Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Should we trade Watson?

Should we trade Watson?

• Yes, without a doubt.

• Yes, depending on compensation (please list your trade scenario).

• No, never.

• No, unless he plays hardball and sits.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Do you think this ends any way other than DW4 playing for a team of his choice next season?
Yes.

If he's going to hold on to his no trade clause, then he needs to play or sit out.

If he waives the no trade clause he goes to the highest bidder.

Goodell works for the owners... he sure isn't looking for some dope of a player to ruin even 1 of them
LOL keep thinking that. Watson provides more value and sellability than Cal does. Goodell will step in at some point and mediate a resolution. There is no chance he would allow this to end in a public lawsuit.

Watson wants his own posse here. What's wrong with that?

You know what.. I want my posse at work too. Alot of them are career goofballs though and management knows better. Harden wanted and got his posse here, how'd that turn out?

My point would make a lot more sense if our Texan management (can barely say that with a straight face) didn't hire their own goofs as well.

The problem with this team is no one knows their ****ing roles.. from player (Watson) up to our dumbass owner(s).. but there's plenty of blame on both sides.

If he waives the no trade clause he goes to the highest bidder.

Then my understanding (and Chris Mortensen's) of how the no-trade clause works is wrong.

"Sources say Watson could play hardball with Texans about a trade. His new $156 million contract includes a no-trade clause but informed speculation from a source is that he would consider the @MiamiDolphins in which Tua Tagovailoa and additional compensation goes to Houston."

Then my understanding (and Chris Mortensen's) of how the no-trade clause works is wrong.

"Sources say Watson could play hardball with Texans about a trade. His new $156 million contract includes a no-trade clause but informed speculation from a source is that he would consider the @MiamiDolphins in which Tua Tagovailoa and additional compensation goes to Houston."
|
I think it depends on wording in the contract?

That sounds more like some “source” just spitballing what a trade to the Dolphins could look like. It assumes that we would even want Tua....DW4 or any other “source” doesn’t get to dictate the compensation we recieve back in a trade...We dictate that.

That sounds more like some “source” just spitballing what a trade to the Dolphins could look like. It assumes that we would even want Tua....DW4 or any other “source” doesn’t get to dictate the compensation we recieve back in a trade...We dictate that.
The key part is that he would consider Miami, implying there are teams he wouldn't consider. Thought Mort was more reliable than most, and plenty of other report suggest the same. Admittedly I don't have firat-hand knowledge of how this works, but I've not seen any scenario reported where DW4 waives and then we trade him wherever we like.

The key part is that he would consider Miami, implying there are teams he wouldn't consider. Thought Mort was more reliable than most, and plenty of other report suggest the same. Admittedly I don't have firat-hand knowledge of how this works, but I've not seen any scenario reported where DW4 waives and then we trade him wherever we like.

The only way DW4 could control where he goes is if we come to him with a deal from a team first & he’s gives approval and waives his no trade clause after. Beyond that, we have the leverage if we choose to play hardball. All we need to tell him is “we’ll let you out, but you gotta waive your no trade clause & we’ll take the best offer we recieve...otherwise, you’re playing for us or you’re sitting out”

LOL keep thinking that. Watson provides more value and sellability than Cal does. Goodell will step in at some point and mediate a resolution. There is no chance he would allow this to end in a public lawsuit.

You’re wrong, very wrong. Watson is a player that might have a what, 10 year career? The McNair’s are owners, and highly respected ones among the owners, that will have the team for generations if they so chose. From Goodell’s point of view it’s not even close, and like JB said Goodell is hired and works for the owners. You really think they are going to let him tell them what to do?

Neither.

The Rumor is Watson said Cal can't fix this unless he fires himself.

I don't think there's anything Cal can do. He's got two bad options imo. Either option he chooses should get him replaced.

Unless he can fix it like you said. But I'm saying I don't think he can.
If there is a way Cal can screw up this trade consider it done. IE after the draft has come and gone Cal agrees to the trade getting far less than he could get before the draft.

DW4 may not get his ideal choice. If Texans best deal is Jets, Texans could offer DW4 a trade to NYJ or stay and play in Houston. Offer is good only before the draft.

You’re wrong, very wrong. Watson is a player that might have a what, 10 year career? The McNair’s are owners, and highly respected ones among the owners, that will have the team for generations if they so chose. From Goodell’s point of view it’s not even close, and like JB said Goodell is hired and works for the owners. You really think they are going to let him tell them what to do?
Cal doesn't own a team, his Dad and mother did/do. Cal is running the franchise into the ground and ruining any potential opportunity to get better in his first full off-season. The NFL is watching

If it truly gets to that point, that’s how it SHOULD play out. For everyone’s sake I hope cooler heads prevail.

Also agreed. My entire line of debate in this thread is based on the assumption that Watson is done... which is what we're told.

Cal doesn't own a team, his Dad and mother did/do. Cal is running the franchise into the ground and ruining any potential opportunity to get better in his first full off-season. The NFL is watching

What...I....I don’t even know how to respond to this. “The NFL is watching”, watching what? You really think Janice isn’t on board with Cal’s moves? You really think the owners, of which there are only 32 in the world, are going to hang one of there own for some 25 year old kid that, in their eyes, doesn’t know his place? Do you really think Watson, who has never won a SB or been an MVP, has that much pull?

The NFL will burn Watson so fast it’s wont even be funny and Goodell will be the guy with the match.

I'm starting to wonder if he was leaning this way since Hopkins was traded.

Remember, Hopkins got what he wanted when he was traded. No reason anyone should be mad about it.

Hopkins wanted out. I think DW4 was at least thinking about it. Don't know why he signed his extension then this...

That would be my only question, why sign the extension.

What...I....I don’t even know how to respond to this. “The NFL is watching”, watching what? You really think Janice isn’t on board with Cal’s moves? You really think the owners, of which there are only 32 in the world, are going to hang one of there own for some 25 year old kid that, in their eyes, doesn’t know his place? Do you really think Watson, who has never won a SB or been an MVP, has that much pull?

The NFL will burn Watson so fast it’s wont even be funny and Goodell will be the guy with the match.
The NFL didn't sell the last spot to Cal, they sold it to his dad. If Cal proves to be extremely incompetent, they will not just sit by and allow him to completely ruin one of the most financially successful teams. You are delusional.

Now with that said, I don't think it comes to the NFL stepping in nor does it come down to Watson holding out and fighting with the team in court. Either he plays or is traded. That's the only 2 legit options.

The NFL didn't sell the last spot to Cal, they sold it to his dad. If Cal proves to be extremely incompetent, they will not just sit by and allow him to completely ruin one of the most financially successful teams. You are delusional.

Now with that said, I don't think it comes to the NFL stepping in nor does it come down to Watson holding out and fighting with the team in court. Either he plays or is traded. That's the only 2 legit options.

I agree with the there are only two outcomes and I don’t think it comes to a fight either. I don’t agree with your assessment of how the NFL would react but that’s cool, we can agree to disagree on that.

Get what you can for a Tunsil to, we signed a pro bowl, elite QB to try and protect Watson but no reason to pay him to protect a stop gap QB. Ship him out and then start building for the future, there will be another sure Fire, best college QB ever like Mahomes, Watson or Lawrence in the draft just Texans have to be ready and this time have the team built so you can just slide that superstar QB in place.

Well Jax has the cap space and picks. Wonder if they’d give up their late RD1-25-025 and RD2-13-045 for a top veteran LT, who’s under contract, to protect their new Franchise QB? Of course....I’d do this deal after getting the trade with Miami knocked out.

Last edited:
As a leader, Cal needs to figure out what words need to be said to mend the fence. This isn't a shut up and do your job moment. This is your entire franchise hanging in the balance. You better nut up and apologize for misleading him and figure out what needs to be done to fix it. Not Nick. Cal.

Apparently he wasn't mislead at all from what I was told today.

On two occasions since Ob was fired he has had discussions with Cal on potential GM & HC candidates.
One of those a sit down dinner with Watson & Cal , the second a meeting including Cal , Watson & David Mulughetta.

Watson didn't get mislead at all , he just didn't get who / what he wanted -

The Chris Mortensen tweet was spot on ....

He could retire, but Texans still own his rights until 202?

While retired (Not playing) he doesn't accrue years of service to satisfy the contract. The Texans would own the exclusive rights to his services until he delivers the agreed to number of accrued years on the contract - Thru 2025.

Also , the Texans could go after signing bonus money and he'd have to return that $27m as it is compensation for 2022-2025.

While retired (Not playing) he doesn't accrue years of service to satisfy the contract. The Texans would own the exclusive rights to his services until he delivers the agreed to number of accrued years on the contract - Thru 2025.

Also , the Texans could go after signing bonus money and he'd have to return that $27m as it is compensation for 2022-2025.

yeah I forgot the '+'

It's not going to be a judge, it will be Goodell and he sure isn't looking for some dope of an owner to ruin a star in the league.

It would most definitely be a judge.

Goodell has no choice but to abide by the CBA and the signed contract.

The rules state accrued seasons and you cannot accrue jack from the couch.
The Texans would own his rights indefinitely upon refusal of services.

Texans could also play hardball with Watson. If they get the best deal from the Jets they can tell Watson we will trade you to NYJ or you play in Houston.

There have been many bad owners over the yrs NYJ (Johnson's) Cards (Bidwell's) Bears (McCaskey's) Saints (Meacom) Falsons Smith etc...) the Commish didn't make them sell and they wont make Cal sell either. Best you can hope for is Janice dies and the rest of the siblings want there $$$$ upfront and Cal has to sell the team. Are you wishing for Janice to die? I'm not

Agreed about the 2 options.

Last edited:
Jerrah, and Emmitt Smith
Believe it or not right now Cal has all the leverage. I have seen this movie several times and there is a very good chance Cal will paint himself into a corner again and forfeit any leverage he has. Cal and his Patriot triumvirate will come away with Duane Brown, Clowney, Hopkins type trade. It could go much like it did in 2014 when a couple of teams were offering a 2nd or 3rd rd pick for Andre Johnson. Bob McNair said nope we're not trading AJ. The next year they released him outright, didn't even get a comp for AJ.

There have been many bad owners over the yrs NYJ (Johnson's) Cards (Bidwell's) Bears (McCaskey's) Saints (Meacom) Falsons (Smith etc... the Commish didn't make the sell and they wont make Cal sell either. Best you can hope for is Janice dies and the rest of the siblings want there $$$$ upfront and Cal has to sell the team. Are you wishing for Janice to die? I'm not

Agreed about the 2 options.
one other possibility is the siblings insist on Janice selling the embarrassment to the family name and the city of Houston (and Janice lives).

Yes he is reported to want to go to Miami. And the Dolphins are prepared to offer Tua Tagovailoa up. Now IF we did something like this, we better get a 1st from it too. Tua could be great or awful we know nothing yet. With Watson, you have a good QB who is going to raise the win total of your team. Perhaps even enough for the playoffs. I have seen rumors of Tua, a 1st and push for a 1st or 2nd next year as well.

Yes he is reported to want to go to Miami. And the Dolphins are prepared to offer Tua Tagovailoa up. Now IF we did something like this, we better get a 1st from it too. Tua could be great or awful we know nothing yet. With Watson, you have a good QB who is going to raise the win total of your team. Perhaps even enough for the playoffs. I have seen rumors of Tua, a 1st and push for a 1st or 2nd next year as well.
Before we did something like this they need to keep shopping for a better deal and not take the first offer like they did with Hopkins.

Believe it or not right now Cal has all the leverage. I have seen this movie several times and there is a very good chance Cal will paint himself into a corner again and forfeit any leverage he has. Cal and his Patriot triumvirate will come away with Duane Brown, Clowney, Hopkins type trade. It could go much like it did in 2014 when a couple of teams were offering a 2nd or 3rd rd pick for Andre Johnson. Bob McNair said nope we're not trading AJ. The next year they released him outright, didn't even get a comp for AJ.

Sad that we could see history repeat itself.

its been "a thing" since the Dunta Robinson drama...
The "McNair thing" is the one connecting thread of all the studs that were run traded away. Dunta Robinson, Dwayne Brown, AJ, Clowney, now Nuk and DW4.... the list grows and grows.

The term stud and Dunta Robinson should never be used in the same sentence the only reason he looked good was the rest of the secondary was trash.

Back