Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans don’t plan to hire a G.M. in 2020

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
I was going to post the same article after Googling his name to see if there was any updates.

Here is another one (from 2018) to complement the one you posted:
its so simple to make a few clicks to make sure your NARRATIVE can hold water (nobody is beating down his door, track record BLAH BLAH BLAH), but some guys would just rather bask in subjectivity. Rick Smith will take on another GM role when he wants to. He's more than qualified and has a history that promotes a positive culture of respect and loyalty. He's dead nuts on 1st rounders and finding undrafted guys. His middle rounds are bad, but no GM is perfect, and Smith has been painted to be the worst of the worst around here, and its simply not true. He did a great job for this organization.

OBrien panicking and giving away picks to other teams scouting departments is what really does the talking of track records here, and if Rick Smith would have started to auction off 1st rounders some of you guys would have turned into Cowboy fans already.

Rick Smith was not a rogue GM, anyone who can practice critical thinking can see that, anyone that can research the draft day process and all the moving parts know that its not on one man, there is a whole department devoted to that on a year round basis, you want to to tell me a man who is juggling being a head coach, and a general manager knows what the strengths of a CB at Wash St is?? No, he doesnt, he barely can figure out how to draw up combo routes for his current team. Its why having TWO people occupy each of these roles and implement the checks and balances necessary is IMPERATIVE to success.

OBrien threw a bunch of shite against the wall to see how much of it would stick and lucky for him he had a couple of dingleberries that hung around for the ride. AWESOME! Its nice that we have a LT who can pass block at an elite level, flip side it sucks that hes so bad a run blocking and is a flag machine that there is no way that deal looks like a win now, but hey its an upgrade, and who needs 1st rounders anyway right? Then you can look at how they spent a 1st rounder trying to shore up that LT position initially in the draft bypassing the best CB in the draft (which was also a need), aftewards they felt that playing that player at GUARD was a better use of the talent, how did that work out again? The Clowney Debacle? Outright cutting Foreman? Its just funny to see guys put OBrien up on a pedestal, when he's just trying to hold on to his job making moves a caged animal would make. Its good to know he feels the warmth on his seat, and hopefully Cal McNair understands what he needs to do.

Cough. Cough. Ozzie Newsome is fly fishing somewhere out there, could you make him a deal he couldnt refuse? Who knows, but there are upgrades available, and in hindsight was Briane Gaine even that bad?

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
No joke BOB, is doing well as GM these days. Thought it was gonna be a disaster, but damn............. he got what we needed and he should get credit for it.

Moves he made are going to have years of results that help or hurt the franchise.

You sitting here and actually thinking that all of those moves were amazing based on 12 games when the consequences of them are to take place for several years and you have no idea what kind of state this franchise will be in at that time makes that assessment totally bogus. There are a ton of scenarios that could cause his Tunsil trade to become a huge disaster. The Texans haven't shown that they are even in any better shape this year than they were last year.

Its like some in here have never watched football before and seen what long term effects can take place after big moves are made or when holes pop up on your roster later on. If you aren't prepared for that or if the cupboard is full cap wise and draft pick wise you're in a world of ****.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
Watson wasn't an option before jimmy G. No disputing we needed a qb and we needed that qb as soon as possible when jimmy was in the draft.

Not sure I understand your rationale.
We could have traded for Jimmy G and I even started a thread for it.

A bunch of whiney asses came in claimed that he'd bee a bust here all because of other NE QB's that were which had zero logic what so ever.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
LOL. You REFUSE to take the L on Watson. Jimmy G is a game manager. Watson is a Superstar.

Game manager? Lol!

He left NE and went to a garbage San Fran team that was in the gutter and immediately got like 7 straight wins before getting injured the next season. He has totally turned that franchise around since becoming the starter there and the results speak for themselves. Game manager my ass.

dream_team

Hall of Fame
Game manager? Lol!

He left NE and went to a garbage San Fran team that was in the gutter and immediately got like 7 straight wins before getting injured the next season. He has totally turned that franchise around since becoming the starter there and the results speak for themselves. Game manager my ass.
A lot of people would argue that Shanahan turned that franchise around. BTW, I live near San Francisco. Majority of the 49er fans around here believe Jimmy G is the guy holding them back from being an SB contender. Not saying they are right, but that's just the common theme I hear. They talk about him like we did about Schaub.

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
Moves he made are going to have years of results that help or hurt the franchise.

You sitting here and actually thinking that all of those moves were amazing based on 12 games when the consequences of them are to take place for several years and you have no idea what kind of state this franchise will be in at that time makes that assessment totally bogus. There are a ton of scenarios that could cause his Tunsil trade to become a huge disaster. The Texans haven't shown that they are even in any better shape this year than they were last year.

Its like some in here have never watched football before and seen what long term effects can take place after big moves are made or when holes pop up on your roster later on. If you aren't prepared for that or if the cupboard is full cap wise and draft pick wise you're in a world of ****.
This is so funny in so many ways, maybe ironic. Anyone sitting here thinking he nailed it or screwed the pooch is jumping the gun, you included. You are on the all was stupid, others see the logic. Time will tell so we can all blab on the internet but to act indignant.

Noone here loves everything BOB does, but some see change. DW4 is not getting sacked 62 times or taking bus trips, the OL is better, we beat some good teams instead of riding a bad schedule. BOB is still middling, but the team has fewer holes. This may all blow up or pay off with a SB this year or next. Then we all point to our genius posts or go away until people forget how wrong we were. As a long time fan and season ticket holder I am enjoying the aggression on and off the field. I am also face palming six straight series with a middle run last week. Life of a Texan fan

Game manager? Lol!

Jimmy G is Matt Schaub with a better arm. Can put up very good numbers and can win you games if the players around are very good. Matt Schaub led the league in yardage 1 season. However, those type of QBs cannot carry a team to a Superbowl by themselves...if need be.

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
Jimmy G is Matt Schaub with a better arm. Can put up very good numbers and can win you games if the players around are very good. Matt Schaub led the league in yardage 1 season. However, those type of QBs cannot carry a team to a Superbowl by themselves...if need be.
OOOOfffff ... you just hurt half the boards feelings.

We could have traded for Jimmy G and I even started a thread for it.

A bunch of whiney asses came in claimed that he'd bee a bust here all because of other NE QB's that were which had zero logic what so ever.
There is a REASON when people talk about the 49ers, they talk about the run game and defense. Jimmy G is perfect for what they do...but he is not an Elite QB in many eyes because they see him as a system QB. You can be GREAT in that system, but doesn't mean you are Elite QB. Schaub was GREAT in that Kubiak/Shanahan system. But he was never an elite QB.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
Comparing what he's done and how well the team has responded since he got there makes that statement laughable. He plays nothing like Schaub and their measurable aren't even comparable. Schaub's yards has nothing to do with anything.

There is a REASON when people talk about the 49ers, they talk about the run game and defense. Jimmy G is perfect for what they do...but he is not an Elite QB in many eyes because they see him as a system QB. You can be GREAT in that system, but doesn't mean you are Elite QB. Schaub was GREAT in that Kubiak/Shanahan system. But he was never an elite QB.
Who called him elite in this conversation ever? It was you that called him simply a game manager, and that isn't true. He put up nice numbers in NE, and he put up nice numbers for the most part in his first season in San Fran. They have one of the best defenses in football and historically one of the best of all time. They don't need Jimmy slinging it all over the place. The fact is that when he got there they were a terrible team and immediately won like 7 straight games. He got hurt the very next season and they went nowhere. This year they are one of the top 2 or three teams in the league with him starting again. He's been a huge difference maker towards their wins and losses and that simply can't be denied. He isn't some shitty game manager and that's what this conversation was about. Not whether he was elite or not.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
This is so funny in so many ways, maybe ironic. Anyone sitting here thinking he nailed it or screwed the pooch is jumping the gun, you included. You are on the all was stupid, others see the logic. Time will tell so we can all blab on the internet but to act indignant.

Noone here loves everything BOB does, but some see change. DW4 is not getting sacked 62 times or taking bus trips, the OL is better, we beat some good teams instead of riding a bad schedule. BOB is still middling, but the team has fewer holes. This may all blow up or pay off with a SB this year or next. Then we all point to our genius posts or go away until people forget how wrong we were. As a long time fan and season ticket holder I am enjoying the aggression on and off the field. I am also face palming six straight series with a middle run last week. Life of a Texan fan
They overpaid period and I've challenged you and everyone else to show me another trade scenario where some offensive lineman got traded for two first round picks and not a single one of you can come up with anything, so there is no argument to be made that he didn't over pay. He paid the highest amount anyone ever has, and that was because he failed to get it done on all of these other acquisitions and moves. O'Brien was heavily involved with the draft with Gaine, so don't sit here and act like those awful draft picks that didn't address the LT position weren't on him as well. He could have just signed Trent Brown as a FA, and used him for two to three years while getting other players instead of giving away two first rounders.

Giving Clowney away and getting the compensation he did was embarrassing. He could have kept him and still used him now, or traded him later for better value.

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
They overpaid period and I've challenged you and everyone else to show me another trade scenario where some offensive lineman got traded for two first round picks and not a single one of you can come up with anything, so there is no argument to be made that he didn't over pay. He paid the highest amount anyone ever has, and that was because he failed to get it done on all of these other acquisitions and moves. O'Brien was heavily involved with the draft with Gaine, so don't sit here and act like those awful draft picks that didn't address the LT position weren't on him as well. He could have just signed Trent Brown as a FA, and used him for two to three years while getting other players instead of giving away two first rounders.

Giving Clowney away and getting the compensation he did was embarrassing. He could have kept him and still used him now, or traded him later for better value.
I won't defend the past nor OB, just say what I see. They were very late to the game fixing the OL. I would tend to agree that FA overpay in $$'s for a TB or Solder is probably "good enough" when DW4 can shake and bake with adequate protection. What I saw was them staring down the barrel of DW4 getting killed another season for mismanagement in the offseason. BOB is surely partly to blame, Cal may have come in and said protect my shiny QB or you are fired and Gaine, you are fired. Crap started to change after the offseason. They went after the glaring holes in the team. It was harder to do and more expensive because they played the game late. I am only ok with Tunsil because it saves DW4 from another season of a LT turnstile. So I do blame them for mismanagement, but overpaying to save the guy on the roster who may get you to a SB or two and before his contract renewal comes up was worth it. I try to separate the offseason mismanagement to what they did when they were screwed

Clowney was maddening, BOB got Miami to ok a 1 and Clowney for Tunsil, he should have known JD would give him the bird and it would go south. On paper that was a good idea, but probably easy to see where it would go. JD did not make anyone's job easy, he overvalued himself to the Texans and trade partners. So yeah, you probably just play him as hard as you can in 19 and let him walk

I note you do not mention any of the moves that did make sense when the CB group was decimated or Hyde. You could give me a new GM, coach, OC, OL coach and I would not blink, but the outcomes are not all crap. Personally, I think Gaine was good at finding talent, just too conservative and sounds like he lacked in the whole FA and relationship side (other GMs)

maverick512000

Hall of Fame

This has to be one of the dumbest posts I have ever seen. First they did draft a LT but Howard wasn't and isn't ready, news flash Dillard wasn't and isn't ready either and that was the only two LTs they had any chance at all of getting. Even if Williams, who was the highest ranked and highest drafted LT, had been within our reach he was injured during training and if his shoulder was that fragile you can bet he would have been injured here as well. Those were the only 3 LTs you can even start to say were 1st round picks, and Howard is questionable, so where were they suppose to get this mythical LT in the draft?

Next Trent Brown, first Trent Brown was a completely average LT in NE and was and is at best middle of the pack. Next they did make a play for him but Raiders offered completely stupid money and they haven't gotten a return on their investment. You talk about the draft price of Tunsil what about the insane salary cap price of Trent Brown? Finally they did try and come up with another solution by bringing Kalil in and hoping he had enough in him for one more season, when it became clear he was on roller skates that's when they made the Tunsil deal.

As far as Clowney goes yeah I agree I would have made his lazy ass play on the franchise tag and ran him into the ground. If he whines about it I would have fined him into poverty. Reports are they planned to send him to Miami but because the tag had passed he could void that. You can thank Gaine for that one because as GM it was his job to get a deal done one way or another. I say they sent him to Seattle because he was becoming locker room poison but that's just my theory. Only thing I have to back it up is reports that Watt was pissed at him for being lazy and the fact that the locker room sure doesn't seem to have been upset or miss him.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Luckily, Rick thought differently about Watson.
To be fair to Steel and, according to reports, BoB both of them wanted Mahomes. As much as I love Watson I would be happy with Mahomes as well. So its not like BoB, or Steel for that matter, didn't want to draft a QB they just wanted lobster instead of steak. Now if reports were that BoB wanted Trubisky then I would be very worried though not surprised.

dream_team

Hall of Fame
To be fair to Steel and, according to reports, BoB both of them wanted Mahomes. As much as I love Watson I would be happy with Mahomes as well. So its not like BoB, or Steel for that matter, didn't want to draft a QB they just wanted lobster instead of steak. Now if reports were that BoB wanted Trubisky then I would be very worried though not surprised.
Steel has been very clear that he preferred, at that time, to rebuild the OL before taking a QB.

Personally, I'd be happy with either as well.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club

How many other young starting LT's have been traded? Can you provide a list?

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
How many other young starting LT's have been traded? Can you provide a list?
I don't wanna get between the two of you but I've an honest question imo...

Has he lived up to his trade value so far?

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
I think it's taking him time to get used to the 'down..go' snap. Remember he didn't have a TC to get used to his QB
I want to agree with you and would if we were only 3-4 games in. I dont see Watson's cadence as off tempo and defenders dont seem to have an issue with it.

To me, it's just a discipline problem. That's coachable and it has to be fixed.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
I want to agree with you and would if we were only 3-4 games in. I dont see Watson's cadence as off tempo and defenders dont seem to have an issue with it.

To me, it's just a discipline problem. That's coachable and it has to be fixed.
You said coachable and I immediately thought of Devlin. So far it doesn’t seem to go together. Like 6 years so far.

Texas Jake

Rookie
If their master plan all along was to still hire Caseiro why even leak this to the media that they’re standing pat? It really has no upside unless they want to put the pressure on him to leave. And even then it seems counter productive.
How do you know they planned to leak this?

Texas Jake

Rookie
Not having a franchise LT to protect your once in a lifetime franchise QB will hurt you more so than spending two picks on a franchise LT. Waiting to draft a LT in the first round and see if they can develop can do more harm. See David Carr.
And what would it cost you to move up to get that franchise tackle? Probably about what it cost you to trade for one. So, have you really lost anything or have you accelerated the process to fix the problem?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
You can't make that argument without evaluating the ramifications it has to the salary cap from signing a guy when you have no leverage in the negotiation or the consideration of building an Oline with draft picks similar to what the Cowboys did. The fact that it took O'Brien that long to get anything done and screwed up the draft situation, his judgement is all of a sudden trustworthy? And calling Watson the next David Carr/Luck situation has been the most desperate use of hyperbole I've ever seen out of Texan fans to justify a poor move by management. You're reaching for the worst case scenario possible to suggest that we had to do something that was reckless and historically the highest paid fleecing ever for an offensive lineman. In reality we had that shitty offensive line last season and won the division still and had one of the longest if not the longest winning streak in the league at one point. Watson didn't die, and he went on to improve onto this season. The Doomsday scenario wasn't anywhere near likely like you guys keep trying to sell. It was just a desperate move by OB to save his job. You know it was even if you like it any way.
This depends on if you think Tunsil can develop into an All Pro LT or not. If he can then he's worth two 1st rd picks. (I consider Stills/4th to be the worth a 2nd) I dont think Devlin isn't the guy to get the best out of Tunsil and the other young guys on the OL.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Sounds like Brady the first 4 years of his career.

We saw what Matt Schaub turned out to be. We have no idea what JimmyG will be. He's gone from the Belichick way to the Shanahan way. Can't be easy.

But once he learns to read & exploit defenses... if he learns to read & exploit defenses, he can be the next Brady/Brees. Or not.

I had no problem with drafting him at the end of the 2nd, top of the third. But that's what he is & you should be able to find a comparable talent in the 2nd round. Or 3rd.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Tell me what's Jimmy G's record as starter.

He hasn't played on great teams with the 49ers.

Jimmy G is much more than a game manager. He struggled in the beginning of the yr because he's coming off an ACL. Kinda like WatJICson was at the beginning of last yr.

Lil Shanny/Jimmy G can win a championship. IMHO

Last edited:

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
They overpaid period and I've challenged you and everyone else to show me another trade scenario where some offensive lineman got traded for two first round picks and not a single one of you can come up with anything, so there is no argument to be made that he didn't over pay.
Are we talking about the same trade?

We gave up two firsts, a second, & Davenport.

We got Tunsil, Stills, & a third.

It's disingenuous to say we gave up two firsts for Tunsil.

This is not spin... this is according to the draft valuation chart. Converted to 2020 picks we gave up a 1st, a 2nd (2021 1st), a 3rd (2021 2nd), & Davenport.

We got Tunsil, Stills, & a 3rd.

Tunsil = 2020 1st
Stills = 2021 1st (value of 2020 2nd)
2020 3rd = 2021 2nd (value of 2020 3rd)
bag of stale chips = Davenport

You could argue a 2nd round pick is too much for Stills & on its own you're right.

But as a package it's not bad.

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Are we talking about the same trade?

We gave up two firsts, a second, & Davenport.

We got Tunsil, Stills, & a third.

It's disingenuous to say we gave up two firsts for Tunsil.

This is not spin... this is according to the draft valuation chart. Converted to 2020 picks we gave up a 1st, a 2nd (2021 1st), a 3rd (2021 2nd), & Davenport.

We got Tunsil, Stills, & a 3rd.

Tunsil = 2020 1st
Stills = 2021 1st (value of 2020 2nd)
2020 3rd = 2021 2nd (value of 2020 3rd)
Davenport = bag of stale chips

You could argue a 2nd round pick is too much for Stills & on its own you're right.

But as a package it's not bad.
Exactly, but the BOB is a moron crowd will never see it this way.

Last edited:

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Remember he didn't have a TC to get used to his QB
If I understand correctly, this has been an issue in the past. Maybe playing in meaningful games will fix his mindset.

I just don't think it's about snap-count recognition.

banned1976

sleeper mode
& Sua'filo is putting in meaningful minutes in Dallas.
Out of necessity, not because he earned it.

Man, I really hated that draft for us. And the two picks that bothered me the most were XSF and Tom Savage. Like you I assumed the Texans would pass on a QB in the 2017 draft because of what they did in the 2014 draft.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Out of necessity, not because he earned it.
He earned a roster spot. They could have released him before the season & it would cost them nothing.

I'm not saying you should draft OL depth with the 1st overall pick of the 2nd round.

I'm saying he ain't chopped liver & an OL with

Brown, XSF, Jones, Brooks, (2nd round pick used to draft Martin)

Could be a legit OL. Heck, put Zach Fulton at LG if you want.

We wasted what talent we had for no good reason. Granted, Brooks & Jones signed for more money than I would have given them. But that's why you negotiate with them the year before so they have the bird in the hand argument working against them. & you can structure the deal to get them the same cash in hand in a cap friendly package.

dream_team

Hall of Fame
He earned a roster spot. They could have released him before the season & it would cost them nothing.

I'm not saying you should draft OL depth with the 1st overall pick of the 2nd round.

I'm saying he ain't chopped liver & an OL with

Brown, XSF, Jones, Brooks, (2nd round pick used to draft Martin)

Could be a legit OL. Heck, put Zach Fulton at LG if you want.

We wasted what talent we had for no good reason. Granted, Brooks & Jones signed for more money than I would have given them. But that's why you negotiate with them the year before so they have the bird in the hand argument working against them. & you can structure the deal to get them the same cash in hand in a cap friendly package.
XSF has higher PFF scores than both Fulton & Max. He actually has the 10th highest pass blocking grade in the league for guards. (smaller sample size though)

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans

Texans don’t plan to hire a G.M. in 2020
Posted by Mike Florio on December 1, 2019, 10:13 AM EST

The rise of Jack Easterby continues.
Not long ago the Chiefs’ team chaplain, Easterby has climbed the stairway to the upper reaches of an NFL operation, parlaying his spot in the Texans’ supposed single-year plan to proceed without a G.M. into an indefinite gig as the team’s de facto G.M.

Ian Rapoport of the NFL reports that the Texans currently don’t plan to hire a General Manager in 2020, a reversal of their presumed prior intent to bide their time and to hire Nick Caserio away from the Patriots.
The reasons aren’t clear, especially since the team interviewed G.M. candidates before deciding to apparently wait for Caserio. The simplest explanation is that owner Cal McNair looks at the standings, sees that the team is 7-4, and believes that if it ain’t broke, don’t break it.
That’s good news for coach Bill O’Brien (who is essentially running the show) and for Easterby (who is essentially riding sidecar to O’Brien). But here’s the reality: The Texans are 7-4 largely because of the presence of quarterback Deshaun Watson, who truly is good enough to cover up plenty of other deficiencies on the roster.
So they’re winning with the current structure. The question becomes whether they’ll win as much as they should, this year or in the future, without a General Manager?
The team’s current success makes it easier to spin the G.M.-free moves positively. But questions still linger regarding the moves made as the season approached. Giving up a third-round pick for a stop-gap running back remains a significant price to pay for a position that can easily be addressed in the later rounds of the draft (or, as the Texans learned with Arian Foster, not in the draft at all). Giving up two first-round picks for tackle Laremy Tunsil and receiver Kenny Stills without signing Tunsil to a long-term deal will result in a much bigger contract for Tunsil than what he would have gotten on Labor Day weekend. (And, no, the fact that the Rams gave up two first-round picks and a fourth-round pick for Jalen Ramsey without signing him to a new deal doesn’t absolve the Texans; it separately damns the Rams.) Waiting too long to trade Jadeveon Clowney resulted in a limited haul — along with a requirement for the Texans to pay $7 million of his 2019 salary.
Immediately after moves that left the Texans without a pair of first-round picks and without more than a third-round pick to show for a dominant-when-healthy defensive player and the $7 million in cash and cap space they burned to accommodate the deal, some said (only partially jokingly) that the Texans will have a hard time finding a G.M. in 2020. Now, they won’t have to try.
And it would be foolish to ignore the possibility that the Texans have decided to tread water in order to avoid a stream of candidates saying “thanks but no thanks” given the absence of draft picks, and in light of the vague question of whether Easterby will be working under the new G.M., or vice-versa. The Fritz Pollard Alliance objected publicly to the decision to interview a pair of minority candidates last June before not filling the job; the next time the Texans launch a search for a G.M., they have to make a hire.
The key for now continues to be Watson. And the next challenge for O’Brien and Easterby will be to come up with a timeline and a negotiating strategy for extending Watson’s deal. The moment the 2019 regular season ends, the window opens on Watson’s second contract. And they’ll be dealing with the same agent who finagled Ramsey’s trade to the Rams. And they’ll have to decide whether to wait for the Chiefs to extend Patrick Mahomes‘ contract or to strike first.
Regardless, Watson has played his way into a contract at or above the current market high of $35 million in new money per year. Figuring out dollars and structure for Watson without a G.M. in the building will be a challenge, to say the least
Texans must make the moves needed to get Watson and Tunsil extended so they don't find themselves competing with NFL teams for their services.

Now, if Cal wants to play shrewd businessman.....he could do the following if he intends on letting OB stay around:

1. Market Watson after the 2019 season for what would be a significant haul of picks.
2. The Texans could put Watt on the market as well. He would return a decent pick or two.
3. If a pick in the Watson deal is inside the top 5......Texans could trade that pick for additional picks, maybe a solid RD1 pick in 2021.
4. They could also market Hopkins and Tunsil for a haul as well.

See, if Watson truly isn't the QB OB has envisioned to run his offense, then by all estimates, it's time to move on from Watson and set up a strategy for obtaining the guy OB has in mind.

I have 2 in mind that fit his mold. 2020- Justin Herbert / Oregon / 6-6 @ 237 lbs. 2021- Trevor Lawrence / Clemson / 6-6 @ 220 lbs.

5. Watson, Hopkins and Tunsil alone probably get the Texans multiple RD1 picks in both 2020 and 2021.....not to mention the additional picks. Watt probably returns 2 very solid picks as well.

6. If OB is constantly in flux of a 2-3 year rebuild......why not give him a real one to work with.

7. Sign the defensive players who are coming not contract seasons and try to keep this current unit together. They could plug holes in the draft.

8. I'd have the draft capital to make the Redskins an offer they couldn't refuse for Brandon Scherff. Lock this guy up immediately.

This would be a quick 1-2 yea rebuild if handled right.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Texans must make the moves needed to get Watson and Tunsil extended so they don't find themselves competing with NFL teams for their services.

Now, if Cal wants to play shrewd businessman.....he could do the following if he intends on letting OB stay around:

1. Market Watson after the 2019 season for what would be a significant haul of picks.
2. The Texans could put Watt on the market as well. He would return a decent pick or two.
3. If a pick in the Watson deal is inside the top 5......Texans could trade that pick for additional picks, maybe a solid RD1 pick in 2021.

See, if Watson truly isn't the QB OB has envisioned to run his offense, then by all estimates, it's time to move on from Watson and set up a strategy for obtaining the guy OB has in mind.

I have 2 in mind that fit his mold. 2020- Justin Herbert / Oregon / 6-6 @ 237 lbs. 2021- Trevor Lawrence / Clemson / 6-6 @ 220 lbs.

5. Watson, Hopkins and Tunsil alone probably get the Texans multiple RD1 picks in both 2020 and 2021.....not to mention the additional picks. Watt probably returns 2 very solid picks as well.

6. If OB is constantly in flux of a 2-3 year rebuild......why not give him a real one to work with.

7. Sign the defensive players who are coming not contract seasons and try to keep this current unit together. They could plug holes in the draft.

8. I'd have the draft capital to make the Redskins an offer they couldn't refuse for Brandon Scherff. Lock this guy up immediately.

Opt you went all the way in huh lol

TexansBull

Hall of Fame

maverick512000

Hall of Fame

:mcnugget:

So you are saying we should go in complete and full rebuild mode, trade away every player we have that might have anything close to value and then give BoB another 2-3 years, there aren’t enough good players coming out of college to do it in 1, to totally build the team as he pleases? All this after a year where we have actually had a good season so far and, on paper at least, have a real shot at a deep run?

You use the word shrewd but I don’t think it means what you think it means.