Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans Defense is terrible. Absolutely terrible!

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
meh, your perception of "echoing" is just a consensus reached by a majority of dudes that have watched football for years.

"Same **** every year with you guys" is the direct result of same **** every year with this franchise.

I know that you'd most likely prefer the conformity of everyone being shiny happy fans, but folks have a right to their perspectives regardless of how much it seems to upset you.

Ultimately, almost nobody wants a barely-above mediocre franchise and everyone wants the same thing in the end.

As far as radio, perhaps Marc Vandermeer and his enthusiastic pom pom waving is better suited for your listening pleasure.
Ehh, BS DB don’t try to make this like its about me and my want for “Pom Pom” waving. I’ve got no problems with being critical of the team b/c I’ve been watching football just as long as many folks on this board and present for all the football failure of the the Oilers too. What I’m referring to is the Houston front running fan “perspective” and it’s not limited to BoB’s version of the Texans...or the Texans period. It’s the Astros and Rockets too. Those fans that believe everything about our teams suck and short of us having the best players at every position, they are perpetually waiting for the other shoe to drop.
Those unable to shake the failures of past teams..and come off as if they’re rooting for failure b/c “it’s better radio When they lose”. Those idiots have actually said that and as I said they pander to the fans that espouse that. No back and forth dialogue hardly at all.

I don’t even listen to Vandermeer or any of those players shows except Trap and Wade Smith b/c you don’t get anything from those shows either. What I want...what I’ve ALWAYS wanted was serious sports talk about our teams...not hear or read a bunch of fricking whining about how we’re gonna get our ass kicked by our next opponent. “This is why we suck...” are basically what these shows have turned into.

there are bright spots though. Stoerner does a pretty good job of balancing things out..beyond that...garbage.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Ehh, BS DB don’t try to make this like its about me and my want for “Pom Pom” waving. I’ve got no problems with being critical of the team b/c I’ve been watching football just as long as many folks on this board and present for all the football failure of the the Oilers too. What I’m referring to is the Houston front running fan “perspective” and it’s not limited to BoB’s version of the Texans...or the Texans period. It’s the Astros and Rockets too. Those fans that believe everything about our teams suck and short of us having the best players at every position, they are perpetually waiting for the other shoe to drop.
Those unable to shake the failures of past teams..and come off as if they’re rooting for failure b/c “it’s better radio When they lose”. Those idiots have actually said that and as I said they pander to the fans that espouse that. No back and forth dialogue hardly at all.

I don’t even listen to Vandermeer or any of those players shows except Trap and Wade Smith b/c you don’t get anything from those shows either. What I want...what I’ve ALWAYS wanted was serious sports talk about our teams...not hear or read a bunch of fricking whining about how we’re gonna get our ass kicked by our next opponent. “This is why we suck...” are basically what these shows have turned into.

there are bright spots though. Stoerner does a pretty good job of balancing things out..beyond that...garbage.
Calling it as it is?

The Texans played like crap and received a beat down.
That's on the HC.
It's simple as that.

O'Brien has been here too long to get any sympathy.

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
I personally don't believe all the rest are garbage. I enjoy Lopez/Locker and Payne/Pendergast. But I definitely agree that Clint brings a strong flavor to local am sports talk. He gets sh*tted on pretty heavily and I'm not really sure why. He's fair, he's honest, he's composed, he's fun, he's got experience in an nfl qb room, he's local.. maybe it's the accent or having been a Cowboy, idk, why ever he's hated i don't exactly get it. Probably jealousy.. but i just know I have a good drive home with him most afternoons breaking down the Texans.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Calling it as it is?

The Texans played like crap and received a beat down.
That's on the HC.
It's simple as that.

O'Brien has been here too long to get any sympathy.
is that what you think this was about? “Sympathy” for BoB? Give me a break. Yes, they played like garbage. Yes they caught a beat down. Yes it was pretty much expected. But to act like there’s no rom for improvement from that and/or it’s the only thing that can be discussEd is laughable. THAT is the issue with Houston sports radio...So eager to show that they’re not “drinking koolaid” that they go overboard the other way.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
I personally don't believe all the rest are garbage. I enjoy Lopez/Locker and Payne/Pendergast. But I definitely agree that Clint brings a strong flavor to local am sports talk. He gets sh*tted on pretty heavily and I'm not really sure why. He's fair, he's honest, he's composed, he's fun, he's got experience in an nfl qb room, he's local.. maybe it's the accent or having been a Cowboy, idk, why ever he's hated i don't exactly get it. Probably jealousy.. but i just know I have a good drive home with him most afternoons breaking down the Texans.
Payne and Pendergast are ok.. when Payne’s not trying too hard to be funny man and he just analyzes. I actually like ND Kalu too when I get to hear him..his segment is too short and I’d take another hour of him over Lopez/Locker who to me are quite quite possibly the worst. I see why they have the slot they have..

Anytime I’m in the car and I accidentally have it on 790, instant flip to 97.5 where Palillo and Blank are ...ok together. You can tell Charlie get annoyed with Blank though..especially when they talk baseball. When Charlie leaves...Blank by himself with that other dude..doo doo.

Stoerner has a great breakdown of the game today after watching the All-22, that pretty much lines up with what I saw. afterwards they had Payne on and he gave a nice summary of what he saw from the defense as well. Really good segment.

Last edited:

mws

Rookie
Historically speaking the Texans do have a chance of turning this around. They are 2-5 .285 in the opening game under Billy O so this is pretty much par for the course. Of course the tougher our division gets the harder the turn arounds become.

Regular Season Record
Division: 23-13 .639
AFC not in Division: 19-18 .514
NFC: 10-14 .417

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Yeah yeah you and most everybody else do a good job of echoing each others’ sentiments about how horrible they think the team is and that there’s no hope etc. etc. Same **** every year with you guys. No fair or impartiality whatsoever...the gut reaction is what it is.

The worst is how sports radio around here panders to you types.

I wouldn't call your statement far at all ....

I'm down on the team this year , think there is a good chance they end up last in the division ....

Last year I said I expected 12-4 or better and a top 2 seed. I was one of the few who had such high expectations ....

When you have holes at every level of the defense , let your anchor walk and don't have draft ammunition to fill the holes this is what you get.

When you trade the #1 WR in the game for a guy who doesn't move the needle .... this is what you get

This coach sucks , this roster sucks. They'll be lucky to finish 5-11.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

I'm down on the team this year , think there is a good chance they end up last in the division ....

Last year I said I expected 12-4 or better and a top 2 seed. I was one of the few who had such high expectations ....

When you have holes at every level of the defense , let your anchor walk and don't have draft ammunition to fill the holes this is what you get.

When you trade the #1 WR in the game for a guy who doesn't move the needle .... this is what you get

The anchor you speak of is getting his butt kicked by #77 on the Browns tonight, in the qtr I watched while waiting on my food.

Another guy just got robbed of a hole in 1.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame

We had the #1 WR in the game for years under 2 different coaching regimes with AJ and Nuk. What the hell has it gotten us over the last 20 years? If you’ve learned nothing from having AJ..having JJ...having Nuk it’s that having 1 dominant guy doesn’t move the needle that much either.

Every team in the league has holes on every level...yes even the chiefs. What it comes down to....what it has ALWAYS come down to in this game is who can improve the most over the course of a season and sustain that improvement...And who can get hot at the right time. No team is fielding a team full of all pros.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
The anchor you speak of is getting his butt kicked by #77 on the Browns tonight, in the qtr I watched while waiting on my food.

Another guy just got robbed of a hole in 1.
yup, Chubb is averaging damn near 5 a carry..and we had Reader last year..how did that help us against KC or Baltimore last year? It’s stupid for these guys to assert that the absence of 1 guy that’s not a QB had that much impact on our defense when we really weren’t that good last year either.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
is that what you think this was about? “Sympathy” for BoB? Give me a break. Yes, they played like garbage. Yes they caught a beat down. Yes it was pretty much expected. But to act like there’s no rom for improvement from that and/or it’s the only thing that can be discussEd is laughable. THAT is the issue with Houston sports radio...So eager to show that they’re not “drinking koolaid” that they go overboard the other way.
Yeah, there are plenty of rooms for improvement, and plenty of time to do it, too.
Four more years. :corrosion:

76Texan

Hall of Fame
yeah they do have room for improvement...Atkins nor Daniels played last night...which goes to show you guys that Reader wasn’t some 1 man force in the run game for us last year that kept us afloat.
4 solo tackles and 7 assists in 2 games.
That's better than his output with the Texans last year.

And No, very few players can be called a one-man force against the run game in the entire history of the NFL, so i don't see how you can even come up with that stuff.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Yeah just like Keenum’s still got time to turn into a starting caliber qb on his now 6th new team....
What does that have to do with anything?
You're just getting personal that is all.

I definitely never claimed Keenum to be a bonafide starting QB in the NFL.

But he did start more games than many QBs drafted in the first round and has got the money in the bank to prove it, too.

Don't be bitter about it.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
4 solo tackles and 7 assists in 2 games.
That's better than his output with the Texans last year.

And No, very few players can be called a one-man force against the run game in the entire history of the NFL, so i don't see how you can even come up with that stuff.
In the qtr I watched last night he got his a** handed to him by #77. Over 200 yds says all you need to know if you're being objective and not just using stats to support your agenda.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
In the qtr I watched last night he got his a** handed to him by #77. Over 200 yds says all you need to know if you're being objective and not just using stats to support your agenda.
I don't see it here either.
And these are highlight reels on Mayfield and Chubb.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Yeah just like Keenum’s still got time to turn into a starting caliber qb on his now 6th new team....
Keenum: Championship game 1
O'Brien: None

Keenum's playoffs record: 1-1
O'Brien's: 2-4 (including a win against a garbage team)

Keenum also saved O'Brien's arse with two wins in 2014.

:brando: :thinking:

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
What does that have to do with anything?
You're just getting personal that is all.

I definitely never claimed Keenum to be a bonafide starting QB in the NFL.

But he did start more games than many QBs drafted in the first round and has got the money in the bank to prove it, too.

Don't be bitter about it.
Lol noone’s bitter about Keenum’s money in the bank lol. As a fellow Coog, I’m actually happy for him. And yes you did try to argue that he was starter material in numerous threads and when you were confronted with all the evidence from numerous posters here, you packed up your ball and went home.

Fact is you are notorious for not being objective...especially when it comes to your “analysis”.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Keenum: Championship game 1
O'Brien: None

Keenum's playoffs record: 1-1
O'Brien's: 2-4 (including a win against a garbage team)

Keenum also saved O'Brien's arse with two wins in 2014.

:brando: :thinking:
Lol, it’s laughable that u think Keenum’s did anything for BoB with 2 wins...but that’s par for the course with you and if anything BoB saves Keenum’s career who was sitting up in a deer blind and out of football prior to Bob giving him a call back to the league...lol..but you got it...

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Lol noone’s bitter about Keenum’s money in the bank lol. As a fellow Coog, I’m actually happy for him. And yes you did try to argue that he was starter material in numerous threads and when you were confronted with all the evidence from numerous posters here, you packed up your ball and went home.

Fact is you are notorious for not being objective...especially when it comes to your “analysis”.
Got proof?

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Lol, it’s laughable that u think Keenum’s did anything for BoB with 2 wins...but that’s par for the course with you and if anything BoB saves Keenum’s career who was sitting up in a deer blind and out of football prior to Bob giving him a call back to the league...lol..but you got it...
All you were interested in are numbers.
You can't have the cake and eat it, too.

But you seem to be doing a lot of that.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Don't bother to find proof 'cause you won't find any.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
There isn't a QB in the league that O'Brien can save.
His scheme is just bad.

Also, you want to remember that the Rams always kept Keenum under their nose.
He did not have TC with them in 2014 and needed time to learn the playbook.
What they did a couple of years later was to give Keenum a first round tender so that Kubiak and the Broncos couldn't poach him off their roster once he finally did have time to learn their offense.
And Keenum did knock Foles (a first round draft pick) from the starting position role.

And yes, the Broncos did give him a good offer to become starting QB for them a couple of years later.

At that time, I came on the Broncos board to remind some of the posters there not to have too high of a hope; that the Broncos are still a few years away.
Also, their spending on the defensive side was 7th in the league, and 28th on offense.
Not only that, they spent their first round pick on that pass rusher and not Quentin Nelson.
(And Boles will still by abysmal at LT).

Last edited:

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
There isn't a QB in the league that O'Brien can save.
His scheme is just bad.

Also, you want to remember that the Rams always kept Keenum under their nose.
He did not have TC with them in 2014 and needed time to learn the playbook.
What they did a couple of years later was to give Keenum a first round tender so that Kubiak and the Broncos couldn't poach him off their roster once he finally did have time to learn their offense.
And Keenum did knock Foles (a first round draft pick) from the starting position role.

And yes, the Broncos did give him a good offer to become starting QB for them a couple of years later.

At that time, I came on the Broncos board to remind some of the posters there not to have too high of a hope; that the Broncos are still a few years away.
Also, their spending on the defensive side was 7th in the league, and 28th on offense.
Not only that, they spent their first round pick on that pass rusher and not Quentin Nelson.
(And Boles will still by abysmal at LT).

& here u go with your drivel...Fact is your boy was out of football before BoB called and gave him those 2 spot starts. Save your stats for the next time I hand you another L like I did regarding Phillip Rivers.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
& here u go with your drivel...Fact is your boy was out of football before BoB called and gave him those 2 spot starts. Save your stats for the next time I hand you another L like I did regarding Phillip Rivers.
The fact is Keenum has been doing very well on his own.
You're the one with an agenda.

And just wait there on the Philip Rivers' call.
It's just one game as you said.
And I doubt you even watched the Colts Jags game.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
And like i said, the most important fact is Keenum has been to the Championship game while O'Brien keeps getting himself embarassed in the divisional round.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans

Then how did he produce the season he did in Minnesota? The Vikings were coming off an 8-8 season before Keenum helped that team to a 13-3 record and an NFCCG. Did Minnesota become better after Keenum was allowed to move? No, not at all: 8-7-1 then 10-6.....which one excites you the most with Cousins at the helm?

What you fail to realize, Kennum's success was b/c his coach decided to modify the offense to take advantage of what Keenum does well.....the end results speaks volumes for being flexible. It wasn't accidental.....it was due to happen eventually....when a HC modified his offense to his QB versus trying to modify his QB to his scheme.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Then how did he produce the season he did in Minnesota? The Vikings were coming off an 8-8 season before Keenum helped that team to a 13-3 record and an NFCCG. Did Minnesota become better after Keenum was allowed to move? No, not at all: 8-7-1 then 10-6.....which one excites you the most with Cousins at the helm?

What you fail to realize, Kennum's success was b/c his coach decided to modify the offense to take advantage of what Keenum does well.....the end results speaks volumes for being flexible. It wasn't accidental.....it was due to happen eventually....when a HC modified his offense to his QB versus trying to modify his QB to his scheme.

Great so using your logic, that means that we should’ve kept Osweiler for 2017 since we didn’t make the playoffs in 2017 after we shipped him out, but did when he was our starter for 2016.

It’s called critical thinking, use it some time.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Great so using your logic, that means that we should’ve kept Osweiler for 2017 since we didn’t make the playoffs in 2017 after we shipped him out, but did when he was our starter for 2016.

It’s called critical thinking, use it some time.
You obviously don't follow the chips.....OB hasn't to date and will not at any time run an offensive scheme conducive for an NFL QB's success. Is that critical enough?

As for Osweiler, based on what the team paid for both his arrival and departure.....someone ducked up royally. The McNairs and RS should've pulled OB aside and told him that you either coach this guy up and help him learn your offense or you'll be packing your bags as well when we have to cut him. OB didn't like Osweiler so he might've done some things that none of us are fully aware of to have such an acidic relationship. OB is the HC so I have to hold him responsible for the mess and the losses the team had to incure to get rid of him.

As for Watson...I personally feel like OB absolutely wanted nothing to do with him initially. Watson's rookie campaign made OB a believer b/c even though Watson only played 6 games, it was enough for OB to hang his hat on while enduring a 4-12 season. Watson and Hopkins essentially saved OB's job the past 3 seasons. Could you apply your critical thinking to this and find 2 better players?

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
On the topic of reader, I didnt see the game. Was he attacking gaps or trying to hold them in a more traditional "double bubble 3-4?"

It's one thing to be overrun while holding the front and another to be run around while the defense asks him to slash/attack gaps.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
On the topic of reader, I didnt see the game. Was he attacking gaps or trying to hold them in a more traditional "double bubble 3-4?"

It's one thing to be overrun while holding the front and another to be run around while the defense asks him to slash/attack gaps.
I only watched the 4th quarter, but it seemed as everything he tried he got pushed around. I did notice he had more grass stains than anyone else, and I saw him hit the ground 3 times