Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans Defense is terrible. Absolutely terrible!

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
I think McKinney could have a future as an edge. Atleast I would try him there and try to find a coverage LB. They're stuck with Cunningham.
Pretty much. I was hoping they move to a 4-3 and move Cunningham to Will , Mckinney to Sam and I wanted them to sign Littleton or another guy who can cover in the middle. The Texans have never had a guy who could cover in the middle of the field and that's why the secondary gets exposed. The LB cant squeeze windows in the middle of the field, giving up inside dagger routes with ease.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
The Texans have never had a guy who could cover in the middle of the field and that's why the secondary gets exposed.
I think the Texans have had a flawed sense of "coverage" for a long time imo. They seem to value tackling to prevent the big gain more than defending the pass, preventing any gain at all.

Zach is who he is, so is McKinney & Mercilus & they were rewarded for how they play.

There was one year Kjax was at the top of the league in passes defensed. Other than that, we rarely break up a catch.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Pretty much. I was hoping they move to a 4-3 and move Cunningham to Will , Mckinney to Sam and I wanted them to sign Littleton or another guy who can cover in the middle. The Texans have never had a guy who could cover in the middle of the field and that's why the secondary gets exposed. The LB cant squeeze windows in the middle of the field, giving up inside dagger routes with ease.
I was hoping for some CJ Mosley action in 2019. I'd package McKinney or Mercilus and Fuller in a heartbeat if the Jets were to have any interest. Mosley in the middle would certainly help this defense in either the 3-4 or my preferred 4-3 alignment.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
Why aren’t the great football minds talking about this dude and his pay Earl?
Good point. You would think since they are so interested in pay vs performance that they would be more vocal about the Murray, Cunningham and Mercilus contracts.
Speaking of Mercilus, how does a LB go up against a RB like Henry and the Titans running for 263 yards, and not have ONE tackle in the game?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Good point. You would think since they are so interested in pay vs performance that they would be more vocal about the Murray, Cunningham and Mercilus contracts.
Speaking of Mercilus, how does a LB go up against a RB like Henry and the Titans running for 263 yards, and not have ONE tackle in the game?
I hated those signings. Go back and look at the Chiefs/Steelers gameday threads and see what I said about Cunningham. A waste of $$$$.

Mercilus is even worse than Cunningham and I never understood what BOB saw in Murray and why Earl Thomas isn't a Texan. Murray was almost as bad as Cunningham today and Mercilus should be on a milk carton today.

Decim8

Veteran
Jeebus i totally forgot mercilus was even playing

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Why aren’t the great football minds talking about this dude and his pay Earl?

Doesn't fit the narrative does it ?!

Need more .... I can keep going.

banned1976

sleeper mode
I would be searching high and low, looking at every street FA and PS, for guys that can tackle and cover. I hate watching FB games when the defense can’t stop anybody, so frustrating
I would too while getting whatever I can for Mercilus and Cunningham. It’s too bad that the Texans are in a position now where they have to eat dead cap money but that’s what O’Brien left us with. Correction: that’s what O’Brien left the McNair’s with because they foolishly gave him the keys to the car and he wrecked it.

Mercilus and Cunningham is just where I’d start. The best to hope for is maybe middle and late round picks. Use them to try to move up the draft board. Give the Texans a future on defense they can build around. Because Watt isn’t the future anymore.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I would too while getting whatever I can for Mercilus and Cunningham. It’s too bad that the Texans are in a position now where they have to eat dead cap money but that’s what O’Brien left us with. Correction: that’s what O’Brien left the McNair’s with because they foolishly gave him the keys to the car and he wrecked it.

Mercilus and Cunningham is just where I’d start. The best to hope for is maybe middle and late round picks. Use them to try to move up the draft board. Give the Texans a future on defense they can build around. Because Watt isn’t the future anymore.
They aren't getting draft picks for Mercilus/Cunningham. They would probably have to give up draft picks to trade him. What you get out of trading them is clearing cap space. Since the Texans dont participate in top tier FA's that it would take to improve the defense it's a fruitless situation.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Doesn't fit the narrative does it ?!

Need more .... I can keep going.
Me, personally, never said you didn't.
Just not at the same rate, but not as "intense" as Steelb. :ahhaha:

Bugman7star

All Pro
This defense has been terrible at closing big games after DW4 gives us the lead at the end of the game. Seattle and New England a few seasons ago and New Orleans at the beginning of last season are a few examples. Scheme needs to change. Sure, people are going to criticize RAC for going for two, but the defense had an opportunity to make a statement. If you are a pro you would think that you want the "ball" in your hands at the end of the game. Our defense had the "ball" so to speak and they pissed themselves.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I think the offense is starting to build confidence right now and it can only mean good things.
:fans:
The offense is clearly talented though the OLines run blocking is still so very disappointing, and David Johnson is so average to make it worse.
It's beyond me how O'Brien viewed Johnson as an upgrade over Carlos Hyde ?
But the defense is just the opposite with very little talent which leaves it very vulnerable vs. a potent offense like what the Titans put on the field.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
The offense is clearly talented though the OLines run blocking is still so very disappointing, and David Johnson is so average to make it worse.
It's beyond me how O'Brien viewed Johnson as an upgrade over Carlos Hyde ?
But the defense is just the opposite with very little talent which leaves it very vulnerable vs. a potent offense like what the Titans put on the field.
Probably because the Cardinals have the room to give Hopkins an extension. Maybe it's one of Hopkins' preferred places?

BOB seems to like previous high picks that are now veterans so that he doesn't have to develop them (especially when he was known to have said that it's hard to develop players) .

It certainly looks like he was hoping that David will somehow revert back to form, how he ask people to wait and let the season unfold regarding the trades.

But, yeah, it's just crazy that they ended up spending more than they would have if they just simply extend Hopkins and resign Hyde or find another inexpensive back.
They are available out there.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Probably because the Cardinals have the room to give Hopkins an extension. Maybe it's one of Hopkins' preferred places?

BOB seems to like previous high picks that are now veterans so that he doesn't have to develop them (especially when he was known to have said that it's hard to develop players) .

It certainly looks like he was hoping that David will somehow revert back to form, how he ask people to wait and let the season unfold regarding the trades.

But, yeah, it's just crazy that they ended up spending more than they would have if they just simply extend Hopkins and resign Hyde or find another inexpensive back.
They are available out there.
There was other reasons Hopkins was traded.

Luckily the cap hit is only for this yr.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club

Com'on SteelB you are too knowledgable about the NFL to spend any of your time defending the Hopkins trade.
Ok maybe they didn't want to or couldn't pay Hopkins that's beside the point: any NFL organization with just a modicum of savvy
finds a way, some way, any way to get reasonable value for a talent of Hopkins caliber, and what they received from Arizona is
substantially below that threshold.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Com'on SteelB you are too knowledgable about the NFL to spend any of your time defending the Hopkins trade.
Ok maybe they didn't want to or couldn't pay Hopkins that's beside the point: any NFL organization with just a modicum of savvy
finds a way, some way, any way to get reasonable value for a talent of Hopkins caliber, and what they received from Arizona is
substantially below that threshold.
Like I said there were other reasons that trade was made. (Ask Corrosion by PM and he might tell you the reason behind the trade.)

I would've held onto to Hopkins and made him play out atleast this yr of his contract and hopefully get more value in a trade.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
All the Lbs from strong to weak has been terrible. Cunningham will not accelerate his feet and take a guy to the ground. He's trying to sling people down high for some reason. Scarlett on that last td, you should never give up your outside shoulder. Whitney, well, we've seen 183lb wr, hook him and Kirk Cousins beat him to the edge. The easy throws the qb gets off pressure is ridiculous. The open windows from off coverage is even more ridiculous.

Scooter

Funky
I'm not sure that Cunningham could've had a worse day. Every athlete has had games where everything you do is wrong, but 41 went the extra mile. There was a play in the 3rd or 4th quarter where he sprinted to cover the sideline pass AFTER the handoff, with obvious results.

I used to know a guy that preached that defense is won in the middle. Pass rusher on one leg Brian Cushing was the last time we saw a complete inside linebacker - able to drop into coverage without closing his eyes to turn and run like we see - and had more than enough to put a stamp on #22. We have neither coverage or smash, just "athleticism" - and when McKinney returns "a good tackler".

Corrosion (I'm learning that you're the one to ask) - why do we have a crappy runningback who can't even be successful behind the highest paid tackle ever, MORE debt, no #1 receiver, no assets, and a wealth of #3 receivers? I only ask because Hopkins and a heavier interest in FOOTBALL (I'm screaming expletives at our former coach/gm) might have helped to build the real world necessities of a franchise like nose and ILB positions.

76Texan

Hall of Fame

Whatever the reason, it still doesn't show well for the HC nor the GM.
You (the HC) has this guy (Hopkins) since 2014, he should know how to handle the situation much earlier to get value back.
If he doesn't adhere to practice rules to your liking; he should have been gone long ago. You play with a two-end knife, you have nobody else to blame but yourself.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Like I said there were other reasons that trade was made. (Ask Corrosion by PM and he might tell you the reason behind the trade.)

I would've held onto to Hopkins and made him play out atleast this yr of his contract and hopefully get more value in a trade.
So maybe if you PM me you might tell me this info that Corrosion seems to have shared with you ?

dream_team

Hall of Fame
Here again. 3rd and 12. Deep in Titans' territory. Get a simple stop and you flip the field for your offense. Missed tackles and the all too familiar shoulder grab by Cunningham.

This play irk'd me the most from yesterday, even more than the 95 yard TD. Not only did they not get the stop, but Titans eventually score a TD on this series.

banned1976

sleeper mode
So maybe if you PM me you might tell me this info that Corrosion seems to have shared with you ?
I know what it is and it has nothing to do with the defense.

One receiver, regardless of how good he is is easier to replace than an entire defense. Chase Claypool was taken in the second round in this past draft. Meanwhile, these are some of your Texans starters on defense (as listed on Pro Football Reference):

DE (opposite JJ) Charles Omenihu and Carlos Watkins - they have recorded 9 tackles this season between them. 3 combined sacks. Watt has 3 sacks.
LB Whitney Mercilus - didn't record a stat yesterday. Not the first time this year but he's started all 6 games.
NT Brandon Dunn - 14 total (assisted and solo) tackles. The Texans has absolutely been gouged up the middle.
Brennan Scarlett has started 3 games. He's a ST's player and a deep depth LB.

Eric Murray has started all 6 games. He was their BIG acquisition for the secondary this year.
Vernon Hargreaves.
Reid and Cunningham have both regressed.

Lonnie Johnson hasn't started a game but he's out there plenty and gets burned often.

The Texans defense ranks 30th against the pass. They have 1 interception all year. They have given up the most yards on the ground, 1,065. The next closest to them in that category is Jacksonville at 863 yards. They don't do the fundamentals correctly. It's really, really bad.