Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans Offensive Line

Khelar

Rookie
What are their price points and contract lengths compared to Brendel? I think the Texans still want to draft a center and develop him. Brendel on a 2 year or so deal would accomplish that.
I think it was around 3 years 7-10 APY for those guys.

I’m okay with Brendel and drafting a guy don’t get me wrong would just like some offseason excitement

Texian

Hall of Fame
No way. One 1st is pushing it. Tunsil only has one year left on his deal.
There would be a new contract. Sign and trade. Why would Reid offer that to Tunsil and not Orlando Brown Jr.? Especially when they can sign Jawaan Taylor for less money. :)

Texian

Hall of Fame
Not getting this signing, as Taylor is a RT. Though the Chiefs need one of those, too.
Not sure why the Chiefs would want to use a draft pick(s) and sign Tunsil to a large contract when they could resign Brown to a similar deal and not have to trade away any draft picks? At $20MM a year and limited cap space it looks like KC is planning on moving Taylor to the left side.

Last edited:

badboy

Hall of Fame
Do you think they could get two firsts for Tunsil?

I doubt Reid and company would spend that much draft capital and then sign Tunsil to a large contract.
Super bowl champions need a left tackle and keep Juwaan at right tackle despite his new contract.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
LT: Tunsil
LG: Green
C: Quessenberry
RG: Mason
RT: Howard

I think there is a bunch of smoke to the Tunsil trade rumors. I believe they will get a deal done with him. Need to upgrade center and I believe the team knows that. They re-signed Quessenberry to backup money.

Tytus Howard should be really happy having Shaq Mason next to him in his contract year. He will make him look better. Mason is now the second best OL on the roster. Assuming Green can stay healthy to make a jump in year two this OL is a strength on the roster even with the glaring hole at center.

You have an elite player (Tunsil)
Above average starter (Mason)
Average starter (Howard. Some may consider him above average)

Then Green was drafted first round for a reason and needs to stay healthy to show it. Q is backup level and should remain as such.

The Pencil Neck

Hall of Fame
C: Quessenberry

I think there is a bunch of smoke to the Tunsil trade rumors. I believe they will get a deal done with him. Need to upgrade center and I believe the team knows that. They re-signed Quessenberry to backup money.

Tytus Howard should be really happy having Shaq Mason next to him in his contract year. He will make him look better. Mason is now the second best OL on the roster. Assuming Green can stay healthy to make a jump in year two this OL is a strength on the roster even with the glaring hole at center.

You have an elite player (Tunsil)
Above average starter (Mason)
Average starter (Howard. Some may consider him above average)

Then Green was drafted first round for a reason and needs to stay healthy to show it. Q is backup level and should remain as such.
I'm starting to warm to the idea of getting Ben Jones in that C position, although I am expecting to draft a center.

Porky

Hall of Fame
Ben might retire. That’s the smoke anyway. Guess he had some concussions and isn’t sure he wants to come back. If he decides to play it’s a fit on both sides. Nick gets his 1 or 2 year deal for a creaky vet which is right in his wheelhouse, and Ben comes back to the team he started with to end his career.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Ben might retire. That’s the smoke anyway. Guess he had some concussions and isn’t sure he wants to come back. If he decides to play it’s a fit on both sides. Nick gets his 1 or 2 year deal for a creaky vet which is right in his wheelhouse, and Ben comes back to the team he started with to end his career.
Seems like the type of player who will wait until close to season to sign with a team. Older vet doesn’t want to run around in the heat of training camp.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Or… Ben Jones will tag in where Britt tagged out & keep running that train on Caserio

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Shaq Mason extended. That means four of the five projected starters are under contract for at least the next three seasons. I expect Howard to have a career year his second year in a row at RT and playing next to Mason. He may want to test the market and Texans will need to find a replacement next offseason. But still, this is an OL that can grow together and be the strength of this offense. Very happy to see the investment in the trenches. I expect this to be the best Texans OL since the Kubiak era.

If we are ranking OL within the division, I’d say the Texans are clearly #1. They have a real chance to take that AFC South banner this season.

Projected starting lineup:

C: Scruggs

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
This OL also has quality depth. I expect Deiter to beat out Quessenberry for the top interior swing OL job. I thought highly of Deiter coming out, All American and Big 10 OL of year his final college season. Got injured and shuffled around with the Dolphins. His replacement, Connor Williams, took the job and has played great for the Dolphins.

I could see Deiter being this free agency’s Ethan Pocic. A talented player that hadn’t found his footing in the NFL due to injuries finally putting it together with his new team.

Then there’s Greg Little. Another former Dolphin. Highly regarded 2nd round pick in same class as Tytus Howard. Another player who hasn’t met expectations. Would love for him to meet his potential and maybe become an in-house replacement for Howard (if Howard plays so well he gets a Jawaan Taylor contract next offseason).

And of course reliable Charlie Heck. Not the most talented, but makes the most of his ability. And Jarrett Patterson just drafted. Another talented player who would have been drafted higher if not for injuries.

Deculus, Morrisey and Quessenberry are probably on the outside looking in.

This OL should be able to operate well even if hit by an injury along the starting 5. There are quality players for Strausser/Popovich to develop and play if needed.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Shaq Mason extended. That means four of the five projected starters are under contract for at least the next three seasons. I expect Howard to have a career year his second year in a row at RT and playing next to Mason. He may want to test the market and Texans will need to find a replacement next offseason. But still, this is an OL that can grow together and be the strength of this offense. Very happy to see the investment in the trenches. I expect this to be the best Texans OL since the Kubiak era.

If we are ranking OL within the division, I’d say the Texans are clearly #1. They have a real chance to take that AFC South banner this season.

Projected starting lineup:

C: Scruggs
Man, I wouldn't be surprised if Deiter pushed hard for the starting Center job. It looks as though he was most effective in Wisconsin's "Inside Zone Blocking" scheme (2015 & 2016) while primarily playing at Center. Could be his calling with the Texans.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
I wonder what scheme Howard played in college? If it was similar to a WCO style game, he could become a top tier RT as he is already good there under the last system - whatever that was.
Texans could finally have a real Oline after the off-season additions.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
I'm pretty excited about our Oline for the upcoming season.
Tunsil at LT is a lock - one of the best in the game.
Kenyon Green had a typical rookie start to his career but I am hopeful he will benefit from the experience and a new scheme. He also seems to like Shaq Mason and the two have been sharing thoughts. If the Center play is improved and it should be, he will also benefit from that.
The center position will have four dudes competing for the starter spot - Quessenberry, Dieter, Scruggs and Patterson. This should make all of them better and the best man, even if it is Q, should be an upgrade on last seasons showing. With improved play at both guard spots, the Center should be in good company.
RT will be Howard and he has earned his spot and likely a big payday in his near future.
Roll all of this together in a WCO style offense and we should have fun watching this line in '23.
I am looking forward to it.:evil:

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
I wonder what scheme Howard played in college? If it was similar to a WCO style game, he could become a top tier RT as he is already good there under the last system - whatever that was.
Texans could finally have a real Oline after the off-season additions.
Seems like they were running 3 types of blocking schemes.

1. "Lock-It" or a Man Power Blocking Scheme

2. "Push-It" or a Inside Zone Blocking Scheme

3. "Track Blocking" or a Zone Blocking Scheme

badboy

Hall of Fame
Good film review of Shaq Mason and Juice Scruggs by Seth Payne. He was especially complimentary about their positioning. And said Scruggs will be able to handle power rushers well due to his strong anchor and football IQ staying in good position.

All I want from our center regardless of who it is to maintain and not allow anyone past him preferably with minimum penalties. If he can get to the 2nd level, that's just honey for the biscuit. That is Patterson's forte.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Seems like they were running 3 types of blocking schemes.

1. "Lock-It" or a Man Power Blocking Scheme

2. "Push-It" or a Inside Zone Blocking Scheme

3. "Track Blocking" or a Zone Blocking Scheme

Trivia, Tytus howard walked on Alabama State as a TE and gained 100 pounds.

Edit: Tytus also played QB in H.S.l

Last edited:

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
That is one of the reasons I believe caserio will extend him sooner rather than later.
If/when the Texans extend him I would suspect he makes Jawaan Taylor money at minimum. I don’t have the figures in front of me, but I think i’d be hard pressed to find a team that has invested more in their OL than the Texans. Which would mean the Texans need not just a good OL, but a downright dominant elite OL to justify the expense.