Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2020 TRAINING CAMP NOTES

Watt practiced for the first time since Aug 10.......in shells. The Texans insist that they are managing his load.
I figured Watt would start hitting it two weeks out or so, gives the body rest and time to look at rookies and younger guys get reps like Charles O, with just ebough time for JJ to be football ready. Makes sense, as to how they are getting each person ready and the team. Found it interesting they track everyone's GPS and know their load, thus Keke got some time off, and they clocked AJ Moore at 21mph on a kickoff etc. Feels very much like Easterby has brought some next level tech to the party.

I figured Watt would start hitting it two weeks out or so, gives the body rest and time to look at rookies and younger guys get reps like Charles O, with just ebough time for JJ to be football ready. Makes sense, as to how they are getting each person ready and the team. Found it interesting they track everyone's GPS and know their load, thus Keke got some time off, and they clocked AJ Moore at 21mph on a kickoff etc. Feels very much like Easterby has brought some next level tech to the party.
With the type of injuries Watt has sustained, his body will not be significantly tested even at 11 on 11 intra squad practices.................his test will only really begin with regular season hard-hitting games. Saving himself by minimizing his load in TC will have potential downsides. His body will not be fully prepared to take an acute ramp up of play intensity His endurance to this change of intensity likely will shorten the time to muscle fatigue, increasing his risk of injury. And in the end, with the presentation of the reality of the sudden uptick of trauma to his body which he is bound to experience when there is no holds barred hitting and competition when the season opens, it will be at this time where his greatest risk for injury will raise its ugly head...............entirely independent of how much his load in TC was managed/minimized.

Watt practiced for the first time since Aug 10.......in shells. The Texans insist that they are managing his load.
I haven't been on here a lot lately, but what causes you to potentially think otherwise, regarding the Texans reportedly managing Watt's work load?

610 radio this morning report from TC:
Deandre Carter drops fumble return right in front of Bill. Also Nick Martin, drill on goal line with no time outs, false start. "Everyone really angry". Suggested Carter may be getting on O'Brien's doghouse.

610 radio this morning report from TC:
Deandre Carter drops fumble return right in front of Bill. Also Nick Martin, drill on goal line with no time outs, false start. "Everyone really angry". Suggested Carter may be getting on O'Brien's doghouse.
The Texans and everybody else, and that's all 31 other teams are gonna produce some really sloppy and mistake prone football for several weeks in the early stages of 2020. With no preseason games, and not even inter team practices including scrimmages that we've had annually for several years now, there's so little preparation for RS games going into September the play will be very raw.

With the drop, that should help Keke Qt. They are competing for the returner job. Not sure who I would pull for to win it.

Jon Greenard, Keke Coutee, Cullen Gillaspia, Phillip Gaines, Isaiah Coulter did not practice yesterday.
Anyone else feel Keke is being held out because a trade is being discussed? I can see some time off, but dude needs to beat out Carter I think, so you would suspect he would get more reps. Due to his 10 catch games some coaches would take a chance on him for a 4th or 5th rounder?

Anyone else feel Keke is being held out because a trade is being discussed? I can see some time off, but dude needs to beat out Carter I think, so you would suspect he would get more reps. Due to his 10 catch games some coaches would take a chance on him for a 4th or 5th rounder?

Badboy?

Keke has a minor stress fracture in his foot.

The Texans and everybody else, and that's all 31 other teams are gonna produce some really sloppy and mistake prone football for several weeks in the early stages of 2020. With no preseason games, and not even inter team practices including scrimmages that we've had annually for several years now, there's so little preparation for RS games going into September the play will be very raw.
Yep on a brighter note we should see some changes in years ahead like fewer preseason games and perhaps roster number changes. Maybe players using Lysol on their hands if it is not "sticky".

Weaver said Zach Cunningham and Justin Reid have also stood out through start of training camp as far as players who have impressed. Anthony Weaver on Pro Bowl alternate inside linebacker Zach Cunningham 'He makes plays that leaves your head shaking a little bit, like 'How did he make that play?' Anthony Weaver praised rookie corner John Reid maturity and readiness as a first-year player who keeps getting better and works hard
Anthony Weaver on Lonnie Johnson 'We're expecting to see a jump from him. We're looking forward to Lonnie having a good year and playing multiple spots for our defense'
Anthony Weaver on safety 'A.J. Moore will absolutely have a role, major contributor on special teams. On defense, there's a place for him. He brings juice to the defense'
Anthony Weaver on Charles Omenihu 'He's becoming a more confident player. That comes with age and maturity. He's kind of come into his own a little bit. He is certainly not a guy that lacks for confidence'

Texans offensive coordinator Tim Kelly on rookie guard and Houston native Cordel Iwuagwu 'He's a powerful guy' Team is pleased with what he's done so far.
Tim Kelly on Jordan Akins: 'Jordan has become a more consistent player. Has come in every day and made a big play a day for us'. Tim Kelly on Jordan Thomas and Kahale Warring: 'Both skilled at catching the football. Really strong hands do a good job of attacking the football. Both have made some big plays in the last couple of days'
Kelly: Been great having T.J. Yates in QB room w/us as an assistant. He focuses on fundamentals/techniques that go along with playing the position. Been a very big help.
Tim Kelly on potentially keeping three quarterbacks, including Alex McGough, says Bill O'Brien and Jack Easterby 'have a plan for everything'

Texans’ Whitney Mercilus wants to be usual disruptive self

Aaron Wilson Aug. 26, 2020 Updated: Aug. 26, 2020 7:26 p.m.

After a 7½-sack season in 2019, Texans linebacker Whitney Mercilus received a four-year, $54 million contract extension.
Photo: Brett Coomer, Houston Chronicle / Staff photographer
For nine years, Whitney Mercilus’ trademark pass rushing moves have spelled trouble and a significant amount of pain for NFL quarterbacks.

The Texans’ veteran outside linebacker drills and disrupts QBs, utilizing spin moves, swim moves, bull rushes and chops to escape blocks.

Mercilus’ methods and staying power have allowed the former first-round draft pick from Illinois to record 50 career sacks, 105 quarterback hits and 13 forced fumbles.

That kind of ability to finish allowed Mercilus to get off to an extremely fast start last season. In the first eight games, he totaled 5½ sacks and four forced fumbles.

After defensive end J.J. Watt tore his pectoral against the Raiders, Mercilus’ production dipped during the final eight games of the regular season.

He finished with a team-high 7½ sacks, including two in a key December road win over the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. However, Mercilus went through seven games without a sack as offenses adjusted their blocking schemes to pay extra attention to him during Watt’s absence.

THE REST OF THE STORY

From the link above:

Vernon Hargreaves and P.J. Hall were both standouts on the first and second teams respectively, with Hargreaves sacking McCarron for a loss and forcing a three-and-out on the second team's opening drive, and Hall flying through the line to wrestle down Watson in the backfield for a sack of his own.
I think the scrimmage is great, but I don't like the defense actually putting hits on their own QBs. Red jerseys, please.

From the link above:

I think the scrimmage is great, but I don't like the defense actually putting hits on their own QBs. Red jerseys, please.

According to the Houston Chronicle, this scrimmage didn't include the hits.

"For the first time in training camp, the Texans went inside NRG Stadium for a scrimmage that didn’t include hitting and taking players to the ground."

Back