Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

NFL Random Thought of the Day

But the NFL's priority is the "FAN EXPERIENCE"!!! :bubble:

************************************************************************************************

Ongoing Sunday Ticket antitrust litigation could reveal plenty of NFL secrets
Posted by Mike Florio on May 6, 2023, 1:38 PM EDT

The NFL strongly prefers to resolve all claims against it secretly, so that the league can keep its secrets. Regarding the Sunday Ticket package, some fairly intriguing secrets could eventually be revealed.

During draft week (that’s my excuse for not getting to this sooner), Daniel Kaplan of TheAthletic.com posted an item regarding some of the information that has come to light during the ongoing Sunday Ticket antitrust litigation. Because the case is proceeding in open court and not through the league’s internal arbitration processes, things the league would rather be quiet are getting out.

First, a ruling from the presiding judge regarding a squabble about documents produced by the NFL disclosed the full list of options for Sunday Ticket, post-DirecTV. Beyond YouTube, the candidates were Apple, Amazon, Roku, and ESPN. The league also considered making the package directly available to consumers.

Second, further disclosures could show that the talks with Apple failed because Apple wanted to make the package significantly cheaper for consumers. The plaintiffs in the Sunday Ticket antitrust litigation essentially are arguing that the league has withheld documents that would show Apple wasn’t selected due to its plan to offer the package for less than consumers have been paying.

It has been suggested that Sunday Ticket can’t be offered at a significantly lower price, due to the NFL’s contracts with CBS and Fox. Beyond the price of the full package, Apple might have wanted to allow consumers to buy Sunday Ticket for all games of only one team, or one week or game at a time.

As it stands, Sunday Ticket continues to be an all-or-nothing proposition. One large, flat fee for everything. If you only want Packers games, you have to take the rest. If you only want certain weeks, you have to take them all.

Regardless of the outcome of the pending case, a potential P.R. disaster is looming for the league, if/when fans realize the lengths to which the “football is family” crowd has gone to make it unreasonably more expensive for families across the country to watch only the out-of-market games they want to see.

If, for example, the NFL could have gotten the same money from Apple for Sunday Ticket and consumers could have gotten the games for less, that’s about as bad of a look as the NFL could have to some of its most rabid and loyal customers.

Schedules will be released on Thursday with changes included this year (1) 10 teams playing in five international games (2) CBS and Fox will unveil select individual games (3) NFL will be holding a Black Friday for the first time (4) Early announcement will end on May 11 when ABC and NBC will reveal games in air on each network. Teams could be given two Thursday Games, Christmas triple header Monday).

Reactions: JB
Schedules will be released on Thursday with changes included this year (1) 10 teams playing in five international games (2) CBS and Fox will unveil select individual games (3) NFL will be holding a Black Friday for the first time (4) Early announcement will end on May 11 when ABC and NBC will reveal games in air on each network. Teams could be given two Thursday Games, Christmas triple header Monday).
I thought they were delaying the schedule release

This is why women don’t come forward.

A minor who was purposely given alcohol is gang raped while passed out drunk, bruised around her neck, a laceration on her forehead, among other injuries and bleeding from her vagina gets a rape kit done the following day and reports the crime.

Nothing happens.

So Araiza wasn't at the party at the time of the alleged rape, and prosecutors could not determine if a rape occurred from watching the video.

Sometimes that happens.

So Araiza wasn't at the party at the time of the alleged rape, and prosecutors could not determine if a rape occurred from watching the video.

Sometimes that happens.

Beyond sad. She did real harm to other women by her apparent false accusations:

I hope Araiza is able to get a job back in the NFL and isn’t left bagging groceries the rest of his life.

From the article:

“Amador also explained to the girl that additional witness testimony alleged that at this period of time, “you were approaching men at the party saying, ‘I want you to [expletive] me and if you don’t [expletive] me you’re a [expletive].”

“You had returned and then came back and said you had sex with a guy, this would have been the second person that would have been in the progression of the evening,” Amador said. “Again, you’re described as being OK, not scared or distraught. Seemed happy, seemed consensual.”

“A witness who was in the house gave a statement saying that at — at least one point in the party, that you made a statement telling people at the party you were 18,” Amador explained to the accuser. “Another witness at the party, a different one, says that they specifically heard you say you were 18 …”

Just some additional facts concerning Lewan's ACL repair performed in 2020. The lawsuit accuses renowned orthopedic surgeon Dr. James Andrews for medical malpractice. The negligence involved was for not using a specific graft, injuring surrounding knee cartilage, not repairing the medial meniscus, failing to supervise residents and fellows, and failing to provide proper care after surgery.

Lewan, a 6-foot-7, 309-pound tackle, was the 11th pick overall out of Michigan in 2014 by Tennessee. He went to three straight Pro Bowls between 2016 and 2018 and started 100 of 105 games played for the Titans.

Now 31, Lewan originally injured his right ACL on Oct. 18, 2020, in a win over Houston and was placed on injured reserve. He had surgery to repair his knee Oct. 27, returned in 2021 and started 13 games. In June 2022, Lewan described playing that season as a mental and physical grind.

Lewan then tore the same ACL in the second game of the 2022 season. The Titans released him Feb. 22 with the nine-year veteran due $14.8 million in the final year of his contract after the knee injuries limited him to 25 of 50 regular-season games over the past three seasons.
LINK

I'll be waiting for the day that the NFL announces that they will begin to offer some games only on pay-per-view stations.

****************************************************************************************************

The 2023 schedule will make a major break from tradition

This one isn’t really news, because it was announced a long time ago. But with the 2023 schedule release only three days away, it makes sense to focus on the most dramatic shift that will be seen in the official slate of 272 games.

For the first time ever, no network will be tied to any Sunday afternoon games. No network is tied to any of the 1:00 p.m. ET and 4:05 p.m./4:25 p.m. ET games.

For years, CBS was the default network for the NFC, with NBC handling the AFC games. Then, in 1994, Fox stole the NFC package from CBS. Four years later, CBS took the AFC package from NBC.

Now, there is no “package” for either network. What started as periodic cross-flexing will become open season.

That will only intensify the jockeying and politicking that occurs as the networks compete for as many of the best games as possible. Fox, for example, no longer has a stranglehold on the Cowboys, and CBS can no longer lay claim to the Chiefs or the Patriots (or, for at least this year, the Jets).

Under the old rules, CBS had all Sunday afternoon games involving two AFC teams — and any interconference games in which the AFC team was the visitor. Fox had all Sunday afternoon games involving two NFC teams, along with any interconference games with the NFC team on the road.

As noted by Peter King in Monday’s Football Morning in America column, the change is complicating the process of crafting the schedule. With the AFC currently the far more competitive of the conferences, it’s coming at a perfect time for Fox, which gladly will give up its stranglehold on NFC games for a big slice of the AFC pie.

And it will become a fascinating wrinkle when the time comes to examine the schedule and see whether it’s a 50-50 split, or whether there is still evidence in the assignment of games that the NFC skews toward Fox, and the AFC to CBS.

I'll be waiting for the day that the NFL announces that they will begin to offer some games only on pay-per-view stations.

****************************************************************************************************

The 2023 schedule will make a major break from tradition

This one isn’t really news, because it was announced a long time ago. But with the 2023 schedule release only three days away, it makes sense to focus on the most dramatic shift that will be seen in the official slate of 272 games.

For the first time ever, no network will be tied to any Sunday afternoon games. No network is tied to any of the 1:00 p.m. ET and 4:05 p.m./4:25 p.m. ET games.

For years, CBS was the default network for the NFC, with NBC handling the AFC games. Then, in 1994, Fox stole the NFC package from CBS. Four years later, CBS took the AFC package from NBC.

Now, there is no “package” for either network. What started as periodic cross-flexing will become open season.

That will only intensify the jockeying and politicking that occurs as the networks compete for as many of the best games as possible. Fox, for example, no longer has a stranglehold on the Cowboys, and CBS can no longer lay claim to the Chiefs or the Patriots (or, for at least this year, the Jets).

Under the old rules, CBS had all Sunday afternoon games involving two AFC teams — and any interconference games in which the AFC team was the visitor. Fox had all Sunday afternoon games involving two NFC teams, along with any interconference games with the NFC team on the road.

As noted by Peter King in Monday’s Football Morning in America column, the change is complicating the process of crafting the schedule. With the AFC currently the far more competitive of the conferences, it’s coming at a perfect time for Fox, which gladly will give up its stranglehold on NFC games for a big slice of the AFC pie.

And it will become a fascinating wrinkle when the time comes to examine the schedule and see whether it’s a 50-50 split, or whether there is still evidence in the assignment of games that the NFC skews toward Fox, and the AFC to CBS.

I could see Thanksgiving games going pay per view.

If that would actually happen I'd expect some really PO'd fans to get Congress and/or the Prez involved to restore access to those games.

I'm probably in the minority here but as long as I can watch the Texans without having to pay extra I could live with it.
Guess I am not as passionate about the NFL as most fans seem to be. I do enjoy watching the Cowboys lose, but not enough to pay to see it.

I imagine the two spring leagues would love for it to happen. Open up all kinds of opportunity to compete against the NFL.

I really like Hanna's addition to the front office. Got a feeling she is a no nonsense presence there:whip:. No proof of anything, just an opinion.

:coffee:

NFLSpongebobOuttaHere.jpg

The thing for me is that as much as I enjoy the NFL, it's still just another form of entertainment at the end of the day. And in a society that is drowning in various entertainment options, I can easily find something else to amuse me and waste my finite free time. lol

View attachment 12079

The thing for me is that as much as I enjoy the NFL, it's still just another form of entertainment at the end of the day. And in a society that is drowning in various entertainment options, I can easily find something else to amuse me and waste my finite free time. lol
Even if it's pay per view, there will still be free streaming options. At worst, the full game can be watched tomorrow

Even if it's pay per view, there will still be free streaming options. At worst, the full game can be watched tomorrow

Free streaming options and public backlash are why I don't see this ever becoming a reality. I don't doubt the nfls greed for a second, but I also dont doubt their clearly successful business acumen.

Fat guaranteed bajillion dollar tv contracts versus iffy ppv buys. I just don't see it.

I can see more ads. Or ads running continually on the screen during live action.

Won't matter when people put their pirate flag up. There's a reason Dana White's been so incensed with illegal streaming - he can't really stop it and it does a world of hurt to his bottom line.

Looks like this wasn't Carter's first speeding rodeo.

*************************************************************************************

Jalen Carter faces lawsuit in death of former teammate Devin Willock
Posted by Charean Williams on May 10, 2023, 6:34 PM EDT

USA TODAY SportsEagles rookie Jalen Carter faces a lawsuit stemming from a car crash that killed his former Georgia teammate, Devin Willock, Shehan Jeyarajah of CBS Sports reports.Dave Willock Sr., Willock’s father, seeks $40 million in a case filed Tuesday against the school’s athletic association, Carter and others. The suit alleges wrongful death, negligent hiring and negligence.
https://trk.healthy-tracker.com/4195dafb-bcd9-416d-a0b0-4e85eeb4651e

Carter pleaded no contest to two misdemeanor charges of racing and reckless driving and was sentenced to 12 months probation, fined $1,000 and required to complete 80 hours of community service. He also must complete a state-approved driving course. ha

A police investigation determined Carter and an SUV driven by Georgia staffer Chandler LeCroy were racing in the early morning hours of Jan. 15. LeCroy’s car crashed, killing her and her passenger, Willock, a Georgia offensive lineman, and injuring former Georgia player Warren McClendon and staffer Tory Bowles.

LeCroy’s blood alcohol level was more than twice the legal limit, according to a toxicology report.

In addition to the school and Carter, the lawsuit also names the estate of LeCroy, Sarchione Auto Group — which provided Carter with a 2021 Jeep Cherokee Trackhawk in an NIL deal — and strip club Toppers International Showbar as defendants, per Jeyarajah.

The lawsuit seeks $30 million from the defendants in compensatory damages and an additional $10 million in punitive damages.

It alleges Carter had a “pattern of excessive speeding” that the car dealership should have taken under consideration after multiple speeding tickets. He previously was fined $1,013 after being cited for going nearly 90 mph in a 45 mph zone.
The Eagles made Carter the ninth overall pick in last month’s draft.

• Wow
Reactions: JB
Just some additional facts concerning Lewan's ACL repair performed in 2020. The lawsuit accuses renowned orthopedic surgeon Dr. James Andrews for medical malpractice. The negligence involved was for not using a specific graft, injuring surrounding knee cartilage, not repairing the medial meniscus, failing to supervise residents and fellows, and failing to provide proper care after surgery.

Lewan, a 6-foot-7, 309-pound tackle, was the 11th pick overall out of Michigan in 2014 by Tennessee. He went to three straight Pro Bowls between 2016 and 2018 and started 100 of 105 games played for the Titans.

Now 31, Lewan originally injured his right ACL on Oct. 18, 2020, in a win over Houston and was placed on injured reserve. He had surgery to repair his knee Oct. 27, returned in 2021 and started 13 games. In June 2022, Lewan described playing that season as a mental and physical grind.

Lewan then tore the same ACL in the second game of the 2022 season. The Titans released him Feb. 22 with the nine-year veteran due $14.8 million in the final year of his contract after the knee injuries limited him to 25 of 50 regular-season games over the past three seasons.
LINK

Bye Bye.................

Jacksonville mayor: Renovations at stadium could force Jaguars out for two years
Posted by Mike Florio on May 11, 2023, 6:32 AM EDT

And Curry called that “the best-case scenario.”

Bauerlein explains that this is the first time any public official has said that renovations to the venue would displace the Jaguars. It’s unclear where the Jaguars would play their Jacksonville-based games.

“The goal would be to play somewhere in Jacksonville,” Curry said. “Those discussions are happening, but two years is the goal. . . . I do know that they are considering certain sites that are local that could accommodate them for at least two years.”

Curry suggested that, under the current timeline, the Jaguars would be impacted in 2025 and 2026.
Capacity, and in turn revenue, would be critical to the assessment — especially since the Jaguars could pack the stands, and stuff their coffers, with revenue by moving one or more of the Jacksonville games to their home away from home, a long way from home.

The news comes at a time when, as we noted on Wednesday, the doubling of the team’s total games in London next season makes it even more clear that, if any of the current 32 teams would be moved to across the Atlantic Ocean to fill out a four-team European division (and barring four expansion teams at least one will), the Jaguars are the top candidate to go, by far.

If the Jaguars are knocked out of their current Jacksonville venue and if there is no suitable alternative in town, the choices would be Orlando (141 miles away) or London. While it might be locally popular for the Jaguars to openly nudge the decision toward London, it would be a surprise if they abruptly and immediately rule out the possibility of playing somewhere between more and all of their home games in England for those two years.

Through it all, the team’s lease in Jacksonville runs through 2029. Which opens the door to a full relocation at the end of the current decade.

Bye Bye.................

Jacksonville mayor: Renovations at stadium could force Jaguars out for two years
Posted by Mike Florio on May 11, 2023, 6:32 AM EDT

And Curry called that “the best-case scenario.”

Bauerlein explains that this is the first time any public official has said that renovations to the venue would displace the Jaguars. It’s unclear where the Jaguars would play their Jacksonville-based games.

“The goal would be to play somewhere in Jacksonville,” Curry said. “Those discussions are happening, but two years is the goal. . . . I do know that they are considering certain sites that are local that could accommodate them for at least two years.”

Curry suggested that, under the current timeline, the Jaguars would be impacted in 2025 and 2026.
Capacity, and in turn revenue, would be critical to the assessment — especially since the Jaguars could pack the stands, and stuff their coffers, with revenue by moving one or more of the Jacksonville games to their home away from home, a long way from home.

The news comes at a time when, as we noted on Wednesday, the doubling of the team’s total games in London next season makes it even more clear that, if any of the current 32 teams would be moved to across the Atlantic Ocean to fill out a four-team European division (and barring four expansion teams at least one will), the Jaguars are the top candidate to go, by far.

If the Jaguars are knocked out of their current Jacksonville venue and if there is no suitable alternative in town, the choices would be Orlando (141 miles away) or London. While it might be locally popular for the Jaguars to openly nudge the decision toward London, it would be a surprise if they abruptly and immediately rule out the possibility of playing somewhere between more and all of their home games in England for those two years.

Through it all, the team’s lease in Jacksonville runs through 2029. Which opens the door to a full relocation at the end of the current decade.
How does the two home games in Europe affect their stadium agreement?

How does the two home games in Europe affect their stadium agreement?
The NFL reimburses teams for the loss of home games...............then they give them an additional $1 million.

Here is a detailed article on the NFL sending teams to Europe. How teams are chosen since volunteering was not so appetizing to good teams...........has changed to a mandatory rotation. So now the "fan experience" is diluted, and will become further diluted, for potential NFL profits in Europe. Has any of you benefited of this "NFL fan experience"? Cheaper tickets, cheaper food, cheaper parking, cheaper Sunday ticket ???

Why Does the NFL Keep Sending Trash Games to London?
Sunday brings the 30th NFL game played in London. Those games, on average, have been absolutely dreadful. Just how bad has it been? Let’s break it down.

The NFL reimburses teams for the loss of home games...............then they give them an additional $1 million.

Here is a detailed article on the NFL sending teams to Europe. How teams are chosen since volunteering was not so appetizing to good teams...........has changed to a mandatory rotation. So now the "fan experience" is diluted, and will become further diluted, for potential NFL profits in Europe. Has any of you benefited of this "NFL fan experience"? Cheaper tickets, cheaper food, cheaper parking, cheaper Sunday ticket ???

Why Does the NFL Keep Sending Trash Games to London?
Sunday brings the 30th NFL game played in London. Those games, on average, have been absolutely dreadful. Just how bad has it been? Let’s break it down.
Thank you, but I was asking more about the Stadium end of it. Surely the team pays the fees regardless if they play there or not. But they're still losing money on concessions, parking, etc...

This is probably it. They'll end up looking like NASCAR drivers at some point, covered in various corporate ads.
The end game probably looks like Rollerball. Totally corporate. But until then, I'll celebrate the game and the players. I think that's why I've always been a player first fan. I just can't relate to the corporate bosses that want to have iron fisted control.

Why should it affect it at all? The lease is for a certain time limit, not the number of events
I heard on NFL radio that the Jags will need to find another stadium for homes games starting next year while the stadium in Jacksonville is upgraded. Likely University of Florida's stadium. So I would expect multiple games in Europe to be a thing for the Jags for a while.

That could play havoc with ticket holders' schedules and their ability to attend a Sunday game but not a Monday night game. But I guess the NFL doesn't consider that interfering with those fans' game day experience. :shades:

PFT
NFL may use flexible scheduling to move Sunday afternoon games to Monday night
Posted by Michael David Smith on May 12, 2023, 12:57 PM EDT

The NFL has used flexible scheduling for years, sometimes improving Sunday Night Football by taking a big Sunday afternoon game and moving it into prime time. This year, the NFL will expand that, with the possibility of moving a Sunday afternoon game to Monday Night Football.

As the league explained to reporters today, flex scheduling will continue on Sunday nights and has now expanded to Monday nights as well. From Week 12 to Week 17, if the game scheduled for Monday Night Football is not looking like a good matchup, the league has the opportunity to move a Sunday afternoon game into Monday night. The league will make the final decision on flexing Monday night games 12 days in advance.

CBS and Fox will each be able to protect one game every Sunday, so ESPN will never get the best Sunday afternoon game on Monday Night Football. But there’s a possibility that a good game scheduled for Sunday afternoon will get moved to Monday night, and a bad game scheduled for Monday night will get moved to Sunday afternoon.

That’s better for ESPN and better for the fans watching on TV — no one wants to see two teams that are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs in prime time. But many fans who buy tickets don’t like it. If you have tickets for a late-season game, you have to be ready for the possibility that the league will change the kickoff time by more than 24 hours.

Back