Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Should we trade Watson?

Should we trade Watson?

• Yes, without a doubt.

• Yes, depending on compensation (please list your trade scenario).

• No, never.

• No, unless he plays hardball and sits.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Tua is a backup at best. I don't want him at all.

Two firsts isn't near enough for me to trade Watson, I want at least 3 firsts and multiple 2nd & 3rd round picks on top of those AND the receiving team takes on Mercilus contract.
If a trade with Dolphins occurs and with a package that you and I both hope for and expect, Tu'a is a reasonable $8 million to us 2021. If necessary, we could cut him 2022 without the roster bonus and take only a $3.4 m hit. If not sure Caserio could use 1.3 for best QB available as insurance. I'm looking at Tagovaila as low cost throw in that if a boom would be amazing but if bust not too costly. We both have suggested using a trade to force poor contracts as Mercilus $7.5 to Miami as part of the Watson trade. We could use that to bring in Dolphins corner Xavien Howard $9.3m. IMO, we need to look at over all picture.

In all seriousness....if Miami is even remotely salivating at the idea of getting Watson while thinking O'Brien is still around to make the deal, they'll be sadly mistaken. I don't think Caserio is quite the prison soap dropper OB was. I don't think the team would have any interest in taking Tua off their hands either. For me, the package would look something like this:

Dolphins Get:
QB- Deshaun Watson
LB- Whitney Mercilus (Full Contract / Texans Eat )

Texans Get:
SS- Eric Rowe (Former CB who came into his own as SS / Shuts TE's down / Affordable / UFA 2023)
2021 RD1-03-003
2021 RD1-18-018
2021 RD2-03-035
2022 RD1
2023 RD2

No way is Miami given the opportunity to pay less for Watson than the Texans paid for Tunsil.

Oh I understood. You said Tua was injury prone crap but if he is, then so is Watson due to his injuries history. I'm willing to give Tag 2021 to show he can remain healthy. We took that risk with #4 as he was ours and under contract with us.

Wouldn't want the headache or expectations of Tua knowing the Texans could probably select QB- Zach Wilson (BYU) with the 3rd overall pick.

I can't think of a team with a full on similar scenario.

It's entirely up to them to decide to put it into practice.. because that's how leverage works.
The Texans "leverage" is making him sit out a year and then trading him for even less. Leverage is something you use to your advantage, not to everyone's disadvantage.

But you are correct, it's absolutely up to them if they want to make the worst possible choice for all concerned.

The Texans "leverage" is making him sit out a year and then trading him for even less. Leverage is something you use to your advantage, not to everyone's disadvantage.

But you are correct, it's absolutely up to them if they want to make the worst possible choice for all concerned.
He loses most if not all his money including bonus if he sits out under new NFL rule.

I just want this to be over. Trading Watson is not good for the organization. Or the fans of the team. Might be good for Watson.

Bring in a new QB and additional future players? So they can be alienated in a few years? Fix the problem. Which is that this is a dysfunctional organization. Trading Watson solves nothing for this franchise.
Watson/Tunsil/Cook salaries are dysfunctional in 2022. It's will be hard for them to be competitive. Because of Cap and lack of draft picks hard to field a defense that can prevent 35 points per game on a scoreboard. To your point, if Texans trade Watson for a handful of picks, a clean salary cap slate and draft Zach Wilson who turns out to be the best QB in the draft. He comes to Houston where his career will be damaged. You hate to see Watson waste away in Houston or other new promising stars but that's the way it's going to be until Janice says Time to Sell. This is going to have to happen before you will be able to get any high profile GMs, HCs and players wanting to come to Houston.

The leverage is the cost to him.. and believing that he won't want to do so.

They just have to make him believe they're willing to.

I'm blown away. He's pissed because his buddy got traded and either he didn't want Caserio here or wasn't part of the process of bringing him here. I'd say it's time for him to put his big boy pants on and get over it. Say he goes to another team next season and they piss him off? He gonna want to be traded again? And again and again and again? Teammates get traded personnel changes are made daily across the NFL. Get over it.
I'm starting to wonder if he was leaning this way since Hopkins was traded.

Remember, Hopkins got what he wanted when he was traded. No reason anyone should be mad about it.

Hopkins wanted out. I think DW4 was at least thinking about it. Don't know why he signed his extension then this...

I don't understand what you're saying. What leverage does Watson have? If he doesn't want to deal with the Texans, if he wants a trade, he has to waive the no trade clause, period.

If he doesn't waive the no trade, suit up & play or sit out & freeze your contract.

I don't understand what you're saying. What leverage does Watson have? If he doesn't want to deal with the Texans, if he wants a trade, he has to waive the no trade clause, period.

If he doesn't waive the no trade, suit up & play or sit out & freeze your contract.
I think you guys underestimate the negative ramifications of having a young star like Watson, who is not only a leader on the field but an incredible role model off, having such discontent for the organization that he would be willing to sit out and miss games or force his way to be traded. Do you think we will ever recover from our image with free agents or our own free agents with the current ownership? It is much deeper than Watson and this current team.

As a leader, Cal needs to figure out what words need to be said to mend the fence. This isn't a shut up and do your job moment. This is your entire franchise hanging in the balance. You better nut up and apologize for misleading him and figure out what needs to be done to fix it. Not Nick. Cal.

Please! give him a title if not a job with the Robert and Janice Education foundation. Place a CEO/leader whatever you call it over Texans who answers to Janice only. At 84 not sure how much longer she has but four billion USD split four ways among the children should make them all happy. There was much talk by Bob when he purchased the franchise how he wanted to do it for Houston fans; so Mrs. McNair leave control in good hands just not your children's; if you still care for those fans.

Janice has a total of 1B+ in immediate money and another 3.3B+ tied up in Texans value...... Janice, Cal and the others could dang near triple their windfall of immediate funds if they sell the Texans while riding off into the sunset knowing none of them will never have to work another day in their lives. Put it to a family vote b/c I'm gambling they'd sell to start the easy life. I wouldn't be surprised if the kids have already agreed to do this once it's exclusively their decision.

However, if Cal decides to get back into football, he could always buy a franchise from XFL owner Dwayne Johnson. Maybe he could revive the Gamblers name in Houston since it might best describe the team in general with him pulling the strings.

[QUOTE
I'm starting to wonder if he was leaning this way since Hopkins was traded.

Remember, Hopkins got what he wanted when he was traded. No reason anyone should be mad about it.

Hopkins wanted out. I think DW4 was at least thinking about it. Don't know why he signed his extension then this...

see that’s my thing. All this $&@%-ery started when Nuk was traded before he signed his extension. If there was any inkling at all that you might want out, you don’t sign your extension. Now that you’re locked in, you’ve made it hard for yourself to be moved and have effectively handed most of the leverage to the FO.

As a leader, Cal needs to figure out what words need to be said to mend the fence.
I agree, sort of. Like rumor says, Cal can't do nothing for him. He's escalating to Mama McNair.

I think you guys underestimate the negative ramifications of having a young star like Watson, who is not only a leader on the field but an incredible role model off, having such discontent for the organization that he would be willing to sit out and miss games or force his way to be traded.

I'm thinking we're past that. This is what scorched earth feels like.

Or, he could do what Carson Palmer did in 2010. Why do something you don't have to do if you're miserable doing it, or in Palmer's case miserable doing it for someone you despise? And you know they're going to get buckets of money from your services and sacrifices (collapsed lungs for example).

The way this thing is going, nothing would surprise me, including Watson's "retirement" from football.

So which is it...Watsons upset about Easterby or that he’s not being included in the decision making? The story’s all over the place. The media pushing their agenda and DW4 and the players passive aggressively pushing theirs.

I think I just need to check out for a while until DW4 officially requests a trade or we hire a HC and we see how it goes from there.

Whoa... I don’t believe that is the right thing at all. Far from it.

Let Caserio do his job. If that means Easterby stays, Easterby stays. In whatever capacity Caserio wants him in.

We don’t need to expand the board room to include players.

Exactly my friend. Players should not be picking who is doing what and who is coaching. The players should be playing with whoever is there.

Caserio is a good idea for the team. A smart guy who has been there done that. Who will the HC be...who knows. But, unless it is someone who we know is awful (previous jobs). Let's see what a good GM and HC team can do. IMO we have not had a true GM and HC since Gary left. Smith was overriding ideas from the coaching staff and using McNair to get it his way. Then OB was GM and HC and part of his ideas were altered by Easterby. Yes, we know it was his idea about Hopkins and likely others.

Watson is going to have to get over it or he will leave. Seeing now not only are we hearing about trades. We are now seeing that Watson might actually want to leave. According to reports and 1 I saw was a source close to him (no name listed).

And many more... How much is true is debatable. Watson being very upset is not.

So which is it...Watsons upset about Easterby or that he’s not being included in the decision making? The story’s all over the place. The media pushing their agenda and DW4 and the players passive aggressively pushing theirs.

I think I just need to check out for a while until DW4 officially requests a trade or we hire a HC and we see how it goes from there.

I am starting to think that JJ telling Watson he was sorry they (the team) wasted one of his years. Plus, Dre saying what he did. Along with losing Hopkins (a good friend) due to Easterby are ALL and more building up. And now he is really wanting out or is playing a very good bluff for a HC he wants.

I'm not doing a good job of explaining myself... sorry, between lots of different tasks. But rather than me spending ages trying to argue a subtle point on a forum, ask yourself this: Do you think this ends any way other than DW4 playing for a team of his choice next season?

If there is truth to this, then ship his ass off. That should begin what should be a complete flush of our roster with the exception of Reid and Tunsil. Wipe the board and start over. Let the new HC direct Caserio in building his new roster.

Get what you can for a Tunsil to, we signed a pro bowl, elite QB to try and protect Watson but no reason to pay him to protect a stop gap QB. Ship him out and then start building for the future, there will be another sure Fire, best college QB ever like Mahomes, Watson or Lawrence in the draft just Texans have to be ready and this time have the team built so you can just slide that superstar QB in place.

I'm not doing a good job of explaining myself... sorry, between lots of different tasks. But rather than me spending ages trying to argue a subtle point on a forum, ask yourself this: Do you think this ends any way other than DW4 playing for a team of his choice next season?
The only thing we know for certain is that you are going to see Goo Gobs of Baker commercials tommorrow

We have the actual leverage - should we choose to use it - on whether or not he ever plays in the league again..

Not really. He can sit a year. After that, I would think he would have the NFLPA and a very good lawyer after Cal. That is not going to be good for the team. Most of the time if you freeze out a player, it's an older guy.

Without that clause I like our chances of a decent haul in an actual auction.

I think we'll play hardball for a while, realize that we have very little leverage and then take whatever we can get from Watson's preferred landing spot. Probably then fire Easterby way too late, just to rub it in to the fan base. In short, the usual worst possible outcome we can expect from this clown-show.

Texans have lots of leverage, this isn’t like the NBA where a contract keeps rolling, if Watson sits then Texans owe him nothing and in fact he starts owing them money. The new CBA took a lot of power out of sitting players hands. Likewise it doesn’t hurt the Texans any worse because after this draft they get their picks back so

Not having Watson = losing more games = better draft position = drafting Watson’s replacement when the next big, can’t miss, greatest college QB ever comes up.

If Texans truly do play hardball Watson will be the loser.

Not really. He can sit a year. After that, I would think he would have the NFLPA and a very good lawyer after Cal. That is not going to be good for the team. Most of the time if you freeze out a player, it's an older guy.

Nope, CBA says differently, NFLPA can throw a fit all they want but players voted and then signed the deal. Sitting players lost a lot of power after the Bell and Brown sit outs.

Is that speculation or has something been posted saying Watson went to Janice?
Neither.

The Rumor is Watson said Cal can't fix this unless he fires himself.

I don't think there's anything Cal can do. He's got two bad options imo. Either option he chooses should get him replaced.

Unless he can fix it like you said. But I'm saying I don't think he can.

Like Mav said, it's already been negotiated by his union reps on his behalf..

and this ain't the kind of thing that a judge likes to reverse precedent on.

Back