Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Welcome to Houston Will Anderson

All you're doing is showing me what we already knew which is that the Texans have not been great at drafting. Yes I understand that picks are not guaranteed which is why it's important to have a lot of chances to get em right.

It's also the GM's job to get picks right so if you're telling me we shouldn't trust our GM to get 2/3 of the following picks right (next years 1st, the 33rd overall pick this year, and a 3rd rounder) then all I hear is we need a new GM.

I agree

It’s circular reasoning in that how can you use poor drafting as reason to put total confidence in drafting higher when the consequences are much more pronounced the higher you draft. How is there more confidence in drafting WAJ at #3 then drafting at #12 #34 2024 #1 when it will be exactly the same people in the room making the decisions. These guys did draft Stingley. If they can’t draft then shouldn’t they be trading as many picks as possible for guys already in the league? That would be the best strategy if you think A. They can’t draft B. Draft picks are over valued.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's not the sole reason for their success, but he's a difference maker.

time for me to eat crow. I didn’t like Carter at all. Not that he didn’t have talent. It was obvious. I just feared his motor and attitude weren’t what we wanted. In hindsight, he’s a more impactful player than WA at this point. Early yet…we are in the first chapter, but if I had to redo the draft, I’d take CJ at 2, and if available, Carter at the other first rounder…and hold onto my 24 picks.

The kid has been double and triple teamed multiple times in the first 4 games. I have also seen RBs chip him a couple times. Meaning 3 or 4 guys doing something to try to slow him down. Coaches saw his tape and know he is a force. Only thing is he mainly uses his speed right now. He has a few moves but nothing great. He will have to get them to a better level and then he will be a terror and that is when he should start posting multiple sacks, QB his and hurries

he’s a smaller version of Clowney except he is a harder worker and better locker room guy. He’s never going to be a consistent high sack guy. I said it in the pre draft, and I say it today. He’s got an exceptional motor so he’ll get some sacks, but if your looking for 15+ sacks a year, you will be unhappy. I’d bet he averages about 8-10 most years. Maybe one or two years he breaks out into the 12-14 range. A down year might be 6-8.

Whitney Mercilous might be an even better comp.

I agree, but i like the way the team is composed right now on offense save for the RB position. Hate to say it b/c I like Pierce..... i think he has a place on this team as a change of pace guy, but i think we're seeing why he was never "the" guy at Florida. His vision isn't the greatest & the "tough" running only pays so much dividends. We need someone with a little better vision, short area quickness and wiggle back there. There have been opportunities in the run game that Pierce hasn't been able to exploit b/c he lacks 1 of those 3 i named above.

I also think the LB core could use an upgrade as well. Harris hasn't flashed enough, TooToo i think would be a good compliment to a bigger, faster lead dog at the mike position.
Finally we need that big space eater in the middle of the d-line. This is what i hope we spend our 1st on next year.

Agreed

However there's not a big 1st rd worthy space eater in the draft. Other than the UT guy Sweat and I would like to see him learn from a vet FA. Bring in either Reader/Wilkins and let Sweat learn at a slower pace.

All you're doing is showing me what we already knew which is that the Texans have not been great at drafting. Yes I understand that picks are not guaranteed which is why it's important to have a lot of chances to get em right.

It's also the GM's job to get picks right so if you're telling me we shouldn't trust our GM to get 2/3 of the following picks right (next years 1st, the 33rd overall pick this year, and a 3rd rounder) then all I hear is we need a new GM.

Like i said, you can do this with every single team in the league & the results will not be much different. This idea that you're going to hit on more than average bust rate is largely a myth & getting/having more draft picks isn't going to increase the chances of that much more. It just doesn't happen very often for really any team to hit on 3 or more picks high in 1 draft like that often.

I agree

It’s circular reasoning in that how can you use poor drafting as reason to put total confidence in drafting higher when the consequences are much more pronounced the higher you draft. How is there more confidence in drafting WAJ at #3 then drafting at #12 #34 2024 #1 when it will be exactly the same people in the room making the decisions. These guys did draft Stingley. If they can’t draft then shouldn’t they be trading as many picks as possible for guys already in the league? That would be the best strategy if you think A. They can’t draft B. Draft picks are over valued.

Not really. See, there's usually higher consensus on how good those top 5 prospects..(10 if its a deep draft) can be b/c most everyone in the field whose doing the evaluating sees them the same way. Doesn't mean that it's 100% accurate & that those prospects don't have the potential to be busts, but that's why there's higher confidence in them than selecting guys lower in the draft. That is to say, that even if you're a BoB-level GM, it would be hard to miss on guys selected in that top 3-5 range. Outside of that top 5 tho, the further away you go, the more the consensus varies.

As this pertains to WA jr., he was a guy labeled as a TOP 3 prospect for YEARS. Hell at 1 point, he was thought to maybe be the best prospect in this entire draft..About as sure a thing as you can get. Would you really pass on a deal to get a guy like him to select prospects that are thought to be lesser?

I think its important to define bust here. You guys are looking at it from just 1 perspective..a guy just not being very good. Reality is guys "bust" for many reasons. They either suck, chronic injuries, off the field problems, coach/player relationships, wrong scheme etc. So in reality, It would actually work in the opposite way you're thinking it would work. If a GM is bad drafting "more bites at the apple" wouldn't actually help them too much more..You'd probably have a higher bust rate actually. Furthermore, whether you're a good or bad GM making picks, you'd still need luck to hit on the picks.......which is the same thing you need when you're making ANY pick.

time for me to eat crow. I didn’t like Carter at all. Not that he didn’t have talent. It was obvious. I just feared his motor and attitude weren’t what we wanted. In hindsight, he’s a more impactful player than WA at this point. Early yet…we are in the first chapter, but if I had to redo the draft, I’d take CJ at 2, and if available, Carter at the other first rounder…and hold onto my 24 picks.

Part of Carter's impact stems from what he's got around him & where he plays imo. he can be singled up b/c he's got Cox and/or Davis next to him at all times with Graham and Sweat & Reddick coming off the edge wreaking havoc. He also plays in the interior so ain't no chipping or double teams coming his way & its easy to single up. Then he's not even a starter so he's always fresh. That's a far different world than what WA jr. has to deal with where its REALLY easy to do all of the above to him to neutralize him....hell we saw it with Micah Parsons last night..made him a non factor with all the chipping & double teams & general shading protection his way.

So the question really lies in do you think Carter could be the same guy he is there here without all the other guys around him b/c i don't think he could. If he were here, we'd probably be complaining about how bad our run defense is b/c he's getting doubled.

WA kicked ass against the run yesterday. He was a large reason why Robinson was held in check. He was also a big fat zero in the pass game.

I saw him double teamed some. Pretty much anyone of note in that position gets that respect. Bosa, TJ Watt, Crosby. The list goes on. And for the most part, those guys still put their mark on the game.

WA has a LONG ways to go if he's ever going to make good on the capital investment. Not only the 3rd pick straight up which is already a relatively high bar, but the additional assets given up to get this young man.

He can't just be force in the run game. You don't give up this kind of jack to get a run-stopper. That's ridiculous. I always thought he was a tweener and would have trouble at the pro level as a pass rusher. I still do. My eval hasn't changed.

He is not a speed demon that can bend and run like the wind off the edge. Yet, he's not big enough to ever be the bull in the china shop and just straight run over people like JJ did if he wasn't triple teamed. To ever be effective, he's got to find a whole variety of moves. Right now, he's just trying to straight outmuscle guys, and that's not ever going to work at this level.

he’s a smaller version of Clowney except he is a harder worker and better locker room guy. He’s never going to be a consistent high sack guy. I said it in the pre draft, and I say it today. He’s got an exceptional motor so he’ll get some sacks, but if your looking for 15+ sacks a year, you will be unhappy. I’d bet he averages about 8-10 most years. Maybe one or two years he breaks out into the 12-14 range. A down year might be 6-8.

Whitney Mercilous might be an even better comp.

Not close to Mercy imo. WA is a much more polished pass rusher and general defensive player than Mercy ever was. I would say a smaller version of Willie McGinest.

Gotta apologize to whoever I was arguing with about Will Anderson last week (I really don’t remember so if you’re reading this I was wrong) I just spent about an hour going back and watching him and it’s tough out there. He just does not have the power to win if the olineman gets a hand on him. If they get a grip on WAJ that play is over 9/10 times. His wins come when he can bat their hands off him at the line but even those are too few and far between. Unless he can get a lot stronger or transition to a more Von Miller type rusher then I’m worried for him.

Note this is with regard to his pass rushing he’s been money in the run game.

Like i said, you can do this with every single team in the league & the results will not be much different. This idea that you're going to hit on more than average bust rate is largely a myth & getting/having more draft picks isn't going to increase the chances of that much more. It just doesn't happen very often for really any team to hit on 3 or more picks high in 1 draft like that often.
Good teams like the Chiefs, look at their draft from 2 yrs ago as an example, Eagles and 49ers hit on their picks, far more than they bust.

Ryans, Caserio are starting to hit on their draft picks like the 49ers do. What's got posters all messed up is the Lovie pick of Stingley over Sauce. As far as the Green pick goes injuries are part of the luck of the draft.

Part of Carter's impact stems from what he's got around him & where he plays imo. he can be singled up b/c he's got Cox and/or Davis next to him at all times with Graham and Sweat & Reddick coming off the edge wreaking havoc. He also plays in the interior so ain't no chipping or double teams coming his way & its easy to single up. Then he's not even a starter so he's always fresh. That's a far different world than what WA jr. has to deal with where its REALLY easy to do all of the above to him to neutralize him....hell we saw it with Micah Parsons last night..made him a non factor with all the chipping & double teams & general shading protection his way.

So the question really lies in do you think Carter could be the same guy he is there here without all the other guys around him b/c i don't think he could. If he were here, we'd probably be complaining about how bad our run defense is b/c he's getting doubled.
Disagree, best player in that draft.

You're right he's only playing about half of the snaps, but he's a force to be reckoned with. Tell me how you would have felt about an IDL of Carter, Davis, and an edge like Sam Williams?

With depth pieces like Ridgeway,Hinish, Greenard, Horton etc ... The DL could've been a strength for years. As it is now they're looking for a IDL and another pass rusher still after spending all of this draft capital.

Last edited:
Good teams like the Chiefs, look at their draft from 2 yrs ago as an example, Eagles and 49ers hit on their picks, far more than they bust.

Ryans, Caserio are starting to hit on their draft picks like the 49ers do. What's got posters all messed up is the Lovie pick of Stingley over Sauce. As far as the Green pick goes injuries are part of the luck of the draft.

The Trey Lance trade trade up & selection will legitimately go down as 1 of if not THE worst in history. Defensively they’ve found a few late round gems, but by and large they’ve been nothing special in that department. Most fans just aren’t paying too close attention b/c they’ve continued to win. If that ever stops, more scrutiny will happen.

The Trey Lance trade trade up & selection will legitimately go down as 1 of if not THE worst in history. Defensively they’ve found a few late round gems, but by and large they’ve been nothing special in that department. Most fans just aren’t paying too close attention b/c they’ve continued to win. If that ever stops, more scrutiny will happen.

Yeah, but they hit on a Mr. Irrelevant pick to offset that.

Let's see and go through their offense

OT"s Williams trade, McKivitz late rd pick.

OG's Banks 2nd rd pick, Buford Late rd pick

C- Brendel late rd or UDFa

QB Purdy Mr.Irrelevant, Darnold cheap FA singing

RB's McCaffrey Trade , Mitchell Late rd pick, Mason UDFA

FB, Jursak (sp?) 3rd or 4th rd pick

WR's Aiyuk 1st rd pick, Deebo 3rd rd pick, Jennings late rd pick. Bell late rd pick

TE, Kittle 5th rd pick, Dwelley UDFA, Woerner 3rd rd pick

This is off of the top of my head.

The defense they've invested a lot of 1st rd picks in their DL

DT's 1st rd Pick Armstead/FA signing Hargrave/1st rd Kinlaw, Givens UDFA

DE's Bosa 1st/ Jackson 2nd/ Gregory trade late rd pick,

Warner 2nd, Greenlaw 5th, Burks UDFA

CB- Ward FA signing/Lenoir late rd pick/ Oliver cheap FA

SS- Gipson Cheap FA, Hufanga 5th/ Brown 3rd.

Looks like to me they've done a great job in the draft, particularly in the 3rd rd or later. The only thing they spent high draft capital on was the DL. This is what I wanted to see Ryans and Caserio doing, the last couple of drafts are very encouraging. They just missed on the Stingley/Green picks which are still TBD. IMHO, but thing are looking up. This is how you build a championship roster.

Last edited:
I saw him double teamed some. Pretty much anyone of note in that position gets that respect. Bosa, TJ Watt, Crosby. The list goes on. And for the most part, those guys still put their mark on the game.
There are five OL men, 4 pass rushers, usually. Someone is getting doubled by default.

Let's see and go through their offense

OT"s Williams trade, McKivitz late rd pick.

OG's Banks 2nd rd pick, Buford Late rd pick

C- Brendel late rd or UDFa

QB Purdy Mr.Irrelevant, Darnold cheap FA singing

RB's McCaffrey Trade , Mitchell Late rd pick, Mason UDFA

FB, Jursak (sp?) 3rd or 4th rd pick

WR's Aiyuk 1st rd pick, Deebo 3rd rd pick, Jennings late rd pick. Bell late rd pick

TE, Kittle 5th rd pick, Dwelley UDFA, Woerner 3rd rd pick

This is off of the top of my head.

The defense they've invested a lot of 1st rd picks in their DL

DT's 1st rd Pick Armstead/FA signing Hargrave/1st rd Kinlaw, Givens UDFA

DE's Bosa 1st/ Jackson 2nd/ Gregory trade late rd pick,

Warner 2nd, Greenlaw 5th, Burks UDFA

CB- Ward FA signing/Lenoir late rd pick/ Oliver cheap FA

SS- Gipson Cheap FA, Hufanga 5th/ Brown 3rd.

Looks like to me they've done a great job in the draft, particularly in the 3rd rd or later. The only thing they spent high draft capital on was the DL. This is what I want to see Ryans and Caserio doing, the last couple of drafts are very encouraging. They just missed on the Stingley/Green picks which are still TBD. IMHO, but thing are looking up. This is how you build a championship roster.

Except the 49ers for all thier supposed great drafting & roster building..........they haven't won a championship. Plus all that you laid out, that's over the span of like 6-7 years bro....This is supposed to be a league where you can turn it around in 1-2 years. Plus only 2 of those drafts nabbed multiple guys in the 1st 2 rounds that had near immediate impact, 2019 & 2020. and even then it took a few years before a guy like Aiyuk had his breakout in 2022. But you have to figure that had they had their qb already they may not have been able to make some of the FA moves & picks they made b/c of the amount of salary cap a true franchise guy at qb commands. But just analyzing their 1st and 2nd round picks which is kinda what we're discussing here, its a wash relatively. For every guy they hit on in that time frame, they had a bust. In that same time frame:

Solomon Thomas
Joshua Garnett
Reuben Foster
Dante Pettis
Trey Lance

Yeah, but they hit on a Mr. Irrelevant pick to offset that.

if we're gonna call the drafting of Brady dumb luck by Belichick and the pats, Drafting Purdy by the 49ers was dumb, stupid ridiculous idiotic luck. There's no way they made that pick thinking Purdy was gonna 1 day be their guy considering they had just traded up for Lance the year before and still kept Jimmy G. on the roster. So no, they don't get credit for that.

If anything, the 49ers are more of a lesson in cap space management, player development, elite understanding of what scheme fit is & just generally how an owner should go about hiring guys who know what they're doing and getting out of the way................basically everything we HAVEN'T been doing as an organization the last 4 years albeit lots within our control, some not. But you can say they could do that b/c they've had the same HC & GM since around that same time. That hasn't been the case for us over the last 4 years nor have we had our full compliment of picks in that time frame b/c of the previous regime.

I’d bet he averages about 8-10 most years. Maybe one or two years he breaks out into the 12-14 range. A down year might be 6-8.

So Von Miller? He wouldn't be worth the 3rd pick?

Miller has had 8 seasons where he played at least 15 games...

SEASONTEAMGGSTKLASTCOMBINEDSOLOSCK
2011Denver Broncos15155014644211.5
2012Denver Broncos16165513685418.5
2014Denver Broncos16164217594014
2015Denver Broncos1616305353011
2016Denver Broncos16166216785613.5
2017Denver Broncos1616516574810
2018Denver Broncos16162919482814.5
2019Denver Broncos1515331346308

And he averaged just over 12.6 sacks a season, with a few great years, a few of 10-11 sacks and a down year of 8.

Like you said, it's to early.

Disagree, best player in that draft.

You're right he's only playing about half of the snaps, but he's a force to be reckoned with. Tell me how you would have felt about an IDL of Carter, Davis, and an edge like Sam Williams?

With depth pieces like Ridgeway,Hinish, Greenard, Horton etc ... The DL could've been a strength for years. As it is now they're looking for a IDL and another pass rusher still after spending all of this draft capital.

If you recall i was on the Carter train before his off-field issues surfaced. After that i kinda backed off. In your scenario tho i don;t know who Sam Williams is so i can't comment. But this is what i want you to do. You say we stay at 12 after selecting CJ Stroud...Do you believe Carter or WA Jr. is there at 12 for us? probably not. Never mind Philly moving up to steal Carter, Neither guy is likely getting past Seattle, LV or Tennessee & we're stuck with Tyree Wilson...guess what he's doing right now...nothing. Then all we're hearing is what we heard back when Philly moved up ahead of us to take Andre Dillard & we "reached" for Tytus Howard.

If you recall i was on the Carter train before his off-field issues surfaced. After that i kinda backed off. In your scenario tho i don;t know who Sam Williams is so i can't comment. But this is what i want you to do. You say we stay at 12 after selecting CJ Stroud...Do you believe Carter or WA Jr. is there at 12 for us? probably not. Never mind Philly moving up to steal Carter, Neither guy is likely getting past Seattle, LV or Tennessee & we're stuck with Tyree Wilson...guess what he's doing right now...nothing. Then all we're hearing is what we heard back when Philly moved up ahead of us to take Andre Dillard & we "reached" for Tytus Howard.
Nolan Smith was the guy at 1-12 that I wanted if Ryans/Caserio decided to stay put. Either Smith or trading up a couple of spots for Carter would've cost a lot less and the team arguably would be in better shape with two 1sts in the 2024 draft. This isn't hindsight either. Oh well water under the bridge and WA is a solid 10 yr starter who has the ability to improve. (Water under the bridge.)

I've been checking out the Georgia LB's lately and they've got a couple of guys I like a lot in the 3rd rd.

when he's doing that against doubles and scrubs next to him like Aaron Donald & JJ Watt were doing...& doing it as a full time starter, i'll be impressed. He's just getting too much props for doing it as a part time player.

I agree, but i like the way the team is composed right now on offense save for the RB position. Hate to say it b/c I like Pierce..... i think he has a place on this team as a change of pace guy, but i think we're seeing why he was never "the" guy at Florida. His vision isn't the greatest & the "tough" running only pays so much dividends. We need someone with a little better vision, short area quickness and wiggle back there. There have been opportunities in the run game that Pierce hasn't been able to exploit b/c he lacks 1 of those 3 i named above.

I also think the LB core could use an upgrade as well. Harris hasn't flashed enough, TooToo i think would be a good compliment to a bigger, faster lead dog at the mike position.
Finally we need that big space eater in the middle of the d-line. This is what i hope we spend our 1st on next year.
Pierce isn't suited for rail runs. He's a guy who seeks out contact without the vision to run the rail, read the zone, and make the proper cut. Either they're going to have to change the way they run the zones or change the rb.

The kid has been double and triple teamed multiple times in the first 4 games. I have also seen RBs chip him a couple times. Meaning 3 or 4 guys doing something to try to slow him down. Coaches saw his tape and know he is a force. Only thing is he mainly uses his speed right now. He has a few moves but nothing great. He will have to get them to a better level and then he will be a terror and that is when he should start posting multiple sacks, QB his and hurries
This is a false narrative. So riddle me this, who were offenses worried about when they played against Detroit and Hutchinson? Nobody had to pull pff invisible stats with him. You can see that he can't get off block or beat the man across from him. He's great in pursuit and setting the edge. He looks like Clowney in term of not being able to convert his move from speed to power and vice versa.

This is a false narrative. So riddle me this, who were offenses worried about when they played against Detroit and Hutchinson? Nobody had to pull pff invisible stats with him. You can see that he can't get off block or beat the man across from him. He's great in pursuit and setting the edge. He looks like Clowney in term of not being able to convert his move from speed to power and vice versa.

I’ll disagree mostly. You can see a little of what you’re saying, but he can shed and swim when he needs to but he is being chipped and doubled quite a bit. I just think the sacks aren’t coming due to a combo of how he’s being coached to play, and how teams are choosing to attack us. Very rarely is he or the pass rush being given time to get home. Greenard owes half his sacks to Anderson b/c they’re sliding protection to WA.

here’s a clip of all his pass rushes from the Steelers game.

Pickett’s getting the ball out pretty damn fast most times.

You see the same thing in the Jax game the week before.

We saw this in the Colts game as well with Minshew dinking and dunking all the way down the field against us. Yesterday Ridder was getting the ball out fast as well.

Hopefully he can improve on this. He's got a much better work ethic than Clowney did.

I’ll disagree mostly. You can see a little of what you’re saying, but he can shed and swim when he needs to but he is being chipped and doubled quite a bit. I just think the sacks aren’t coming due to a combo of how he’s being coached to play, and how teams are choosing to attack us. Very rarely is he or the pass rush being given time to get home. Greenard owes half his sacks to Anderson b/c they’re sliding protection to WA.

here’s a clip of all his pass rushes from the Steelers game.

Pickett’s getting the ball out pretty damn fast most times.

You see the same thing in the Jax game the week before.

We saw this in the Colts game as well with Minshew dinking and dunking all the way down the field against us. Yesterday Ridder was getting the ball out fast as well.
In that Pittsburgh clip, 1 chip, all single blocks. If you watch, everything was a bull rush. You will wear yourself out trying to bull rush everytime. The guy in Jax plays exactly the same way. He's not bending and turning it into power. Pittsburgh didn't slide protection his way either which is what I saw in the all 22. He's a good vs the run player right now,but you don't draft an edge guy at 3 to be a good run stopper without putting the qb on the ground. It takes awareness to be a good pass rusher. He's not showing any closing burst either.

Last edited:
In that Pittsburgh clip, 1 chip, all single blocks. If you watch, everything was a bull rush. You will wear yourself out trying to bull rush everytime. The guy in Jax plays exactly the same way. He's not bending and turning it into power. Pittsburgh didn't slide protection his way either which is what I saw in the all 22. He's a good vs the run player right now,but you don't draft an edge guy at 3 to be a good run stopper without putting the qb on the ground. It takes awareness to be a good pass rusher. He's not showing any closing burst either.

Now watch the ATL highlights..damn near every highlight on this clip he’s either double or chipped. Teams ain’t doing that for nothing. If you also pay attention to the other ends as well, they’re doing the same things that he’s doing in terms of the bull rush, which is why I think it’s something that’s being coached for them to do. Probably want those guys to collapse the pocket on certain downs as opposed to just rushing up field all the time.

I’ll also disagree here with you as well. If we’re comparing him to your example of Aidan Hutchinson as a rookie, from a stats perspective, TFL’s, QB hits etc, he’s either on the same pace or actually ahead of Hutchinson’s pace as a rookie who only had 9 TFLs and 15 qb hits for his rookie campaign. But us as fans we need the flashy stuff to quantify so we really on pay attention to sacks which he only has 1. Every other category WA is holding his own tho.

Last edited:
They drafted Clowney at 1
And they moved up and gave up qb compensation for Anderson. Before the Clowney draft, I stated he will never be a good pass rusher because he can't bend and explode. He's not a bust, but you don't draft an edge guy that high to be a run stopper. He's drafted that high to get the qb jersey dirty. Will struggled vs elite tackles in the SEC last year. Plus in the nfl, qbs don't keep drifting in the pocket. So as an edge rusher you have to know when to get upfield just enough, then bend inside and explode. He has a long way to go in this area.

Nolan Smith was the guy at 1-12 that I wanted if Ryans/Caserio decided to stay put. Either Smith or trading up a couple of spots for Carter would've cost a lot less and the team arguably would be in better shape with two 1sts in the 2024 draft. This isn't hindsight either. Oh well water under the bridge and WA is a solid 10 yr starter who has the ability to improve. (Water under the bridge.)

I've been checking out the Georgia LB's lately and they've got a couple of guys I like a lot in the 3rd rd.

Nolan Smith has 2 tackles and 1 QB hit this season. Has only gotten on the field for 36 defensive snaps. Stacked defense or not he’s a 1st round pick and shouldn’t be warming the bench.

Nolan Smith has 2 tackles and 1 QB hit this season. Has only gotten on the field for 36 defensive snaps. Stacked defense or not he’s a 1st round pick and shouldn’t be warming the bench.
Philly operates differently. Look at Jordan Davis, how much did h play his rookie yr? Carter is probably the best DL on the team and he's only playing about half of the snaps. Siriani breaks in his rookies slow. Unfortunately this is a luxury that Ryans doesn't have.

I cant wait till he breaks out and then all the nay sayers will jump on the bandwagon and claim how they called it and knew it.

With his passion and love for the game, his humbleness and desire to be great, to go along with his relentless motor and power...I say give it time and at least someone else thats at least average on the line to help vs taking all the credit for the pressure he creates and he will succeed and become a defensive STAR for years.

Yeah the bull rushes were just getting home nowhere. Not sure why he reverted to so many of those I think I only saw one bull rush win there and even that was questionable. You can see that he was winning more when he used his quickness inside but he never even tried to use speed on an outside rush. Jacksonville tape was more promising, you could see him in position to win on the outside a lot more he just couldn't finish. Now part of that is that one of Lawrence's best qualities is getting the ball out on time but part of it was him struggling to flatten his rush out enough to get to the QB.

I think a couple of examples of that bend struggle can be found at 2:23 and 1:42 of the Jax video. Hopefully that's something he can work on. I'm about to watch the all 22 from Atlanta here in a bit I'm curious to see why he struggled to get home in that game.

Philly operates differently. Look at Jordan Davis, how much did h play his rookie yr? Carter is probably the best DL on the team and he's only playing about half of the snaps. Siriani breaks in his rookies slow. Unfortunately this is a luxury that Ryans doesn't have.

There is breaking in a rookie slowly and then there is playing 36 snaps in 5 games. If you are a non QB first round pick you need to be playing more than 7ish snaps per game.

There is breaking in a rookie slowly and then there is playing 36 snaps in 5 games. If you are a non QB first round pick you need to be playing more than 7ish snaps per game.
They break their rookies in slowly.

Look at Davis and how they broke in their LT.

Not many rookies play more than 1/2 of the snaps.

Plus if you take into account that they've got Reddick/Sweat/Graham/Barnett ahead of him it makes sense that Smith hasn't gotten much run.

It’s too early to form any real conclusions, WAJ is still young so he might be able to get stronger over the next offseason. It was a little unfair to expect him to be at a high level despite his high cost of acquisition.

I cant wait till he breaks out and then all the nay sayers will jump on the bandwagon and claim how they called it and knew it.

With his passion and love for the game, his humbleness and desire to be great, to go along with his relentless motor and power...I say give it time and at least someone else thats at least average on the line to help vs taking all the credit for the pressure he creates and he will succeed and become a defensive STAR for years.
He's strong enough, his motor is good. His hand placement is fine, his technique of trying to center nfl caliber tackles are his problem. Von isn't as big, neither is Robert Quinn or Ndakwae, but those guys know how to use angles and have awareness. 3rd and 5 in today's nfl is a passing down. You have to go get the qb and you will never do it trying to go center mass.

if wishes were horses, beggars would ride.

Please contact him and tell him to break out Sunday.

There were some serious red flags on Carter. Let's see if he can remain disciplined and keep the weight off. He might show up to camp next year at 400 pounds.
Those red flags had nothing to do with football. If the unfortunate car wreck that the young lady used bad judgement in hadn't happened Carter would have been a top 5 pick.

BTW, the Eagles DL coach talks about how much he loves the game. He's only playing half the snaps but he's got a 25% win rate.

Just curious. We know Anderson is fast, but he really only has the 1st step and hasn't really developed any moves yet past speed. He is 6'4" and I'll say 250lbs, he might be listed 243 or maybe 260 by the Texans. So, I was wondering if he might be better suited for a LB, specifically OLB. This would take advantage of the speed and lack of moves. It would also be an advantage for now against double and triple teams. The OL has to deal with the front 4. Leaving only 1 guy, and Greenard is going to start getting double teams at the rate he is going. So, it might result in Anderson getting TEs or RBs trying to block him. IMO, it might just be a good idea to move him.

What do you think?

Just curious. We know Anderson is fast, but he really only has the 1st step and hasn't really developed any moves yet past speed. He is 6'4" and I'll say 250lbs, he might be listed 243 or maybe 260 by the Texans. So, I was wondering if he might be better suited for a LB, specifically OLB. This would take advantage of the speed and lack of moves. It would also be an advantage for now against double and triple teams. The OL has to deal with the front 4. Leaving only 1 guy, and Greenard is going to start getting double teams at the rate he is going. So, it might result in Anderson getting TEs or RBs trying to block him. IMO, it might just be a good idea to move him.

What do you think?
while I see your train of thought....I say no...If his first step, speed, and relentless motor are his biggest attributes...why would you negate them by having him start 4 yards off the ball??

Back