Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans Search Committee

Texian

Hall of Fame
I don't know about that. I think standing in the middle of a lighting storm with a bottle has better survival odds than being a blind squirrel. Especially where I live with all the stray cats.
I'm going with a sure thing here, that broken clock that is right twice a day.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
That's an agenda driven take.

Not necessarily your agenda. But for some reason that's what people want us to believe.

But like Earl34 said, if Rick had a habit of forcing players on BO'b, we wouldn't have traded draft picks to unload Osweiler. BO'b would have had to be an adult & coach him another year.
When you say people, I'm guessing you mean Bill O'Brien because that's what he said happened. I guess it comes down to whether you believe him or not.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
When you say people, I'm guessing you mean Bill O'Brien because that's what he said happened. I guess it comes down to whether you believe him or not.
I posted quote after quote of O’Brien saying he was involved in selecting Oz.

But you’re going to tell me he said otherwise. I’ll ask you for proof, but we know how that goes.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
He said he was involved in choosing Osweiler & bringing him to Houston. I’ve quoted & provided links.

I don’t know what reference he said the things you speak of, or the context in which he said it.

but whatever it is, does not change the things he said in regards to selecting & bringing Osweiler here.

Texian

Hall of Fame
He said he was involved in choosing Osweiler & bringing him to Houston. I’ve quoted & provided links.

I don’t know what reference he said the things you speak of, or the context in which he said it.
ut whatever it is, does not change the things he said in regards to selecting & bringing Osweiler here.
Yes O'Brien got onboard with Osweiler after the deal was done. No doubt about it. Afterwards O'Brien was a team player doing his very best political correctness dance. AKA Towing the line. Up to that point O'Brien had little involvement with Osweiler. This was McNair's doing so you can't expect O'Brien to bash or speak negatively after they the just gave Osweiller a huge payday. Bob McNair told Rick Smith to get it done, much like he did with the Ed Reed deal. In the Ed Reed case, Wade Phillips was not consulted either.

Last edited:

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Yes O'Brien got onboard with Osweiler after the deal was not done. No doubt about it. Afterwards O'Brien was a team player doing his very best political correctness dance. AKA Towing the line.
No, O’Brien says he was involved in the evaluation, the selection, & the decision. If he were towing the line he didn’t have to place himself in the decision.

After meeting Oz, he turned on him, understandably. But before hand, he was very involved.

Texian

Hall of Fame
No, O’Brien says he was involved in the evaluation, the selection, & the decision. If he were towing the line he didn’t have to place himself in the decision.

After meeting Oz, he turned on him, understandably. But before hand, he was very involved.
We've a difference of opinion. No sense continuing our discussion, it solves nothing.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
No interpretation. His words as recorded by whatever reporter quoted him. The only reports supporting the alternate view is a guy who starts every supposition with, "What if..."
You're focusing on words and ignoring the situation. Context?

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
You're focusing on words and ignoring the situation. Context?
Yes, I'm focusing on what he said, not what conspiracy theorists are trying to manufacture.

Should be easy enough to find a quote from McClain if BO'b wasn't involved in the Osweiler decision. But he says it was a mistake by all the decision makers stemming from never meeting with Osweiler before giving him all that money.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
But he says it was a mistake by all the decision makers stemming from never meeting with Osweiler before giving him all that money.
How would that have changed anything? Would Osweiler have come into the meeting drunk and belligerent? O'Brien and Smith looked at tape, went over their options, and gave Brock a big chunk of the McNair's $$$. That simple and it should have gotten both of them fired after the season.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
How would that have changed anything? Would Osweiler have come into the meeting drunk and belligerent? O'Brien and Smith looked at tape, went over their options, and gave Brock a big chunk of the McNair's $$$. That simple and it should have gotten both of them fired after the season.
I think from his scouting reports there were character concern issues. People didn't like him. He came off as a jerk or something.

If O'Brien was to show him something about his offense & asked Oz to repeat it back Oz would have probably been like, "it would be better if we did blah, blah, blah... " then BO'b might have been able to determine then he can't work with him.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
I think from his scouting reports there were character concern issues. People didn't like him. He came off as a jerk or something.
Elway was trying to re-sign Osweiler. But, didn't have the cap space. They had Brock in the building for 4 years without a problem. Osweiler may have come off as a jerk, but O'Brien was a jerk. And, a piss poor QB coach and evaluator.

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
You trying to interpret OB's thought process? :crazy:
BOB was a company man until it looked like he was going to be fired then he came out and said I coach who the GM gives me. What he should've said I've seen RS throw Kubiak under the bus to save his incompetent azz and I'm not letting him play act 2 with my career.

Texian

Hall of Fame
My opinion was stated clearly in his words.
I know your opinion because I read it. All of the links you posted were AFTER the Texans signed Osweiler. Like I said O'Brien was onboard AFTER, you get no argument from me about O'Brien's comments and behavior after Osweiler was a Texan. Where we differ is BEFORE Osweiler was a Texan. It was Bob McNair that was doing a mea culpa less than year AFTER signing Osweiler.

Last edited:
Reactions: JB

Earl34

Hall of Fame
This is pretty much what McNair said. (They didn't do their homework)
Isn't not doing their homework a little misleading? I thought the only reason they didn't meet with Osweiler was due to the NFL's tampering rules during free agency.

Edit:
Still, as O’Brien explained it during a visit this week to PFT Live, he had plenty to do with the decision to land Osweiler.

“The one thing that stood out to me on tape when I watched him is you know most of the games, all of the games that he played in were meaningful games,” O’Brien said. “These guys were in a playoff hunt and he was in some tough ball games. I use the example of the New England game. He was being pressured quite a bit and he was taking some really good hits, but he was delivering the football and I thought that said a lot about his toughness, his ability to keep his eyes downfield and under pressure deliver the football. It wasn’t always complete but I thought he did a nice job in that game. So I think that’s one of the things we’re all looking forward to is working with that type of guy that’s a tough guy, a good leader, a good teammate. That’s what we’re looking forward to.”

Lack of O'Brien-Osweiler meeting a hallmark of modern NFL free agency - ProFootballTalk (nbcsports.com)

justmy2cents

All Pro
Contributor's Club
Isn't not doing their homework a little misleading? I thought the only reason they didn't meet with Osweiler was due to the NFL's tampering rules during free agency.

Edit:
Still, as O’Brien explained it during a visit this week to PFT Live, he had plenty to do with the decision to land Osweiler.

“The one thing that stood out to me on tape when I watched him is you know most of the games, all of the games that he played in were meaningful games,” O’Brien said. “These guys were in a playoff hunt and he was in some tough ball games. I use the example of the New England game. He was being pressured quite a bit and he was taking some really good hits, but he was delivering the football and I thought that said a lot about his toughness, his ability to keep his eyes downfield and under pressure deliver the football. It wasn’t always complete but I thought he did a nice job in that game. So I think that’s one of the things we’re all looking forward to is working with that type of guy that’s a tough guy, a good leader, a good teammate. That’s what we’re looking forward to.”

Lack of O'Brien-Osweiler meeting a hallmark of modern NFL free agency - ProFootballTalk (nbcsports.com)

UUHHH !! What a bucket of codswhollup !! That was when O'Brien still believed he could explain away all his inadequacies ! Bad Memories !

Texian

Hall of Fame

Edit:

Again these are comments that were made after the Texans had already signed Osweiler. You must give PFT a lot more credibility than I do. I think they're a bunch of lunatics. One other thing of major importance, the Texans had just signed Osweiler, what do you really expect them to say after signing him to an enormous contract. I'd expect them to say he's the next best thing since sliced bread and find a few reasons why they can say that. It's called SPIN.

amazing80

Hall of Fame
Again these are comments that were made after the Texans had already signed Osweiler. You must give PFT a lot more credibility than I do. I think they're a bunch of lunatics. One other thing of major importance, the Texans had just signed Osweiler, what do you really expect them to say after signing him to an enormous contract. I'd expect them to say he's the next best thing since sliced bread and find a few reasons why they can say that. It's called SPIN.
Of course there are no comments before they signed him as they kept it in house and quiet. What a ridiculous argument to make. OB couldn’t be making it more clear that he was on board with the OS signing, you are just drumming up garbage, per usual.

No worries, I am sure you will vanish in the middle of the night again very soon. That’s your MO

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Where we differ is BEFORE Osweiler was a Texan. It was Bob McNair that was doing a mea culpa less than year AFTER signing Osweiler.
I’m not arguing McNair’s demand to get a QB. But he didn’t tell them to get Osweiler.

I believe if BO’b was just toting the company line he could/would have said, “Rick asked me to look at Osweiler & I agreed with him.”

But he didn’t. He said, “Rick gave me tape on everyone available. I picked Osweiler, we convinced McNair.”

Last edited:

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
That’s the old school way General Managing. These players are watching what these NBA players are doing and saying, “ I want that type of control!” In a few years these NFL players will start doing the exact thing. It starts with the money. When the NBA players wasn’t getting paid these ridiculous amount mega contracts, they weren’t controlling these teams. Now that they are getting paid big time, they’re having more input on who they wanted and who they wants to be traded too. Look at what James Harden is doing now. They broke the bank for him, brought in players he wanted and gave up their future draft picks to accommodate his demands. Now he wants to be traded to either the Nets or 76ers in quest of forming a super team. The NFL better watch out lol

The players aren't going to have that type of power in the NFL because of one clause in the CBA.

In the NBA if a player holds out or won't play , the timer on his contract continues to tick.

In the NFL if a player holds out or won't play , the timer on his contract stops.

Meaning if NFL player X has 3 years on his contract and holds out for4 an entire year , when he shows up the next year he still has 3 years on his contract.
In the NBA that isn't the case , player X would only have 2 years remaining in that scenario.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Ain't that some $hit? We block Bud for the new stadium he wanted and lose the team we had for 40 years for this disaster we have now....Plus we give McNair the new stadium!
Bud is the guy who killed Luv Ya Blue.
Bud is the guy who hired his accountant as GM.
Bud is the guy who threatened to move to Jacksonville and got $60 million in renovations to the dome (courtesy of the tax payers).

If we're waxing nostalgic over Bud, let's tell the whole story.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Ain't that some $hit? We block Bud for the new stadium he wanted and lose the team we had for 40 years for this disaster we have now....Plus we give McNair the new stadium!
Adams was pressuring the city during one of the worst oil busts ever and at a time when the city was dead broke. Also they didn't give the McNair's a new stadium, in order to convince the NFL to allow Houston to have a team again, they really wanted a new team in LA, McNair had to shell out 700 million of his own money and show the NFL that Houston planned to build what was, at the time, a revolution in stadium technology with the retractable roof and a state of the art facility. The McNair's hold no ownership of the stadium and if you look the Houston Rodeo is considered a joint tenant with the Texans and has just as much control over it as the Texans. Not to mention even then it was clear that the Astrodome was falling apart and it would cost more to fix it then it was worth plus it was no longer large enough to suit the city's needs.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Adams was pressuring the city during one of the worst oil busts ever and at a time when the city was dead broke. Also they didn't give the McNair's a new stadium, in order to convince the NFL to allow Houston to have a team again, they really wanted a new team in LA, McNair had to shell out 700 million of his own money and show the NFL that Houston planned to build what was, at the time, a revolution in stadium technology with the retractable roof and a state of the art facility. The McNair's hold no ownership of the stadium and if you look the Houston Rodeo is considered a joint tenant with the Texans and has just as much control over it as the Texans. Not to mention even then it was clear that the Astrodome was falling apart and it would cost more to fix it then it was worth plus it was no longer large enough to suit the city's needs.
I still feel like the City of Houston, Six Flags, and the Texans would benefit mightly if the Astrodome was converted to a Indoor Waterpark and Hotel venue. When Houston host the Super Bowl, Bowl Game or any other large event.....the Hotel/Waterpark in the same parking lot would be a great selling point.