Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans random thought of the day

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
His coaches went conservative in the 4th qtr and DW4 had a great 1 1/2 qtrs and overtime.
The Bills did not go conservative. In fact, they should have run the ball more to shorten the game. After Watson's 20 yard run, Buffalo called 5 pass plays in a row, the last a strip sack by Mercilus. The Texans turned that into a FG. On the next Bills drive, they go 3 and out with the last 2 pass plays. Finally, the Bills were down 3, but in FG range at the Texans 28. One intentional grounding takes the Bills out of a tying FG attempt. Some really dumb play calls put too much on Allen.

amazing80

Hall of Fame
Hauschka has missed several GW/tying FG's this yr. I suppose he could miss another one.

In the playoffs particularly you do what you have to do to win the game. If you need to roll DW4 out you do it. If you need to run him like a tailback 20 times per game to get a W you do it.

BTW, This is what gets me about BOB trying to get DW4 to play like Brady, in the playoffs you do whatever is necessary to win and give DW4 his best chance to succeed and that ain't throwing from the pocket because when the primary option isn't open he gets skittish. I know that you have to throw from the pocket some to keep defenses honest but I would be getting him out of the pocket atleast 50% of the time and design runs off of that atleast another 10 times per game. I loved what Daboll did using Allen's legs and hope BOB saw this and said I should be doin more of that.
Other than your popshot at Watson, this may be one of your best most reasonable takes I have ever read.

Watson is not Brady and never will be. Stop forcing him to be.

otisbean

Veteran
Contributor's Club
Other than your popshot at Watson, this may be one of your best most reasonable takes I have ever read.

Watson is not Brady and never will be. Stop forcing him to be.
I agree, it’s not fair to compare any athlete to one of the absolute all time greats in their field. I see DW as a Steve Young/John Elway/Steve McNair type of QB. I believe with a little more experience and some help from the coaching staff he’ll bring a SB championship to Houston. He needs to improve on somethings for sure, but man he has some traits you just can’t teach

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
For those who questioned the acquisition trade.

*************************************************************************************

Jacob Martin's Late Season Pass Rushing Surge Continues in The Texans Playoff Win

Patrick D. StarrJan 5, 2020

Houston, Texas- The Houston Texans pass rush has been an issue the entire season, but outside linebacker Jacob Martin has been attempting to infuse life into the unit. Against the Buffalo Bills in the Wild Card opener, Martin made his presence felt in sacking quarterback Josh Allen to get the ball back into the offense's hands late in the 4th quarter.

Martin recorded one solo tackle, 1.0 sack for 19 yards, one fumble recovery, one tackle for loss, and two quarterback hits against the Bills. With his performance, Martin became the first player in Texans history to record a sack and fumble recovery in the same game.

"I mean anything I can do help this team when I will," Martin said after the win. "I know these guys are going to battle to the end, and it's all bunch of gritty dudes in here that come in and work week in and week out. You know, it was just another opportunity for rock boys go out rock out. It was awesome."

It has been a slow progression for but over the last four games, including the playoff game against the Bills. Martin has 4.5 sacks, and seven quarterback hits in that span.

That production has put Martin into their pass-rushing sets and made him a presence off the edge.

"Just coming in and working every day and staying true to my craft," Martin said of being added to the defensive gameplan. "Listening and then following and learning from Whitney Mercilus and JJ Watt, you know, Brennan Scarlett. Even me I'm the youngest guy in my room, I'm a second-year player. Being around a lot of experience, a lot of guys have won a lot of games and had a lot of success playing this game. It's awesome to come in and be able to learn to work with those guys every week."

Not taking for granted where he started the season to where he is now, Martin appreciates the Texans giving him more opportunities to be on the field in the stretch run of the season.

"It's a tremendous accomplishment to keep going and to pursue greatness," Martin explained.

Martin remains humble and hungry to keep his role with the Texans heading into the Divisional round.
"I understand it a testament, and all I do is thank God you know for his opportunity to be here," Martin said of being with the Texans. "This game isn't guaranteed for everybody you know what I mean? You never know when it's going to end. I'm just thankful for the opportunity to be out here and being able to play with these guys and do something that I love to do."

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I agree, it’s not fair to compare any athlete to one of the absolute all time greats in their field. I see DW as a Steve Young/John Elway/Steve McNair type of QB. I believe with a little more experience and some help from the coaching staff he’ll bring a SB championship to Houston. He needs to improve on somethings for sure, but man he has some traits you just can’t teach
Hope you're right.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
For those who questioned the acquisition trade.

*************************************************************************************

Jacob Martin's Late Season Pass Rushing Surge Continues in The Texans Playoff Win
Patrick D. StarrJan 5, 2020

Houston, Texas- The Houston Texans pass rush has been an issue the entire season, but outside linebacker Jacob Martin has been attempting to infuse life into the unit. Against the Buffalo Bills in the Wild Card opener, Martin made his presence felt in sacking quarterback Josh Allen to get the ball back into the offense's hands late in the 4th quarter.

Martin recorded one solo tackle, 1.0 sack for 19 yards, one fumble recovery, one tackle for loss, and two quarterback hits against the Bills. With his performance, Martin became the first player in Texans history to record a sack and fumble recovery in the same game.

"I mean anything I can do help this team when I will," Martin said after the win. "I know these guys are going to battle to the end, and it's all bunch of gritty dudes in here that come in and work week in and week out. You know, it was just another opportunity for rock boys go out rock out. It was awesome."

It has been a slow progression for but over the last four games, including the playoff game against the Bills. Martin has 4.5 sacks, and seven quarterback hits in that span.

That production has put Martin into their pass-rushing sets and made him a presence off the edge.

"Just coming in and working every day and staying true to my craft," Martin said of being added to the defensive gameplan. "Listening and then following and learning from Whitney Mercilus and JJ Watt, you know, Brennan Scarlett. Even me I'm the youngest guy in my room, I'm a second-year player. Being around a lot of experience, a lot of guys have won a lot of games and had a lot of success playing this game. It's awesome to come in and be able to learn to work with those guys every week."

Not taking for granted where he started the season to where he is now, Martin appreciates the Texans giving him more opportunities to be on the field in the stretch run of the season.

"It's a tremendous accomplishment to keep going and to pursue greatness," Martin explained.

Martin remains humble and hungry to keep his role with the Texans heading into the Divisional round.
"I understand it a testament, and all I do is thank God you know for his opportunity to be here," Martin said of being with the Texans. "This game isn't guaranteed for everybody you know what I mean? You never know when it's going to end. I'm just thankful for the opportunity to be out here and being able to play with these guys and do something that I love to do."
Is this the kind of straws we’re grasping at to justify a horrible trade? I’ll give you that any pass rush we’ve had without Watt, and it’s been very little, has come from Martin, but he’s a JAG. Certainly not the disrupter JD is, particularly against the run which I think a lot of people haven’t realized, were horrible at.

Not counting week 17 where we played the 2’s, we’ve given up 155 ypg on the ground since the bye. Another 172 for Buffalo. Sounds like we could use a guy who’s beastly against the run.

PapaL

Loose Screw

Is this the kind of straws we’re grasping at to justify a horrible trade? I’ll give you that any pass rush we’ve had without Watt, and it’s been very little, has come from Martin, but he’s a JAG. Certainly not the disrupter JD is, particularly against the run which I think a lot of people haven’t realized, were horrible at.

Not counting week 17 where we played the 2’s, we’ve given up 155 ypg on the ground since the bye. Another 172 for Buffalo. Sounds like we could use a guy who’s beastly against the run.
Good for him making plays but nobody is scheming to block him. Right now he’s a one trick speed rusher.

badboy

Hall of Fame

everything we see about Martin says he is not just another guy; surprised you think so. Not saying he is Clowney but I would want a full season of starts in 2020 to rule him out. BTW I hated the trade.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
We're in complete agreement and you can put a couple other HOFer QB's on that list like Montana and Tarkenton.

Problem is that OB doesn't agree with us - He thinks he can make Watson be what OB wants him to be , not what he is.

Nope , those guys don't excel in a Coryell or Erhardt Perkins but they thrive in a WCO.

otisbean

Veteran
Contributor's Club
We're in complete agreement and you can put a couple other HOFer QB's on that list like Montana and Tarkenton.

Problem is that OB doesn't agree with us - He thinks he can make Watson be what OB wants him to be , not what he is.

Nope , those guys don't excel in a Coryell or Erhardt Perkins but they thrive in a WCO.
Amen brother

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
Imagine if we had Clowney, Suggs and Watt, but instead we have Mingo, Martin and Watt.
add to that list we could have poached Marcus Peters for less than Mr. Potential Gareon Conley and could have picked up Janoris Jenkins, but because Bill Obrien is such a nice guy, and he never does anything distasteful or crude or because we have to be societally correct in showing compassion for Mr OBriens special needs son, we couldnt have a guy on the team that used the word "retard" .. the Houston Altarboys. LOL

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
Does anyone remember who the poster was that used do the screenshots/gifs of the game and give a breakdown of what may or may not be happening during the Carr/Schaub era?

I wish those would come back.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
Does anyone remember who the poster was that used do the screenshots/gifs of the game and give a breakdown of what may or may not be happening during the Carr/Schaub era?

I wish those would come back.
76 Texan?
I thought it was @76Texan too. Man I miss those posts but I bet they were time consuming. Plus - with the heightened sensitivity I imagine it got frustrating with different posters.

Reactions: JB

mws

Rookie
Here's a funny stat in this passing driven league. This year 7 of the 10 top rushing teams made the post season while only 3 out of the top 10 passing teams made it.

2 of the 3 top passing teams have already been eliminated.

Out of the 8 teams left in the playoffs 6 are in the top 10 rushing teams & only 1 is in the top 10 passing teams.

The Packers are the only team left that was not in the top 10 of either rushing or passing.

Rushing

Ravens - 206.0 Yards Per Game
49ers - 144.1 Yards Per Game
Titans - 138.9 Yards Per Game
Seahawks - 137.5 Yards Per Game

Cowboys - 134.6 Yards Per Game
Vikings - 133.3 Yards Per Game
Colts - 133.1 Yards Per Game
Bills - 128.4 Yards Per Game
Texans - 125.6 Yards Per Game

Cardinals - 124.4 Yards Per Game

Passing

Buccaneers - 302.8 Yards Per Game
Cowboys - 296.9 Yards Per Game
Falcons - 294.6 Yards Per Game
Rams - 281.2 Yards Per Game
Chiefs - 281.1 Yards Per Game
Chargers - 276.6 Yards Per Game
Saints - 265.3 Yards Per Game
Patriots - 247.6 Yards Per Game

Raiders - 245.4 Yards Per Game
Lions - 243.8 Yards Per Game

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Here's a funny stat in this passing driven league. This year 7 of the 10 top rushing teams made the post season while only 3 out of the top 10 passing teams made it.

2 of the 3 top passing teams have already been eliminated.

Out of the 8 teams left in the playoffs 6 are in the top 10 rushing teams & only 1 is in the top 10 passing teams.

The Packers are the only team left that was not in the top 10 of either rushing or passing.

Rushing

Ravens - 206.0 Yards Per Game
49ers - 144.1 Yards Per Game
Titans - 138.9 Yards Per Game
Seahawks - 137.5 Yards Per Game

Cowboys - 134.6 Yards Per Game
Vikings - 133.3 Yards Per Game
Colts - 133.1 Yards Per Game
Bills - 128.4 Yards Per Game
Texans - 125.6 Yards Per Game

Cardinals - 124.4 Yards Per Game

Passing

Buccaneers - 302.8 Yards Per Game
Cowboys - 296.9 Yards Per Game
Falcons - 294.6 Yards Per Game
Rams - 281.2 Yards Per Game
Chiefs - 281.1 Yards Per Game
Chargers - 276.6 Yards Per Game
Saints - 265.3 Yards Per Game
Patriots - 247.6 Yards Per Game

Raiders - 245.4 Yards Per Game
Lions - 243.8 Yards Per Game
Bad time for our defense to be giving up 158 rushing yards per game.

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
Brilliant write up.

The funny thing about this is a) every time I’ve seen the Texans actually put in easy hot routes for Watson to hit, he hits them and b) the Texans look fantastic as an offense when they do and it helps open up the deep passing game.

Let’s talk a little bit about “you cannot take away the instincts of a guy like Deshaun Watson.” I would argue that it’s your job as a head coach to take away some instincts if it keeps you under seven sacks — this offense gets destroyed by negative plays in every game. Too many inside zone runs that everyone sees coming, too many sacks, and too many penalties. When you don’t have the explosive plays that Fuller provides, it’s tough sledding to keep an offense afloat with so much weighing it down. That’s what we saw for Houston’s first four drives against a good Buffalo defense. That’s why the Texans’ most important offensive play this season is literally their quarterback’s +5 dexterity check bailing them out. O’Brien’s offense has somehow become a place where read-options are safer than dropbacks for his quarterback’s health.

I’m well-aware I’m not going to be changing anyone’s mind about who is “at fault” here. I read the Twitter comments. I know which side you’ve staked out. But regardless of what side you’re on, the answer is actually not all that hard. Hot routes need to be better designed and hit. You can’t run two outside curls against an all-out blitz and expect that to get it done. Run drags. Run slants. Fake blockers that become receivers. Run Duke Johnson screens. That’s four ideas off the top of my head without even thinking about it too hard. I try to praise this stuff whenever I see it, because I don’t think anyone involved is stupid. It just has become a matter of intense stubbornness, in my opinion.
too bad i've got half the board blocked, I would have liked to chuckle at the responses! LOL

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Brilliant write up.

too bad i've got half the board blocked, I would have liked to chuckle at the responses! LOL
This would require DW4being able to read the blitz. Run Deshaun Run seems to work fine.

dream_team

Hall of Fame
Brilliant write up.

Rivers isn't the only one preaching this. I hear Sean Salisbury, Clint Stoerner, Seth Payne and Wade Smith say the same things. They say we are one of the worst teams they've seen IRT being prepared for the blitz. They are saying it's not a one particular player thing, but rather the offense as a whole.

ROO

Tweak the offense already!
The Guru's Offense
plays.jpg

If presnap read shows zone, Hopkins fakes a bubble screen and then does a slant, Fuller does a deep curl, Fells blocks the DE, Stills runs a deep post, and Hyde comes in motion for max protect. If the presnap shows man to man, Fuller, Hopkins, and Stills all run deep posts, Hyde goes to the flat, and Fells runs a deep curl. If the strong safety goes with Hopkins on the post, Stills should break off his route and go over the middle, but if the weak safety is on Fuller, then Hopkins should run a deep out. If Mike drops into middle zone, Fells has to go into the flat, but if Will LB shows Blitz, Fuller runs a slant. If both the CBs are jamming, then Hopkins runs a deep curl, if Fuller sees the Sam cover Hyde, then run a shallow slant, Fells goes to the flat, and Stills runs a deep post. If the weak side CB is on the line, then Fuller slants, Hopkins sits in the middle, Hyde slants, Stills crosses, and Fells runs a seam. Now, if the Strong safety bites on Fuller's deep corner, Hopkins should run a deep crossing route, Stills should drop back into the flat. Fells has to get into the seam and Hyde will run a wheel route. If the Sam LB goes to the flat to cover Hyde, Fells will do a slant over the middle, Hopkins should run a deep out, and Fuller will break off his deep corner and run a deep post. If the Mike shows blitz, Fells runs a deep seam, Fuller fakes a bubble screen, and Hopkins runs a deep hook.

Now, these routes will take some time to make the reads and develop, so you OL gotta block, okay? Deshaun, my scheme guarantees someone WILL be open, you just gotta stay in the pocket, make your reads and go through the progressions. Now, all of you study the play and learn it, for it to work, we all have to be on the same page and make good decisions.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
The Guru's Offense
View attachment 5353

If presnap read shows zone, Hopkins fakes a bubble screen and then does a slant, Fuller does a deep curl, Fells blocks the DE, Stills runs a deep post, and Hyde comes in motion for max protect. If the presnap shows man to man, Fuller, Hopkins, and Stills all run deep posts, Hyde goes to the flat, and Fells runs a deep curl. If the strong safety goes with Hopkins on the post, Stills should break off his route and go over the middle, but if the weak safety is on Fuller, then Hopkins should run a deep out. If Mike drops into middle zone, Fells has to go into the flat, but if Will LB shows Blitz, Fuller runs a slant. If both the CBs are jamming, then Hopkins runs a deep curl, if Fuller sees the Sam cover Hyde, then run a shallow slant, Fells goes to the flat, and Stills runs a deep post. If the weak side CB is on the line, then Fuller slants, Hopkins sits in the middle, Hyde slants, Stills crosses, and Fells runs a seam. Now, if the Strong safety bites on Fuller's deep corner, Hopkins should run a deep crossing route, Stills should drop back into the flat. Fells has to get into the seam and Hyde will run a wheel route. If the Sam LB goes to the flat to cover Hyde, Fells will do a slant over the middle, Hopkins should run a deep out, and Fuller will break off his deep corner and run a deep post. If the Mike shows blitz, Fells runs a deep seam, Fuller fakes a bubble screen, and Hopkins runs a deep hook.

Now, these routes will take some time to make the reads and develop, so you OL gotta block, okay? Deshaun, my scheme guarantees someone WILL be open, you just gotta stay in the pocket, make your reads and go through the progressions. Now, all of you study the play and learn it, for it to work, we all have to be on the same page and make good decisions.
1578613413174.png

Texansballer74

The Marine
The Guru's Offense
View attachment 5353

Man my head is hurting now. Lol good one Roo

Reactions: ROO

amazing80

Hall of Fame
The Guru's Offense
View attachment 5353

I have never seen a more accurate post in my life lol

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Cullen Gillaspia Steps in When the Texans Needed Him the Most
Patrick D. Starr
Jan 7, 2020

Houston, Texas- Throughout the regular season, Houston Texans fullback Cullen Gillaspia has been making his way on the special teams unit being an integral player. Gillaspia was used sparingly on offense for the season with only 13 snaps with none coming after week 8. It was up to the rookie to fill a key role for an offensive package in their Wild Card game against the Buffalo Bills.

Playing his normal role on special teams, Gillaspia was deployed to be the Texans fullback after tight end Jordan Akins went down with a hamstring injury late in the week.

Head coach Bill O'Brien was not surprised how well Gillaspia stepped into his role in the Texans playoff win.

"We had some injuries during the week, and this is a guy that is, again, he's in that tough, smart, dependable category," O'Brien said of Gillaspia. "He's done a lot of good things for us on special teams, and we've worked them during the week at times. We just hadn't been able to use it that much, but use him in some of the roles that he can do in the backfield, and he helped us."

THE REST OF THE STORY

Gillaspia's best play came on an RPO that saw him lead block for Deshaun Watson on a 20-yard run clearing the way before the Texans quarterback drug Bills into the end zone to break open the struggling offense.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
The Guru's Offense
View attachment 5353

When it's your job you should be able to learn this. I mean say if you are WFV how long would it take for you to learn your part of this play? 5-10 mins?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: ROO