Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Sentiment Check: Which QB Are You Selecting With The #1.2 Overall Pick (March 8, 2023)

If You Were GM, Which QB Are You Selecting With The #1.2 Overall Pick

• Total voters

Number19

Hall of Fame
This draft is impossible. Too many unknowns. We don't have Young's medical results. We don't know what will happen with #1. We don't know who will offer to trade with us at #2. We don't know what will be offered. We have no inking how DeMeco, Caserio or Slowik will approach the draft.

With what little is known I'd take the generational, franchise qb - Bryce Young - at #2. If he's gone, I'd trade back.

justmy2cents

All Pro
Contributor's Club
This draft is impossible. Too many unknowns. We don't have Young's medical results. We don't know what will happen with #1. We don't know who will offer to trade with us at #2. We don't know what will be offered. We have no inking how DeMeco, Caserio or Slowik will approach the draft.

With what little is known I'd take the generational, franchise qb - Bryce Young - at #2. If he's gone, I'd trade back.

Yeah, I agree with all you said #19, this is a tough one to get a feel for .... I'd prefer CJ. Too many prospects refusing to test .... thank you to Evan Neal - " If they want to measure my numbers, they can draft me." Now there's the words of a "team man" !

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
If either Richardson or Levis are still left at the 12th pick, let the Texans take a QB then. At least we won't be saddled with either Young or Stroud.
Being saddled by Richardson or Levis is better than being saddled by Young or Stroud? That makes no sense.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans

Young nor Stroud are generational QB’s. As you mentioned in your post, too many questions and not enough answers on the (4) QB’s forcing the analyst’s saliva buttons.

I feel like anyone that’s available in the first 15 picks has an equivalent available late in RD1, RD2, or RD3.

Trade back and stock up on some real draft equity.

BullRushTX

To'oTo'o A'go-go
I picked Stroud because he's probably the safest QB to pick. I suspect he has the highest floor, but also the lowest ceiling. I think any of the other top 3 could end up being great, but they also have a higher chance of flaming out.

If I'm the GM and my job is possibly on the line with this pick, do I trust Levis to fix his accuracy and decision making, Young's ability to overcome his small frame at the NFL level, or Richardson's boom or bust potential?

banned1976

sleeper mode
I'd trade back to 7 with the Raiders and draft Tyree Wilson (preferably) or Myles Murphy. Or Will Levis if the Texans like him. Keep stockpiling future draft picks and if necessary, use them to move up next year.

TexanBorn51

Veteran
Stay put or trade back. Fill in the needed positions offense/defense and patiently still get a QB not necessarily first round if in fact they trade down. A great talented team with draft picks and 22 very talented players at one time on the field can make a QB look really good. That includes the coaches too. Texans will pick a QB no doubt but if not early within the first 2 picks I won't lose sleep over. Now make those non QB picks count and also because of certain positions some will be starters. The top ranked QBs this year imho are all a give and take situation.

Last edited:

TexanBorn51

Veteran
To be fair, there seems to be a consensus on Levis
Poll says which one for 1.2 or trade down. 1.2 is not Levis but if they trade down below 1.12 Levis Hooker Richardson a few others mentioned may still be there late 1st and 2-3 rounds. We just don't know the trade down deals if in fact it happens. I think other teams will take the Young Stroud thing early. I may be wrong who knows the Texans may pick one of them. We shall see

The Pencil Neck

Hall of Fame
Personally, I'm not the greatest draftnik in the world, but I'm not sold on any of these guys becoming my franchise QB. I don't want to spend a first round draft pick on an EJ Manuel or a Geno Smith.

I'd prefer to solidify the defense, the o-line, and maybe nab some upgrades at skill positions and then draft another QB I might be able to develop but won't mind swapping out if a better option comes along.

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
Personally, I'm not the greatest draftnik in the world, but I'm not sold on any of these guys becoming my franchise QB. I don't want to spend a first round draft pick on an EJ Manuel or a Geno Smith.

I'd prefer to solidify the defense, the o-line, and maybe nab some upgrades at skill positions and then draft another QB I might be able to develop but won't mind swapping out if a better option comes along.
Are you sold on being able to surefire solidify the defense, the o-line, and maybe nab some upgrades at skill positions in the weakest overall draft since 2013?

It's not as though all the other positions in this draft are stockpiled with locks any more so than anyone from this QB group.

And I don't say this to absolutely vouch for any particular QB either, just that there are question marks everywhere this year. QB isn't necessarily any more result prohibitive than DL, LB, OL, WR, etc.

Number19

Hall of Fame
I'm a bit surprised there has been no comment on what I consider a major red flag hanging over Stroud; and that is Zierlein's observation at the "surprise at how far behind he was from a football standpoint". One of those little intangibles.

Decim8

Veteran
I'm a bit surprised there has been no comment on what I consider a major red flag hanging over Stroud; and that is Zierlein's observation at the "surprise at how far behind he was from a football standpoint". One of those little intangibles.
Ohhh I thought he was talking about Richardson

Number19

Hall of Fame
Ohhh I thought he was talking about Richardson
If you go to the top of the original link to the video clip, the conversation was about Stroud. So I'm assuming the Twitter comment was also about Stroud.
(edit) I assumed the video clip was of the pod cast Zierlein referred to.

Last edited:

The Pencil Neck

Hall of Fame
Are you sold on being able to surefire solidify the defense, the o-line, and maybe nab some upgrades at skill positions in the weakest overall draft since 2013?

It's not as though all the other positions in this draft are stockpiled with locks any more so than anyone from this QB group.

And I don't say this to absolutely vouch for any particular QB either, just that there are question marks everywhere this year. QB isn't necessarily any more result prohibitive than DL, LB, OL, WR, etc.
I'm more sold on the other positions that I am on the QBs. I think we can improve our edge rush situation quite a bit and pick up a skill position improvement on day 1, and then improve the interior of our OL on the second day.

Texian

Hall of Fame
Can't link, but it's in the 2023 Texans Draft Discussion thread #3198.

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
I'm more sold on the other positions that I am on the QBs. I think we can improve our edge rush situation quite a bit and pick up a skill position improvement on day 1, and then improve the interior of our OL on the second day.
Fair enough, we can agree to disagree on the confidence in the other positions. I think it's by and large kinda grim.

And I guess more specifically to the point it's just as easy to say that we can improve our QB situation dramatically than we can improve any other position a whole lot at all.

But ya bud, to every each one their own.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
For the simple reason the Texans are in year 3 of their first year rebuild adding picks for 2023 and the future is the prudent thing to do. In order to WIN you must WIN on the front lines.
How many high 1st rd picks the Eagles and Chiefs have? You can win in the trenches, but doesn't mean you have to use high 1st rd picks on those players. Where was Jones and Clark drafted? What about Cox and Reddick? Kelce, Brown among others were drafted and developed..

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!

Whats to say you don't draft another Clowney or Courtney Brown on the d-line. There are as many busts high in the draft at other positions as there are qbs.

Number19

Hall of Fame
Those two tweets are completely different discussions.

The top/first one is about Stroud. The latter is about Richardson.
That may be the case, but it's certainly not apparent in the post, mixing two different conversations like that without identifying it as two different conversations.

I don't twitter so I really have no idea how you know this.

(edit) OK figured it out.

Anyhow, thanks for clearing this up.

Last edited:

xtruroyaltyx

Hall of Fame
I would be fine with any of the QB's at 1.2, but I chose trade back because just like I'd be fine with any of them @ 1.2 I'd also be fine with any of them a little bit later as well. I'm usually anti trade back at the top of the draft but there's quite a few guys on the defensive side of the ball that I'd like to get that I see as difference makers.

Young has better potential but he is UNDERSIZED. You all know our o-line status

Stroud I like too, but the chest puffing recently kinda worries me. Puffing chest but he looks like he bout to cry or sumthing
weirding me out

Richardson..... he just cant Lamar and his even a poorer passer than lamar

Levi ...... He looks prototypical. If we somehow get another 1st rounder and still get him maybe. Were locked on to Young or Stroud.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
I'm not taking any of those QB's at 1-2 or 1-12.

Give me Will Anderson or Jalen Carter at 2.

At 12 I'm open to a list of players at any number of positions (WR,OT,Edge,TE).

I'll take Hooker in the 2nd round and let him sit a year behind Mills or Garoppolo if they manage to ink him to a deal.

I don't believe in any of these 1st round QB's.

The Pencil Neck

Hall of Fame
Whats to say you don't draft another Clowney or Courtney Brown on the d-line. There are as many busts high in the draft at other positions as there are qbs.
Nothing.

Like I told Mollywhopper, I have greater confidence in the defensive players in this draft than the QBs. What you're telling me is that I should ignore how I feel about these players and should instead draft someone I have doubts about because YOU don't have those same doubts.

And the guy we should have taken in that 2014 draft wasn't Bortles but Donald.

But none of that matters because it's a question about opinion.