Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Updated Roster (Post-Draft)

No but you should see looks I get when I say God talks to me. (and Aaron Adams is not what I was referring to).
The problem isn't with God speaking, it's with people refusing to listen. But that is true for all authority.

The #Texans have released OT Will Yeatman.

Yeatman spent last season on IR with problems from his anterior cruciate surgery in 2013, while with Miami. I read somewhere in this forum that he did not participate in the off-season program or OTA's.

The Chronicle reported this morning that he was cut because he was still having problems and struggling to recover from this surgery "despite working hard to get himself into playing shape."

Yeatman spent last season on IR with problems from his anterior cruciate surgery in 2013, while with Miami. I read somewhere in this forum that he did not participate in the off-season program or OTA's.

The Chronicle reported this morning that he was cut because he was still having problems and struggling to recover from this surgery "despite working hard to get himself into playing shape."

Despite what you may have heard, Yeatman was not IR'ed for ACL problems. He sustained a severe concussion during the middle of 2014 TC, which led to significant balance problems. Following ~2 months of little improvement, he was sent out of state to a well-known sports concussion rehab center for evaluation which identified that he had sustained a specific injury to that part of the brain that controls balance. Even though, he was eventually release to return to play as pertains to this event. Some patients with this type of concussion will have recurrent long-term balance problems.

The Chronicle reports that his cut was due to problems and struggle in his recovery from ACL surgery. I would have to wonder if continued balance problems, which could also easily account for struggling to return to football from any other injury.........or no additional injury.

Despite what you may have heard, Yeatman was not IR'ed for ACL problems. He sustained a severe concussion during the middle of 2014 TC, which led to significant balance problems. Following ~2 months of little improvement, he was sent out of state to a well-known sports concussion rehab center for evaluation which identified that he had sustained a specific injury to that part of the brain that controls balance. Even though, he was eventually release to return to play as pertains to this event. Some patients with this type of concussion will have recurrent long-term balance problems.

The Chronicle reports that his cut was due to problems and struggle in his recovery from ACL surgery. I would have to wonder if continued balance problems, which could also easily account for struggling to return to football from any other injury.........or no additional injury.
Isn't this the kind of thing injury settlements are for??

Isn't this the kind of thing injury settlements are for??

Injury settlements have to be agreed upon by both sides. If the player was placed on IR, he is paid his salary, and medical evaluation and rehab is paid for.

This from National Football Post may help understand what may happen after IR (reading the entire article is worthwhile):

What is an injury settlement?
Posted September 3, 2014

Injury settlements are used in lieu of placing a player on the Injured Reserve (IR) until he is healthy enough to be released. If an injury is deemed to take longer than 17 weeks to recover the player will be placed on IR for the season and receive his full salary (unless he has a split contract). Injury settlements are also used to lighten the load of the training room. If a team has six players who have injuries that require rehabilitation it will tie up the time and resources of the training room. Teams want to move on from players they think wouldn’t have made their team, are expendable talents and/or are easily replaceable.

Injury settlements can also give a team a chance at getting a player back during that same season. There is a rule in place that the team (agreeing to a settlement) can’t resign that player until a minimum of six weeks passes following the amount of weeks of the initial settlement. So for our MCL example, the team cannot resign that player for the first eleven weeks. For a player who did a three week/3 game settlement, his team can’t sign him back until after week nine. However, the player is free to sign with another team.

If a player, usually upon the advice of his agent, doesn’t want to do an injury settlement, it’s the team’s obligation to rehab and give him medical treatment. Once the team and the team’s physician deem the player healthy enough to return to the field, the team will release the player from the injured list. If the player feels he is still injured, he has the right to file an injury grievance against the team. An independent arbitrator (as spelled out in the CBA) will hear the grievance.

SOTT: Houston Texans 53-Man Roster Analysis
With one week of Houston Texans training camp in the books, we take a look at the 90 man roster and who they could possilby fit on the team. We take a closer look at the "locks", "bubble" players and the "long shots" of the Texans roster.

Quarterbacks
Locks: Ryan Mallett, Brian Hoyer, Tom Savage

Bubble: None

Longshots: None

Analysis: The Texans will roll into the season with three quarterbacks. The competition for starting quarterback continues to be the early storyline of training camp but the development of Savage should not be overlooked.

Running Backs
Locks: Arian Foster, Alfred Blue, Jay Prosch

Bubble: Jonathan Grimes, Kenny Hilliard, Chris Polk

Analysis: This group will stay fluid as the Texans sit on Foster’s injury status. If the Texans can keep Foster off of the injured reserve, that will more than likely sets up the Texans to keep four running backs. Grimes, Hilliard, and Polk will be pushing for the potential two spots open on the depth chart.

Wide Receivers
Locks: DeAndre Hopkins, Nate Washington, Cecil Shorts III, Jaelen Strong

Bubble: Keith Mumphery, Alan Bonner Keshawn Martin, Damaris Johnson

Longshots: Uzoma Nwachukwu, Travis Labhart, Chandler Worthy, Jace Davis

Analysis: The first four locks are pretty solid in our estimation and Strong will more than likely be worked during situations that fit him best. The bubble group is an interesting one and they have been affected by the injury to Foster. Mumphery could easily be in the lock category but some time will be needed to see him return kicks and punts, which will be key. If Bonner can continue to build off his strong first week of camp, he could sneak in because of his value at the slot and the return game.

Tight Ends
Locks: C.J. Fiedorowicz, Ryan Griffin, Garrett Graham

Bubble: Anthony Denham

Longshots: Michael McFarland, Khari Lee

Analysis: It is hard to see the Texans moving on from the same exact tight end group from last season. Fiedorowicz and Griffin seem to be taking the bulk of the work at the position, allowing Graham to be the “H-Back” player they intended for him to be. The tight ends need to get better but part of their low production in 2014 was due to the quarterbacks not getting the ball to them. With quarterbacks who know the system, a natural spike in production should be in order.

Offensive Tackles
Locks: Duane Brown, Derek Newton, Jeff Adams

Bubble: Aaron Adams

Longshots: Joseph Treadwell, Kendall Lamm, Bryan Witzmann

Analysis: Jeff Adams stays in the group despite working at left guard, which the team appears to be doing by design. Versatility is the key for the offensive line and the more the group can do the better. Brown and Newton are one of the top duos in the NFL while Aaron Adams is being worked quickly into the rotation to get him prepared for the season. The Texans took four offensive tackles last season to week one; expect the same for this year.

Offensive Guards
Locks: Brandon Brooks, Xavier Su'a-Filo

Bubble: Matt Feiler, Cody White

Longshots: Chad Slade, David Quessenberry*

Analysis: It is too early to throw the towel in on Su’a-Filo and he is being tested early in camp with Jeff Adams getting snaps at left guard in front of him. Cody White is a key piece as he is able to play both guard and center and his camp has started out strong. David Quessenberry continues to come back from his battle with lymphoma and he will continue to be inactive until cleared to play.

Centers
Locks: Ben Jones

Bubble: Greg Mancz

Longshots: James Ferentz

Analysis: This group is better than most realize starting with Ben Jones who looks at home returning to the position that made him one of the top offensive linemen in the nation coming out of Georgia. He has shown early that an extra 25 lbs. at the position makes a difference at the point of attack. Greg Mancz intrigued the Texans enough they thought about drafting him even with his shoulder injury but ended up locking him up soon after the draft. Now healthy, Mancz is slowly getting back into the swing of things

Defensive Line
Locks: J.J. Watt, Vince Wilfork, Jared Crick, Louis Nix, Christian Covington, Jeoffrey Pagan

Bubble: Brandon Deaderick

Longshots: Jasper Coleman, Tevita Finau, Cameron McLeod, Dan Pettinato, Chris Neild

Analysis: The defensive line is one of the of the strengths of the team and the locks are what the Texans want to go into the season for week one. The group gives them enough versatility to play how they need. There has been plenty of criticism of Louis Nix, but he has had a good camp before coming up with a minor health issue at the start of last week. The veteran Brandon Deaderick is in position to take over if any of the “locks” comes up short but this position group appears to be set. The amount of players at the position will more than likely keep Watt, Wilfork, and possibly Crick with limited preseason work to keep them healthy for week one.

Inside Linebackers
Locks: Brian Cushing, Mike Mohamed, Benardrick McKinney

Bubble: Max Bullough, Akeem Dent, Justin Tuggle

Longshots: Jeff Tarpinian, Reshard Cliett*

Analysis: One of the more intriguing groups of camp, the top three linebackers have been consistent. Cushing, Mohamed, and McKinney could be the three needed to run the defensive system. Dent, who is nursing an injury, will be under pressure to catch up. He was in a similar situation last year when he was injured with an ankle issue. Rehsard Cliett’s season appears to be in question after news came out about his diagnosis with a knee injury. Max Bullough has been one to watch and his knowledge of the game is making him shine. Always putting himself into the right position, Bullough appears to be pushing for the 53-man roster.

Outside Linebackers
Locks: Whitney Mercilus, John Simon, Jadeveon Clowney

Bubble: Jason Ankrah, Lynden Trail

Longshots: Carlos Thompson, Tony Washington, Kourtnei Brown

Analysis: It appears to be Mercilus and Simon as the potential starters for week one, with Clowney eased in as the season progresses. Filling out the depth chart has been a competition between Ankrah and Trail. Both have upside but Ankrah is the one closest to NFL ready. This will be a big stretch for Ankrah to show he can help out in the pass rush department, especially with Clowney coming back from injury. One player to watch moving forward is Tony Washington. He has been given some opportunities to see what he has as an edge player and still has a lot of room to grow as a player, but it appears he has some upside.

Cornerbacks
Locks: Johnathan Joseph, Kareem Jackson, A.J. Bouye, Kevin Johnson, Darryl Morris

Bubble: Charles James, Jumal Rolle

Analysis: The deepest position on the roster, the seventh (yes, you read it right) cornerback job is the only position up for grabs at the moment. Charles James and Jumal Rolle have both put in work and can easily be on the roster when it is all said and done. James has the want to and is a ball hawk in coverage, while Rolle continues to be a steady player on the field. The Texans have five cornerbacks who could start on majority of NFL rosters; that should not be overlooked.

Safeties
Locks: Rahim Moore, Andre Hal, Stevie Brown

Bubble: Lonnie Ballentine, Corey Moore, Eddie Pleasant

Longshots: Kurtis Drummond, Terrance Parks

Analysis: The top three safeties appear to be in order with Andre Hall and Stevie Brown pushing for the second safety spot. Hal’s transition to the position has been impressive but the real test will be when offenses have real game plans headed his direction. Eddie Pleasant will solidify his spot with a solid preseason and he continues to be an important piece of the special teams unit. Ballentine has to prove that he can stay healthy, while Moore and Drummond will continue getting plenty of work to see what they can do.

Specialty
Locks: Jonathan Weeks, Shane Lechler, Randy Bullock

Bubble: None

Longshots: Will Johnson

Analysis: The specialty unit will be together for the third consecutive season barring injury.

Player Features from Training Camp
Growth and Progression for Kareem Jackson | Nate Washington Playing for Keeps | Jadeveon Clowney has Tentative Return Date | Video: The Price for #75 Derek Newton Explains | Tom Savage Wearing Goggles? | Houston Remains Home Christian Covington | Back to Business for Alan Bonner | J.J. Watt and Ryan Mallett Post-Practice Fun | Texans Quarterbacks Front and Center | Cecil Shorts III Fitting in with the Texans | Shane Lechler is Not Stopping Anytime Soon | Still Business for Jonathan Grimes | Johanthan Joseph and Kareem Jackson Continue for Forge Their Bond

Training Camp Updates
Day One | Day Two | Training Camp Tidbits | Arian Foster Out | Arian Foster Set for Surgery | Reshard Cliett’s Season Cut Short | Day Three | Day Four | The Rumble in Richmond | Willie McGinest Talks the Houston Texans

Training Camp Primers
Ulitimate Texans Training Camp Guide | 5 Under the Radar | 5 Most Intriguing | 5 On the Bubble | 5 for the Fans | 10 Early Questions

Last edited:
Thanks! Thoughts: I have heard zero about Stevie Brown. Is he healthy?
I continue to hope Bullough makes 53 but I think he is PS eligible so may end up there.
CBs, the article names 7 players then said the 7th spot remains open? would not the 7th best CB get the 7th remaining spot barring another player pick up?

Good stuff PO !
"It is too early to throw the towel in on Su’a-Filo"" Short of getting in trouble for making a move on Billy's spouse, I can't imagine any scenario where the X-man is not still on the Texans roster at the end of the current regular season ? And do you think there is any chance they could also work Mumphres in at RB for some snaps where he'd be at 2 positions on the DC ?

I have heard zero about Stevie Brown. Is he healthy?

Stevie has been healthy and was well-spoken and seemed pretty intelligent in interview. Dre Hal is giving him a run for his money as #2 S so far.

...And do you think there is any chance they could also work Mumphres in at RB for some snaps where he'd be at 2 positions on the DC ?

Mumphery has cooled a bit from his early fast start. He's going to have to master one and likely two WR positions before taking on special package plays, imo.

I'm wondering if XSF's back issues that lingered throughout 2014 are still affecting him?

Stevie has been healthy and was well-spoken and seemed pretty intelligent in interview. Dre Hal is giving him a run for his money as #2 S so far.

Mumphery has cooled a bit from his early fast start. He's going to have to master one and likely two WR positions before taking on special package plays, imo.

I'm wondering if XSF's back issues that lingered throughout 2014 are still affecting him?

I hope Hal was my favorite player from last years draft, i think the boy has some mad skill and a nose for the ball. CB or Safety i think he will be a beast at both.

Yes, dude can beat you with speed/quicks and decent hands. But an injury magnet.

Is he really? 2013 I thought they IR'd him to not have him pass through waivers. 2014 he broke a bone in his foot. Fluke injury of a kind I believe Doc said recovery should be 100% no increased future risk.

If that's what's holding him back wouldn't you think they'd put that out there for no other reason than to cut short the speculation about him being a possible bust ?

Appreciate update; I am hoping Short 3, S. Brown and N. Washington jump start their careers this season. I am really pleased at the way safety appears to be rounding out.

If that's what's holding him back wouldn't you think they'd put that out there for no other reason than to cut short the speculation about him being a possible bust ?
No indication that O'Brien cares a flip about what is speculated about. It could be that coaches think X should be playing through the back injury if it is an issue.

No indication that O'Brien cares a flip about what is speculated about. It could be that coaches think X should be playing through the back injury if it is an issue.

Some on the Texans staff (evidently including the medical personnel) thought the same of Clowney after his initial knee surgery.

Some on the Texans staff (evidently including the medical personnel) thought the same of Clowney after his initial knee surgery.
Pain and injury should be treated differently. Play through pain, but guard against further injury. Knowing the difference is the art and lost on many coaches and most fans.

As taken from HT.com on 8/11/15:

0kYo2LN.jpg

vAK510H.jpg

LYZwWp0.jpg

Some of these placements, like the rookie placements last in line, look like first game SOP.

Nix over Neild is important.

Ballentine over Pleasant, Worthy and Bonner at KR/PR, Stevie over Dre Hal, Sua-Filo not backup C expected but interesting.

Shorts at #2 contradicts OB's earlier estimate that Washington would be the #2.

Biggest depth chart loser??? Keyshawn Martin. Buried.

Last edited:
Wondering why the team hasn't officially placed Cliett on the Injured Reserve and signed another player to the 90 man roster?

Maybe because they wanted to save the announcement of the true extent of his injury for Hard Knocks airing...........then he will now be waived injured.........and ~24 hours later announced to be placed on IR?? Or they have been trying to negotiate an outright injury settlement release.

Maybe because they wanted to save the announcement of the true extent of his injury for Hard Knocks airing...........then he will now be waived injured.........and ~24 hours later announced to be placed on IR?? Or they have been trying to negotiate an outright injury settlement release.

I don't think they would waive him or set up injury settlement. I think he gets placed directly to injured reserve, redshirt 2015 season.

I don't think they would waive him or set up injury settlement. I think he gets placed directly to injured reserve, redshirt 2015 season.

That would be reasonable, but they could be waiting to see what is found during surgery. If the injury is found to include significant associated injuries that would question his ultimate ability to return to expected performance any where close to pre-injury, the Texans may not want to make the decision to keep him on the IR.

That would be reasonable, but they could be waiting to see what is found during surgery. If the injury is found to include significant associated injuries that would question his ultimate ability to return to expected performance any where close to pre-injury, the Texans may not want to make the decision to keep him on the IR.

That's a fair take. Word I got today is team feels good about their ILB group and do not see a need to make a move at the moment. See what happens at the cut down to 75.

Doc, I learned something new this morning and it seems very applicable to Cliett.

Prior to the first roster cut down to 75 players, any non-vested player cannot be placed directly to a team IR. The player must be placed on waivers first. After the first roster cut down to 75 players, teams no longer use the waived/injured designation; and teams can place non-vested players directly to IR.

IMO that explains why Cliett has not been placed on IR yet. The team doesn't want to take a chance on waivers and losing the player, so they will wait until the first roster cut down and then will have the ability to place Cliett directly to IR without going through the waiver process.

Last edited:
Doc, I learned something new this morning and it seems very applicable to Cliett.

Prior to the first roster cut down to 75 players, any non-vested player cannot be placed directly to a team IR. The place must be placed on waivers first. After the first roster cut down to 75 players, teams no longer use the waived/injured designation; and teams can place non-vested players directly to IR.

IMO that explains why Cliett has not been placed on IR yet. The team doesn't want to take a chance on waivers and losing the player, so they will wait until the first roster cut down and then will have the ability to place Cliett directly to IR without going through the waiver process.

Excellent information! Makes sense now. Thanks!

As Troy excellently stated above, O'Brien clearly likes Cliett which is why they haven't made a move on that yet. They don't want to risk him hitting waivers.

Per multiple reports, Texans signed two vets:

S-Quintin Demps
DE-Fili Moala

No word on corresponding releases.
Thanks for the information. Demps (30) has return ability to go with Safety Skills.

I can't find out when the Colts released Fili Moala, but he doesn't appear on their roster and was last seen on their IR for an ACL (June 2014).

Thanks for the information. Demps (30) has return ability to go with Safety Skills.

I can't find out when the Colts released Fili Moala, but he doesn't appear on their roster and was last seen on their IR for an ACL (June 2014).
The Colts didn't release him - he signed a one year contract in March of 2014, and it simply expired.

PDS ‏@PatDStat
Bringing in Moala more than likely to have enough players for the preseason. Watt/Wilfork/Crick should be limited during the preseason.

#Texans have to find a roster player that can play a position and return. Can't burn a roster spot on just a returner.​

Is there a thread about us bringing in Quentin demps and fili moala (sp?)

No, reported above...
Per multiple reports, Texans signed two vets:

S-Quintin Demps
DE-Fili Moala

No word on corresponding releases.

and here: http://www.texanstalk.com/posts/2513237/

But certainly new thread/topic worthy.

Last edited:
Interesting to note that, after having knee problems all season, Fili Moala underwent a right ACL repair in November 2012 and went on to play all 16 2013 games, while demonstrating very little pass rush capabilities nor run-stopping value (total of 19 tackles). In June 2014 he sustained a "partial" tear of his "ACL"............the same side which was repaired with a tendon during the 2012 surgery. He missed all last season. He opted not to undergo surgery, and essentially rehabbed his knee conservatively.

I thought we had an extra spot, but something could have easily slipped past me. I was battling food poisoning this weekend.
Eeew. Remind me not to visit that part of Spain. We have some personnel who could just as well be cut now because they're not going to make the team. Kmart, Thompson,....

Back