Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Updated Roster (Post-Draft)

2015 Depth Charts Update: Houston Texans
ProFootballFocus | June 3, 2015

[Click image to enlarge]

Notes
  • The big question for the Texans offense, is who winds up as the team’s starting quarterback. They’ve added Brian Hoyer, but he struggled mightily in Cleveland in 2014, finishing the year as our fifth lowest graded signal caller. His competition, Ryan Mallett, finally started a game last season but played hurt in his second and final game leading to a -8.3 passing grade against Cincinnati.
  • Losing Andre Johnson at wide receiver hurts, despite his level of play dropping significantly in 2014. DeAndre Hopkins has emerged as their number one receiver, but they have so little else at the position. We liked Jaelen Strong coming out of Arizona State, and they’ll need him to produce early to help the offense out.
  • J.J Watt’s role on defense leads to him playing as an edge defender a lot of the time, but the big concern in Houston, is where the rest of the pass rush comes from. Big things were expected from Jadeveon Clowney when they drafted him with the first overall selection in the 2014 NFL draft, but injuries kept us from seeing much from him in his rookie season. Whitney Mercilushas graded negatively in each of his three seasons in the league as a pass rusher, but they’ll need one of those two to come up big in 2015.
  • The addition of Vince Wilfork helps out the middle of that defensive line however. Despite his advancing years, Wilfork is still stout against the run and will solidify the defense inside Watt. Finishing 2014 as our sixth highest graded 3-4 defensive end against the run, he can still contribute plenty to this defense.

Changes ...

Offense - Foster, Newton, Graham, Shorts, Washington, and Hoyer up a level. Brooks down one.

Defense - Crick and Mercilus up one.

For comparison purposes...
IND-Off.jpg

hmmm...
Frank Gore is "average"?

And back to our guys, why do they have Kareem in the slot and not at RCB??

And back to our guys, why do they have Kareem in the slot and not at RCB??

I imagine because majority of defensive snaps are in nickel/dime, where KJ1 slides over to the slot.

Pure projection at this point, like Strong and BMac.

Earlier today in car I thought I heard radio guy say Texans has signed a vet center today. Anyone hear this?
I can't find anything on it so maybe it was about the DT from NO.

Haven't heard anything, not to say it hasn't happened. Waiver wire usually isn't posted until 4PM CST, I can look then.

**The wire is already up. No new signings for Houston. Just Mack Brown clearing waivers.**

Last edited:
Code:
#     NAME                 POS.   HT.    WT.
6     Worthy, Chandler      WR    5-9    173
8     Johnson, Will          P    6-2    206
11    Strong, Jaelen        WR    6-2    217
12    Mumphery, Keith       WR    6-0    215
27    Parks, Terrance       DB    6-2    218
30    Johnson, Kevin        CB    6-0    188
38    Hilliard, Kenny       RB    5-11   226
40    Drummond, Kurtis       S    6-1    208
43    Moore, Corey           S    6-2    206
44    Thompson, Carlos     OLB    6-5    243
47    Trail, Lynden        OLB    6-7    269
49    Washington, Tony     OLB    6-4    247
55    McKinney, Benardrick ILB    6-4    246
58    Cliett, Reshard      OLB    6-2    222
62    Slade, Chad            G    6-5    315
63    Lamm, Kendall          T    6-6    305
64    Coleman, Jasper       DE    6-4    290
65    Mancz, Greg            C    6-4    301
66    Treadwell, Joseph      T    6-5    324
69    Ivory, Brandon        DT    6-4    308
86    Lee, Khari            TE    6-4    235
89    McFarland, Mike       TE    6-5    252
95    Covington, Christian  DT    6-2    289
96    Pettinato, Dan        DE    6-4    277
98    McLeod, Cameron       DE    6-5    282

By request, new guys numbers as of today.

And some new/little known vets...

Code:
2     Davis, Jace         WR    6-1    206
7     Hoyer, Brian        QB    6-2    215
18    Shorts, Cecil       WR    6-0    202
22    Polk, Chris         RB    5-11   222
26    Moore, Rahim        FS    6-1    195
27    Parks, Terrance     DB    6-2    218
31    James, Charles      DB    5-9    179
33    Brown, Stevie       FS    5-11   215
39    Ballentine, Lonnie   S    6-3    215
61    Deaderick, Brandon  DE    6-4    305
72    Newton, Derek        T    6-6    313
75    Wilfork, Vince      DT    6-2    325
85    Washington, Nate    WR    6-1    183

Last edited:
Code:
#     NAME                 POS.   HT.    WT.
6     Worthy, Chandler      WR    5-9    173
8     Johnson, Will          P    6-2    206
11    Strong, Jaelen        WR    6-2    217
12    Mumphery, Keith       WR    6-0    215
27    Parks, Terrance       DB    6-2    218
30    Johnson, Kevin        CB    6-0    188
38    Hilliard, Kenny       RB    5-11   226
40    Drummond, Kurtis       S    6-1    208
43    Moore, Corey           S    6-2    206
44    Thompson, Carlos     OLB    6-5    243
47    Trail, Lynden        OLB    6-7    269
49    Washington, Tony     OLB    6-4    247
55    McKinney, Benardrick ILB    6-4    246
58    Cliett, Reshard      OLB    6-2    222
62    Slade, Chad            G    6-5    315
63    Lamm, Kendall          T    6-6    305
64    Coleman, Jasper       DE    6-4    290
65    Mancz, Greg            C    6-4    301
66    Treadwell, Joseph      T    6-5    324
69    Ivory, Brandon        DT    6-4    308
86    Lee, Khari            TE    6-4    235
89    McFarland, Mike       TE    6-5    252
95    Covington, Christian  DT    6-2    289
96    Pettinato, Dan        DE    6-4    277
98    McLeod, Cameron       DE    6-5    282

By request, new guys numbers as of today.

And some new/little known vets...

Code:
2     Davis, Jace         WR    6-1    206
7     Hoyer, Brian        QB    6-2    215
18    Shorts, Cecil       WR    6-0    202
22    Polk, Chris         RB    5-11   222
26    Moore, Rahim        FS    6-1    195
27    Parks, Terrance     DB    6-2    218
31    James, Charles      DB    5-9    179
33    Brown, Stevie       FS    5-11   215
39    Ballentine, Lonnie   S    6-3    215
72    Newton, Derek        T    6-6    313
75    Wilfork, Vince      DT    6-2    325
85    Washington, Nate    WR    6-1    183
That's all but Brandon Deaderick DT. My suspicion is the latest 91, but that seems to be a number that gets cut a lot.

Oops! Jason Ankrah has that number now.

There aren't many numbers left this time of year.

Last edited:
Mike Meltser: Did The Texans Fill Their Holes On Defense?

For reference: Mike Meltser’s January 2015 Texans Roster Holes

Four months later, how does that analysis look? How did Rick Smith and Bill O’Brien go about filling those holes? With the moves that were made, how confident are we that the team can improve on a 9-7 season?

DL – JJ Watt, Jared Crick, Jeoffrey Pagan

Thankfully, this is a position the front office doesn’t necessarily have to replenish from the outside. Nothing more has to be said about Watt. Crick came on strong in 2014, especially by the end of the season. Pagan showed flashes as a rookie. Both are under rookie deals, so they are on the roster.

At NT, decisions will have to be made on Ryan Pickett and Jerrell Powe. Pickett solidified the run defense when he signed early in the season; does he want to play another full season, and does Houston think he can hold up for another year? Both Pickett and Powe are free agents.

Conclusion = 3 holes

Verdict: The Texans decided to make a significant move here, signing Vince Wilfork to a 2 year, $9M deal with $5M guaranteed. He’s slotted in as the starting NT, with Powe and Pickett moving on. I’m always very cautious about signing former Patriots, because New England rarely makes mistakes. How much does Wilfork have left?

Based on the money, he will clearly be expected to upgrade on the production of the Pickett/Powe combo. Houston also drafted Rice product Christian Covington, who I like because of his college career and quickness. Pagan should be an improving player.

Perhaps most importantly of all, Nix showed up to OTAs in good shape and earning praise from his head coach. If all pans out, the Texans will have their nose tackle of the present (Wilfork) and future (Nix).

LB – Jadeveon Clowney, Whitney Mercilus, Brian Cushing

Clowney’s health status is a far bigger question than his roster status. Is he going to be available for training camp? Is he a candidate for the regular season (6 game) PUP list?

Mercilus, despite his stats, had his best season in 2014. He’s a vastly improved player against the run, and is able to set the edge well. I would pencil him in as a starter for next season.

Brooks Reed and Akeem Dent are free agents, and I don’t think Reed is a priority FA.

This is a tough position to figure out in terms of roster holes. Between Clowney’s health and Reed being a free agent, it would seem that the Texans need to draft or sign a legitimate option at OLB.

Conclusion = 3 holes

Verdict: Maybe the most surprising part of the offseason was the decision not to add more depth at outside linebacker, beyond selecting a project in Reshard Cliett in the sixth round of the draft. The Texans allowed Reed to walk away to the Falcons, and gave Mercilus a new contract.

On the outside, Clowney’s health remains the big question, and I would submit that the decision to draft Kevin Johnson over Bud Dupree gives a point to the idea that Jadeveon’s recovery is going relatively well. Mercilus was solid in 2014, but he needs to continue to improve to justify the new deal.

Inside, the big move was to trade up and select Mississippi State’s Benardrick McKinney. My educated guess is that if he is in shape and learns the defense, the coaches hope to have McKinney starting next to Cushing in the base defense.

There are questions about McKinney’s pass coverage and versatility, but he does appear to be the type of classic thumper that Romeo Crennel likes to use. Cushing says he’s the healthiest he has been since 2012, and it’s a huge season for his future.

CB – Kareem Jackson or Johnathan Joseph, AJ Bouye

I have a tough time seeing both Jackson and Joseph back in 2015. Jackson is a free agent, and reportedly turned down an extension in August. To keep him, Houston would need to pay market rate, and cornerbacks are in high demand. Joseph has a high cap figure of $12.25M next season, and I don’t think that is a sustainable figure.

Ultimately, my guess is that the Texans opt to either re-sign Jackson, or let him walk and figure out a way to keep Joseph at a cheaper rate.

Conclusion = 1 hole

Verdict: Wrong. Smith opted to re-sign Jackson to a significant contract during the opening weekend of free agency, and Joseph remains on the roster with a $12.2M cap hit.

This investment in the corner spot was made possible largely based on the releases of Andre Johnson, Chris Myers, and the re-structured contract of JJ Watt. Given that the Texans are operating at a quarterback disadvantage in the division, I like the decision to fortify the secondary here.

Also, Houston drafted Johnson in the first round, a decision that clearly fits the “best player available” criteria. While I still like Joseph/Jackson as a CB combo, this team needs a bit more raw quickness in the defensive backfield, and Johnson definitely adds that.

How ready will KJ be in his rookie season for nickel and dime packages? Bouye’s progress will also be interesting to watch, as he struggled with penalty flags in 2014.

S – DJ Swearinger

Same story as last season. Swearinger himself is a tough player to evaluate; he shows flashes of impact plays, but makes mind-boggling mistakes combined with a lack of true centerfield ability. Nonetheless, the team likes the attitude he brings, and he’s a young player on a rookie deal.

Both Kendrick Lewis and Danieal Manning are free agents. If Lewis is re-signed, you can pencil him in as a starter. Manning probably needs to be replaced, ideally by somebody at a skill position or DB with return ability.

Conclusion = 3 holes

Verdict: Correct on having 3 holes, completely incorrect assuming that Swearinger would definitely be on the team in 2015. I still have reservations about his release, because I think there’s a decent player that lurks within DJ. My hope is that O’Brien and Smith did not give up on him too quickly.

Before his release, the Texans signed Rahim Moore to a legitimate free agent contract, solidifying the free safety spot. Two questions here: who takes over at strong safety, and who is the 3rd safety that Crennel chooses to use?

Stevie Brown is an intriguing signing, as he’s a few years removed from a high INT season, but one more recent year removed from a torn ACL. Lonnie Ballentine spent all of 2014 on a milk carton, buthas garnered some pretty good reviews during these spring OTAs. If he is an actual player, that makes me feel much better about this position.

Eddie Pleasant has been a solid special teams player in Houston, but I question if he has the athleticism and instincts to stay on the field as an actual safety. There are some intriguing UDFAs in Kurtis Drummond and Corey Moore.

Overall thoughts: Despite my (unpopular) cautionary stance on Wilfork, I am relatively unconcerned about the defensive line heading into the 2015 season.

The story of the defense will be told, barring unforseen catastrophic injury, at the linebacker spot and at safety. Clowney’s rehab and return is vital for both this season and the long-term future of this franchise. If the Texans can get Watt and Clowney playing together at a high level, that combination seems almost good enough by itself to anchor a top 5 defense.

If McKinney is ready to play as a rookie and Cushing is actually as healthy as he claims, then Houston is in business on the inside. However, both are question marks, though I would give McKinney a good shot to be productive against the run.

I like the signing of Moore, although I’m not certain he will produce statistically like Kendrick Lewis was able to in 2014. The rest of the safeties are a question mark. If Crennel plans to use three safeties for a significant amount of time, I hope that Brown is healthy and Ballentine can play. It’s hard for me to envision Pleasant being a legitimate contributor at safety.​

Way-Too-Early Predictions For The Texans 53 Man Roster
Brett Kollmann|BRB

With OTAs done with and nothing but a mandatory three day minicamp standing between us and actual training camp, I decided to go through the complete Texans depth chart on Ourlads to try and piece together a way-too-early projection for the final 53 man roster. Please note that these predictions will almost certainly be changed several times in the lead up to Houston’s week one showdown with the Chiefs.

Offense

QB: Ryan Mallett, Brian Hoyer, Tom Savage
RB: Arian Foster, Alfred Blue, Chris Polk
WR: DeAndre Hopkins, Cecil Shorts, Nate Washington, Jaelen Strong, Damaris Johnson, Keith Mumphery
TE: Garrett Graham, C.J. Fiedorowicz, Ryan Griffin
FB: Jay Prosch
LT: Duane Brown, Will Yeatman
LG: Xavier Su’a-Filo, David Quessenberry
C: Ben Jones
RG: Brandon Brooks
RT: Derek Newton​
Defense

DE: J.J. Watt, Jared Crick, Christian Covington, Jeoffrey Pagan
NT: Vince Wilfork, Louis Nix III
SOLB: Whitney Mercilus, John Simon
ILB: Brian Cushing, Mike Mohamed, Benardrick McKinney, Akeem Dent, Jeff Tarpinian, Justin Tuggle
WOLB: Jadeveon Clowney, Lynden Trail, Jason Ankrah
CB: Johnathan Joseph, Kareem Jackson, Kevin Johnson, A.J. Bouye, Darryl Morris, Charles James
SS: Eddie Pleasant, Reshard Cliett, Stevie Brown
FS: Rahim Moore, Andre Hal, Lonnie Ballentine

First things first, yes, I believe that Keshawn Martin will not make this team in 2015. Ironically enough, it is likely that his roster spot will be taken by fellow former Spartan Keith Mumphery, who has made a lot of positive impressions throughout this summer as a rookie. In addition, I believe that Andre Hal’s conversion to safety should stick long term considering how deep the team is at cornerback, how productive Hal was as a gunner on special teams, and how useful it is to have a safety that can drop down into the slot and cover receivers man to man. If I had to guess, he will likely be Rahim Moore’s primary backup.

I had a lot of trouble deciding on who will be the 53rd man on the roster, but eventually I settled on Lynden Trail as a long, athletic project at outside linebacker who can probably contribute immediately on special teams early in his career. Considering his physical potential, do not be surprised if the team keeps him around as a rotational option while Jadeveon Clowney continues recovering from microfracture surgery.​

Brett Kollmann|BRB

With OTAs done with and nothing but a mandatory three day minicamp standing between us and actual training camp, I decided to go through the complete Texans depth chart on Ourlads to try and piece together a way-too-early projection for the final 53 man roster. Please note that these predictions will almost certainly be changed several times in the lead up to Houston’s week one showdown with the Chiefs.

Offense

WR: DeAndre Hopkins, Cecil Shorts, Nate Washington, Jaelen Strong, Damaris Johnson, Keith Mumphery
Defense

ILB: Brian Cushing, Mike Mohamed, Benardrick McKinney, Akeem Dent, Jeff Tarpinian, Justin Tuggle
CB: Johnathan Joseph, Kareem Jackson, Kevin Johnson, A.J. Bouye, Darryl Morris, Charles James

First things first, yes, I believe that Keshawn Martin will not make this team in 2015. Ironically enough, it is likely that his roster spot will be taken by fellow former Spartan Keith Mumphery, who has made a lot of positive impressions throughout this summer as a rookie. In addition, I believe that Andre Hal’s conversion to safety should stick long term considering how deep the team is at cornerback, how productive Hal was as a gunner on special teams, and how useful it is to have a safety that can drop down into the slot and cover receivers man to man. If I had to guess, he will likely be Rahim Moore’s primary backup.

I had a lot of trouble deciding on who will be the 53rd man on the roster, but eventually I settled on Lynden Trail as a long, athletic project at outside linebacker who can probably contribute immediately on special teams early in his career. Considering his physical potential, do not be surprised if the team keeps him around as a rotational option while Jadeveon Clowney continues recovering from microfracture surgery.​

I always enjoy Bret's analysis. A few things about his roster, though, are very unlikely...

1- there is no way we only keep 7 OL (one of them coming off cancer treatment, while we have 12 DBS on the roster.

2- our roster depth is far to strong to open the season with so many rookie projects (Mumphery, Cliett, Trail, James, Covington).. In addition to all the early rounder rookies... Most of those guys, even if they flash in preseason, are more likely to end up on the practice squad... A couple of them could certainly make it... But not 5!

I began my roster last night and got online just now to complete and saw this one. Pretty much my guys with exceptions:
Offense:
WR I think I would chance Worthy over Demaris Johnson, both same size and Worthy would be better than DJ at returns IMO.

C I would keep Ferentz and put Mancz on PS. This allows Jones to move to LG if needed.

I'm very concerned that Q might not make roster.

Defense:
ILB Bullough in.. Tarpinian out.

safety I have seen nothing from Pleasant to keep him. Brown (if healthy) Cliett and Drummond on roster. As of now I don't see Parks making team either.

Corner I like James but not over Rolle.

I've had a preliminary 53 for several weeks now and it's pretty much the same for the offense, with these differences:
1) We go with 5 receivers with Damaris Johnson not making the cut;
2) Quessenberry goes to the PS;
3) Add Greg Mancz, Cody White and Matt Feiler to the OL'man who make the squad for a total of 9;
This makes 24 for the offense instead of the usual 25. There's too much talent on the defense I want to hold on to. I like Chandler Worthy as a return specialist, but he goes to the PS this year, as well as Kenny Hilliard. Polk and Mumphery will handle return duties.

Defense:
1) Tarpinian and Tuggle don't make the cut. Cliett is listed as a LB, making a total of 5 for the inside position;
2) We go with 4 CB's with Darryl Morris and Charles James not making the cut;
3) Add Kurtis Drummond into the mix at safety.
This makes a total of 26 for the defense, and I'd like to keep Jumal Rolle but can't find a spot. It may come down to deciding between Stevie Brown and Rolle.

Brett Kollmann|BRB

Offense

Defense

You have a good list but you're forgetting 3 important players that are included on the 53 man roster, Kicker, Punter, and Long Snapper! Plus, I think dalemurphy is right, there's no way we only go with 7 O-linemen. It's going to be tough cutting some of these guys this year.

I think Brett's got it right! Going for it on every 4th down, and 2pt conversions after every TD! An anonymous source informed me that JJ Watt has been secretly practicing kickoffs up in his Wisconsin Cabin of Solitude!

I think Brett's got it right! Going for it on every 4th down, and 2pt conversions after every TD! An anonymous source informed me that JJ Watt has been secretly practicing kickoffs up in his Wisconsin Cabin of Solitude!
My sources tell me Watt is hoping Blue Bell get back in outlets soon as his mother wants to do another commercial.

SOTT: TEXANS "REAL" EARLY BIRD 53-MAN ROSTER

The offseason is in full swing and the Houston Texans are off until late July. With rookie mini-camp, OTAs, and mandatory mini camp in the books, we decided to give a very loose prediction on the potential 53-man roster for the Texans.

Early 53-Man Prediction

(Games Started/Games)

Quarterbacks (3)

Ryan Mallett (2/7), Brian Hoyer (17/32), Tom Savage (2/0)

The starting quarterback is still to be decided out of this group but this should be the personnel heading to week one, barring injury. Despite a revamped quarterback room, there are only 19 combined starts from the potential starters.

Running Backs (4)

Arian Foster (64/72), Alfred Blue (3/16), Jonathan Grimes (3/29), Jay Prosch (5/16)

This group will be set with the exception of the third back behind Foster and Blue. Chris Polk and Kenny Hilliard will push Grimes for that spot, but at the moment, Grimes holds the spot with his experience and ability to play special teams.

Wide Receiver (6)

DeAndre Hopkins (32/32), Nate Washington (94/145), Cecil Shorts III (34/50), Keshawn Martin (2/48), Jaelen Strong (R), Keith Mumphery (R)

The top three will be the main targets heading into the season but the wild card is Keshawn Martin. The reasons are simple: his ability to return kicks and punts, along with the ability to play inside and outside wide receiver, give the Texans an insurance policy for the two rookies Mumphery and Strong. Martin’s versatility keeps him in the discussion for the time being.

Tight Ends (3)

Garrett Graham (29/52), C.J. Fiedorowicz (8/15), Ryan Griffin (10/31)

The same group returns and the needle points up for the position group after a disappointing 2014 season. The reason why is because the current group of quarterbacks have grown to understand that this position is vital for this offense.

Offensive Tackle (3)

Duane Brown (106/106), Derek Newton (46/60), Jeff Adams (0/2)

Once unclear about how Newton would pan out, the Texans appear to have developed one of the strongest starting groups of tackles in the NFL. Adams is a young swing tackle who will get plenty of work during camp and preseason to get him ready for the season.

Offensive Guard (4)

Xavier Su’a-Filo (1/13), Brandon Brooks (30/36), Cody White (0/1), Will Yeatman (2/15)

Su’a-Filo gets to prove why he was a high pick in 2014, while it is a contract year for Brooks in 2015. White gives versatility to play both guard and center while Yeatman gives that for the guard and tackle spots. Both White and Yeatman will have to show up during camp and preseason to prevent the Texans from looking for upgrades.

Center (1)

Ben Jones (27/48)

A big season for the fourth year player, Jones returns to his college position. Giving the Texans more weight at the position than previous seasons, Jones is the key for the offensive line in 2015.

Defensive End (4)

J.J. Watt (64/64), Jared Crick (16/47), Christian Covington (R), Jeoffrey Pagan (0/16)

A strength of the team when added to the nose tackles, the defense has a group of ends which can play the two gapping system of Romeo Crennel’s 3-4 defense. Then are able to create pass rushing looks with Watt and Crick. Covington appears to be the wild card at the position, so look for him to move up and down the line.

Nose Tackle (2)

Vince Wilfork (148/158), Louis Nix (0/0)

Wilfork is a solid upgrade at the position and can do much more than just be a base defensive nose tackle. Nix will get some run on defense, which is important for the future of the position.

Outside Linebacker (4)

Whitney Mercilus (33/47), John Simon (0/18), Jadeveon Clowney (2/4), Lynden Trail (R)

This will be an interesting storyline to watch as training camp progresses. With the exception of Mercilus, the experience at outside linebacker is light on the field. The Texans will slowly bring along Clowney, while Simon will have to make a big jump this season as the penciled in starter. Trail will give the defense the length and speed it needs at this position, but his spots will be selected carefully.

Inside Linebacker (5)

Brian Cushing (70/70), Mike Mohamed (2/25), Akeem Dent (27/62), Benardrick McKinney(R), Reshard Cliett (R)

The position group received a youth infusion over the offseason with McKinney and Cliett. Expect the inside linebackers to have a three- to four-player rotation depending the offensive personnel they face. Cushing coming back healthy is a solid plus for the linebackers and defense.

Cornerback (6)

Johnathan Joseph (118/127), Kareem Jackson (71/74), Kevin Johnson (R), A.J. Bouye (6/20), Darryl Morris (1/24), Jumal Rolle (0/10)

Cornerback could easily be the strongest group on the team and, with the Texans valuing the position so highly, it has never had better personnel. There are potentially five players on the depth chart who could start on other NFL teams, which is a testament to the talent the team has found.

Safety (5)

Rahim Moore (48/57), Stevie Brown (20/55), Andre Hal (0/14), Lonnie Ballentine (0/0), Eddie Pleasant (1/32)

Moore and Brown headline the group while Hal is the sleeper who finds himself on the field if everything goes right for him during training camp. Pleasant stays on as one of the Texans top special teams players.

Specialty (3)

Shane Lechler (238), Randy Bullock (32), Jon Weeks (80)

This is a solid group who will continue for their third year together. Bullock made a strong jump last year, becoming one of the most accurate long distance kickers in the game.

On the Bubble

- Chris Polk- Potential return candidate, Texans showed last season they will take five running backs if needed. Polk will be in a battle with Martin for the return duties when camp arrives.

Justin Tuggle- Special teams ace who made the position change to inside linebacker last season. Tuggle will have to leap frog others to get back on the 53-man roster and he will have to show he can handle inside linebacker duties. Practice squad eligible.

- Chad Slade (R)- Don’t forget the name of the Auburn rookie offensive guard. The NFL is running short on offensive lineman and, with Slade’s background at Auburn and plenty of games played, his value could be too much to pass up for a young and developing player. Practice squad eligible.

- Anthony Denham- The second-year tight end is going to have to beat out Garrett Graham or show he can help on special teams. The talent it there but the roster spots are at a premium. Practice squad eligible.

- Jason Ankrah- Big and strong edge-setting edge player. Pass rushing is what the Texans need because the defense is playing more out of their nickel and dime sets than their base set. Practice squad eligible.

- Kenny Hilliard (R)- Will have to show he can handle the football and be the first and second down back that Bill O’Brien called him coming out of LSU. Will have to win his job by showing he can handle special teams. Practice squad eligible.

- Max Bullough- The jump is evident for this year, but the inside linebacker group is a packed house. It will be a dog-fight for some of the final spots at the position. Practice squad eligible.

Offensive Guard
(4)

Xavier Su’a-Filo (1/13), Brandon Brooks (30/36), Cody White (0/1), Will Yeatman (2/15)

Su’a-Filo gets to prove why he was a high pick in 2014, while it is a contract year for Brooks in 2015. White gives versatility to play both guard and center while Yeatman gives that for the guard and tackle spots. Both White and Yeatman will have to show up during camp and preseason to prevent the Texans from looking for upgrades.

Center (1)

Ben Jones (27/48)

A big season for the fourth year player, Jones returns to his college position. Giving the Texans more weight at the position than previous seasons, Jones is the key for the offensive line in 2015.
This is why I worry about our line. :(

The offseason is in full swing and the Houston Texans are off until late July. With rookie mini-camp, OTAs, and mandatory mini camp in the books, we decided to give a very loose prediction on the potential 53-man roster for the Texans.

Early 53-Man Prediction

(Games Started/Games)

Quarterbacks (3)

The starting quarterback is still to be decided out of this group but this should be the personnel heading to week one, barring injury. Despite a revamped quarterback room, there are only 19 combined starts from the potential starters.

Running Backs (4)

Arian Foster (64/72), Alfred Blue (3/16), Jonathan Grimes (3/29), Jay Prosch (5/16)

This group will be set with the exception of the third back behind Foster and Blue. Chris Polk and Kenny Hilliard will push Grimes for that spot, but at the moment, Grimes holds the spot with his experience and ability to play special teams.

Wide Receiver (6)

DeAndre Hopkins (32/32), Nate Washington (94/145), Cecil Shorts III (34/50), Keshawn Martin (2/48), Jaelen Strong (R), Keith Mumphery (R)

The top three will be the main targets heading into the season but the wild card is Keshawn Martin. The reasons are simple: his ability to return kicks and punts, along with the ability to play inside and outside wide receiver, give the Texans an insurance policy for the two rookies Mumphery and Strong. Martin’s versatility keeps him in the discussion for the time being.

Tight Ends (3)

The same group returns and the needle points up for the position group after a disappointing 2014 season. The reason why is because the current group of quarterbacks have grown to understand that this position is vital for this offense.

Offensive Tackle (3)

Once unclear about how Newton would pan out, the Texans appear to have developed one of the strongest starting groups of tackles in the NFL. Adams is a young swing tackle who will get plenty of work during camp and preseason to get him ready for the season.

Offensive Guard (4)

Center (1)

Ben Jones (27/48)

Defensive End (4)

J.J. Watt (64/64), Jared Crick (16/47), Christian Covington (R), Jeoffrey Pagan (0/16)

A strength of the team when added to the nose tackles, the defense has a group of ends which can play the two gapping system of Romeo Crennel’s 3-4 defense. Then are able to create pass rushing looks with Watt and Crick. Covington appears to be the wild card at the position, so look for him to move up and down the line.

Nose Tackle (2)

Wilfork is a solid upgrade at the position and can do much more than just be a base defensive nose tackle. Nix will get some run on defense, which is important for the future of the position.

Outside Linebacker (4)

Whitney Mercilus (33/47), John Simon (0/18), Jadeveon Clowney (2/4), Lynden Trail (R)

This will be an interesting storyline to watch as training camp progresses. With the exception of Mercilus, the experience at outside linebacker is light on the field. The Texans will slowly bring along Clowney, while Simon will have to make a big jump this season as the penciled in starter. Trail will give the defense the length and speed it needs at this position, but his spots will be selected carefully.

Inside Linebacker (5)

Brian Cushing (70/70), Mike Mohamed (2/25), Akeem Dent (27/62), Benardrick McKinney(R), Reshard Cliett (R)

The position group received a youth infusion over the offseason with McKinney and Cliett. Expect the inside linebackers to have a three- to four-player rotation depending the offensive personnel they face. Cushing coming back healthy is a solid plus for the linebackers and defense.

Cornerback (6)

Johnathan Joseph (118/127), Kareem Jackson (71/74), Kevin Johnson (R), A.J. Bouye (6/20), Darryl Morris (1/24), Jumal Rolle (0/10)

Cornerback could easily be the strongest group on the team and, with the Texans valuing the position so highly, it has never had better personnel. There are potentially five players on the depth chart who could start on other NFL teams, which is a testament to the talent the team has found.

Safety (5)

Rahim Moore (48/57), Stevie Brown (20/55), Andre Hal (0/14), Lonnie Ballentine (0/0), Eddie Pleasant (1/32)

Moore and Brown headline the group while Hal is the sleeper who finds himself on the field if everything goes right for him during training camp. Pleasant stays on as one of the Texans top special teams players.

Specialty (3)

This is a solid group who will continue for their third year together. Bullock made a strong jump last year, becoming one of the most accurate long distance kickers in the game.

On the Bubble

- Chris Polk- Potential return candidate, Texans showed last season they will take five running backs if needed. Polk will be in a battle with Martin for the return duties when camp arrives.

Justin Tuggle- Special teams ace who made the position change to inside linebacker last season. Tuggle will have to leap frog others to get back on the 53-man roster and he will have to show he can handle inside linebacker duties. Practice squad eligible.

- Chad Slade (R)- Don’t forget the name of the Auburn rookie offensive guard. The NFL is running short on offensive lineman and, with Slade’s background at Auburn and plenty of games played, his value could be too much to pass up for a young and developing player. Practice squad eligible.

- Anthony Denham- The second-year tight end is going to have to beat out Garrett Graham or show he can help on special teams. The talent it there but the roster spots are at a premium. Practice squad eligible.

- Jason Ankrah- Big and strong edge-setting edge player. Pass rushing is what the Texans need because the defense is playing more out of their nickel and dime sets than their base set. Practice squad eligible.

- Kenny Hilliard (R)- Will have to show he can handle the football and be the first and second down back that Bill O’Brien called him coming out of LSU. Will have to win his job by showing he can handle special teams. Practice squad eligible.

- Max Bullough- The jump is evident for this year, but the inside linebacker group is a packed house. It will be a dog-fight for some of the final spots at the position. Practice squad eligible.

My roster projections that differ are.

1.Polk makes it as the KR/PR and is Foster's primary backup. Blue moves back a a spot on the depth chart. Grimes is cut opening up a roster spot.

2. Slade over White.

3. Cliett is moved to OLB and has ability to play Saftey so the Texans carry 4 Safeties and add an ILB like Tuggle or Bullough.

4. With the extra roster spot (Grimes) I can see Denham or a WR with speed like EZ or Worthy making the team. A sleeper pick for this spot is an extra OL (Q or Witzmann)

This is why I worry about our line. :(

Me too, I think they are counting on improvement from Adams/Witzmann or Quiz making it back. Very risky since a couple of injuries could doom the season. But you cant fill all of the holes in one offseason and this is where Rick/BOB decided to make their gamble on staying healthy.

Not the way I would have gambled, hope everything works out injury wise.

Houston Texans 53-man roster projection
Tania Ganguli

The Houston Texans open training camp on July 31 at Methodist Training Center in Houston. Here’s a 53-man roster projection:

Quarterbacks (3): Ryan Mallett, Brian Hoyer, Tom Savage

Running backs (4): Arian Foster, Alfred Blue, Jonathan Grimes, Kenny Hilliard

Fullbacks (1): Jay Prosch

Wide receivers (5): DeAndre Hopkins, Nate Washington, Cecil Shorts, Jaelen Strong, Keith Mumphery

Tight Ends (3): Garrett Graham, C.J. Fiedorowicz, Ryan Griffin

Offensive linemen (8): Duane Brown, Brandon Brooks, Ben Jones, Xavier Su'a-Filo, Derek Newton, David Quessenberry, Cody White, Will Yeatman

Defensive tackles (3): Vince Wilfork, Louis Nix III, Christian Covington

Defensive ends (3): J.J. Watt, Jared Crick, Jeoffrey Pagan

Outside linebackers (4): Jadeveon Clowney, Whitney Mercilus, John Simon, Jason Ankrah

Inside linebackers (4): Brian Cushing, Benardrick McKinney, Mike Mohamed, Max Bullough

Cornerbacks (6): Johnathan Joseph, Kareem Jackson, A.J. Bouye, Kevin Johnson, Darryl Morris, Jumal Rolle

Safeties (5): Rahim Moore, Stevie Brown, Lonnie Ballentine, Andre Hal, Eddie Pleasant

Specialists (3): P Shane Lechler, K Randy Bullock, LS Jonathan Weeks​

Early 53-Man Prediction

(Games Started/Games)

Quarterbacks (3)

Running Backs (4)

Wide Receiver (6)

Tight Ends (3)

Offensive Tackle (3)

Offensive Guard (4)

Center (1)

Ben Jones (27/48)

Defensive End (4)

Nose Tackle (2)

Outside Linebacker (4)

Inside Linebacker (5)

Cornerback (6)

Safety (5)

Specialty (3)

On the Bubble

The one thing which jumped out at me is this list has only 8 offensive linemen for the 5 positions. I think we carry 9 minimum. Yeatman will be carried as a tackle and the ninth player will be Greg Mancz, carried as a C but who also plays G.

The other thing which I noticed is this list carries 11 DB's. There's room here to cut a player if we need another one elsewhere such as OLine.

The starting 22 is pretty much set and the camp battle will be for the other positions. We have a lot of young talent and some will win a spot on the 53 and many will make the practice squad, but the quality of these players are building a solid foundation for the team.

Jayson Braddock ‏@JaysonBraddock
Texans place David Quessenberry on Non-Football Illness list & Alan Bonner on Non-Football injury list to start camp.

Texans place Jadeveon Clowney & Akeem Dent on Active / PUP list​
Interesting. None of these players may get off their respective lists by the beginning of the season. Only time will tell. But................

Q-may not be able to return to form or may have had 2nd thoughts re. risks to his immune system.

Bonner-may be still dealing with his chronic foot and hamstring problems.

Clowney-may have had an overhyped "spectacular" recovery presented by his surgeon.

Dent-may have aggravated his ankle once again..........the ankle that original recommendations were made to be addressed by surgery........but never happened.....and then, again, maybe it has happened now in the interim.....

Last edited:
Dent showed up to OTAs in a walking boot. No details on the injury.

If it's on his right foot, it's the same foot he wore a boot on in 2013 to rehab his high ankle sprain trying to avoid surgery....................this time, if he finally got smart, it's probably a post surgical boot.

Bonner in his two healthy practice snaps must have flashed greatest slot ever or they would have cut his ass long ago.

Just a side commentary re. Q. The very end of February of this month, it was announced that Q was in remission. However, for the condition that he is fighting, he will be undergoing a lower dose of chemotherapy over the 30 months following remission in order to attempt to prevent recurrence. This lower dose treatment protocol involved still lends Q to a significant risk of lowered immunity and risk of increased bleeding. This is not to even mention that such a protocol is bound to lead to quicker fatigue, which in itself would place him at increased risk for injury. As a football player, trauma to the body is an expected. What may even be considered a minor trauma to a "normal" player could potentially turn into a devastating event for a chemo maintenance patient. This is why I am hoping that this is more a Texans attempt on-the-surface to allow Q to live out at least part of his dream short of live bullet play. If he remains in remission and is able to attain and maintain a football-ready in-shape body and still has the desire to return in September of 2017 (after the completion of his chemo course), and there is a market for a 27-year-old OG/OT, then I would not have a problem with it.

Last edited:
Just a side commentary re. Q. The very end of February of this month, it was announced that Q was in remission. However, for the condition that he is fighting, he will be undergoing a lower dose of chemotherapy over the 30 months following remission in order to attempt to prevent recurrence. This lower dose treatment protocol involved still lends Q to a significant risk of lowered immunity and risk of increased bleeding. This is not to even mention that such a protocol is bound to lead to quicker fatigue, which in itself would place him at increased risk for injury. As a football player, trauma to the body is an expected. What may even be considered a minor trauma to a "normal" player could potentially turn into a devastating event for a chemo maintenance patient. This is why I am hoping that this is more a Texans attempt on-the-surface to allow Q to live out at least part of his dream short of live bullet play. If he remains in remission and is able to attain and maintain a football-ready in-shape body and still has the desire to return in September of 2017 (after the completion of his chemo course), and there is a market for a 27-year-old OG/OT, then I would not have a problem with it.

Doc, I guess this is the question I have about "a football-ready in-shape body" for "Q." Isn't it harder for someone on chemo, even at a lower dose, to keep on weight, let alone muscle mass for NFL Football?

Doc, I guess this is the question I have about "a football-ready in-shape body" for "Q." Isn't it harder for someone on chemo, even at a lower dose, to keep on weight, let alone muscle mass for NFL Football?

It would depend on which chemotherapeutic(s) the patient is on..............some stimulate weight gain, others weight loss. Muscle mass though is usually decreased. At low dose, there is likelihood of this being much less affected.

To be honest some low dose chemos have been shown to stimulate some normal cells, while decreasing growth in cancerous cells. The problem lies in that at low dose, effect on potential cancerous cells is also low...........and there are always side effects that negatively affects one or more of a patient's organs (such as kidneys, liver, etc.), not only from long term low dose chemo, but many times as a lasting (sometimes permanent) effect of the previous high dose regimen.

It would depend on which chemotherapeutic(s) the patient is on..............some stimulate weight gain, others weight loss. Muscle mass though is usually decreased. At low dose, there is likelihood of this being much less affected.

To be honest some low dose chemos have been shown to stimulate some normal cells, while decreasing growth in cancerous cells. The problem lies in that at low dose, effect on potential cancerous cells is also low...........and there are always side effects that negatively affects one or more of a patient's organs (such as kidneys, liver, etc.), not only from long term low dose chemo, but many times as a lasting (sometimes permanent) effect of the previous high dose regimen.
Reminding you all that Roddy McDowall really was. ... I have a hypothesis. I think most if not all of us get neoplastic cells from time to time, but our immune system is able to eliminate them before they become detectable. That would explain why surgeons always say they think they got all of an operable tumor, but it always comes back, sometimes in another place. The patient's immune system has lost its ability to put down that type of cancer. It would also explain why you can't transplant human tumor.
I don't think Q should come back. It's just too risky. Let him live longer and find his Xanadu in coaching.

PDS ‏@PatDStat
Alan Bonner is going to have to put together the training camp of his life. All the potential, but injury bug has been his issue. #Texans

Will Yeatman was interesting throughout all of the off-season. Was not out at majority of the practices (OTAs/Mini-Camps). No real reason.

Chris Neild spend time with the Washington Redskins from 2011-2014. 6-2 and 328 lbs. nose tackle. Played at West Virgina. #Texans

Alan Bonner has passed his physical and is now on the active roster. DT Chris Neild has been signed by the #Texans.

The #Texans have released OT Will Yeatman.​

PDS ‏@PatDStat

Chris Neild spend time with the Washington Redskins from 2011-2014. 6-2 and 328 lbs. nose tackle. Played at West Virgina. #Texans

Neild was drafted in 2011. He missed the entire 2012 campaign due to surgery for a torn right ACL he suffered in training camp. He returned in 2013 but sustained a calf injury and sat out Weeks 5-11, then played very limited backup in the final games. Then comes 2014, and he required surgery to repair a torn left AC in the last preseason game.

He played ~30 pounds lighter in college. I know that many players' bodies can take that type of NFL weight gain with positive effects...........makes me wonder if he's one that can't.

The #Texans have released OT Will Yeatman.
That leaves Aaron Adams, Jeff Adams, Matt Feiler, Kendall Lamm, Joseph Treadwell, Bryan Witzmann. The best of this lot is Jeff Adams, who was rated 17 out of 92 tackles in his draft class. Matt Feiler is short armed and had good production in college. He was rated as a 7th/PFA, but is better suited for OG. Rookie Kendall Lamm was rated 24/88 and has a decent write-up for a projected 7th/PFA. I couldn't find anything on the others.

Last edited:
I have 20 jellybeans saying Texans pick up a FA Olineman before regular season. Some team has to cut someone (excluding Myers) and then Smith swoops in and...

I have 20 jellybeans saying Texans pick up a FA Olineman before regular season. Some team has to cut someone (excluding Myers) and then Smith swoops in and...
Someone swap out your basil for weed or have you been hanging out with Mango's, I mean Thorn?

PDS ‏@PatDStat
Alan Bonner is going to have to put together the training camp of his life. All the potential, but injury bug has been his issue. #Texans

Will Yeatman was interesting throughout all of the off-season. Was not out at majority of the practices (OTAs/Mini-Camps). No real reason.

Alan Bonner has passed his physical and is now on the active roster. DT Chris Neild has been signed by the #Texans.

The #Texans have released OT Will Yeatman.​

I wonder if signing Chris Neild is O'Briens way of sending a message to Louis Nix, just a training camp body, or serious roster depth acquisition? Releasing Yeatman makes me worry even more that we've got zero depth on the O-line, one injury on the O-line and we're screwed. I'm hoping that we pick up some O-line depth when training camp cuts start being made

I wonder if signing Chris Neild is O'Briens way of sending a message to Louis Nix, just a training camp body, or serious roster depth acquisition? Releasing Yeatman makes me worry even more that we've got zero depth on the O-line, one injury on the O-line and we're screwed. I'm hoping that we pick up some O-line depth when training camp cuts start being made

We have depth, just not experienced depth. At OT, Jeff Adams came out of the 2012 draft class and spent that year on the Bengles and Dolphins PS. In 2013 he was on the Titans PS and was on the Texans' active roster in 2014. At OG, Cody White was signed by the Texans in 2012 and spent that year on our PS. In 2013 he was on our active roster. In 2014 he was IR'ed.

Behind these two "veterans", we have several promising rookies, particularly at OG with Chad Slade and OC with Greg Mancz.

At OT, recently signed Aaron Adams is an interesting project. He spent his rookie 2013 season on the Packers PS; and then, having a good 2014 pre-season, in the Packers fourth pre-season game tore his ACL and MCL. He was stashed on the IR list and was released by the Packers in April of this year. He was signed by the Texans July 25. Going into training camp, it's been 10 months since his surgery. If healthy, this may be a player to keep an eye on. For the Packers, he was playing both RT and LT and showed a mean streak.

So we have several promising young players. If we sign anyone, we need to sign experienced veterans with starting experience.

Last edited:
I remembering hearing some positive buzz in the past about Yeatman flashing behind Q before everyone got shelfed for injuries so I was kinda thinking he'd be a darkhorse this season when no OT was drafted. Now he's cut, so much for that idea.

Hopefully one of the Adams (Jeff or Aaron if healthy) can step up and fill the swing

I wonder if signing Chris Neild is O'Briens way of sending a message to Louis Nix, just a training camp body, or serious roster depth acquisition?
Camp body, a guy to take some reps off Vince. Fatty fat DTs get tired easily.

Camp body, a guy to take some reps off Vince. Fatty fat DTs get tired easily.
I suspect, like most players signed as FAs or in the lower rounds, we hope to find a gem without expecting to. Anyone who makes the final roster is a bonus and anyone who plays significant minutes or starts is a BIG bonus.

I suspect, like most players signed as FAs or in the lower rounds, we hope to find a gem without expecting to. Anyone who makes the final roster is a bonus and anyone who plays significant minutes or starts is a BIG bonus.
I think it's generally forgotten, because it's seldom mentioned, but Derek Newton was drafted in the 7th.

Back