Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Sentiment Check: Which QB Are You Selecting With The #1.2 Overall Pick (March 8, 2023)

If You Were GM, Which QB Are You Selecting With The #1.2 Overall Pick

• Total voters
seems like its gonna be CJ cus young will prob be gone so ill say CJ stroud

we kinda have no choice IMO

Is that a negative for him or a question mark? He can’t control what the offensive scheme is. Hooker excelled within the parameters that he was given. He has an arm no matter what the system.
There are tons of QB failures with huge arms. He played half the field. The other half of the field did nothing during plays. I am in no way blaming him, but I'm not betting he is Patrick Mahomes either. Now I'm sure the Texans have seen his test scores etc. so if they are fine with him, okay. Im good. So far I see a guy who has good athletic skills, but I have no idea if he can process because he has never been asked to.

There are tons of QB failures with huge arms. He played half the field. The other half of the field did nothing during plays. I am in no way blaming him, but I'm not betting he is Patrick Mahomes either. Now I'm sure the Texans have seen his test scores etc. so if they are fine with him, okay. Im good. So far I see a guy who has good athletic skills, but I have no idea if he can process because he has never been asked to.

Playing half of the field is a negative as the defense can more easily project where the ball is going, which usually ends up in less productivity due to fewer options. But he had great productivity, so doesn’t that say something about his ability and mean that he should only improve as he is placed in a system that forces him to use the entire field? Honest question. Sounds like you’re saying it’s not a negative but a question mark? This guy intrigues me. I appreciate the insight.

Playing half of the field is a negative as the defense can more easily project where the ball is going, which usually ends up in less productivity due to fewer options. But he had great productivity, so doesn’t that say something about his ability and mean that he should only improve as he is placed in a system that forces him to use the entire field? Honest question. Sounds like you’re saying it’s not a negative but a question mark? This guy intrigues me. I appreciate the insight.
Yeah it is a question mark for me. I am sure the team has tested him and had him break apart coverages and had him do reads. He has the athletic ability. If the team believes he can process then I will go with them. My personal opinion is even if he can, it will take him longer than someone who has been doing it, provided they have the same processing ability. He is also older. I would absolutely no issues taking him if he had the experience in a pro-style offense. My question is how long will he have to sit to learn everything he needs to once you consider his age?
He is going to be 26 in January. Do we really want him to sit until he is 27 or 28?

San Fran won without a marquee QB. They made it to the NFCCG with Jimmy G and Mr. Irrelative. Superior scheme and coaching. I hope DeMeco can bring that.

They have the brightest offensive mind and best play caller in football .... hard to match that.

Reactions: JB
Is that because he couldn't do more, or a limit of the coaches "system"?

If I were to do a detailed study of these QBs, sure, command of a pro offense is a plus. If he struggles in a pro offense, it's a minus. But if he excels in a simple offense I definitely wouldn't debit him for it
I don't know, i'm just saying when someone says 1 read, its not even that. Its one side of field and the other side doesn't even go into routes.

He is going to be 26 in January. Do we really want him to sit until he is 27 or 28?

Thank you. The age does makes it even more complex. The QB’s that turn out to be franchise types generally play until what 35ish? From what I’m reading, he should be ready to play by the second half of this year or sooner. If this year, at 25 is his learning year, he could be NFL ready at 26. IF he’s legit, we could get 8 to 10 years of quality QB play. I know. I’m way over If’n.

They have the brightest offensive mind and best play caller in football .... hard to match that.
I pointed that out and hope that DeMeco can bring that to the table for the Texans. They also had the best defense in the league.
The wild card will be offensive coaching and play calling. Slowik has no play calling experience, so we don't have a clue how he's going to call a game or coach up players.

San Fran won without a marquee QB. They made it to the NFCCG with Jimmy G and Mr. Irrelative. Superior scheme and coaching. I hope DeMeco can bring that.
The 49ers' actions have said that they would like a marquee QB. Jimmy G was given a quality starters contract when signed and the 49ers traded lots of draft capital for Lance who was a QB high in physical traits, but short on experience.

The 49ers' actions have said that they would like a marquee QB. Jimmy G was given a quality starters contract when signed and the 49ers traded lots of draft capital for Lance who was a QB high in physical traits, but short on experience.
IMO, the only reason they drafted Lance is because Jimmy G can't stay healthy. The best ability is availability. Kind of ironic that Lance had a season-ending injury in just his second game as the acknowledged starter.

IMO, the only reason they drafted Lance is because Jimmy G can't stay healthy. The best ability is availability. Kind of ironic that Lance had a season-ending injury in just his second game as the acknowledged starter.

Possible, but they did not just go grab a guy.

The way that I look at it the multi-year plan was Jimmy G with Lance sitting (21), Lance back-up with Jimmy G (22), and sending Jimmy G and his high-priced extension on his way no matter what (23). The 49ers went for high-upside over very goodness, imo. Mr. irrelevant turning out to be relevant surprised even them.

BTW, I don't want to get too far away from the general point that the Texans will need to build a complete team in order to compete in the current AFC over the next few years. Assuming that the next QB hits for the Texans, Houston might not have a top 5 QB in the AFC. The example of the 49ers is good, but they have pretty much everything but the high-end QB.

Here is the worst what if situation. We get Young or Stroud and they don't play that well. Meanwhile, taken in the 2nd round Hooker is showing pro bowl ability and year 2 we need a QB still and Hooker is a pro bowl QB.

Thoughts?

Why would it be worse than if Levis or Richardson are good and the one the Texans choose sucks?

Here is the worst what if situation. We get Young or Stroud and they don't play that well. Meanwhile, taken in the 2nd round Hooker is showing pro bowl ability and year 2 we need a QB still and Hooker is a pro bowl QB.

Thoughts?
I think both those guys could play well but they gonna need plenty help from their Oline, their backs and their receivers.

I am in no way blaming him, but I'm not betting he is Patrick Mahomes either
Best thing about Hook, to me, is that no one is talking about overspending with a top 12 pick to get him.

Our next QB will be a bridge QB whether we draft him with 1.2 or 7.32

This year will be a "see what ya got" year. Enjoy the process.

Thoughts?
Why would you draft a qb after 1 year if the qb struggles a bit. More times than not, the rookie qb is going to have some struggles, but the key is to show growth and not repeating mistakes. What if Stroud or Young look like the real deal early ? How much will that advance the team?

Nah, they saw his limitations. After that, they wanted someone who could threaten the entire field and a qb who could make plays even everything wasn't perfect.

Thoughts?

The worst what-if would be the Panthers taking a QB at 1.1 who goes on to be a perennial star while we are stuck taking the other at 1.2 because Lovie was either vindictive or an idiot.

That was something we could control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The AFC South could show a huge change at the QB position. We take Stroud or Young and the Colts wind up taking Richardson and the Titans take Levis. The South COULD wind up having the strongest QB group of any division in about three years. Frankly the Colts having Richardson and him actually winding up being a good NFL QB scares the crap out of me.

The AFC South could show a huge change at the QB position. We take Stroud or Young and the Colts wind up taking Richardson and the Titans take Levis. The South COULD wind up having the strongest QB group of any division in about three years. Frankly the Colts having Richardson and him actually winding up being a good NFL QB scares the crap out of me.

It would just be the Texans luck that whenever we finally get good, so does the rest of the AFC South. :lol:

The worst what-if would be the Panthers taking a QB at 1.1 who goes on to be a perennial star while we are stuck taking the other at 1.2 because Lovie was either vindictive or an idiot.
Imagine, if you will, the best QB in a generation is about to fall to the 12th overall pick & you’ve got a deal in hand to get him, if he falls that far.

Then somebody jumps you & takes him at 10.

That team goes on to win Super Bowls & your team wins 4 games while leading the league in passing.

But somehow you think you’d have won a Super Bowl if you had gotten that other QB.

Imagine, if you will, the best QB in a generation is about to fall to the 12th overall pick & you’ve got a deal in hand to get him, if he falls that far.

Then somebody jumps you & takes him at 10.

That team goes on to win Super Bowls & your team wins 4 games while leading the league in passing.

But somehow you think you’d have won a Super Bowl if you had gotten that other QB.

:thinking:

That sounds awfully familiar for some reason.

Expecting all of those QBs you mentioned to turn out to be something is a stretch. When's the last draft that had 4 QBs turn out good? It doesn't happen often.

Actually, I probably wouldn't mind the Colts and Titans getting Richardson and Levis. I just don't think either one is all that.

That was something we could control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I heard a radio dj in Carolina say "And the pick for the Panthers is in. With the 1st overall pick Panthers take Bryce Young. So, every other team can stop wondering" Now, the question is was that legit or just talk? It was on an XM station. I only heard that part as I was looking for something to listen on the way to work. And got to work it was the last thing on and then I turned off the car

Expecting all of those QBs you mentioned to turn out to be something is a stretch. When's the last draft that had 4 QBs turn out good? It doesn't happen often.

Actually, I probably wouldn't mind the Colts and Titans getting Richardson and Levis. I just don't think either one is all that.

Richardson could potentially be amazing. Just needs a good coach and to design a system that uses the tools he has. And a year to sit, learn and put it all together. If that happens he will be a pro bowl player. Levis, I am starting to think, feels he is already great. Meaning that he will not take coaching well and could become a locker room cancer

Joe Burrow
Tua Tagovailoa
Justin Herbert
Jalen Hurts

1681263940576.png

Richardson could potentially be amazing. Just needs a good coach and to design a system that uses the tools he has. And a year to sit, learn and put it all together. If that happens he will be a pro bowl player. Levis, I am starting to think, feels he is already great. Meaning that he will not take coaching well and could become a locker room cancer

I think "locker room cancer" is a bit much but the point about coaching is well made. Every one of these guys (and probably a couple more past this group) could in theory play in the NFL if they can take coaching, keep their minds focused, and learn. The entire modern era of the NFL has shown us that it's not a common ability. Every year dozens of physical ability guys don't make teams or are lucky to get on a practice squad. Levis, like the rest of them could be a beast if he can do that but of all these his ego seems to be the biggest. If I were the Texans when I met with him I'd make a point of seeing if he's like that in person behind closed doors and if he's not then I'm interested. Someone should have told him long before he got the draft that he needs to keep it humble.

I get a Ryan Leaf vibe from Levis. Maybe I've got the guy wrong and he'll be the best locker room guy, be humble, hard worker, etc.

Or maybe I'm right and he'll be a straight-up asshole that most of the team secretly hates and is tossed out on his ear in 2-3 wasted years.

Truth tends to be somewhere in the middle of extremes. Time will tell, but he's 5th on my list personally. If the Texans have him rated very highly...they better hit if you're taking a gamble on a guy like this.

I get a Ryan Leaf vibe from Levis. Maybe I've got the guy wrong and he'll be the best locker room guy, be humble, hard worker, etc.

Or maybe I'm right and he'll be a straight-up asshole that most of the team secretly hates and is tossed out on his ear in 2-3 wasted years.

Truth tends to be somewhere in the middle of extremes. Time will tell, but he's 5th on my list personally. If the Texans have him rated very highly...they better hit if you're taking a gamble on a guy like this.

At this point I'd like to see them take Anthony Richardson if they're gonna QB higher up.

I don't know for sure whether boom or bust happens, but I hope the Texans are the team to find out. Love this guy's attitude and character, as demonstrated in this manifesto. And his throwing mechanics are really strong, so I don't worry about the accuracy stuff with minor tweaks. I hope Caserio goes for it.

10000% I have more doubts about Levis translating than Richardson. All that TikTok stuff and other things... I get bad 'look at me' vibes from him. Richardson I believe is going to translate to the NFL. All that dude's measurables are better and even if he struggles early in the passing game, the read option threat with Richardson is huge and other teams will have to spy and guys will get open. Richardson is a big play machine waiting to happen, with SOLID attitude and work ethic to boot.

Caserio has a real opportunity to change the origanization not just a obtain a simple upgrade.

I don't know for sure whether boom or bust happens, but I hope the Texans are the team to find out. Love this guy's attitude and character, as demonstrated in this manifesto. And his throwing mechanics are really strong, so I don't worry about the accuracy stuff with minor tweaks. I hope Caserio goes for it.

I like Richardson, he seems to be smart and a good character family guy. The only question is would he fit our system or could we build it around him? And would he be allowed to sit and learn from the staff and vets for a season? If so I honestly think he very well could be the best QB in the draft

I like Anderson and he seems to be smart and a good character family guy. The only question is would he fit our system or could we build it around him? And would he be allowed to sit and learn from the staff and vets for a season? If so I honestly think he very well could be the best QB in the draft
Say what???

And this is exactly why you trade back. Pick up a first for next year plus picks for this year.

Next year on paper is a better QB class. But, the question is what do we do this year? I think the Will Anderson at 1.4 or 1.5 (trade), then at 12 Jaxon Smith-Njigba and last trade into the bottom of the 1st for either Hooker or Levis who according to many talking heads will be there. If we luck out we have our QB. If not you can trade up next year with the picks we have. Because we won't be picking top say 5 next year. We likely will be 5 or more wins

Next year on paper is a better QB class. But, the question is what do we do this year? I think the Will Anderson at 1.4 or 1.5 (trade), then at 12 Jaxon Smith-Njigba and last trade into the bottom of the 1st for either Hooker or Levis who according to many talking heads will be there. If we luck out we have our QB. If not you can trade up next year with the picks we have. Because we won't be picking top say 5 next year. We likely will be 5 or more wins
Anderson won't fall to 4 or 5, not so high on JSN, how much will it cost to trade up for Hooker? No Levis please

Back