Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

NFL Random Thought of the Day

I don't get it..............you get rewarded to fair catch on the 10 yd line?............and the kicker is penalized for a good kick?

******************************************************************************************************

NFL Approves Putting Ball On 25-Yard-Line Following Fair Catches On Kickoffs
Last Updated 11:48 AM, May 23, 2023 EDT – Josh Alper

Lame.

NFL: "We care about player safety so we are going to eliminate kickoffs".

Also NFL: "YOU WILL PLAY AS MANY THURSDAY NIGHT GAMES AS WE DEMAND!!!!!"

The duplicity of the league is part of their DNA. Greedy basturds.

I don't get it..............you get rewarded to fair catch on the 10 yd line?............and the kicker is penalized for a good kick?

******************************************************************************************************

NFL Approves Putting Ball On 25-Yard-Line Following Fair Catches On Kickoffs
Last Updated 11:48 AM, May 23, 2023 EDT – Josh Alper
Yep. This is ridiculous. The returner is going to do everything in their power to catch the ball now. No more letting it go and the kicking team downing it at the 1. I can see this causing more injuries too. The punter will just squib kick it and the returner will end up getting annihilated while trying to pick it up.

No one watches a kickoff other than the opening and an onsides. People are in the bathroom, the concession stand, or at the fridge.
Yep. This is ridiculous. The returner is going to do everything in their power to catch the ball now. No more letting it go and the kicking team downing it at the 1.
The rule is only for kickoffs. Punts remain the same.

The risks don't even begin until game full contact. SMH

Damar Hamlin on the Bills’ practice field today, participating in individual drills
Posted by Michael David Smith on May 23, 2023, 3:28 PM EDT

Bills safety Damar Hamlin is continuing to work toward continuing his NFL career, after his heart stopped on the field during a game last season.
Hamlin was on the Bills’ practice field participating in individual drills during today’s Organized Team Activities.

Like other players recovering from injuries, Hamlin was not wearing a helmet and was not a full participant, but videos from reporters on the scene showed him hitting a sled and working on covering receivers, with no apparent limitations.

Bills General Manager Brandon Beane has said Hamlin has been fully cleared, so while the Bills are easing Hamlin into offseason work, from all indications they’re confident that he’ll be ready for full-contact practices and ready for games when the season starts.

Yep. This is ridiculous. The returner is going to do everything in their power to catch the ball now. No more letting it go and the kicking team downing it at the 1. I can see this causing more injuries too. The punter will just squib kick it and the returner will end up getting annihilated while trying to pick it up.
Punters are going to have to get better at hitting the corners.

Nvm, just read Lucky's post

No one watches a kickoff other than the opening and an onsides. People are in the bathroom, the concession stand, or at the fridge.

No one watches KO's because they're doing everything they can to make it not worth even lining up for it. Just picking a random year in the past (2008) only 14.5% of kickoffs were touchbacks. Last year it was 59.7%.

I like the XFL KO rules. Kicker kicks from his own 30, the rest of his team is at the opponents 35 with the other team lined up 5 yards away at the 30 except for the return guy. Only the kicker and the return guy can move until the ball is caught. Touchbacks are brought out to the 35. This almost guarantees there will be a return. Now, the XFL only had 1 KO return TD this past season, but it's still better than lining up and just going through the motions of an NFL KO these days.

And go ahead a take the XFLs onside kick rule too, which is converting a 4th and 15 play. Only thing with that though is that you wouldn't have the element of surprise like the Saints in the Super Bowl. But then how often does a team open a game or a half with an onsides kick?

They are making it so there will be only two types of kick offs, thru the end zone or squib kicks. Can't fair catch a squib.

You didn't watch Devin Hester/Dante Hall/Billy White Shoes Johnson? Nothing can be further from the truth than your post.

Which of them has played in the current NFL?

They changed the rules.

Turpin looked pretty good last yr. So did the UH guy that plays for the Pats.

Patterson is one of the best to ever KR?PR.

Last edited:
I like the XFL KO rules. Kicker kicks from his own 30, the rest of his team is at the opponents 35 with the other team lined up 5 yards away at the 30 except for the return guy. Only the kicker and the return guy can move until the ball is caught. Touchbacks are brought out to the 35. This almost guarantees there will be a return. Now, the XFL only had 1 KO return TD this past season, but it's still better than lining up and just going through the motions of an NFL KO these days.

And go ahead a take the XFLs onside kick rule too, which is converting a 4th and 15 play. Only thing with that though is that you wouldn't have the element of surprise like the Saints in the Super Bowl. But then how often does a team open a game or a half with an onsides kick?
The NFL doesn't want returns. They don't want needless injuries. The whole idea is just to get to the scrimmage plays. What everyone paid/turned on to see. The XFL? What does it matter? You can find another player stocking groceries somewhere.

The NFL doesn't want returns. They don't want needless injuries. The whole idea is just to get to the scrimmage plays. What everyone paid/turned on to see. The XFL? What does it matter? You can find another player stocking groceries somewhere.
Then why bother? Get rid of it. Spot the ball on the 20 after the other team scores & lets get on with it.

Well, I don’t think injuries are much concern to the NFL. If they don’t want returns just eliminate the damn thing and quit trying to tweak the rules that teams will just get around anyway. I tune in to see a football game. The kickoff used to be an exciting part of that, but whatevs.

Get rid of kickoffs all together. If a team scores a touchdown the opposing team starts at the 20. If it’s a field goal, they start at the 25 or 30.
If a team that scores is down, maybe elect for the XFL rule @Speedy mentioned. 4th and 15 on the your 20.

Which of them has played in the current NFL?
Toney almost returned one in the SB. It was a game changing play. Why are you always on board with every rules change? Rules changes overall are bad for the game. IMHO

Toney almost returned one in the SB. It was a game changing play. Why are you always on board with every rules change? Rules changes overall are bad for the game. IMHO
I'm always on board with every rule change??? I'm certainly not on board with this one or many of the others that have come out recently. Why are you always thinking that you are the only one that has a valid opinion? Why can you never answer a question without it being asking a question?

I'm always on board with every rule change??? I'm certainly not on board with this one or many of the others that have come out recently. Why are you always thinking that you are the only one that has a valid opinion? Why can you never answer a question without it being asking a question?
I thought I was replying to a post from Lucky.

I apologize.

Reactions: JB
Get rid of kickoffs all together. If a team scores a touchdown the opposing team starts at the 20. If it’s a field goal, they start at the 25 or 30.

Yep, take away a very important phase of football.

Tell you what, why dont they change the rules where the QB cant be touched? Oh wait...

Needless injuries? Then why is God'ell pushing for Thursday night flex games if he's truly worried about injuries?

People like exciting plays. The KR/PR is one of the most exciting plays in the game. A true tone setting play. Knile Davis 100 yd KR before I could get seated in a playoff game comes to mind.

Reactions: JB
Patriots forfeited OTAs trace to a meeting violation
Posted by Mike Florio on May 25, 2023, 10:34 AM EDT

The Patriots will lose a pair of OTA days for violating the offseason rules. Given that the offseason rules can be violated in many ways, we wanted to find out what the Patriots did.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, it was a meeting violation. According to the source, an observer from the NFL Players Association believed that one of the optional early offseason meetings was a violation, because the 15-minute meeting in question (a special-teams session) was made visible on the internal schedule.

In the opinion of the NFLPA, placing the meeting on the formal schedule converted it from “optional” to “mandatory.”
The violation, per the source, had nothing to do with activities on the practice field, including whether or not there was impermissible contact.

Given the consequences, it was an unforced error that forces the Patriots to lose 20 percent of their OTA sessions for 2023.

Garoppolo suffered proximal metatarsal fractures that did not involve the Lisfranc ligaments the beginning of Dec 2022. The doctors felt that surgery was not necessary. But after going through ~2 1/2 months of conservative treatment, healing evidently did not occur. Therefore in March, Garoppolo needed to have the bones surgically stabilized. Since the team is saying that he hopes to be back for TC, I have to conclude that the fracture repair required bone grafting.

Just a thought, but could we do an NFL Injury thread instead of throwing everything NFL related into this one? Just seems injuries and random news/thoughts ought to be in separate threads. Maybe it's just me. Again, just a thought. I seem to get those from time to time.

Just a thought, but could we do an NFL Injury thread instead of throwing everything NFL related into this one? Just seems injuries and random news/thoughts ought to be in separate threads. Maybe it's just me. Again, just a thought. I seem to get those from time to time.
Start one up

From April 14:

This is post Leonard's 2nd back surgery...........one in June 2022 and another in November 2022. He actually had problems thought to be due to his ankle and calf muscle and the back (spinal/disc) involvement was not diagnosed................leading to ankle surgery instead of addressing his back for at least a year and a half before his first back surgery. He and the team pushed hard for an early return, and he came back too early from his 1st surgery. Fifteen to 20% cannot come back at all following lumbar microdiscectomy. Recurrence of the disc problem occurs in 10-25% of cases. After recurrence, the percentages of future recurrence increases logarithmically. I wish the talented young man well, but his initial misdiagnosis with its delayed surgical treatment has gotten the ball rolling in the wrong direction.

************************************************************************************

Colts

Colts HC Shane Steichen said LB Shaquille Leonard is “progressing well” from his second back surgery but wouldn’t put a timetable on his return.

“Shaq has been progressing well,” Steichen said, via Nate Atkins of the Indianapolis Star. “I’m not going to put a timetable on his return.”

Colts LB Zaire Franklin mentioned Leonard is “feeling good” and he’s frequently rehabbing at the team facility.

“I know he’s getting after it,” said Franklin. “It’s no lack of work that he’s putting in. I know he’s feeling good about the work he’s putting in. Last year was a lot for him, both on and off the field. I see him in there every day doing everything he can to get back. He’s just taking his time. He has a long road to it, but he’s making some progress and he’ll be ready to go.”

*************************************************************************************

Today:

No timetable for Shaquille Leonard to resume practicing

Posted by Josh Alper on May 26, 2023, 8:05 AM EDT

Colts linebacker Shaquille Leonard said in April that he’s feeling better than he was at any point during a 2022 season that was almost entirely wiped out because of injuries, but he hasn’t quite made it to the point where he’s ready to get on the field with the rest of the team.

Leonard dealt with a concussion during the season, but it was back issues that created the longer absences from the lineup last year. He was operated on before the season and had another operation in November that closed the door on any return to action.

On Thursday, Colts head coach Shane Steichen said Leonard’s condition is continuing to improve but that no one is ready to say when he’ll resume football work.

“He’s progressing well. Again, I don’t have a timetable right now for you on that, but he’s progressing well. He’s doing a nice job,” Steichen said, via Kevin Hickey of USAToday.com.

While there may not be a formal timetable, the likeliest target for a return to on-field action seems to be training camp this summer. If all goes well, Steichen will be able to count on the three-time All-Pro in the middle of the defense.

*****************************************************************************************

Average return to play post lumbar microdiscectomy in an elite NFL athlete is ~5 months. If he is able to return for TC, it will already be ~9 months. Then the question becomes how long will he be able to stay on the field.

This article talks about 7 teams that might make the jump (including one you know well), and it also touches on the new KO rules which are total crap imho.

Regarding the KO situation, why pussyfoot around at this point. Just take KO's away and as someone mentioned spot it at the 20 for TD's and the 25 for FG's. Do I like it? No. But I like it better than this garbage.

A smart Ohio State graduate who didn't know?..............after Ridley.............after the rookie symposium.............after the NFLPA memorandum............Florio would have a difficult time in the real world as an in-court defense attorney.

**********************************************************************************************

Jameson Williams claims he didn’t know about the gambling policy
Posted by Mike Florio on May 26, 2023, 10:29 AM EDT

When last month’s five-player wave of gambling suspensions included four Lions players, the message was obvious — whatever the Lions are doing to tell their players about the NFL’s gambling policy, the Lions aren’t doing enough.

Receiver Jameson Williams underscored that point on Thursday, when he told reporters he didn’t even know about the gambling policy before he learned that he had violated it.

Surely, the Lions at some point communicated the basic information to Williams and other players. But the Lions clearly didn’t do a sufficient job of sending a message about the rule and the consequences for breaking it.

Look, he knows,” coach Dan Campbell said Thursday, via Eric Woodyard of ESPN.com. “He’s gotten it from everybody. So, look, it happened. It’s an emphasis of the league right now. It’s a big thing, our players know. We’ve tried to hammer it home. Certainly, we did after that point and hit it two more times and we’ll keep doing it.”

While Williams surely knows now, the problem is that he didn’t know then. If he knew, he wouldn’t have committed such a clear and obvious violation that will sideline him for six games to start the 2023 season.

As one coach recently explained it to PFT, the onus is on the teams to interpret the policy and teach it to the players. “If you have a bunch of students failing the class,” the coach said, “that’s on the teacher.”

The Lions had four F’s handed out last month, with two players suspended for at least a year (and promptly expelled) and two others suspended for six games.

The proof is in the pari-mutuel pudding. It’s not a coincidence. The players didn’t know. Williams said he didn’t know. Which means that the Lions didn’t do a good enough job making sure they knew.

And what the players need to know isn’t just the policy, but the very serious reactions for violating it.

Back