Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans random thought of the day

How would you feel if McNair were able to buy out Sean Payton's contract without sending draft picks to New Orleans?

Wouldn't count against the cap so I would love it to happen, but that would be very expensive after the extension he signed a few months ago

The Texans have 18 unrestricted free agents to decide on during the offseason. Many of those were key pieces-Hyde, Roby, Reader, Fells...most of the other 18 were significant contributors in 2019.

The front office better be prepared to put in some long hours. Because the reduced number of draft resources means how they handle free agency is crucial to the future success of the team. Without a seasoned GM, I’m very skeptical about the Texans right now. Tennessee is ascending, the Colts have been drafting excellently the past two years, no reason to believe they won’t do so again in 2020. Someone wrote somewhere on this board that there’s no reason to panic about the team. If now isn’t the right time, when is? No GM. A potential free agency exodus/retirements (Joseph). A couple big ticket players (Watson/Tunsil) to pay. It’s going to be tough to stay competitive.

Reactions: ROO
The Texans have 18 unrestricted free agents to decide on during the offseason. Many of those were key pieces-Hyde, Roby, Reader, Fells...most of the other 18 were significant contributors in 2019.

The front office better be prepared to put in some long hours. Because the reduced number of draft resources means how they handle free agency is crucial to the future success of the team. Without a seasoned GM, I’m very skeptical about the Texans right now. Tennessee is ascending, the Colts have been drafting excellently the past two years, no reason to believe they won’t do so again in 2020. Someone wrote somewhere on this board that there’s no reason to panic about the team. If now isn’t the right time, when is? No GM. A potential free agency exodus/retirements (Joseph). A couple big ticket players (Watson/Tunsil) to pay. It’s going to be tough to stay competitive.

The Texans move forward by firing Chris Olsen today, their main contract negotiator.

When does OB fire Cal McNair and take over as owner?

Seems like O'Brien & Easterby are all that's left of the GM by committee. Man, this organization is getting flatter by the minute.

I wonder how going down a third of their management team will effect all of those fully optimized sub programs they put in place the last time they fired somebody.

Sage Rosenfels

@SageRosenfels18

49ers
Head coach
Defensive coordinator
OLine Coach
Special Teams Coordinator
Run game coordinator
Two Linebackers Coaches
Even the Head Equipment Manager

All were on the Houston Texans in 2006-8.

Meanwhile we're still on that rebuild.

Add Owen Daniels, Antonio Smith, Ryan Harris, Shiloh Keo, and I believe Brandon Brooks.

dude the 49ers went from being in the Super Bowl with Kap and Harbaugh ... they blew it up sky high, COMPLETE REBUILD .. and here they in the Super Bowl again, ALL IN THE SAME SPAN (6 YEARS) AS OBRIENs TENURE IN HOUSTON!!!! Must be nice to cheer for a well run and competent organization.

dude the 49ers went from being in the Super Bowl with Kap and Harbaugh ... they blew it up sky high, COMPLETE REBUILD .. and here they in the Super Bowl again, ALL IN THE SAME SPAN (6 YEARS) AS OBRIENs TENURE IN HOUSTON!!!! Must be nice to cheer for a well run and competent organization.

In the same 6 years OB has been here, all the other AFC South teams have been to the conf championship game.

Texans to work out CFL cornerback Tre Roberson
Aaron Wilson , Houston Chronicle Jan. 20, 2020

The Texans are scheduled to work out Calgary Stampeders cornerback Tre Roberson on Tuesday, according to a league source not authorized to speak publicly.

Roberson has also worked out for the New England Patriots, Arizona Cardinals, Indianapolis Colts, San Francisco 49ers, Minnesota Vikings, Chicago Bears, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Los Angeles Chargers and Detroit Lions with more upcoming meetings with NFL teams.

Roberson is a former Minnesota Vikings undrafted free agent quarterback from Illinois State. He also played at Indiana before transferring

A former Indiana Mr. Football who passed for 7,879 yards and 68 touchdowns in college and rushed for 2,788 yards and 32 touchdowns, Roberson won a CFL Grey Cup championship.

Funny the article mentions nothing about his CB performance.

1579556742283.png

Keep in mind that in the CFL, the field is much wider ( and the EZs 10 yds deeper )..............the CBs have more work cut out for them than in the NFL.

Seven INTs last season is quite impressive............especially when you also factor in that there are only 3 downs in the CFL............AND all offensive backfield players, except the quarterback, may be in motion at the snap – players in motion may move in any direction as long as they are behind the line of scrimmage at the snap.

The Guru's Offense
View attachment 5353

If presnap read shows zone, Hopkins fakes a bubble screen and then does a slant, Fuller does a deep curl, Fells blocks the DE, Stills runs a deep post, and Hyde comes in motion for max protect. If the presnap shows man to man, Fuller, Hopkins, and Stills all run deep posts, Hyde goes to the flat, and Fells runs a deep curl. If the strong safety goes with Hopkins on the post, Stills should break off his route and go over the middle, but if the weak safety is on Fuller, then Hopkins should run a deep out. If Mike drops into middle zone, Fells has to go into the flat, but if Will LB shows Blitz, Fuller runs a slant. If both the CBs are jamming, then Hopkins runs a deep curl, if Fuller sees the Sam cover Hyde, then run a shallow slant, Fells goes to the flat, and Stills runs a deep post. If the weak side CB is on the line, then Fuller slants, Hopkins sits in the middle, Hyde slants, Stills crosses, and Fells runs a seam. Now, if the Strong safety bites on Fuller's deep corner, Hopkins should run a deep crossing route, Stills should drop back into the flat. Fells has to get into the seam and Hyde will run a wheel route. If the Sam LB goes to the flat to cover Hyde, Fells will do a slant over the middle, Hopkins should run a deep out, and Fuller will break off his deep corner and run a deep post. If the Mike shows blitz, Fells runs a deep seam, Fuller fakes a bubble screen, and Hopkins runs a deep hook.

Now, these routes will take some time to make the reads and develop, so you OL gotta block, okay? Deshaun, my scheme guarantees someone WILL be open, you just gotta stay in the pocket, make your reads and go through the progressions. Now, all of you study the play and learn it, for it to work, we all have to be on the same page and make good decisions.
quantum physics is simpler than this
:brickwall:

Texans pass rusher Jacob Martin: 'I'm excited to grow'
Aaron Wilson , Houston Chronicle Jan. 22, 2020

As a situational pass rusher, Texans outside linebacker Jacob Martin saw limited action after being traded from the Seattle Seahawks as part of the Jadeveon Clowney trade.

The Katy native made the most of his opportunities. Playing in just 21 percent of the defensive snaps and 221 overall, Martin still managed to record 3 1/2 sacks, seven quarterback hits, one forced fumble and one fumble recovery.

"I'm excited to be here another year with these guys in the locker room," Martin said. "I"m excited to learn. I'm excited to grow. I can't wait for the future."

Heading into his third NFL season, the former Temple standout has 6 1/2 career sacks. Martin will have a new defensive coordinator in Anthony Weaver and a new position coach since outside linebackers coach John Pagano was fired.

"I think that’s awesome," Martin said of Weaver. "He’s a great guy. I’m excited to play for whoever."

Martin dealt with a knee injury last season. His primary focus this offseason is on his durability. At 6-2, 242 pounds, Martin is somewhat undersized.

"I would just say maybe getting healthy," Martin said. "A lot of people focus on the bigger, stronger faster, but if you’re not healthy how can you get bigger, stronger, faster?

"Focus on getting healthy, staying strong and staying in shape Continue to get better, continue to stack days and grow as a player."

From the Injury Thread:

Sept 22
I reviewed parts of today's game. Reid went out with another right shoulder injury. Today, he was already wearing a shoulder harness for his 2 previous shoulder subluxations sustained this season. Today, he has appeared to have suffered yet another subluxation or dislocation. Either way, he is likely close to requiring shoulder labrum repair surgery to stabilize his shoulder.

Oct 10
He's not healed. Once there is more than one subluxation/dislocation, the ligaments and labrum are damaged to some extent. Pain is not necessarily the limiting factor in the player being able to play or being placed on the Injury Report..........instability is. The more the number of these shoulder traumas, the more the chance that braces/harnesses cannot fully support/compensate for the amount of instability...........and the less functional the player becomes..........it's not IF.......it's WHEN.

Nov 17
As I posted in the game, Reid looked like he dislocated his shoulder again.........hope in addition he does not have a pec tear.

This is going to be a long, dull offseason. I’m not excited about the Texans, not in the least. I’m more interested in what happens with Brady, and I barely care about that.

Texans, you’re killing my interest in football, if you haven’t killed it already. I’ve become more interested in complaining about you than watching you.

Quick! Someone say something controversial so we can have 50 pages of arguing back and forth, saying the same old thing, go nanner nanner boo boo got you back! then we can add another 50 pages of comparing players and rosters from 10 to 20 years ago! The Texans are like my Elio investment. Few exciting moments along the way but never really went anywhere.

Quick! Someone say something controversial so we can have 50 pages of arguing back and forth, saying the same old thing, go nanner nanner boo boo got you back! then we can add another 50 pages of comparing players and rosters from 10 to 20 years ago! The Texans are like my Elio investment. Few exciting moments along the way but never really went anywhere.
You’ll never catch me arguing about past Texans players or coaches... or making comparisons. As far as I’m concerned, the past is best left there. Ownership, on the other hand is fair game as long as a McNair is owner. The only difference since Bob passed away is there’s no voice coming from up top. With this “flat organization structure” the hierarchy isn’t clear. Although I believe BoB is running the entire show on Kirby.

There really isn’t anything to talk about right now except our feelings about the team. They’re not going to be making news. Other than the few scapegoats that have been sacrificed at the altar by O’Brien, what has happened? It’s just more of the same for the foreseeable future. Lackluster free agency is the only thing to look forward to. Who’s going to be available in round two is impossible to predict so there’s no draft talk between now and the second day of the draft for us.

Last edited:
You’ll never catch me arguing about past Texans players or coaches... or making comparisons. As far as I’m concerned, the past is best left there. Ownership, on the other hand is fair game as long as a McNair is owner. The only difference since Bob passed away is there’s no voice coming from up top. With this “flat organization structure” the hierarchy isn’t clear. Although I believe BoB is running the entire show on Kirby.

There really isn’t anything to talk about right now except our feelings about the team. They’re not going to be making news. Other than the few scapegoats that have been sacrificed at the altar by O’Brien, what has happened? It’s just more of the same for the foreseeable future. Lackluster free agency is the only thing to look forward to. Who’s going to be available in round two is impossible to predict so there’s no draft talk between now and the second day of the draft for us.

The Sr Bowl is going on as we speak

We could talk about that. Lots of good prospects out there.

This one is super easy. He’s not worth $9.594 million for one year. He’s JAG. Plenty of those for MUCH cheaper. Only a fool would sign him for that amount.

Head-Coach-Bill-O%E2%80%99Brien-24.jpeg

This is going to be a long, dull offseason. I’m not excited about the Texans, not in the least. I’m more interested in what happens with Brady, and I barely care about that.

Texans, you’re killing my interest in football, if you haven’t killed it already. I’ve become more interested in complaining about you than watching you.
You sound like an Eagles fan.

This one is super easy. He’s not worth $9.594 million for one year. He’s JAG. Plenty of those for MUCH cheaper. Only a fool would sign him for that amount.

I agree, not worth that much!!!

Problem is, though, we are potentially losing JJo and Roby as well. Do we dare start free agency with Conley & Lonnie as our only viable corners? Letting VH walk means re-signing Roby is a MUST!

Agreed, $10M seems like too much to me. I've only seen him play this year. I believe he's got the talent to play in this league, so I can see why the Bucs would pick up his 5th year option.

But considering what Hookem said about him & that Tampa Bay cut him... I don't know if I would keep him at that cost.

If we need the money to sign someone else I'd say let him go. But until Roby is extended, Connaly, Hargreaves & LonnieJ are our starting corners.

You sound like an Eagles fan.
And they won a Super Bowl. As a kid I would sometimes cry when the Houston Oilers lost. They never won the big games either.

As a native Houstonian and once upon a time Houston professional sports fanatic, I feel I have the right to sound like an Eagles fan. Even more of a right than Eagles fans.

I’m aware about the hot mess we’re stuck with at CB now. Throwing more money at mediocre guys will continue to yield mediocre results.

True. Don't want any more mediocre guys signed to this team. If we can revamp the secondary & the pass rush, let's do it. But I'd rather focus on pass rush & LBs this go round & if possible secondary.

And they won a Super Bowl. As a kid I would sometimes cry when the Houston Oilers lost. They never won the big games either.

As a native Houstonian and once upon a time Houston professional sports fanatic, I feel I have the right to sound like an Eagles fan. Even more of a right than Eagles fans.
What does the fact the Eagles won a Super Bowl have to do with anything? Tons of teams have won the Super Bowl, and are not as bad as Eagles fans.

What does the fact the Eagles won a Super Bowl have to do with anything? Tons of teams have won the Super Bowl, and are not as bad as Eagles fans.
Okay. I guess I don’t know what your original point was in saying I sound like an Eagles fan. I don’t even know any Eagles fans. I’m guessing they’re terrible fans and that was your point- I’m a terrible fan. Is that what you were driving at?

Back