Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Updated Roster (Post-Draft)

Clark has been a pretty solid reserve for Denver the last few years. Can play either tackle spot as well as OG. Wouldn't be shocked if he got a look at LG.

http://www.coloradoan.com/story/spo...is-clark-standing-firm-right-tackle/29007393/

Clark had started 17 games, including the Broncos' postseason run to the Super Bowl, in place of the injured Ryan Clady at left tackle in 2013. When Clady returned last year, the Broncos counted on Clark to make the switch to right tackle.

But after starting the first five games last year, Clark was benched for Paul Cornick, then Louis Vasquez, who was bumped outside from guard. There was even a three-game spell last season when Clark wasn't even given a uniform to serve as a backup tackle or special teamer.

"It was just an adjustment for me that took a little longer than I expected," Clark said of the move from left to right tackle. "I was expected to excel at that spot immediately, and it took some time. I had never really played on that side."

Given Clark's struggles at right tackle last year, it was surprising he stayed put after Clady suffered a season-ending torn ACL injury during the first day of OTAs last month. Instead, the Broncos switched Sambrailo from Clark's backup at right tackle over to No. 1 left tackle.

Anyone who isn't 300 pounds and athletic — which conservatively accounts for 99.8 percent of the general population — might be surprised at the drastic difference between playing left tackle and right tackle. Most people think: Block the guy in front of you. How difficult can the adjustment be?

For Clark, a left tackle in high school, college and first six seasons in the NFL, right tackle was like asking a natural left-handed hitter to switch-hit and bat righty.

"It's a switch of the hips," Clark said. "On the left side your dominant side is your right arm and right leg. On the right side your dominant side is your left leg and left arm. I wasn't used to using those limbs as often. If you asked Ryan Clady to be a right tackle, he would not be the same. It's one of those things where you have to play it to know. Any tackle in the league would agree with what I'm saying. It's not a cakewalk at all."

The zone-blocking system favored by Broncos' first-year head coach Gary Kubiak and offensive coordinator Rick Dennison will help. One reason why Clark grew up playing on the "blind side" is left tackles tend to be longer and nimbler to handle the opponents' premier pass rushers. Right tackle is usually given to the more brutish-type blockers.

The zone system, though, wants all linemen — left, right and center — to have quick feet and possess the athleticism to get out to the second level and throw a cut block on a linebacker or safety.

To keep his starting job, Clark will have to fend off challenges from Ryan Harris and Michael Schofield during training camp and the preseason. But Clark is the favorite to start regular-season game 1 against the Baltimore Ravens on Sept. 13.

"I'm feeling really good, I'm ready to go," Clark said. "I don't worry about having something to prove to anybody, but I'm ready to prove myself that I know I can play this game at right tackle."

What is negative in there other than he's a yeoman backup?

I wouldn't exactly consider this a ringing endorsement:

Clark, who graded out as Denver's worst lineman overall and in run blocking last season, lost his starting job to Paul Cornick, who then lost the position to Louis Vasquez.

Missed the grading line.
Same thing discussed in the prior posted article... lifelong on left side, they wanted him to play on right side and he didn't get up to speed there. Some guys are pretty much one-sided players. IMO, was dumb not to move him back to LT after Clady went down. In 2013 at LT he was 22nd/76... in 2014 at RT he was 52nd/85.

#91 LB Jason Ankrah
#69 NT Chris Neild
#2 WR Jace Davis
#98 DE Cameron McLeod​
John McClain @McClain_on_NFL
Texans cut Labhart, Witzmann , White, Bonner, A Adams, Ankrah, Neild, Davis, McLeod. Cliett to IR. Five more to go.

#19 WR Travis Labhart
#68 OL Bryan Witzmann
#67 OL Cody White
#16 WR Alan Bonner
#74 OL Aaron Adams
#91 LB Jason Ankrah
#69 NT Chris Neild
#2 WR Jace Davis
#98 DE Cameron McLeod

Who was that 3rd string bozo at center who couldn't remember the damned snap count yesterday?
Is he still around??

I honestly keep getting Mancz and Ferentz confused, neither stand out in a good way to me and I keep seeing both make bad plays. I really hope a good backup center becomes available via cuts.

Only one I'm suprised about is Ankrah I thought he'd make it past the first cuts and I personally had him pushing for a LB depth spot if the team went conservative with extra LBs

I wouldn't exactly consider this a ringing endorsement:
The reason is the transition to the right side. This makes me think a try at LG this week is the purpose of the pickup. He's probably more prepared to step into that role than swinging in Kubiak's system. We've essentially swapped DBs with the Giants because of fit problems. Even if he doesn't work out there, I'm glad we are actively working to shore up areas of weakness.

The reason is the transition to the right side. This makes me think a try at LG this week is the purpose of the pickup. He's probably more prepared to step into that role than swinging in Kubiak's system. We've essentially swapped DBs with the Giants because of fit problems. Even if he doesn't work out there, I'm glad we are actively working to shore up areas of weakness.

I may be wrong, but at this late point in time, with as up in the air our OL composition is........and with 1 preseason game left in which no starter will probably be playing.........we can be expected to go into the season still experimenting and still be trying to figure out our head from our butt.

I may be wrong, but at this late point in time, with as up in the air our OL composition is........and with 1 preseason game left in which no starter will probably be playing.........we can be expected to go into the season still experimenting and still be trying to figure out our head from our butt.
But the fact that it's still pre season and not something that waited for the Bye week to address is a positive. It's obvious the first two shots didn't go well, 1. hope Xman was ready to start, 2. Hope that Ben could slide over and Ferentz/Mancz would be fine at C. Now we're trying a guy with moderate success at LT to move over to LG. At some point, I hope we find an adequate combination.

John McClain @McClain_on_NFL
Texans cut Labhart, Witzmann , White, Bonner, A Adams, Ankrah, Neild, Davis, McLeod. Cliett to IR. Five more to go.

#19 WR Travis Labhart
#68 OL Bryan Witzmann
#67 OL Cody White
#16 WR Alan Bonner
#74 OL Aaron Adams
#91 LB Jason Ankrah
#69 NT Chris Neild
#2 WR Jace Davis
#98 DE Cameron McLeod
John McClain@McClain_on_NFL
Texans waive Jeff Tarpinian, Will Johnson. Quessenberry to non football illness list. Waived injured Terrence Parks, Anthony Denham.​

#27 DB Terrence Parks
#81 TE Anthony Denham
#52 LB Jeff Tarpinian
#8 P/K Will Johnson
#19 WR Travis Labhart
#68 OL Bryan Witzmann
#67 OL Cody White
#16 WR Alan Bonner
#74 OL Aaron Adams
#91 LB Jason Ankrah
#69 NT Chris Neild
#2 WR Jace Davis
#98 DE Cameron McLeod

John McClain@McClain_on_NFL
Texans waive Jeff Tarpinian, Will Johnson. Quessenberry to non football illness list. Waived injured Terrence Parks, Anthony Denham.

Guess that takes care of reports suggesting would play again Dallas........so soon (too soon) after his mild :chef:AC joint sprain.

Still leaves nine wide receivers.
Hopkins
Shorts
Washington
Strong
EZ Nwachukwu
Johnson
Mumphrey
Martin
Worthy

Anybody already got a list of who the locks are, probably going to make it, bubble and probably gets cut. It sounds like 32 on the last two lists and 43 on the first two with overabundance at one position the only reason to reach into the second group. I started working on my own list and only came up with 19 locks putting a lot of players in the second group.

Brown, Bullock, Clowney, Cushing, Hopkins, Hoyer, Jackson, Johnson-Kevin, Jones, Joseph, Lechler, Mallett, McKinney, Newton, Savage, Watt, Weeks, Wilfork, Foster.

I'm sure there are others who deserve to be there, but they didn't seem like locks at first glance.

Last edited:
Anybody already got a list of who the locks are, probably going to make it, bubble and probably gets cut. It sounds like 32 on the last two lists and 43 on the first two with overabundance at one position the only reason to reach into the second group. I started working on my own list and only came up with 19 locks putting a lot of players in the second group.

Brown, Bullock, Clowney, Cushing, Hopkins, Hoyer, Jackson, Johnson-Kevin, Jones, Joseph, Lechler, Mallett, McKinney, Newton, Savage, Watt, Weeks, Wilfork, Foster.

I'm sure there are others who deserve to be there, but they didn't seem like locks at first glance.

I would say these players are locks: Hoyer, Mallett, Savage, Foster, Blue, Prosh, Hopkins, Washington, Shorts, Mumphery, Graham, Fiedorowicz, Brown, Newton, Clark, Brooks, Jones, Watt, Crick, Wilfork, Covington, Clowney, Cushing, Mohammad, Joseph, Jackson, Johnson, Moore, Bullock, Lechler, Weeks. That's 31 players. Now the players I would imagine are safe but wouldn't say they're a lock: Strong, Su'a Filo, Pagan, Mercilus, Simon, McKinney, Hal, Pleasant. That gets the number to 39.

Now for the life of me I can't figure out which RB's we should keep. None of them have impressed me. Probably should just pick two names out of a hat between Grimes, Hilliard & Polk. I could see them bringing in another RB to start the season.

I would say these players are locks: Hoyer, Mallett, Savage, Foster, Blue, Prosh, Hopkins, Washington, Shorts, Mumphery, Graham, Fiedorowicz, Brown, Newton, Clark, Brooks, Jones, Watt, Crick, Wilfork, Covington, Clowney, Cushing, Mohammad, Joseph, Jackson, Johnson, Moore, Bullock, Lechler, Weeks. That's 31 players. Now the players I would imagine are safe but wouldn't say they're a lock: Strong, Su'a Filo, Pagan, Mercilus, Simon, McKinney, Hal, Pleasant. That gets the number to 39.

Now for the life of me I can't figure out which RB's we should keep. None of them have impressed me. Probably should just pick two names out of a hat between Grimes, Hilliard & Polk. I could see them bringing in another RB to start the season.
Just highlighting additions and underlining subtractions.

I am as much if not more interested in other teams cuts. I could see a RB, OG, OC, ILB & OLB being brought in.

Back