Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2020 TRAINING CAMP NOTES

I saw 9-7/10-6 last yr and see pretty much the same this yr. We've been pretty much in agreement with how their seasons would turn out. You had 12-4 last yr (You should've been right.) This yr I think your W total is going to be low, because I think somebody (I dont know who) is going to be a run stopper in the middle, or I could see a mid season trade for a NT. I also think the offense is going to be much more well rounded. But this team goes as far as DW4 takes them.

I'm not at all worried about the offense , they'll score well enough .... but defensively , a NT is just the beginning of their worries and they did sign that dude cut by the Raiders.

Nobody on the roster can cover a TE ... or a RB for that matter. I can't think of a worse pair of LBers than McKinney and Cunningham against the pass.

The secondary hasn't improved and was 29th last year.

The pass rush was poor and expecting 2nd / 3rd round rookies to come in and contribute at a high level is asking a bit much.

I'm not at all worried about the offense , they'll score well enough .... but defensively , a NT is just the beginning of their worries and they did sign that dude cut by the Raiders.

Nobody on the roster can cover a TE ... or a RB for that matter. I can't think of a worse pair of LBers than McKinney and Cunningham against the pass.

The pass rush was poor and expecting 2nd / 3rd round rookies to come in and contribute at a high level is asking a bit much.
This is where I’m at. Offensively we will figure it out. DW4 will make sure of it.
Defensively though, ugh, we’re in trouble.

Last edited:

Hopefully Murray can cover the TE. It's what he was brought here to do. Cole is supposed to be their coverage LB. I don't think he will ever stay healthy though.

I'm also hoping Martin improves and Watt stays healthy. ( Unlikely)

Hopefully Murray can cover the TE. It's what he was brought here to do. Cole is supposed to be their coverage LB. I don't think he will ever stay healthy though.

I'm also hoping Martin improves and Watt stays healthy. ( Unlikely)
While I hope the defense does well, assuming Weaver can scheme them to better utilize their strengths, I won’t hold my breath. I am expecting to see something good from Nick Martin though. He had his good moments last season, but they came far less often than his not so good. The good thing is that all 5 guys will be returning to protect Watson. They should pick up where they left off before Howard went down.

I am less worried about the offense than I am the defense. Because I'm not convinced David Johnson will improve enough to make him at least as productive as Hyde and I don't know if the durability concerns at the WR position will come to fruition. But yeah, the defense was bad last year and they didn't improve that unit in any measurable way during the offseason.

All that being said, I feel the Texans will be in the range of 4 to 11 wins. I know that's a large gap, but the Texans are probably one of the, if not the most unpredictable team in the NFL going into this season.

I'd like to see what Weaver's gonna do with the defense before i start casting doubt. My thoughts are a modest uptick in aggressiveness from Crennel's bend and break defense could prove to offset any decent sized holes and issues with the rooks on that side of the ball. The other part to that is our offense. If they prove to be as good as I think they might be, it could force some teams to become 1 dimensional, which again benefits the rooks on defense b/c that more or less puts them in "see ball, go get ball mode" and makes the game a bit easier for them....This was a tenet of Wade Phillips' defenses which is why they're always so good the 1st year & then fall off thereafter.

This is where I’m at. Offensively we will figure it out. DW4 will make sure of it.
Defensively though, ugh, we’re in trouble.

Watson's good for a handful of big plays every game - even if the offense isn't consistent or able string together drives , they are gonna put up ~17-24 against just about any defense. They'll have some better weeks too .… but I don't think its very realistic to expect them to be significantly more productive than last years team when the talent level went lower with DHop's exit and the fact that neither of those RB's really fit the mold of OB's run it between the tackles profile.
Another thing is that I heard they want to limit the number of times Watson carries the ball. Thing is the vast majority of those carries come from A) broken plays / scrambling and B) the RPO that they run up the gut the overwhelming majority of the time as it is - Often against the principal of the play's design - into a numbers disadvantage.
What that sounds like to me is they are gonna continue to force that square peg into the round hole - Watson standing in the pocket rather than taking advantage of his strengths which is at its best when he's outside the pocket.
Nothing has really changed …. other than the name of the dude calling the run between the tackles.

I just doubt their offensive output is going to be enough because of how bad that defense is.

I am less worried about the offense than I am the defense. Because I'm not convinced David Johnson will improve enough to make him at least as productive as Hyde and I don't know if the durability concerns at the WR position will come to fruition. But yeah, the defense was bad last year and they didn't improve that unit in any measurable way during the offseason.

All that being said, I feel the Texans will be in the range of 4 to 11 wins. I know that's a large gap, but the Texans are probably one of the, if not the most unpredictable team in the NFL going into this season.

I'm thinking more along the lines of 4-6 wins - the schedule is just brutal early and both the Colts and Titans got better while the Texans , at least to me went sideways at best.

Texans top draft pick Ross Blacklock as advertised so far
Aaron Wilson Aug. 18, 2020

As a rookie still learning the ropes of the NFL game, Texans defensive tackle Ross BlacklocK fits into the good kind of disruptive category.

Because of his rare combination of strength, power, quickness and aggressiveness, Blacklock is extremely difficult for blockers to overpower or chase down.

Although the Texans are just four days into their fully padded portion of training camp, the defending AFC South champions' top draft pick is making a fast impression. Blacklock plays with sound pad level and is adept at slipping blocks.

The second-round draft pick is attentive to details and hustles. There's no need for them to coach the Elkins graduate's effort level.

THE REST OF THE STORY

The defense isn't bursting with talent they have no pass rush and a suspect secondary. I don't know if there is much any DC can do to overcome that issue.

The offense puts up numbers, but we see they go through huge droughts where they stall out and aren't productive now you have 2 WR's you are depending on who have health concerns. Fuller has been injured pretty much every year of his career and Cooks has those concerns with all the concussions which we know the next one could be career ending or he might come back ok you just never know when it comes to head injuries.

The running game is a concern because Johnson hasn't been good since 2016 and Duke has never been an every down back.

The issue with Watson is he hasn’t had an elite level performance in the playoffs. If it (a sub-par performance) happens again, I feel like he’s going to receive a heavy dose of (fair) criticism; a label of not being a big game quarterback.
If Watson fails to put up points due to him being inaccurate, he will get his due criticism. But if it’s the defense (as it’s pretty much been since 2017) that can’t get a stop when it matters most, then Watson’s name will be cleared. O’Brien has sat in his hands for the past 3 years when it comes to upgrading the defense so the results should not come as a surprise.

If Watson fails to put up points due to him being inaccurate, he will get his due criticism. But if it’s the defense (as it’s pretty much been since 2017) that can’t get a stop when it matters most, then Watson’s name will be cleared. O’Brien has sat in his hands for the past 3 years when it comes to upgrading the defense so the results should not come as a surprise.

You know the 1st part of this post won't happen.

Example: Chiefs playoff game.

Texans working out former UH punter Dane Roy, six others
Aaron Wilson Aug. 20, 2020 Updated: Aug. 20, 2020 5:59 p.m.

The Texans are working out former University of Houston punter Dane Roy, according to a league source not authorized to speak publicly.

Roy and six other players are in town for COVID-19 testing in advance of a Saturday audition.

The Australia native was a finalist for the Ray Guy Award last season and named first-team all-conference. He averaged 46.9 yards per punt, setting a single-season school record.
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/te...r-Keion-Crossen-a-ball-of-energy-15494989.php
The Texans are also going to work out veteran linebacker Daren Bates, running back Tyler Gaffney, long snappers Carson Tinker, Anthony Kukwa, who was released at the start of training camp, and Andrew DePaola, and linebacker Christian Kunz.

“When you look at your team, based on injuries maybe or just based on a lack of depth, maybe we need to look at a few guys that are out on the street that we know are good football players, that we know are good guys and not pains in the asses, guys that are good guys that can maybe come in and help us win,” Bill O’Brien said. “That’s something we talked about every day and we say, OK, if we’re going to do it we’ve got to get the guy in now because he has to test for four days or whatever, three negatives before he can even take a physical and work out or even meet with us or even come in the building.

Sat on his hands? He's been busy trying to put most of his efforts into Watson, supplying him with needed ammunition (WRs and TEs and RBs) and protection (Oline and TEs and RBs). The defense has a good mix of vet and rookie promise this season. There is a fresh mind leading them. Unlike what some may think, the future has much much more than just a mere glimmer of hope.

Sat on his hands? He's been busy trying to put most of his efforts into Watson, supplying him with needed ammunition (WRs and TEs and RBs) and protection (Oline and TEs and RBs). The defense has a good mix of vet and rookie promise this season. There is a fresh mind leading them. Unlike what some may think, the future has much much more than just a mere glimmer of hope.
I respect your opinion, but as of right now I disagree. There is nothing on the defensive side that leads me to believe we’re on the right track. I’ll be rooting for the team nonetheless.

The issue with Watson is he hasn’t had an elite level performance in the playoffs. If it (a sub-par performance) happens again, I feel like he’s going to receive a heavy dose of (fair) criticism; a label of not being a big game quarterback.

Disagree. He played damn well against the chiefs in the playoffs last year. Not his fault the defense couldn't stop ****.

The Texans are also going to work out veteran linebacker Daren Bates, running back Tyler Gaffney, long snappers Carson Tinker, Anthony Kukwa, who was released at the start of training camp, and Andrew DePaola, and linebacker Christian Kunz.

That's a lot of long snappers. Waste of bodies if you ask me, because Weeks is MONEY!!!

Gillaspia is dealing with a hamstring and is working on the side.

Gaines remains limited with an ankle injury. The team says that he is getting closer to practicing.

Our new DT P.J. Hall hasn't started practicing since joining the team because the O'Brien wants him to get into better shape first before they can properly evaluate him.

Some Q & A re. our WRs from McClain's Mailbag:

Q:
I heard you comparing Fuller and Cooks on Sports Radio 610. I think you were asked if both stay healthy who do you think will have the better season. Is that right? So, who’ll have the better season if they stay healthy for at least 14 games? – Curtis M.

A: I pointed out, Curtis, Cooks had four consecutive 1,000-yard seasons in his first six years. The most yards Fuller has had were last season (670). If both stay relatively healthy, I think Cooks will have more yards because he’s had a lot more success. Fuller has the advantage of playing with Deshaun Watson for a fourth year, and that familiarity should be advantageous.
Q: How are the Texans receivers doing in this training camp? I hope to see a productive year from Keke Coutee and those huge tight ends. – Ronald J.

A: I agree on the tight ends, Ronald. They’ve been exceptional in training camp. I’m not so sure about Coutee. Barring injury to one of the big four – Fuller, Cooks, Cobb and Stills – I don’t see him getting a lot of playing time. He might help them more if he can win the return job over DeAndre Carter. I do want to see what Coutee can do when Deshaun Watson gets him the ball. The problem is they’ve got a lot of talent, especially, speed at receiver and only one ball for Watson to throw.

Q: Do you think Keke Coutee can win the return job over DeAndre Carter? Also, if you could give some of your thoughts about the late great UH Coach Bill Yeoman. – Rick T.

A: I think he can, Rick, but he has to stay healthy. It’s hard to beat out a player with no preseason games to show what he can do. Coutee is getting a lot of opportunities to compete with Carter for the job. Randall Cobb, who can return punts if they need him for that role, is catching some in practice, too. As for Yeoman, one of the all-time greats. I know he’s going to be missed by many, especially longtime UH fans like you and your father.

Watson has 3 playoff games under his belt. In 2018, the Texans lost 21-7. He wasn’t good in that game. This past postseason he was good but not great in two games. As the defense regresses it’s up to Watson to elevate his teammates on offense. There was a spark of that in the second half of the Buffalo game but it wasn’t enough to light a fire.

Now more than ever the Texans need Watson to play great consistently.

They are worried about his ankle. Just looking at "Just in case" scenario. Long snapping is an art (very different than snapping to a shotgun). If you've watched games of many teams who have lost their long snappers...............$#*! tends to happen.
I was not aware that Money Weeks had an issue with the ankle. If they were to go away from Weeks, whoever wins the long snapper job better get with Kaimi lickity split to start gaining that trust factor. Nothing like a kicker getting negative thoughts in his head.

I respect your opinion, but as of right now I disagree. There is nothing on the defensive side that leads me to believe we’re on the right track. I’ll be rooting for the team nonetheless.
I'm hoping that our defense will one day improve in tackling. Pressure and coverage can be somewhat enhanced by schemes, but this team has been notorious at tackling for many years.

Disagree. He played damn well against the chiefs in the playoffs last year. Not his fault the defense couldn't stop ****.

That's not exactly true .... He and the offense were responsible for a whopping 14 points in that game - The defense & special teams were responsible for 17 points.

Watson was just as bad as the rest of the team in that game - They all stunk the joint up.

That's a lot of long snappers. Waste of bodies if you ask me, because Weeks is MONEY!!!

Probably just insurance in case Weeks comes down with the Covid.

This part - - made me laugh ....

we know are good guys and not pains in the asses

They don't have to be good football players , just good guys , not a pain in the ass .... bye DHop.

That's not exactly true .... He and the offense were responsible for a whopping 14 points in that game - The defense & special teams were responsible for 17 points.

Watson was just as bad as the rest of the team in that game - They all stunk the joint up.

lol, you’re basically saying that b/c the offense didn’t put up 52 pts to beat the chiefs that DW4 sucked...in which case that’s a ridiculous assertion.

288 yds 2 TDs... 40 rush yards and 1 TD and no TO’s isn’t bad play from your qb bro. That’s about as good a performance as you can expect in any given game from your qb, playoffs or not.

& no matter how they got up there, 31 pts is 31 pts and should be enough to win 90% of games. We didn’t lose b/c of bad qb play or b/c the qb was an ineffective passer or couldn’t stop turning the ball over. We lost b/c the defense literally couldn’t stop the opposition.

Probably just insurance in case Weeks comes down with the Covid.

This part - - made me laugh ....

They don't have to be good football players , just good guys , not a pain in the ass .... bye DHop.

Watson : 388 yards, 2 touchdowns passing ( no interceptions)

Rushing for 36 yards and a touchdown.

I would not consider that a bad game.

The main problem was we couldn’t run the ball like we did against them in the regular season. Bill O’Brien kept trying to run the ball even after we got down a few touchdowns. That’s when he should’ve went all out air attack. But hey it’s water underneath the bridge.

lol, you’re basically saying that b/c the offense didn’t put up 52 pts to beat the chiefs that DW4 sucked...in which case that’s a ridiculous assertion.

288 yds 2 TDs... 40 rush yards and 1 TD and no TO’s isn’t bad play from your qb bro. That’s about as good a performance as you can expect in any given game from your qb, playoffs or not.

& no matter how they got up there, 31 pts is 31 pts and should be enough to win 90% of games. We didn’t lose b/c of bad qb play or b/c the qb was an ineffective passer or couldn’t stop turning the ball over. We lost b/c the defense literally couldn’t stop the opposition.

Correction: he threw for 388

O’Brien has sat in his hands for the past 3 years when it comes to upgrading the defense so the results should not come as a surprise.
Defense players lost in FA or trade under GM O'Brien
Tyrann Mathieu
Jadeveon Clowney
Kareem Jackson
Johnathan Joseph
DJ Reader

Defense players gained in FA or trade under GM O'Brien
Bradley Roby
Gareon Conley
Vernon Hargreaves
Jacob Martin
Eric Murray

You be the judge.

Defense players lost in FA or trade under GM O'Brien
Tyrann Mathieu
Jadeveon Clowney
Kareem Jackson
Johnathan Joseph
DJ Reader

Defense players gained in FA or trade under GM O'Brien
Bradley Roby
Gareon Conley
Vernon Hargreaves
Jacob Martin
Eric Murray

You be the judge.

Looks like practices are about to be off the chain!! Too bad actual game days won’t be.

Back