Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans New Uniforms will debut at Draft.

Nothing like a uniform redesign to bring out culture wars across all the demographics.

giphy.gif

You haven't.. That design is ****ing amateur hour and absolutely hideous. It tries to "represent" so many different things that it doesn't represent anything. Also it's designed horribly. This is exactly why they have high priced marketing agencies who professionalize in branding design. After seeing this embarrassment I now think that's the route they should've taken. Not a group of random Joe's throwing **** against a wall. I'm not against a H town alternative.. However that one SUCKS. That is first draft level at best. I hope this is a false leak the team put out.
That's what you get when you leave things up to a select group of fans whose only taste resides in their mouths. :mcnugget:

Furthermore, The unis are supposed to represent HOUSTON….as in the city itself…. not the state of Texas or “Texas pride” or whatever crap you were spewing.

Wait - we are the Houston Texans. I thought we represented both Houston and Texans?

I am confused of what we are. What we are doing. What we are representing. And how Toro fits into any of this.

That's what you get when you leave things up to a select group of fans whose only taste resides in their mouths. :mcnugget:

lol as opposed to the old way of picking the uniforms & doing things that were selected in a board room full of “select” fans?

Should I refresh you on how the last “redesign” went with that group?

2002 jersey
IMG_0510.jpeg

& then somewhere around 2017 the “redesign” where literally all they did was add a damn Texans logo on the back collar of the jersey made the bands on the shoulders a little wider and darkened the blue a little bit lol.
IMG_0512.jpeg

Yeah…those “select” board room fans had a handle on “taste” and what fans in the city really wanted.

Fact is, when the older season ticket holders started bailing out on the team, it gave Cal & the FO the opportunity to reshape its core fan base to attract the younger crowd, who quite honestly are the ones that had been shunned and neglected as fans of the team for years. And now with a younger overall team poised to make some noise, this is the perfect thing to do to really capture that group of fans, create some new younger ones and generate some buzz while they’re at it.

Last edited:
Wait - we are the Houston Texans. I thought we represented both Houston and Texans?

I am confused of what we are. What we are doing. What we are representing. And how Toro fits into any of this.
Houston 1st…Texas second. This western culture **** is more Texas as a whole 1st…and it’s honestly not even unique to Texas as many southern states have that type of culture and way of life. There’s just no real representation of the actual city of Houston and what makes it unique as a city within the Texans org. Hell the logo is just the Texas flag shaped into a damn bull!

Every major pro team in this city has embraced something in either their name/mascot or uniforms that shows what makes this city unique…..except the Texans.

The Astros with their name, mascot and space city alternate jerseys…..& their minor league affiliate here.

The Rockets with their name, mascot, logo AND mascot.

Hell even the cougars did a rebranding & got in on the act with the throw back to their old logo and uniforms.

The Texans? Nothing for 20 years. Just cowboy culture crap that honestly isnt anymore representative of the city than it is for dozens of other cities in the state of Texas. The rodeo visits all the major cities in Texas not just Houston. So how is that western culture crap relatable to Houstonians when probably more than half of the 4-5 million people here in this city live inside the loops, haven’t even rode a horse or don’t even own cowboy boots…or don’t even go to the HLSR every year. I’ve been here pretty much my whole life and all but 1 of those apply to me.

I think there is a huge misconception about who designed the uniforms. From some of the marketing materials, the team gathered information from the fan groups and the internal marketing team and gave that to Nike to design the uniforms. Nike, who has a fair bit of experience in these, did the design work, that includes the new alt logo, the uni's and the helemts.

This narrative that certain fan groups designed anything is disingenuous at best

I think there is a huge misconception about who designed the uniforms. From some of the marketing materials, the team gathered information from the fan groups and the internal marketing team and gave that to Nike to design the uniforms. Nike, who has a fair bit of experience in these, did the design work, that includes the new alt logo, the uni's and the helemts.

This narrative that certain fan groups designed anything is disingenuous at best
Not only that, the media was included as well. Hardly a “select” group of fans.

They’re alternates man…worn once or twice a year…

Doesn't matter though. That means the other predominant stuff can/are more likely to be just as ugly.

We understand full and well Nike designed it. Nike is a garbage company that has ruined professional jerseys and uniforms and apparel for the last what, 15 years? Examples strewn about all over sports.

The leaked helmet is so ugly the H must stand for Hamas or something.

Doesn't matter though. That means the other predominant stuff can/are more likely to be just as ugly.

We understand full and well Nike designed it. Nike is a garbage company that has ruined professional jerseys and uniforms and apparel for the last what, 15 years? Examples strewn about all over sports.

as opposed to that staple of coolness that our old unis were? Lol. U guys are out of control in here.

Hamas? I'm sorry what?

And NFL teams don't get the choice with Nike. Acting like a three-year-old bitching about something that won't/can't change.

Houston 1st…Texas second. This western culture **** is more Texas as a whole 1st…and it’s honestly not even unique to Texas as many southern states have that type of culture and way of life. There’s just no real representation of the actual city of Houston and what makes it unique as a city within the Texans org. Hell the logo is just the Texas flag shaped into a damn bull!

Every major pro team in this city has embraced something in either their name/mascot or uniforms that shows what makes this city unique…..except the Texans.

The Astros with their name, mascot and space city alternate jerseys…..& their minor league affiliate here.

Hell even the cougars did a rebranding & got in on the act with the throw back to their old logo and uniforms.

The Texans? Nothing for 20 years. Just cowboy culture crap that honestly isnt anymore representative of the city than it is for dozens of other cities in the state of Texas. The rodeo visits all the major cities in Texas not just Houston. So how is that western culture crap relatable to Houstonians when probably more than half of the 4-5 million people here in this city live inside the loops, haven’t even rode a horse or don’t even own cowboy boots…or don’t even go to the HLSR every year. I’ve been here pretty much my whole life and all but 1 of those apply to me.

Heritage, customs, nostalgia…and the things that built the city and state. You think there are still Rams running around the streets of Los Angeles? Sad to say you are out of touch.

If all the fans came straight from their ghetto cribs and then picked up the low riders on the way maybe. Middle age white man can go to hell it appears. To hell with the people that actually paved the way and spend by far the most on tickets and merch…this is offensive trash.

This helmet is so bad it’s downright offensive. Seriously. As a fan of 22+ years this is flippin offensive.

It’s like someone down on Kirby said we need something that represents all the demographics of Houston. Except white people. Except oil and gas. Except cowboy or western culture. Except NASA. Now throw all that **** into a blender, add an olde English font for no apparent reason, add titan blue, and spit it out onto the side of a hemet.

Not just bad or ugly…pathetic.

It's insanely ugly in so many ways. No idea what they were thinking but it doesn't really matter much anyway. I'm a half-broken 1st generation Texans fan. If you ever wonder when you put on a golf shirt and a pair of coaches shorts "Do I look like Dom Capers or something?" then you know what I mean. If you started with this team from the very beginning then "What were they thinking" is a well trodden path in your mind. You just gotta come back around to knowing it's about the football. If they win it doesn't much matter. If they don't they could have the best gear in existence and it would still suck.

But yeah, I mostly hate these things. It's a miss. Like the man said earlier (Carr Bombed?) It's trying so hard to stand for everything that it doesn't stand for anything.

If all the fans came straight from their ghetto cribs and then picked up the low riders on the way maybe. Middle age white man can go to hell it appears. To hell with the people that actually paved the way and spend by far the most on tickets and merch…this is offensive trash.
What does this even mean? I'm trying not to assume it means what I think it means.

It's insanely ugly in so many ways. No idea what they were thinking but it doesn't really matter much anyway. I'm a half-broken 1st generation Texans fan. If you ever wonder when you put on a golf shirt and a pair of coaches shorts "Do I look like Dom Capers or something?" then you know what I mean. If you started with this team from the very beginning then "What were they thinking" is a well trodden path in your mind. You just gotta come back around to knowing it's about the football. If they win it doesn't much matter. If they don't they could have the best gear in existence and it would still suck.

But yeah, I mostly hate these things. It's a miss. Like the man said earlier (Carr Bombed?) It's trying so hard to stand for everything that it doesn't stand for anything.

Nailed it. Clearly, the Texans are trying to alienate a certain demographic - one we both belong to. So that’s why it’s offensive. It’s also ugly to the bone. That’s not the offensive part though, it’s the message it sends to middle aged wasps…of which there are many who support the team.

So is the narrative that Nike can design a decent uniform but the NFL doesn't seem interested in accepting that particular reality.

Heritage, customs, nostalgia…and the things that built the city and state. You think there are still Rams running around the streets of Los Angeles? Sad to say you are out of touch.
The fact that you’re talking about “heritage, customs and nostalgia” tells me YOU’RE out of touch. Houston is no longer an oil boom town…or rancher’s cowboy delight town & hasn’t been for some time. It’s a sprawling & ever growing metroplex with serious footholds in not only oil and gas, but also the medical field and of course the space industry.

funny u used the Rams as an example for your poor analogy. they are a team who until recently weren’t actually able to even stay planted in 1 place…and they actually have some semblance of a winning tradition & nostalgia behind their uniforms. Yet they still opted for a refreshed look when they headed back to LA so as to represent the city. Tell me sir, what did our old, bland and tired milquetoast unis have that represented Houstonians? Tell me about the “nostalgia” and “customs” that we’re leaving behind. You’re not making any sense man.

Last edited:
So is the narrative that Nike can design a decent uniform but the NFL doesn't seem interested in accepting that particular reality.
The narrative here seems to be that the team brought in fans or a certain demographic and they busted out the markers and designed 4 new uniforms. So lets just blame them

Nailed it. Clearly, the Texans are trying to alienate a certain demographic - one we both belong to. So that’s why it’s offensive. It’s also ugly to the bone. That’s not the offensive part though, it’s the message it sends to middle aged wasps…of which there are many who support the team.

I don't agree with you even when we agree on the look of the things. I think believing that the Texans are intentionally trying to alienate anyone is a mistake. They're not hatching a conspiracy to get the white people to hate them. They're just not any good at this kind of thing (choosing team names, logos, etc). They've always sucked at it. Cal sucks at it. His daddy sucked at it. I bet his daddy's daddy sucked at it too. They let focus groups decide these things and the results always make it seem to me like they didn't know what they wanted so they said yes to the first thing that was tossed out to them.

Look at Crane coming in and hitting it out of the park when he bought the Astros and put them in uniforms that were widely praised. He understood what would sell. Cal and Hannah, Bob and Janice? They just go with what the focus group says.

Not being sarcastic whatsoever, but I'm missing something here... how are the jerseys racist or exclusionary lol.

I’m a middle-aged “wasp” who didn’t & hasn’t liked the team name or our unis since inception. So what you’re saying here is that it was all good when my supposed demographic was “alienated” back then when they chose those bland joints………but now that it appears (I don’t believe that) your demographic is being alienated it’s a problem now.

I might agree with u if the alternates were going to be the main unis..but they’re not. They’ll only be worn 1-3 times a year.

Last edited:
I don't agree with you even when we agree on the look of the things. I think believing that the Texans are intentionally trying to alienate anyone is a mistake. They're not hatching a conspiracy to get the white people to hate them. They're just not any good at this kind of thing (choosing team names, logos, etc). They've always sucked at it. Cal sucks at it. His daddy sucked at it. I bet his daddy's daddy sucked at it too. They let focus groups decide these things and the results always make it seem to me like they didn't know what they wanted so they said yes to the first thing that was tossed out to them.

Look at Crane coming in and hitting it out of the park when he bought the Astros and put them in uniforms that were widely praised. He understood what would sell. Cal and Hannah, Bob and Janice? They just go with what the focus group says.
Those unis weren’t widely praised brother. Most didn’t like them b/c of how prominent the orange was and those rainbow practice jerseys they showed up in 1st looked awful. I remember all this b/c I was working part time in the Astros team store in 2014 and folks came in there laughing at all that ****. But then a funny thing happened. They started winning and the rest is history.

I can buy that argument. Your probably right and I’m overreacting, but that helmet is butt ugly. It probably is just more of the same from the franchise that never gets the little or big things right. Just another epic fail.

And I’m not trying to say it’s ugly, but If it was a baby, the Dr would slap the mother, and then try to shove the baby back in. If it was a work of art, it would be called the Groana Lisa. If it was a car, it would be the bastard child of a Tesla cyber truck and a smart car.

I asked a question about how the alternate unis are discriminatory or exclusionary, and no one yet who complained about it being so has given any explanation at all, let alone a logical one.

Those unis weren’t widely praised brother. Most didn’t like them b/c of how prominent the orange was and those rainbow practice jerseys they showed up in 1st looked awful. I remember all this b/c I was working part time in the Astros team store in 2014 and folks came in there laughing at all that ****. But then a funny thing happened. They started winning and the rest is history.

We're all exposed to a relatively small sample size and yeah, you worked there part time and saw more people than most. Having said that I don't know (in person) anyone who didn't like them and enjoy the return to the older style logo. Small sample size though.

I can buy that argument. Your probably right and I’m overreacting, but that helmet is butt ugly. It probably is just more of the same from the franchise that never gets the little or big things right. Just another epic fail.

And I’m not trying to say it’s ugly, but If it was a baby, the Dr would slap the mother, and then try to shove the baby back in. If it was a work of art, it would be called the Groana Lisa. If it was a car, it would be the bastard child of a Tesla cyber truck and a smart car.

I can agree with that.

This is all 100% true. Houston is a very difficult city to characterize. People live in Houston for good jobs, cheap homes, and that's about it. It's such a self-contained ecosystem that it does not feel like the rest of Texas. This is why it was so difficult to name the new team in 2001. If I had to do it over, it'd be the Roughnecks since that represents the blue-collar spirit and the oil and gas industry.

But what people are upset about here is being represented by a street culture that the majority of the Houston population does not care for. We're not being judgmental, we've just had to share the same neighborhoods with riffraff for decades, while Cal has not.

This is all 100% true. Houston is a very difficult city to characterize. People live in Houston for good jobs, cheap homes, and that's about it. It's such a self-contained ecosystem that it does not feel like the rest of Texas. This is why it was so difficult to name the new team in 2001. If I had to do it over, it'd be the Roughnecks since that represents the blue-collar spirit and the oil and gas industry.

But what people are upset about here is being represented by a street culture that the majority of the Houston population does not care for. We're not being judgmental, we've just had to share the same neighborhoods with riffraff for decades, while Cal has not.
As D-John2008 referenced pages ago, that old English font is used on pretty much everyone’s diploma…high school AND college degrees. I’m assuming everyone here has at least 1 of those. Do/did any of you in here feel like you were graduating from a ghetto street culture school when u received your degrees b/c of that? Likely not. Probably didn’t give it a 2nd thought TBH.

I think the fact that “street culture” & “ghetto” is the automatic go-to when some people see that H speaks for itself in regard to the person TBH.

I’m not a fan of how the H is designed but for me it’s more about not liking the old English font on anything…. period…not necessarily that I think it’s ghetto or representative of some type of unsavory “culture”.

If it’s ugly to you, fine, let it be ugly. But honestly, it’s not any uglier than the previous uni combos…& we wore them shits for 20 years.

I'm not a big fan of the new H logo design.

That said I know it wasn't marketed with me in mind, and that's ok. It's further ok'd by the fact that the demo it's marketed for are as Houston as me and a fan just like me. And it's only 25% of the uni options to be worn less than 18% of the time, so good for whoever likes it.

And if we're winning in it I'll care even less.

I don’t see how a logo equates to riff raff.

For those talking about the styling of the lettering, don’t forget Cal went to Rice for his MBA. He is a proud Rice alum. He also is the owner who calls the shots (that his wife may or may not give him —you married men know where this is going.) His approval of that font is easy to see. Hannah also has an MBA from Rice. Just for what it’s worth.

Back