Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Welcome to Houston Will Anderson

All kinds of history was made in that draft. Carolina was the first team to trade a crap load to draft a sub 200# QB #1 overall.
I say that's OK which is giving up a boat load of draft capital on a QB, but not somebody who doesn't play that singularly all important position in the NFL.

Or to get Sttroud and three addi
It is two #1 s plus the 33rd overall - that's likely 3 starters.
When has anybody else given up that kind of draft capital for a non QB right out of college ?
If you look at the Value Chart this trade will be a wash..I think it was a good move...We just need more pro bowlers on D

No way I'd trade a bunch of picks for a QB that's not 6' tall & not 200#s.

I don't care if it's a QB or not. If he's your guy, he's your guy.
Well that's you but apparently the Panthers thought he was worth the consideration.

If you look at the Value Chart this trade will be a wash..I think it was a good move...We just need more pro bowlers on D
So the DVC says the consideration exchanged is = but surely you understand that's beside the point, right ?

I like Anderson and I've already ordered a "51" Tshirt, but I'm not onboard with what we paid for him, but what's done is done: he's one of ours now.
If we had the #2 pick & the #3 pick straight up, would you be upset if they used the #3 pick on Will Anderson?

Or to get Sttroud and three addi
It is two #1 s plus the 33rd overall - that's likely 3 starters.
When has anybody else given up that kind of draft capital for a non QB right out of college ?
3 seems a bit ambitious. We gave up next years first, a second and a third. Odds are one of those will miss. I’d say 2 players. Still a bad trade however

No not at all. In fact he very possibly would have been my pick with the #3 in that scenario.
If you had the #3 straight up you'd likely take Will Anderson.

To me, that says Will Anderson is worth the third overall pick.

The Texans traded equivalent value +50 points (late 4th round pick). That's the way I look at it. I think the Texans got equivalent value.

I think looking at picks without looking at value is a mistake & I can see how some would get upset about it. It's like getting mad because your son gave away 20 nickels & only got 4 quarters in return.

But you can't let it go
Why does ID talking about this bother you so much.

I would've tried to trade 1-12 and 2-32 for Jalen Carter and had two 1sts in the better 2024 draft. I said so at the time that Carter was the best player in that draft not named Bijan.

If you had the #3 straight up you'd likely take Will Anderson.

To me, that says Will Anderson is worth the third overall pick.

The Texans traded equivalent value +50 points (late 4th round pick). That's the way I look at it. I think the Texans got equivalent value.

I think looking at picks without looking at value is a mistake & I can see how some would get upset about it. It's like getting mad because your son gave away 20 nickels & only got 4 quarters in return.
If I had the Texans pick in the 2023 Draft and I found a team like the Texans who would give me what the Cards got from the Texans,
Then I would have traded the pick instead of taking any single (including Anderson) player.
We need lots of help, help all over the defense and the offense.

I like Anderson and I've already ordered a "51" Tshirt, but I'm not onboard with what we paid for him, but what's done is done: he's one of ours now.

You have a point. I love WA too but we could have picked another quality guy at #12 AND have our own #1 for next year. But, if WA turns into a monster it was definitely a great trade for us.

Carter probably went to the best possible team in the eagles for him to succeed. With the studs already in place there’s no excuses for him not to

Yea, with all of his Georgia teammates there to push him to work hard. Wasn't Carter out of shape at his pro day? Will Carter blow up to 400+ pounds in the offseason? Philly needs to keep an eye on that.

Carter was not a consideration in the top 10 for most of the teams, not just Houston. The Eagles were in a unique situation. A veteran team with a winning culture. Depth that really didn't require Carter to hit right away (Carter still takes less than 50% of snaps). So far (5 games) Carter's issues at Georgia haven't shown up in Philly. Great for him and for Philly. But the final chapter is not over.

You have a point. I love WA too but we could have picked another quality guy at #12 AND have our own #1 for next year. But, if WA turns into a monster it was definitely a great trade for us.
Right now, 5 games into the 2023 season, I'm still waiting on him to start sacking some QBs as he's only got a single sack to date.
Yea that's right folks start to get impatient when their team antes up that kind of draft capital for an edge rusher.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but I think you're wrong. You're assuming 3 picks would be good players when the odds are against that. I think getting 1 player that you think is the best in the draft after you got the best QB in the draft is well worth it.

None of the players had played a down in the NFL, so the draft risk existed for WAJ as well albeit a smaller risk for the higher pick, the flip side of that is that they gave up the upside of being able to find 2-3 starters and at those picks, and at #12 and probably next years first the upside is a pro bowl level player. It’s all a crapshoot including drafting WAJ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will Anderson will be fine. He’s a rookie, give him time gentlemen.

The kid has been double and triple teamed multiple times in the first 4 games. I have also seen RBs chip him a couple times. Meaning 3 or 4 guys doing something to try to slow him down. Coaches saw his tape and know he is a force. Only thing is he mainly uses his speed right now. He has a few moves but nothing great. He will have to get them to a better level and then he will be a terror and that is when he should start posting multiple sacks, QB his and hurries

If we had the #2 pick & the #3 pick straight up, would you be upset if they used the #3 pick on Will Anderson?

No, I think the critics of the trade up, speaking for myself at least, love WAJ as a player, the cost, however is the sticking point. This isn’t the NBA where the value of draft picks rapidly erode, If the Texans fell in love with WAJ so be it, but it’s hard to equate love with rational thought. If they thought he was a can’t miss, those really don’t exist. There has to be a point where the cost is too high especially when weighed against the opportunity and upside of the other picks. The discussion around the trade seems to gravitate towards a litmus test on WAJ as a player or dismissing the draft as a crap shoot and minimizing the players the #12, #34, 2024 #1 could bring. That misses the point because A. He’s the #3 pick he will most likely be very good. B. Doesn’t incorporate the cost within the context of the state of the franchise. Value charts are made up, they aren’t individualized to each team, nor are individualized to each draft.

I think that is a good summary, if he is an elite guy AND the Texans are picking outside of the top 5-6 picks it’s a good trade, for me at least that doesn’t seem shrewd, I rather they would have kept next years #1 as insurance against a bad record and just used the other two picks filling holes or giving CJ more weapons. They have kinda painted themselves into a corner where the upside has been limited and the downside is somewhat exposed. Its funny how the conservative approach seems to be rarely lauded when the aggressive one always get praised, when conservative wins out more than aggressive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B. Doesn’t incorporate the cost within the context of the state of the franchise. Value charts are made up, they aren’t individualized to each team, nor are individualized to each draft.
Completely agree, which is why I asked if he thought WAjr was worth the #3 overall pick. We've got to start there.

3 seems a bit ambitious. We gave up next years first, a second and a third. Odds are one of those will miss. I’d say 2 players. Still a bad trade however

Just take a look at our 1st, second and 3rd round picks over the last 10 years.

2022: Stingley or Green...Pitre...Christian Harris
2021: No 1st or 2nd...Nico/Davis Mills in the 3rd
2020: No 1st...Ross Blacklock in the 2nd, Grennard in the 3rd
2019: Tytus Howard, Lonnie Johnson, Kahale Warring in the 3rd
2018: No 1st or 2nd...Justin Reid in the 3rd
2017: Watson, Cunningham..Foreman in the 3rd

I mean i could keep going & you can do this pretty much for every team, but you should get the point. Running hypotheticals in your head about what we could've had with draft picks is not only revisionist but its hindsight thinking at it finest & makes 0 sense in the face of what the actual "bust" rate of players coming out of the draft is. Quite honestly Its really fools gold. In no other league are draft picks valued so highly...& for good reason. This overvaluing of draft picks in the NFL stems from 1 damn trade made over 30 years ago that honestly is overhyped in & of itself.

What you're trying to do is nab those few difference maker guys that set your franchise up for a decade or longer......doesn't matter how you do it & what you give up to get them, just get them...Just look at KC's draft history prior to landing Mahomes..a bunch of blah save for Travis Kelce and Chris Jones..2 guys drafted 3-4 years apart. The Texans seemingly nabbed 2 of those impact guys in the same draft...which is a win no matter how you slice it.

Last edited:

I mean i could keep going & you can do this pretty much for every team, but you should get the point. Running hypotheticals in your head about what we could've had with draft picks is not only revisionist but its hindsight thinking at it finest & makes 0 sense in the face of what the actual "bust" rate of players coming out of the draft is. Quite honestly Its really fools gold. In no other league are draft picks valued so highly...& for good reason. This overvaluing of draft picks in the NFL stems from 1 damn trade made over 30 years ago that honestly is overhyped in & of itself.

What you're trying to do is nab those few difference maker guys that set your franchise up for a decade or longer......doesn't matter how you do it & what you give up to get them, just get them...Just look at KC's draft history prior to landing Mahomes..a bunch of blah save for Travis Kelce and Chris Jones..2 guys drafted 3-4 years apart. The Texans seemingly nabbed 2 of those impact guys in the same draft...which is a win no matter how you slice it.

They need to nab 2-3 more difference makers in the next draft and another 2-3 difference makers in FA even if they have to overpay. Do this and they will be true contenders. They have the draft capital to draft difference makers in rds 1-2 and draft capital to move up into the 2nd in a trade using a 3rd/4th. In addition to having an extra 3rd. Hit on 3 of these 4 guys and you're a contender.

Give me WR/TE/LB/RB in the draft and this draft is fairly deep at these positions. Then a DT/Edge in FA and this team with some form of healthy is a contender. This can be done because Caserio has the cap space/draft capital to make this happen.

They need to nab 2-3 more difference makers in the next draft and another 2-3 difference makers in FA even if they have to overpay. Do this and they will be true contenders. They have the draft capital to draft difference makers in rds 1-2 and draft capital to move up into the 2nd in a trade using a 3rd/4th. In addition to having an extra 3rd. Hit on 3 of these 4 guys and you're a contender.

Give me WR/TE/LB/RB in the draft and this draft is fairly deep at these positions. Then a DT/Edge in FA and this team with some form of healthy is a contender. This can be done because Caserio has the cap space/draft capital to make this happen.

I agree, but i like the way the team is composed right now on offense save for the RB position. Hate to say it b/c I like Pierce..... i think he has a place on this team as a change of pace guy, but i think we're seeing why he was never "the" guy at Florida. His vision isn't the greatest & the "tough" running only pays so much dividends. We need someone with a little better vision, short area quickness and wiggle back there. There have been opportunities in the run game that Pierce hasn't been able to exploit b/c he lacks 1 of those 3 i named above.

I also think the LB core could use an upgrade as well. Harris hasn't flashed enough, TooToo i think would be a good compliment to a bigger, faster lead dog at the mike position.
Finally we need that big space eater in the middle of the d-line. This is what i hope we spend our 1st on next year.

All you're doing is showing me what we already knew which is that the Texans have not been great at drafting. Yes I understand that picks are not guaranteed which is why it's important to have a lot of chances to get em right.

It's also the GM's job to get picks right so if you're telling me we shouldn't trust our GM to get 2/3 of the following picks right (next years 1st, the 33rd overall pick this year, and a 3rd rounder) then all I hear is we need a new GM.

Back