Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans Defense is terrible. Absolutely terrible!

Texansballer74

The Marine
After one freaking game wow. Unbelievable, a game in which again the offensive line played like skit. Recievers not being designed open because clearly they can not win on their own and the play calling is crap. Now dude wants to believe Steel is right about Watson not being a super bowl caliber quarterback. That's by far the dumbest crap I've read on any sports blog. It takes more than the QB being a Super bowl caliber signal caller
It's a freaking team effort. Meaning the offensive line needs to do their jobs at a pro level. Play calling has to be on point. And the freaking list goes on and on. Coaching is another key factor into that component.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Nope , I don't blame it all on Watson , just part of it.

Part goes to OB , some to the OL , some to those route runners , some on the play caller .... and the dude who got rid of Hopkins.

Its not a popular opinion around here but I'm kinda beginning to believe that @steelbtexan may just be right - Watson might not be a superbowl caliber signal caller. He's good for a few highlights but not consistent enough to win at a high level ..

One thing has remained consistent since Watson took over and that's the offense being inconsistent - Its been a big play or give the ball back to the opposition one way or another.
Last night wasn't much different against a mediocre at best defense.

First drive 3 and out
9 plays TD
4 plays punt
11 plays missed FG from 50+
8 plays punt
4 plays INT

By which time they are down 3 scores , 24-7.

To this point they have 210 total yards of offense 68 of that on the ground , 11 total first downs and 7 points on the board thru 3 quarters and into the 4th.

After KC's next drive they are down 31-7 and at which point KC is content to let the Texans burn time off the clock while keeping everything in front of them.

I cringe at the thought of what that Ravens defense will do to this offense ....

This offense has been inconsistent since Obrien's been. Man don't put that crap on Watson. Know darn well the offense changed back to Bill O'brien's crap after his rookie season.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Deshaun Watson is NOT going to have the career we all are hoping for because Bill O’Brein and his offensive design and scheme isn’t going to allow him to reach his full potential. Just that simple.
I think we’re projecting the last six years onto this season. The offense looked different enough to me. No preseason isn’t going to help a new offense look great against the Super Bowl champs.

I did not expect our OL to fall apart like they did. First half they were impressive in the run game.

I’m not saying it’s all rainbows & lollipops, just that I don’t think we can come to such a definite conclusion of the offense after one game with no preseason

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
I think we’re projecting the last six years onto this season. The offense looked different enough to me. No preseason isn’t going to help a new offense look great against the Super Bowl champs.

I did not expect our OL to fall apart like they did. First half they were impressive in the run game.

I’m not saying it’s all rainbows & lollipops, just that I don’t think we can come to such a definite conclusion of the offense after one game with no preseason
Yes, they’re the SB champs, but they did have weaknesses, and their run D was one of them. Carlos Hyde had his first 100 yard game in 2 years against them and the Texans had 192 yards rushing in the regular season game they won. So yeah, DJ31 and the run game did look promising, but that is the KC weakness.

And you’re right that we can’t draw conclusions after one game, but it is all we have to go on, along with 6 years of watching the same problems continuing to manifest. Poor pass pro, poor route tree, and what looks to me like poor coaching. Not to mention the poor talent evaluation, with that talent getting severely overpaid for what they do on game days, but apparently make up for it in practice.

The offense will click at times this year. It has in the past. But, after 1 game, the inconsistency stills seems to be there. And with no pre-season and the stout defenses they face early on, it may take a minute to click this year.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Yes, they’re the SB champs, but they did have weaknesses, and their run D was one of them. Carlos Hyde had his first 100 yard game in 2 years against them and the Texans had 192 yards rushing in the regular season game they won. So yeah, DJ31 and the run game did look promising, but that is the KC weakness.

And you’re right that we can’t draw conclusions after one game, but it is all we have to go on, along with 6 years of watching the same problems continuing to manifest. Poor pass pro, poor route tree, and what looks to me like poor coaching. Not to mention the poor talent evaluation, with that talent getting severely overpaid for what they do on game days, but apparently make up for it in practice.

The offense will click at times this year. It has in the past. But, after 1 game, the inconsistency stills seems to be there. And with no pre-season and the stout defenses they face early on, it may take a minute to click this year.

According to a select few the ineptitude and inconsistency play started when Watson got here.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Something Weaver’s defense did well was prevent big plays. Mahomes threw for 211 yards, and his 6.6-yard average per attempt was the third-lowest of his career. His longest completion was 19 yards to Sammy Watkins.

Although Hill, Watkins and tight end Travis Kelce caught touchdown passes, they averaged 9.2, 11.7 and 8.3 yards a catch. link

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
This is a lot of offensive discussion in a thread titled "Defense is terrible". :wheel:
To that point, improvement needs to be made in play calling and design. The blame doesn't fall in any one direction or on any single set of shoulders, and that includes Watson. Yup, he didn't play a perfect game, made some unwise decisions. So did Mahomes.
Difference in scoring output between the teams is simply this;
1) Our offensive play design vs the Chiefs defense.
2) Chiefs offensive play design vs our defense.

Clearly the Chiefs offensive play design was more than our defensive talent could overcome. This leads to a lopsided score.
More excuses.

banned1976

sleeper mode
Something Weaver’s defense did well was prevent big plays. Mahomes threw for 211 yards, and his 6.6-yard average per attempt was the third-lowest of his career. His longest completion was 19 yards to Sammy Watkins.

Although Hill, Watkins and tight end Travis Kelce caught touchdown passes, they averaged 9.2, 11.7 and 8.3 yards a catch. link
Thank you for bringing this thread back to the defense. I talked all off-season about this defense, and very few wanted to engage in the conversation, instead obsessing about Watson. Yes, Watson is a big deal. But we don't have to have a debate about him in every other thread.

I know TK asked earlier in this thread, quizzing us on how many points the Chiefs will score against their next 3 or 4 opponents. And quite frankly, I don't care. They smashed the Texans defense right in their collective mouths and the defense couldn't throw a punch back. The Chiefs offense was on cruise mode, satisfied to just play the time of possession of game. Bask in the glory of dropping the banner and getting out of there unscathed and for the most part, mission accomplished. They played brilliantly against a defense that didn't have the personnel to fight back. The last part of the previous sentence should be most troubling to Texans fans. It is to me (most troubling) because they can't fix it any time some due to how the newer contracts are structured and diminished draft capital. We can blame O'Brien, we can blame Rick Smith, we can blame the turf that nearly destroyed Clowney's career (definitely shortened it), we can blame it on the rain. Won't change the fact that the Texans defense isn't good right now, quite possibly the worst the Texans have ever had.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller

It’s also the 3rd most rushing yards the Chiefs have had in a game Mahomes has started. They didn’t have to go into a full blown aerial assault. They were getting it done on the ground and never really being threatened on the scoreboard.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Thank you for bringing this thread back to the defense. I talked all off-season about this defense, and very few wanted to engage in the conversation, instead obsessing about Watson. Yes, Watson is a big deal. But we don't have to have a debate about him in every other thread.

I know TK asked earlier in this thread, quizzing us on how many points the Chiefs will score against their next 3 or 4 opponents. And quite frankly, I don't care. They smashed the Texans defense right in their collective mouths and the defense couldn't throw a punch back. The Chiefs offense was on cruise mode, satisfied to just play the time of possession of game. Bask in the glory of dropping the banner and getting out of there unscathed and for the most part, mission accomplished. They played brilliantly against a defense that didn't have the personnel to fight back. The last part of the previous sentence should be most troubling to Texans fans. It is to me (most troubling) because they can't fix it any time some due to how the newer contracts are structured and diminished draft capital. We can blame O'Brien, we can blame Rick Smith, we can blame the turf that nearly destroyed Clowney's career (definitely shortened it), we can blame it on the rain. Won't change the fact that the Texans defense isn't good right now, quite possibly the worst the Texans have ever had.
Apparently you weren't watching the 2-14 seasons. The defense wont be this bad against most teams. The Chiefs are very special on offense. I actually expect them to be much better although give up 24-27 pts against the Ravens. Can the offense keep up with the Ravens? Probably not.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Where is the excuse? Or are you saying out defense has the talent to stop the Chiefs offensive unit?
You know exactly what I mean, the defense wasn't good against the Chiefs. Most defenses aren't good against the Chiefs. The offense failed to produce enough to keep up with the Chiefs high powered offense. I'm going to chalk this L up to the same 1st game suckage we see every yr.

theCATALYST

Football Messiah
You know exactly what I mean, the defense wasn't good against the Chiefs. Most defenses aren't good against the Chiefs. The offense failed to produce enough to keep up with the Chiefs high powered offense. I'm going to chalk this L up to the same 1st game suckage we see every yr.
Basically what I was saying that you quoted. Doesn't matter, we lost. Moving on.

badboy

Hall of Fame
It wasn't something that most would have noticed watching TV, but it was raining or misting throughout the game. WRs on both sides were compromised. Even Hill was not his dynamic self. Mahomes only tolled 210 total passing yds. Watson tolled 252 yds and most of those in essentially garbage time. On two late scoring drives, the Texans earned 140 of their 360 yards and nine of their 21 first downs.
Yep. I didn't notice passes being effected much on either QB. Did expect Kelly to run more with David J looking so good. Wonder what happened there?

badboy

Hall of Fame
Even if there was little chance (which I disagree), it's still better than none.
I stand on the decision. In fact, it's a no-brainer when I look at the view from behind the QB.
The ball has to go that way, every single time.
You are advocating for Watson to force the ball in a minimal percentage pass. That has been concern of mine since last season. If he had to throw it yes he threw it where it needed to go BUT he didn't have to nor should have. You are addressing the pass after the ball left to Deshaun's hands. I and seemingly Corrosion are addressing the pass before DeShaun releases.

Deshaun runs a Red traffic light and you are talking about how well he got through without crashing and saying other drivers should have managed their vehicles better.

badboy

Hall of Fame
After one freaking game wow. Unbelievable, a game in which again the offensive line played like skit. Recievers not being designed open because clearly they can not win on their own and the play calling is crap. Now dude wants to believe Steel is right about Watson not being a super bowl caliber quarterback. That's by far the dumbest crap I've read on any sports blog. It takes more than the QB being a Super bowl caliber signal caller
It's a freaking team effort. Meaning the offensive line needs to do their jobs at a pro level. Play calling has to be on point. And the freaking list goes on and on. Coaching is another key factor into that component.
Yes and we have and are willing to discuss all players, you seem to be coddling Watson. He has a girlfriend for that.
The one freaking game looked like last season for Watson or worse for players like Watt, Mercilus and Cunningham who also make tons of money. IMO David J. Only high dollar player that caught my eye favorably.

Last edited:

badboy

Hall of Fame

Yes I would be more optimistic if we were not playing Baltimore next. At least we have a longer break between games. I still have major doubts about the offensive line coach.
One of reasons I'm critical of DW is I thought he was going to have a great game against Chiefs defense.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Scottie Phillips was activated for the game any idea why he did not see the field?
Because he was not yet expected to be ready to be a legitimate RB.........He was brought in to replace the loss of one of the Texans core special team players........ Gillaspia.

badboy

Hall of Fame

If we have similar response in game two offensively does anyone think O'Brien will pull play calling back from Kelly game 3?

badboy

Hall of Fame

With Gareon Conley out Robey moved to the slot position where his PFF was 44.9. Roby needs to remain on outside to be effective.

badboy

Hall of Fame
IIRC Houston has not won opening game since 2016. I like Dashaun over Lamar and look forward to how David Johnson does against Patrick Queen 1st round MLB.

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
name one poster. Even Steel, Watson's most vociferous critic has voiced how good Dashaun played his rookie season.
I think @steelbtexan recognizes Watson is a good qb, he's just not perfect and that makes Steele a target here for saying so.

Theres a collective blame.

I fear it's going to be a long season. The only redeeming chance is that this might be the season cal's nuts drop and he fires ob.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
With Gareon Conley out Robey moved to the slot position where his PFF was 44.9. Roby needs to remain on outside to be effective.
Texans miss Conley. Robey struggles in the slot. It seems even Reid was playing CB over Hargreaves or Johnson.

As far as Weaver. Reid and Mahomes commented on the DL scheme and the coverage changes they saw compared to last year. So, Weaver didn't simply trot out Romeo's defense. Good for him.

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
You can pretend you have a 4-3 front by putting an olbs hand in the dirt.

If we continue to show we cant stop the run it needs to be a dt. We got pounced.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Texans miss Conley. Robey struggles in the slot. It seems even Reid was playing CB over Hargreaves or Johnson.

As far as Weaver. Reid and Mahomes commented on the DL scheme and the coverage changes they saw compared to last year. So, Weaver didn't simply trot out Romeo's defense. Good for him.
With all starters healthy it would have been hard to shut down Chiefs. TBH, holding Kelce to 50 yards was a positive. I had predicted a W over KC and loss to Ravens, maybe I just got it backwards. :dance:

badboy

Hall of Fame
You can pretend you have a 4-3 front by putting an olbs hand in the dirt.

If we continue to show we cant stop the run it needs to be a dt. We got pounced.
I saw PJ looking good a couple of times. Did Blacklock get to play at the nose?

Mangler

Toro de España
I saw PJ looking good a couple of times. Did Blacklock get to play at the nose?
I only noticed PJ on the one play where JJ pretty much handed him the TFL at the goal line. Other than that, PJ looked like absolute garbage. Blacklock was also a non factor when he was out there as well. They’re new, so I won’t really bash them since I didn’t have high hopes for them anyway. I will give Weaver some props though. I can see how he had #15 confused on some plays, he just doesn’t have any talent at DB whatsoever.

DBCooper

Outlaw
Contributor's Club
This offense has been inconsistent since Obrien's been. Man don't put that crap on Watson. Know darn well the offense changed back to Bill O'brien's crap after his rookie season.
A second grader dressed up in a Dick LeBeau Halloween mask could figure out how to stop O’Brien’s snap crackle pop offense.

Mahomes would look crappy in this brilliant offense of ours.

and to stay topic it looks like O’Brien is calling the defense now.

mws

Rookie
I see this as a total team failure. The only bright spots I saw all night was David Johnson & to an extent Fuller (even though he had at least one bad drop). Every other position group was barely adequate.

Watson did not have a good game at all. In my opinion he seemed very hesitant to ad lib like he has in the past.

I was very disappointed in our offensive line play. Watson was under pressure all night.

I wont even try break down the defense. The whole unit sucked with a great hissing sound.

This is what we have seen time after time with Billy O whenever he has longer than usual to get ready for a game (see Ravens 41-7 last year after the bye). Our last 2 games have been total team collapses. Once again we were totally outclassed in every facet of the game.

I don't know what the opposite of complementary football is called but we got a perfect example of it Thursday night. When a team comes out this flat for the opening game I tend to blame coaching rather than players.

I guess you should all take this with a grain of salt because I admit I'm pretty damn bitter after that piss poor showing.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
You are advocating for Watson to force the ball in a minimal percentage pass. That has been concern of mine since last season. If he had to throw it yes he threw it where it needed to go BUT he didn't have to nor should have. You are addressing the pass after the ball left to Deshaun's hands. I and seemingly Corrosion are addressing the pass before DeShaun releases.

Deshaun runs a Red traffic light and you are talking about how well he got through without crashing and saying other drivers should have managed their vehicles better.
What are you talking about?
Even Corrosion admitted that Watson threw the ball to a place that only Fuller can get to.

It's in the same vein of a fade route we saw all the time with AJ, Hopkins, and a ton of other receivers in the NFL.

badboy

Hall of Fame
It is simple 76. Watson should not have passed the ball. Doesn't matter where, to whom, who blocked or who didn't. Watson should not have thrown it.

KarlK

Waterboy
Yes and we have and are willing to discuss all players, you seem to be coddling Watson. He has a girlfriend for that.
The one freaking game looked like last season for Watson or worse for players like Watt, Mercilus and Cunningham who also make tons of money. IMO David J. Only his dollar player that caught my eye favorably.
It’s his m.o. He cant handle any type of criticism of Watson. It’s pathetic. Watson can be completely ineffective as he was during the meat of this game, and this guy will blame OBrien, the receivers, the McNairs, the Ol, the defense....anyone but Watson.

He lives in a delusional fantasy world where Watson has no flaws and unicorns and leprechauns roam free.