Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Welcome to Houston Will Anderson

Anderson isn't eating up the league, but he is no slouch either. I wanted them to take Anderson with the 2nd pick anyway. LOL
I like him, and he's a good player and good teammate but worth two ones & a two ? Hardly, actually not even close !

I like him, and he's a good player and good teammate but worth two ones & a two ? Hardly, actually not even close !

So far, he is not worth two 1s. I think he's worth one 1, but unfortunately that isn't what we paid for him.

So far, he is not worth two 1s. I think he's worth one 1, but unfortunately that isn't what we paid for him.
Tomorrow looks like Anderson is going up against a 3rd round
Pick from about 4 years ago, a capable but not gifted OT, so it would be a good time for ourguy to show his stuff and get about 2 or 3 sacks in the ATL vs the dirty birds.
We aren' t getting many sacks and our #3 pick needs to start producing.

Tomorrow looks like Anderson is going up against a 3rd round
Pick from about 4 years ago, a capable but not gifted OT, so it would be a good time for ourguy to show his stuff and get about 2 or 3 sacks in the ATL vs the dirty birds.
We aren' t getting many sacks and our #3 pick needs to start producing.

Would you be happy if he had the exact same career sack numbers as Watt?

So annoying hearing people talk about what a player is “worth” when talking about draft picks…People get so caught up in draft pick value that they forget that the point of draft picks is to pick stud players. And WA jr. definitely fits the bill there. No matter how high A draft pick is, it’s not worth **** until you use it.

Would you be happy if he had the exact same career sack numbers as Watt?
I will take me lots of production to be satisfied with a guy we forked over virtually 3 first round picks for ( that 2nd round pic was the first pic of the round making it basically a first rounder).
The expectations for Watt weren't nearly as high as they are for this guy.

So annoying hearing people talk about what a player is “worth” when talking about draft picks…People get so caught up in draft pick value that they forget that the point of draft picks is to pick stud players. And WA jr. definitely fits the bill there. No matter how high A draft pick is, it’s not worth **** until you use it.
FYI Draft picks are the life blood of an NFL organization.

I will take me lots of production to be satisfied with a guy we forked over virtually 3 first round picks for ( that 2nd round pic was the first pic of the round making it basically a first rounder).

Was that a yes or a no?

Would you take Will Anderson over Derek Stingley, Kenyon Green and John Metchie (two firsts and a second)?

Watt was not as good in college as was Anderson.

I don't recall that being up for debate..
I don't recall a debate. Surely you can see that some would have greater expectations for Anderson when more was giving up for him than for JJ Watt? Saying Watt had similar stats his first four games or so doesn't really do much for either side.

Would you take Will Anderson over Derek Stingley, Kenyon Green and John Metchie (two firsts and a second)?
Looks like now that Casserio & Co. blew the first round of the '22 Draft which means IMO he needs to have a big success in this years first round to justify his continued employment.

FYI Draft picks are the life blood of an NFL organization.

Draft picks have no value until they’re used. They are like stocks in a portfolio, in that their value can only really be determined once they’re sold. Beyond that, it’s just hope & theory.

I can own stocks for as long as I like and get all giddy as I watch the stock move up. I can look and see what profit I could have, but it only becomes reality when I actually sell my shares….& sell them at the right time at that. It appears the Texans sold their shares at the right time to land WA jr.

I don't recall a debate. Surely you can see that some would have greater expectations for Anderson when more was giving up for him than for JJ Watt? Saying Watt had similar stats his first four games or so doesn't really do much for either side.

If you expect more or of Anderson than what Watt produced then I don't know what to tell you.. except maybe wow.

As for the latter, I'd argue mentioning their beginning of career stats side by side does do something for the topic, at least in so far as pointing out that 4 games is hardly enough to begin declaring what needs to happen immediately.

The way to look at is they spent 3 1's and a 2nd to get the two best players in the draft. I'd call that a good deal

Right. They could've taken Will at number 2 and paid even more for CJ at 3, and we'd probably be calling that a good deal with the way Stroud's looked so far. But they mitigated the cost to get both by taking CJ at 2 and dealing for Will at 3.

Right. They could've taken Will at number 2 and paid even more for CJ at 3, and we'd probably be calling that a good deal with the way Stroud's looked so far. But they mitigated the cost to get both by taking CJ at 2 and dealing for Will at 3.
Yep, they knew Arizona was open to trading, they just had to make it profitable. Caserio took a small calculated risk.

Anderson is already getting double, triple and I have seen a slight rub from a RB a few times (making 4 men) getting in his way. The kid has a motor and thus far, the rest of the DL and LBs are just getting home faster. Look at Henery T all but taking the hand off last week on a few plays. And give credit to Greenard who has been near unstoppable at times, thanks in part to Anderson having 2 guys or more blocking him. Once he has more time under his belt and develops his hands and moves a bit more...watch out. He apparently has been talking to JJ as well from what I have read. Learning from Watt? Wow

The way to look at is they spent 3 1's and a 2nd to get the two best players in the draft. I'd call that a good deal
Sorry JB that's nonsensical because first selecting CJ and then later Anderson are stand alone transactions unrelated.

Sorry JB that's nonsensical because first selecting CJ and then later Anderson are stand alone transactions unrelated.

Are each of these transactions unrelated? Yes. But the thoughts behind the transactions were not unrelated.

If you select WA with the second pick, then do you think it would have been as easy to trade back up to the 3rd pick with CJ Stroud still on the board? I think the Cards would have been able to shop around and ask for a lot more than we ended up paying. And I think what we paid would have been good trade value if we had been trading up for a QB.

Are each of these transactions unrelated? Yes. But the thoughts behind the transactions were not unrelated.

If you select WA with the second pick, then do you think it would have been as easy to trade back up to the 3rd pick with CJ Stroud still on the board? I think the Cards would have been able to shop around and ask for a lot more than we ended up paying. And I think what we paid would have been good trade value if we had been trading up for a QB.
Implicit in your comments seems to be that the Texans were under some kind of mandate to draft these two particular players and I don't get that ?

Anderson has been talking to JJ. My question is if anyone knows what the conversations are about or if they are even still going on. My thinking is it is one of just a few things.

1- JJ welcomed him, called him before a game/s.

2- About the mental aspect of the game.

3- About eating right and some good workout ideas.

4- About money and how to not get caught up in making money mistakes.

5- This one would be harder to do but analyze certain plays and JJ telling him how to do it a different or better way.

Thoughts? I have yet to see an article that says anything past they are talking.

Implicit in your comments seems to be that the Texans were under some kind of mandate to draft these two particular players and I don't get that ?

I think the word "mandate" would be debatable. Although there is a group of people on the board who believe that Demeco wanted Will Anderson but ownership mandated that a QB would have to be drafted, I'm not saying that.

I don't know where the idea came from that we wanted these two players and we wanted them bad enough to use this much draft capital to get them, but the idea was had. I don't know if it was a mandate, or if it was just something that came out from brainstorming between Caserio and Demeco and possibly others.

We could easily have drafted CJ and then waited to see if Will would drop, but we didn't do that. Instead, we made the moves we made to draft those two players in succession. So I think the two moves have to be looked at as a unit of moves because they were made with intention at almost exactly the same time. Let's get both of these guys.

Their aim was to draft WA, but when they saw Stroud was available because Carolina took Young, they saw the opportunity to get both Stroud and WA. Taking advantage of opportunity no one thought would be there

I think the word "mandate" would be debatable. Although there is a group of people on the board who believe that Demeco wanted Will Anderson but ownership mandated that a QB would have to be drafted, I'm not saying that.

I don't know where the idea came from that we wanted these two players and we wanted them bad enough to use this much draft capital to get them, but the idea was had. I don't know if it was a mandate, or if it was just something that came out from brainstorming between Caserio and Demeco and possibly others.

We could easily have drafted CJ and then waited to see if Will would drop, but we didn't do that. Instead, we made the moves we made to draft those two players in succession. So I think the two moves have to be looked at as a unit of moves because they were made with intention at almost exactly the same time. Let's get both of these guys.
Right. Once Young was off the board, Stroud and Anderson were going to be the next two players that were drafted. Whether the Texans or another team moved up to #3, those were the players. The Cards were moving down.

Not the way I remember it. The coaches wanted Stroud it was said, but Tepper wanted Young.
I'm not going to hunt down posts from the draft, but no. Tepper and the GM were always on Young. They had to talk Reich into it, but they did. It was after the visits that the GM went into Reich's office and they agreed on the pick. That's documented in a quote by the GM.

[/QUOTE]
But why do you think it was a "unit of moves", as if the two were joined at the waist ?
It 's the opportunity cost, i.e. what they gave up with all of the draft capital to also draft Anderson which is the big problem here.
What they gave up for Anderson was probably three starting football players which is just way too much for a non-QB IMO.
Their aim was to draft WA, but when they saw Stroud was available because Carolina took Young, they saw the opportunity to get both Stroud and WA. Taking advantage of opportunity no one thought would be there

But why do you think it was a "unit of moves", as if the two were joined at the waist ?
It 's the opportunity cost, i.e. what they gave up with all of the draft capital to also draft Anderson which is the big problem here.
What they gave up for Anderson was probably three starting football players which is just way too much for a non-QB IMO.
[/QUOTE]
teams miss on half their first rounders so if they thought WA was a can't miss two 1's may have been worth it. Demeco wanted his guy to set the tone and culture day 1. I agree it was a lot for a non QB though, but people act like we could not miss on any picks either

What they gave up for Anderson was probably three starting football players which is just way too much for a non-QB IMO
You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but I think you're wrong. You're assuming 3 picks would be good players when the odds are against that. I think getting 1 player that you think is the best in the draft after you got the best QB in the draft is well worth it.

Where do you get 'probably' from?

Given the known bust rate for first round picks is in the ~50% range a more accurate estimation is 'probably' 1.5 starting football players.

If you feel like Anderson (or whomever you covet) is that much more bust-proof (particularly versus the evals you have for the remaining options on the board) then is that really all that bad a cost? And that cost evaluation must also be done keeping in mind the implied effort to want to nab these two particular players above all else.

Or to get Sttroud and three addi
You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but I think you're wrong. You're assuming 3 picks would be good players when the odds are against that. I think getting 1 player that you think is the best in the draft after you got the best QB in the draft is well worth it.
It is two #1 s plus the 33rd overall - that's likely 3 starters.
When has anybody else given up that kind of draft capital for a non QB right out of college ?

Exactly. This draft was full of good players. But limited in star quality players.

They could have gone either way & I'd have been fine with it. But I'll never argue a team going after "their guy".

Back