TEXANS

Tunsil has been a standout pass-blocker but a middling run-blocker in every season of his NFL career. He trails only Ronnie Stanley and David Bakhtiari in pass-blocking grade among tackles since coming to Houston in 2019. Considering the sheer number of long-developing plays he has endured as a Texan, that is quite impressive.

On plays where the quarterback gets rid of the ball within three seconds of the snap, Tunsil ranks second among tackles in pressure rate allowed. At the same time, he sits right at the 50th percentile in run-blocking grade at his position over the past couple of years. Tunsil's price tag in his trade to Houston was clearly too high, but his pass-blocking prowess easily makes him a top-10 tackle.

OptimisticTexan

Does not matter, too much for where we are going.
With the focus moving towards a serious run game.....trading Tunsil may not be the worst idea. The return could be pretty decent and quite valuable come the 2022 NFL Draft. The Texans could use a stronger run blocker at LT since I’m seeing Taylor as a game manager versus a QB who’s standing in the pocket 35-40 times a game.

Moving Watson and Tunsil at some point this season could really put a lot of assets in the 2022-2023 draft pot.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
But is this out of line for a top 10 OT, and a top 3 pass-blocking OT? The trade may have been out of line, but the contract?
Wait til that short 3 year deal is up. The price paid to acquire and keep this guy keeps on going. That is, if they decide to keep him. If not, they have to trade him to at least get compensation back. Can’t pay all of that and then just let him walk.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Perhaps it is time for Roderick Johnson to earn his paycheck or Charlie Heck to show us what he can do at left tackle.
They have a LT that they value very highly.

Why would they need Johnson/Heck to play LT unless Tunsil is hurt.

Acceptance is the 1st step to recovery.